1st Trimester

Career Move 5 weeks pregnant

Hi Everyone!!  So happy to be here :)  I moved over from the Infertility board finally!!!
So I put in for a new job over a month ago.  Figured I was out but got a call for an interview a couple of weeks ago.  My interview was Wednesday last week and I took my positive pt Wednesday morning!  It was very difficult to concentrate during my interview but I still think I did great.  I find out today if I got the job or not.  This would be a huge step in my career both in reaponsibilites and financially.  I would be over the moon if i got it. 1. In your opinion, would this be a good move?  2. Should I tell them off the bat that I'll be out on maternity leave in 8 months?  THANKS!!

Re: Career Move 5 weeks pregnant

• roxarn87 said:
    Hi Everyone!!  So happy to be here :)  I moved over from the Infertility board finally!!!
    So I put in for a new job over a month ago.  Figured I was out but got a call for an interview a couple of weeks ago.  My interview was Wednesday last week and I took my positive pt Wednesday morning!  It was very difficult to concentrate during my interview but I still think I did great.  I find out today if I got the job or not.  This would be a huge step in my career both in reaponsibilites and financially.  I would be over the moon if i got it. 1. In your opinion, would this be a good move?  2. Should I tell them off the bat that I'll be out on maternity leave in 8 months?  THANKS!!
    If you think that this is a good career move for you even as you start your family, then go for it. It’s better to take an opportunity and then step back later if needed than sabotage yourself because you think it MIGHT not work out. Then you’ve already failed at it.

If they offer you the job I would tell them that you are pregnant, if only to get your maternity leave nailed down in your negotiations. Technically you won’t be eligible for FMLA (unless it’s the same company you work for now) and they wouldn’t be required to hold the position for you to return to after your leave. You also would probably not be covered by short term disability insurance, if they offer it. It would probably be considered a pre-existing condition, so you may want to consider that for what you need for salary negotiations.

Good luck!
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Everything I've read suggests you should tell them after you have an offer. 

Your pregnancy status can not be used to deny you the job, however, it's very possible for pregnancy to consciously or subconsciously play a part in choosing who to give an offer to. 

You should wait to have an offer because it would be really hard for them to pull the offer without it looking like sex discrimination. 

Meggyme is right with all the FMLA and leave stuff. You really really need to negotiate that as part of the offer stage because you otherwise may not be eligible. 
  • Loading the player...
  • LaceyBee522LaceyBee522 member
    edited March 2018
    @roxarn87 You are going through exactly what I did about six months ago. I was interviewing for a more challenging position with a much higher salary at a new company when I found out I was pregnant. I got the job offer and accepted. While negotiating my offer, I did ask for additional vacation days. I did not tell them I was pregnant, as it was so early. I let them know when I was about 16 weeks so we can start prepping for me to be out. I would not change my decision because this job is a great opportunity for me and I plan to return after the kids come. A couple things I would say you should think about:
    - Starting a new job is tough, whether or not your pregnant. There area always people to impress and you're going to be taking in sooo much new information. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done - especially during the exhaustion of first tri.
    - My new company does not offer maternity leave, if you haven't been there for at least a year. Just something to think about. I will get short term disability, but it is a tiny fraction of my salary and not enough to live on. I'm saving now and MH husband will help support us while I'm out. I am taking several weeks unpaid.

Definitely do what is best for you. I chose not to put my career on hold for this pregnancy, but that just doesn't work for everyone. GL and I hope everything works out great for you!

ETA: One more thing I would note, the company I'm at now has been extremely understanding about my high number of doctor appointments. I'm high risk with twins, so I think I'm going in more than the average pregnant lady, but it is just something for you to think about. Ensure you'll have that flexibility, if needed. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CecilB93CecilB93 member
    edited March 2018
    I agree with everything everyone has said. I got hired for a job when I was about 5 months pregnant, so it was kind of obvious in my case, but it never came up during interviews. I wouldn't say anything right away if you don't want to, you should still be fine to wait until you're comfortable to announce. With my first I did not have any sort of maternity leave pay, but they did hold my spot for me even though I'd only been with the company for a couple months. So I wouldn't count on paid leave unless you get PTO to start (I didn't as I was part time). But if you want to tell them right away, I agree to at least wait until you get the offer. Maybe during your first day if you have to go over policies and procedures bring it up then, ask if you could have any sort of coverage or not, that's when I confirmed it with my company.

ETA: definitely do not let your pregnancy keep you from accepting a new job though!!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• izza2izza2 member
    As someone who's just gone through a couple of interviews and was offered positions (and I'm currently 26 weeks/~6 months) -- there's no reason to bring it up during the interview itself, and it's illegal for the person you're interviewing with to ask you about it, even if it's obvious.

I told the place that didn't already know (the first interview was at the hospital I've been working at for a few years; the ladies I interviewed with are friends and they knew I was pregnant already) once they called and made me an offer. I told them I was pregnant, what my plans were/etc., and they made it clear they'd work with me.
    You don't even have to tell them once you accept the offer. You can wait until you've signed all the papers and bring it up then.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• izza2 said:
    As someone who's just gone through a couple of interviews and was offered positions (and I'm currently 26 weeks/~6 months) -- there's no reason to bring it up during the interview itself, and it's illegal for the person you're interviewing with to ask you about it, even if it's obvious.

I told the place that didn't already know (the first interview was at the hospital I've been working at for a few years; the ladies I interviewed with are friends and they knew I was pregnant already) once they called and made me an offer. I told them I was pregnant, what my plans were/etc., and they made it clear they'd work with me.
    You don't even have to tell them once you accept the offer. You can wait until you've signed all the papers and bring it up then.
    Actually, interestingly enough, it's not illegal to ask about it. What's illegal is basing a hiring decision on pregnancy status. So it's pretty pointless (or it should be if these are decent people operating within the law) to ask the question, but the question itself is not illegal. 

https://www.askamanager.org/2011/01/is-that-interview-question-legal.html

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/foia/letters/2007/pregnancy_discrimination.html
  • Congratulations!
  • @roxarn87 congrats on getting the job!!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Thank you!!! :)
  • @roxarn87 Congrats!   I am looking to change my role as well and the information the ladies gave was awesome!  I interviewed at 7 months pregnant with my oldest daughter and got the job and they held my position.  They were an awesome group to work with! I will make a year in September, so I'm praying that I don't have to go on bedrest or anything of that nature prior to then!

Me: 43  Hubs: 42 
    Married My BFF 3/22/10
    3 Beautiful Girls: 17, 21, 23 (previous marriage)
    Tubal Reveral: 10/12
    Ecoptic: 3/13 (Lost Right Tube, Left Tube Blocked)
    IVF #1: 3/14  = BFN 
    IVF #2: 3/15  = BFN
    IVF #3: 6/15  = BFN
    FET#1: 11/17 = BFN
    Endometrial Scratch: 2/18
    FET #2: 3/18  = BFP! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks @Amber1174!!  And good luck to you as well!!