Infertility

Intro / Feb. FET (child mentioned)

Hi ladies, it's been a long time since I've posted here but my DH and I just met with our RE and we're getting ready to begin out FET cycle hopefully by the end of January which should set us up for a February FET.

Little bit of background... My DH and I started TTC in 2013 and we started infertility treatment in January 2015. We tried several cycles of timed intercourse with Clomid which didn't work. I also had many anovulatory cycles so we skipped IUI all together. In October 2015 we tried IVF and by some miracle got pregnant on our first fresh cycle :) My son turned one in July 2017 and a few months prior to that we began TTC naturally without any luck. We met with our RE this past October to begin infertility again. I started the OCP in late October (which I eventually stopped taking in late November according to my RE's orders) and I had an in-office Hysteroscopy in November in order to start the process. My RE however found some unterine scar tissue which needed to be removed via another Hysteroscopy in early December at the hospital in day surgery.  The scar tissue was caused by the D&C I had for my retained placenta after giving birth to my son in July of 2016. After my November Hysteroscopy I bled heavily for two weeks which apparently wasn't normal. My RE thinks I finally got my period after not having it since the end of 2015, right before I got pregnant. 

Anywho, Santa brought me my period for Christmas this year (I've never been so happy to get my period!). We met with our RE again yesterday and she approved us to begin our FET as soon as my next period begins... We have to wait for insurance approval. I'll be on an Estrace and Progesterone in oil protocol.

That's my story / intro. Wondering if there are any other ladies out there starting a FET in February :) 

Re: Intro / Feb. FET (child mentioned)

• I will be doing my FET in Feb as well. I am a few days away from my ER and was told around mid Feb would be when we would be looking to transfer. 

TW ** child and loss mentioned**
    I did my first round of IVF in 2015 and got pregnant with twins boys, went into early labor and they spent almost 2 months in the hospital but came home relatively healthy. In June one of my twins passed because of lung issues (from being so premature) and an issue with an artery near his heart (had no clue about it prior). I got pregnant from a 2nd FET that we were already working towards when my son passed and I felt like he wanted us to keep going. Lost the pregnancy at 10.5 weeks and found out she was a girl and had trisomy 9. We were told that was fairly incompatible with life so it gave me closure that she would never have had a life without pain so I would rather her not suffer and keep my son company waiting for us to join them in the future. 2017 has been a terrible year of loss for my family but we still want to add to it. My now 2 yrs old surviving twin son is amazing and when he is around his newborn cousins he is so sweet. I can't wait to see him as a big brother.
    END TW**

Good luck with your FET! How do you think your son will be with a new baby? It's always amazing how quickly they adapt whether young or older.
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    History in the spoiler (child and pregnancy loss mentioned)
    IVF #1 - Jan 2015 - 25 eggs retrieved down to 4 blasts to freeze
    FET #1 - March 2015 -- BFP twin boys
    Lost one twin June 2017
    FET #2 - August 2017 -- BFP single girl
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    IVF #2 - Jan 2018 - 13 eggs retrieved down to 1 blast
    IVF #3 - June 2018 - BFN (transferred 2, 1 from previous cycle and 1 adopted embryo)
    Break from TTC and IVF
    FET # 4 - Unknown start date, waiting to finalize everything

• @mandurz I am so incredibly sorry to hear about the losses you have encountered over the year. It sounds like you and your family are incredibly strong and positive. I truly wish you the best during this next FET. Happy to share this FET journey with you :) 

What type of protocol are you on? I've never had a FET so I'm not sure what to expect or if there's something I should be doing to prepare my body. My RE and nurses say it's much easier than IVF which sounds about right.

Ha! I have no idea how my son will react. He's veryyyy attached to me so it should be interesting if we are blessed to have another baby join the family. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mechelita44 for me after ER I will be on BCP for a month and after I get AF they will do baseline ultrasound and blood work. I will have an estrogen ring, and start estrogen shots twice a week. I do that for almost 2 weeks before starting PIO shots (which I start 5 days before transfer and continue until 12 weeks pregnant). Will have a beta 14days after transfer and first ultrasound 4weeks after transfer.

For anything pregnancy related I would just prep with trying to have as healthy of a lifestyle as you can. I ditched caffeine and try to lower processed sugars and such. I stay pretty active chasing around a 2 yr old lol as I am sure you are either getting there or already there (I am not sure how mobile yours is yet). 
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    IVF #3 - June 2018 - BFN (transferred 2, 1 from previous cycle and 1 adopted embryo)
    Break from TTC and IVF

• @mandurz Keep me posted on things! I'm still waiting for my period... My cycles are irregular so if I don't get a period by the end of the month my RE wants me to come in for blood work and possibly start OCP to get my period. Just got insurance approval so now I just wait.... Ahh!
  • My ER will be Wednesday morning, a little later than we expected but we could still be on track for a very late Feb transfer. I am glad you got your insurance approval! That has got to be a load of your mind knowing you are ready to get going just need AF.
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• I got 13 eggs, 10 of which were mature and all 10 fertilized. Now waiting til I get the call Wednesday with how many we have to test and freeze. I am so excited.
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• @mandurz 10 fertilized eggs is excellent!!!! I hope you get plenty of eggs to freeze as well! Don't you hate the wait?! Ahh! Anticipation during infertility is a exhausing but it's part of the process. I'm wishing for my period over here, something I never thought I'd want so badly!
  • I definitely agree about wanting the period to come so badly and being surprised at yourself for wanting it so bad. The wait sucks. I should get it Wednesday (same day I get the freezing report). How many embryos do you have waiting for you?
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• Having cramps now... wondering if my period is coming... which would be pretty early since I got it 12/25 (technically 12/27 since 12/25 was just spotting). Of course I am going away Friday night to Monday! Ugh timing! Could be a false alarm but there is definitely something going on down there. My nurses and RE are going to discuss my case Friday and figure out a plan just in case my period does arrive early. AHH! It's always something. 

I have 8 frozen embryos. We are only going to transfer one though. Originally I had 27 eggs retrieved, 15 fertilized and 8 suitable for freezing. We did a fresh IVF cycle right then (back in November 2015) and I got pregnant. Still can't believe how lucky we were.

Did you get your freeze report today???
  • I got it Tuesday evening. Only one made it to freeze. I was crushed, we were hoping for at least 2. We are trying to figure out if we are going go for just the one and risk that the PGS testing comes back not good or if we want to do another ER. Dr office was closed yesterday cuz of snow in Eastern NC and I am pretty sure will be closed or delayed opening today as well. I am trying to find out how much just an ER costs and how soon we can start if that's the path we choose. 

Well I hope schedule doesn't go completely crazy if it does show up early. I am waiting for mine after ER last Wednesday so I have a few more days. At least with the trigger it's a little less guessing when it should show, usually 10-14 days after trigger.
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• I'm so sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for. As we all know, going through infertility is such an emotional process, so many ups and so many downs. You just have to look at every up in the best light possible. Hopefully your one is THE one :)  And if you do have another ER, hopefully it is even more successful. Have you decided on what's next?

Still waiting for my period. I took a HPT hoping that maybe just maybe my body learned to get pregnant on it's own... Alas, it did not. If it doesn't come by Friday, I have to call my clinic and come in for blood work.
  • I have an appointment tomorrow to discuss doing another egg retrieval with the Dr and to go over timeline of how that would go and if we will alter the protocol or not. Honestly I think me being sick during the stimulation hurt the quality of the eggs, I may be wrong but that's how I feel right now. And now that I am finally getting over the cold, doing another retrieval using the same protocol might yield better results. We shall see what the Dr thinks tomorrow. We will also discuss the details of how long the other embryos lasted cuz all I got from the lab was that only one made it out of 10. No other details at all. I want to know if they grew slowly, or if they didn't divide normally, or anything they can give me that might help deciding how to proceed this next time. 

I understand the hope of thinking, maybe just maybe it happened on its own. My husband still hold out hope every once in a while. But really in my case I don't ovulate without meds like at all. And even if by some miracle I did, my egg quality is so low that whatever egg miraculously decided to release on its own probably wouldn't last long enough to sustain a pregnancy. My first ER resulted in 25 eggs, 20 of which were mature, 19 fertilized and only 4 made it to day 5. So with this last ER 13 eggs, 10 mature, 10 fertilized and only 1 making it to day 5. I have a pretty low percentage of survival. Knowing that I would never try to get pregnant without IVF. 
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• Sorry I've been MIA, the bump app has been acting up on my phone and I keep getting kicked out of the community boards. Seems to finally be working again.

I'm so sorry to hear that this cycle isn't going as hoped. It's so hard to invest so much time, effort, money, and most of all, your emotional well-being being. I hope you were able to have a good conversation with your doctor appointment what happened this time around and what can be done to improve things next time. Any updates on your next egg retrieval?

AFM, I got AF on 1/28. Started Estrace on 1/30 and yesterday I had bloodwork. They increased my Estrace dose from 3-1mg pills day and night to 4-1mg pills day and night because my Estradiol levels were a little low. I go back Monday for more bloodwork.
  • How is it going? I have been dealing with what feels like the never ending cold in my house. Just as one person is getting over it someone else starts up and it has rotated around between my husband, son, and myself for the past month and change. It got so bad that my son wasn't eating or drinking for over 24 hrs (scary). He is doing better but I again have gotten hit with the sinus congestion. I will be very glad to be over this cold for good. 

Hope your prep for FET is going well should be coming up soon I am guessing.
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• Ughhh cold season is the worst. Definitely a vicious cycle. Poor little guy, it so hard to see them not eat or drink. My husband always gets a sinus infection will the every cold so I can understand your sinus troubles. He's always using Flonase and the Netti Pot!

Welp, hit some road blocks again. My Estrace dose started at 3mg in the AM and PM, then up to 4, then up to 5. Had my lining check, estradiol and progesterone checks Monday and my lining was still not think enough so they changed my protocol again... This time 1mg AM/PM but vaginally. So strange but I hope it works. I go back Sunday for another US and BW. Hoping that all goes well. If so, my transfer will be on 2/23...
  • I hope it works out well Sunday. I am sure it feels like forever from now but it's not too far away.
    My Dr had upped my metformin dose at my last appointment and JUST now got approved by insurance. I can't believe it took that long. So I called my nurse and asked if we can get the ball rolling for the prior authorization for the shots. Last time the prior authorization got denied and no one told me why so meds we're 3k out of pocket. This time I am giving it more than enough time to get everything rolling to maybe get approval before. I wish I could order meds overseas but I don't think my clinic goes for that at all.
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• It's such a pain in the behind that so much of this revolves around insurance. I don't know much about metformin, is it prep for another egg retrieval?
  • With PCOS metformin can help. In fact it is the leading medication prescribed to women with PCOS who are trying to conceive. My Re told me that one thing it helps with is the eggs. He said with PCOS it can make the eggs "mushy" and he has had better results with PCOS eggs if the woman was on metformin first. 
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• I see! I hope it works like it should!!! When do you think you're next egg retrieval will be?

My FET was yesterday... Now, we wait. Ahhhh

• As long as things follow close to the same schedule as last time I am guessing my next ER will be at the end of March. My SIL suggested that I add flax seed to might diet. It is apparently a super food. So I talked to my RE about it just to make sure it wouldnt hinder the fertility part of things and he said go for it. I got a coffee grinder and the whole flax seeds. I also got smoothie blends and decided to add it in there, honestly it wasnt really noticeable other than it was grainier more than normal. I hope making all these changes really help the egg quality and we will have better results with this next ER and PGS testing. 

So the big question is do you POAS before beta or no? if so how soon do you start? I am definitely one to test before hand and my last FET I started on 7dp5dt. I think this time I might wait til day 9 instead. just giving less chance of seeing a negative test when it really worked. 
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• mechelita44mechelita44 member
    edited March 2018
    End of March is not too far away. I will think positive thoughts for you along the way! I always wonder if certain foods really do help. I've read about almost all of them it seems, some I try, some I've never even heard of so I stay away haha. I have heard flaxseed was good. I make toast and sandwiches with Dave's Killer Bread which has a lot of flaxseed. And I add flaxseed meal to smoothies, oatmeal and energy bites. Supposedly pineapple is good too, especially after a transfer I guess? Needless to say, I've been popping lots of pineapple into my smoothies this week.

I'm definitely a no POAS before beta gal. I've probably taken 30-40 at home pregnancy tests and they've all been negative. Call me superstitious but I feel like they have a bad Omen for me, so I'm staying away. Soooooooo I'll have to just wait one more week. I'm already loosing my mind. Thank goodness for my son and my business for keeping me distracted...
  • You are much stronger than I am for sure! 1 week seems like such a short time but during the 2ww it always feels like a lifetime. I am sure chasing after one will help this time around for sure. First time around I didn't have anything but work to distracte me during that time and that was not even remotely enough to keep me from not thinking about ONLY how much longer I had to wait for beta. 

For me I am super excited cuz adding the flax seed, CoQ 10, and this time RE wants to try adding dexamethasone (a steroid). And doing some reading about the dexamethasone it seems most studies show a better response to stimulation meds with it. So I am positive that I am on the right track to get amazing results.
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• How's the diet add ons and new meds working? Are you being monitored closely? Are you still on track for your ER???

I go in tomorrow for my beta. Wow. Fibally one more sleep. Big prayers
  • I am anxiously waiting to hear good news here! I know the wait after the blood draw for the phone call is probably worse than the whole 2 weeks combined. 

So far yes still on track for ER, just took last BCP today and now the wait for AF begins. If no AF by 3/14 will go and have blood work and ultrasound anyway, so I should start stimming by the 14th at the latest. 
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• I am positive that I am going to hear good news from you, sitting on the edge of my chair lol.

I started spotting today so as long as it picks up (which it usually does fairly quickly) today will be my day 1. I am so excited to get going again cuz I know that we will get better results this time for sure. 
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• BETA WAS POSITIVE!!!!!!!! Ahhh I can't even believe it!!! I still don't think it will feel real until I get my next two betas on Monday and Wednesday. I feel like I can't say I'm pregnant yet until Wednesday. Praying my numbers increase like they should! I'm of course freaking myself out a little because my beta with my first pregnancy was higher, over 800, and this time it's 180... But I did get my beta drawn one day sooner than last time. I also did a fresh cycle last time, this time frozen, no clue if that matters. My nurse said the number was good so I should just trust her and go with that!

YAY for finishing you BCP and for spotting!!!! Isn't it amazing how excited we get to get our periods?!! Any other time we dred it or it's heartbreaking, not so when prepping for an IVF or ET! I hope things ramp up and you can start your meds tomorrow!
  • Ahhh!! I am so happy for you! 180 might seem low but it still means positive! I know it's hard but don't stress too much about the number focus on getting to the ultrasound, after that the number doesn't matter.

And it is definitely day 1 today, it went for barely there light spotting to full on with a vengeance in a matter of 3 hours. It was surprising seeing as I had barely been 24 hrs without taking a pill. But I guess my body is as ready as I am.
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• So I get delayed again. Ultrasound showed right ovary had a large (22mm) follicle so will have to trigger that to release and try again after AF shows up again. Not sure when I will trigger cuz the nurse said she would have to ask the Dr what he wanted to do. Funny thing about this is, the first ivf I did (when I got pregnant with the twins) the same exact thing happened in the beginning. So maybe it's a good sign that this will be a successful cycle for me... following the same bump in the road as the successful cycle.
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• Hi! Sorry MIA again, I am really bad at this lately! So my numbers went up like they should have, phew. 180 on a Friday, then 642 on Monday, then 1192 on Wednesday. My US is next week on 3/30, again another long 2 week wait. AHH. My latest freak out is that I have no real symptoms... I am tired all the time, but I'm always tired because I am chasing my 20 month old around! And I've been really cold lately, and I am ALWAYS hot. I read that being cold is an early sign due to hormones, progesterone and basil body temp... so I am going with that. Last time I was pregnant around this time, I was already super tired, had nausea and tender breasts. It is SO hard not to compare the two. Today in the shower I asked the baby to bring on the pregnancy signs! I hope he or she was listening :)

So strange how are bodies work! Another delay, I am so sorry this keeps happening. IVF definitely tests our patience but like you said, your last IVF this happened too so maybe this is what your body needs to do before it can prepare for another IVF. What's the timeline now... another couple of weeks AF will show up? Are they having you get AF naturally or are you on BC?
  • I am so glad your numbers went up like they should. I know you are going to be so excited to get to that first ultrasound. I bet you are super exhausted chasing your toddler and being tired from the hormones. With my last transfer, having my son and being pregnant (even if for a short time) was very exhausting for sure. Just try and rest when you get the chance (I know those chances are usually few and far between but when you do actually get the chance, take it). It's impossible not to compare at every step, but we all know things may or may not be different. 

Ugh, yeah having even more delays suck. I even got to the point of feeling like the universe was screaming at me to stop trying for more. Because ever since we made the choice to have more it feels like we have had nothing but bad things happen. But I am working through that and just moving forward. As it stands I have to wait 4 weeks from when I started to see if AF will come on it's own....it won't and I, the Dr, and everyone else knows it. So I will call at the 4 week mark and schedule an appointment to see what our next steps are. Most likely BCP for 10 days again. What sucks about this time over what happened the first time, is the first time the follicle was producing estrogen meaning it was maturing an egg and all I had to do was trigger ovulation and we kept moving (only a 2 week delay), this time it wasn't so it was a cyst and we can't do anything but wait and see if it goes away on it's own. I did had some significant cramps on the right side a few days ago so here's hoping that was a good sign of it doing something like bursting and going away. 
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• US is on Friday, I cannot wait. I just neeeeeeed to get to Friday morning, then I can rest easy! I got sick this weekend. Nausea and food aversions, and I was beyond exhausted, more so than usual --- I even got a few quick naps in. Hoping that was my first real pregnancy symptom!

Ugh I hear ya. Each time we'd try, we thought we'd just jump right into the process... and each time we hit some sort of roadblock that would delay things for months so I know how you feel. And it's so hard to be patient when you feel like infertility is the ultimate test of patience --- at least that's how I felt. I just kept telling myself that the delays were there for a a good reason, like to protect the baby and give us the best possible outcome. I am hoping that that's why you keep getting delayed... all these set backs will lead to be best possible outcome for you and your family :)
  • Good luck with the ultrasound today! I can't wait to hear how it goes. If you want I would love to see a picture.
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• I can't believe it has taken me this long to respond! I am slacking on the Bump forums for sure! I think I have pregnancy brain big time! Plus my son has been sick, which means I've been sick with his never ending cough and just recently a stomach bug, all while launching my new business (baby and toddler clothes :) 

I'm 12 weeks this week! Can't believe I'm almost in the second trimester. Baby has been healthy and measuring well :)

How are YOU??!!!!?!?
  • mandurzmandurz member
    Wow that is awesome! Getting over the first trimester hurdle is a great accomplishment. Will you be finding out the sex of the baby?

I am doing good, had my er may 1st. And we got 6 eggs, all mature and all fertilize. Just gotta wait for the freeze report monday, then the PGS results 2-3 weeks after. 
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• Definitely a big milestone! I'm ready to start telling people, I can't hide my bump anymore! We didn't find out the gender with our first and won't this time either. It's such a cool surprise!

6 eggs!!! Great news!!!!! I hope you get a great results. You've gone through a lot to get here. I will be praying for you!!!
  • mandurzmandurz member
    I feel like I can't catch a break to be honest. None of the 6 survived to freeze. At this point my hope is out the window. I get that we still have one from Jan but I still have to get it pgs tested and with bad news coming from them at almost every turn, I feel like I shouldn't even hope for that o e to be viable for transfer, like if I even remotely felt good about it I would be setting myself up for yet another disappointment.

I am so glad you are doing so well! Don't let my inner Debbie Downer get you down. Once you start showing it becomes more real and even more exciting. Any weird cravings? How is the spring heat treating you? Summer will SUCK! Last time I was in my first trimester and that was torture...so I can imagine being much further along the heat being soooo much worse.
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF

• I am so incredibly sorry. You really have been through so much already, it's so not no fair that this keeps happening to you. And I know how impossible it is to stay positive. Sometimes you need to just be angry and emotional before you can move on. Maybe some time away from all of this will help? Ugh. I'm so sorry. I keep thinking of you and praying for good things, I don't intend to stop!

I'm doing okay. Still getting the morning sickness. I thought it was over but it keeps coming back to haunt me! We started telling people too which is nice because I honestly look about 20 weeks pregnant and I'm only 14! Ugh the heat! I'm in New England and we've only had a handful of hotvdays and ibwas struggling! My first baby was born early July so I only had to deal with June heat. The July and August heat should be interesting...
  • mandurzmandurz member
    I feel like we JUST caught a break and I am thrilled...
    Dr offered to give me a donated embryo for free!!! So we will have fet with our one from jan and the one donated. 

I am on BCP right now and will take my last pill June 5th. Likely transfer date will be within the range of the 24-30th ish depending on when I start af after stopping the BCP. Did saline ultrasound today and everything looked good. When my Dr said he is going to give me one embryo I literally had to stop so my brain could understand what he just said, then my response was "I love you" lol. I was prepared to ask about embryo adoption going into this appointment but he jumped on that train before I could even get the words out. These last several months have been really hard and to finally feel like we get to catch a break is just awesome. 
    Married since 2009 
    Me-PCOS DH-nothing wrong
    Lost one twin June 2017
    Miscarriage Oct 2017
    Break from TTC and IVF