July 2018 Moms

Fit Mom Friday 3/23

Hope @kissableviv doesn't mind me starting this!

Started selfishly because I need some accountability.

How are y'all doing with exercise routines?  How did the past week go?  Plans for the next week?

What is your current go-to?  

Runners- are you using a band at this point?  How far along are you?
Met: 1/21/2005
Married: 6/27/2008
DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
M/C 6/2012
DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
M/C 12/12/2016
BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Fit Mom Friday 3/23

• How are y'all doing with exercise routines?  How did the past week go?  Plans for the next week?

I've been trying to stick to a routine, but snow days and kids' schedules are killing me a bit.  I ran 3+ miles on Monday, then nothing Tuesday; shoveled quite a bit Wednesday, then nothing yesterday; debating running or Yoga today, probably Yoga because running on Monday gave me side cramps so I think I need to get a band.

What is your current go-to?  
    Love running, hoping to get to a cycling class again (went twice in a week's span last week), and yoga.  I also like some of the BeachBody second tri workouts.

Runners- are you using a band at this point?  How far along are you?
    25 weeks and I think I need to get a band.  It's getting heavy and I'm getting cramps (muscular) on the sides now.  Ugh.
    M/C 6/2012
    M/C 12/12/2016

• We're on the same wavelength @WorkinWeezel I need accountability too!

I got in all 4 of my workouts last week, three this week. Energy still feels pretty good/high, but my belly is starting to get in the way of things like tying my own shoes! Gonna have to figure out a clever work around once I'm too big because I really don't want to make DH or someone at the studio tie them for me.

Still Jazzercising 4 days a week and trying to remember to do more stretching and wanted to get back to my TRX more but our garage has been overtaken again for various projects DH is working on.

I'm 25 weeks 1 day, and think I'm gonna need to get a band for support during some of the bouncier dance routines. I've looked into a few, but haven't figured out which is going to be the most comfortable. I've gone back to wearing my booband because I'm feeling extra bouncy up top again. I don't love it, but it beats feeling like my boobs are going to smack me in the face.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a rough week last week and was way too exhausted to do anything. I'm home today and I'll go for a jog later this afternoon, only 2-3 miles. This weekend I'm going to barre class.

I have no insight on support bands, I've never used one, but I carry kind of weird and my bump doesn't pop out as much. I explain it as I carry like a barrel while some people carry like a bowling ball.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @runsomewhere I'm actually a little relieved you mentioned you carry like a barrel, I've been starting to feel like I'm carrying like that and it is messing with my self confidence. I don't have a cute bump like others, feel more like I am the bump.
  • @noideawhatshesdoing thanks for relating, it's definitely something I struggle with.

I am fairly comfortable with my body but I have think thighs and wear a 32DD. My body is balanced out my my small waist and I have a nice stomach. When I'm pregnant I just get thick in the middle so I lose my shape and literally feel like I am wearing a big barrel! I don't look cute, I don't have the cute bump, it kinda makes me feel really ugly and frumpy.

BUT on the positive side of things, I found that the way I carry was/is easier on my body because the weight and baby are more centered. I flattened out almost immediately after giving birth to DD and did not have problems with stretched skin since it was all kind of distributed evenly, if that makes sense.

So I guess there are positives and negatives to all body types and all ways of carrying a pregnancy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @runsomewhere OMG I think we're body type twins. I've really been struggling with my vanishing waistline. I thought I'd be more ok about it once I started showing, but most days I just feel like a thick log! Plus my dance studio has fat mirrors and another woman there is due about the same time I am and is rocking the cute bump, which makes me feel even thicker! Hoping the more even distribution works out in my favor!
  • I haven't done much this week as I've been so freaking busy. I'm in Texas now and I'm going to get a long walk in this afternoon and will add some squats and wall push-ups. I'm going to check out the local YMCA and see if I can get a pass to go at least a couple of times next week. Should be nice enough for a swim this weekend!

I have not needed a band, I'm 25 weeks tomorrow. I'm still not very big. But it's a good idea especially if you're running! 
  • This week has gone well! Worked out 4 days straight, Saturday-Tuesday. Then Wednesday we started working out and my hubby started to not feel good, so we went home. Thursday was good and planning to go after work today. 

Still rotating 30 mins cardio, either incline walking, elliptical or stationary bike, and 30 mins weight training, upper then lower body. Just mixing them up and getting a full hour in each day.

I stopped running early on in my pregnancy, but I feel like a band is around the corner with walking and ellipticalling. Bought some new sports bras and workout clothes since a lot of my old ones are becoming uncomfortable to wear anymore, so I'm pretty excited about that.
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• @rachelsogo I'm jealous of your new sports bras. I'm down to one that fits.
  • Is it weird that this is my favorite thread on the board?! It’s the only one I think I can keep up with these days.
    Glad all are feeling well and still active!

I slowed down a tad because work has been insane, but also bc I am positive my abs have separated...was adjusting my tights and they were doing a weird triangle thing... so I googled it - bad news.

But, done with the pity party and focused on exercising without further separating them, so back to just the elliptical, stairmaster and weekend spin class - so 4 exercises a week.

Ive been craving sweets a lot - so I eat them and then just exercise that off, and no more. Has been so helpful in regulating the weight gain so far, and keeping the aches down (I think). 

Hoping exercise will fix them post baby vs surgery. Totally bummed.

Also, if you guys find a band you like please do share! I’m not even sure I know what a workout band is...
  • @pretzellover is this your first? Is your belly kind of coning? That can be a sign of early diastasis but it happens to literally EVERYONE to have some degree so don't despair. Lots of great resources on the internet to make it better post baby.

• @kissableviv Yes, FTM and 24+3 today.
    I have a connective tissue autoimmune disorder, so unclear if the diastatsis was provoked by my workouts (heavy weights; maybe a tad too liberal with the abs), or was an inevitability either way. 
    Definitely will address it post baby... hoping it doesn’t get too bad!
  • Awesome ladies!!!  I never wore a band before, but with this being #3 and still wanting/being able to run, I may need it.  I felt great running this weekend without it though, so we'll see.

My abs kind of do that, but they have with each pregnancy and I've not ended up with diastasis. I'm still planking and doing some great second tri workouts and yoga.  Need to get to the chiropractor this week though.
    M/C 6/2012
    M/C 12/12/2016

• I'm 26 weeks and I've officially slowed to 30 minutes of incline walking per day.  I tried to continue running and use a support band but the compression of the support band made me cramp and feel sick to my stomach. When it warms up (hopefully in the next couple of weeks or so), I plan to take an extra walk on my lunch break to counteract all of the sitting I do throughout the day at my desk job. 

It still feels good to move though, I had to stop with DS around 20 weeks because he was sitting so low and the pain in my cervix was killer so I'm proud of myself.  :)
  • Made it to the YMCA this am for a POUND class and it was great! Planning on making use of the $20 week pass. Anyone doing body pump? I was thinking of skipping the ab part at the end altogether. 
  • edited March 2018
    @foxbaby2016 did you just give up the support band completely? Or did you find one that worked better? That was my worry with those, that it would be too supportive and not actually help. I found I was holding my belly a little last night at my workout, but to be honest I think that was just because the jostling kept making me have to go pee and I just wanted to workout. :p 

@kissableviv I haven't done body pump, but when it comes to the ab stuff at my workouts I usually just do a standing version of them, baby hugs or step aside and do a crap ton of squats or something so I'm still getting in that strength training and not cutting my workout short while I still have enough energy.
  • @noideawhatshesdoing true! I may to that or finish up on the bike or treadmill. Thanks for the advice!

I'm not jumping at all, I just don't feel like at this point it's good for me anyway and I can keep my heart rate up in a different way. 
  • @noideawhatshesdoing This was the second one I've tried so I just gave up completely and started walking at an incline instead of running. They are SO expensive...it's hard to justify spending another $45.00... 
  • @foxbaby2016 hmm, that doesn't sound worth it. I'm just so not mentally ready to settle into lower impact especially while I'm still feeling pretty good physically.
  • @noideawhatshesdoing Who knows? Maybe you'll be able to tolerate pressure on your abdomen? I've never been able to handle it with either of my pregnancies though.

I know...it was disappointing for me as well. However, in the past week, I've been feeling increasingly more uncomfortable (just about 27 weeks pregnant now) so I haven't minded it too much this week. 
  • Anyone have any clever solutions to getting your gym shoes tied once belly is totally in the way? Feels like it won't be long before I can't tie my shoes anymore! Might have to get DH to do that for me.
  • I dropped the ball on workouts while we were on vacation last week. I did do a ton of walking though. I went back to orangetheory yesterday and feel like my running days may be about done. So much hip pain! I'm kind of sad but kind of okay with it. I find running with a belly kind of awkward. 
  • @noideawhatshesdoing not really, but if you find one, let me know! Officially on the 'must sit down to put shoes on' boat. I leave my laces tied and just slip them on/off for now for the most part, and cross my leg over to tie a shoe if needed.
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• @rachelsogo I'm flexible enough that I'm still able to do it without having to cross my leg over, but getting there soon. Definitely have to sit to accomplish the task! My dad just had shoulder surgery and he got these weird clips for his laces so he only had to pull them tight with his one good arm, thinking I might try those out. I'll let you know if they work!
  • Two Pilates classes this week and more walking. I’m finally getting back to my regular routine after feeling off/going to bachelorette parties this month so I hope to keep up with the classes. 
  • @noideawhatshesdoing I have a couple of slip ons and was going to try a shoehorn with the laces already done...I can still reach but soon I'm sure things will change! 

Have not been able to get up early to exercise, damn! But I went for a long walk yesterday, and heading into the pool today plus Zumba if I have time. Going to Dallas for a baby shower tomorrow afternoon so I'm hoping to finally wake up early and get a walk in before the long drive. 

@WorkinWeezel I just noticed your first post, lol, I'm happy with whoever gets this post started :)
  • I’m curious how long my fitness routine is going to be maintainable... my original (in my head only!) goal was 7m. But given that’s just 5 weeks away, and given it seems the only days I can reliably poop are morning workout days..., and given it’s a lot easier to work off one dessert at a time versus 3+ months of them - I’m thinking a stretch goal is much needed!!

How are you ladies thinking about it? Are you playing it by ear or do you have a mental line in the sand?
  • @pretzellover that's a good question. I hope to go as far as I can without feeling uncomfortable or like I'm pushing myself too hard. I'm thinking 34 weeks is when I may just do walking and prenatal yoga, maybe swimming? Prenatal yoga I plan to do until the very end.

Zumba, lifting and cycle is all I'm doing now aside from yoga. Gonna play it by ear based on how big I get. I am thinking I'll still do some at home light upper arm workouts to keep my back healthy for when it's time to pick up the babe all the time!

Totally agree on the dessert part...I like enjoying extra treats too and it's difficult to stay on track on days when I don't move much.