Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

How to get through sleepless nights

Hello everyone, it’s been about a week since I’ve had my miscarriage and it’s been hard for me to get through the nights. I’ve been keeping busy throughout the day with my toddler, but as soon as I lay down...my heart aches. I haven’t been able to sleep all week. 

What do you ladies do to get through tough nights?

Re: How to get through sleepless nights

• Options
    I'm so sorry about your loss. Nights were hard for me at first too. Too much thinking to fall asleep. I take 400mg magnesium about an hour to 2 hours before bed and it helps me relax and makes falling asleep a little easier. Sometimes I still wake in the MOTN and have a hard time falling back to sleep. It's been a little over 3wks for me now.
  • Options
    @prpl11butterfly I will definitely give that a try. I’m sorry for your loss. I pray that we both find peace to get through this. Thank you for your help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ble1ble1 member
    I'm sorry for your loss. Nights were the hardest. My mind would race and the quiet let the sadness creep in. My first full night of sleep after my miscarriage, was I fell asleep with the t.v. on. The sound of the tv and just watching something to keep my mind off of everything helped me fall asleep. Also I let our dog sleep in our bed. Dh works nights, so the dog cuddled. Nights will get a little better over time. Hopefully you can get a good nights sleep soon.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry and right there with you - I am 2 weeks out from my D&C. Honestly, we also have a very sick and needy cat (he's 17, chronic kidney failure, diagnosed 1 week after my D&C but he's been sick for months) so sleeping at night is a joke around here anyway. We're up feeding the nocturnal creature who sleeps all day and requires mealtime supervision. I guess it gives us something to do. My husband does most of it - this is a cat he's had since his early 20's) but he wakes me up more than he thinks as I am not really sleeping that great anyway.

It does help me to to journal. And talk. And come here and know I am not alone. Peace and sweet dreams to you soon!
  • Options
    @bethica83 I’m sorry for your loss. Honestly chatting here has been the best thing for me so far. I didn’t participate for a while because I was a little overwhelmed with trying to figure out all the abbreviations. I’ve been journaling my heart out lately as well. We will definitely get through this.
  • Options
    @ble1 I’m sorry for your loss. From the moment I found out I was pregnant, I would always put my hand on my tummy...especially at night. I often find myself doing that at night (unintentionally), reminding myself nothing is there. I really need to find a “light hearted” show to watch on Netflix. I’m willing to try anything to get my mind off everything. Thank you for your response. 
  • Options
    ble1ble1 member
    My netflix show after miscarriage was Hart of Dixie its on Netflix. It has Rachel Bilson in it and I found it really enjoyable. I just started Parks and Recreation and I think thats funny, partly because Dh works for the city and some of he things he says happens is similiar to the show. Its similiar to The Office so far. 
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss. Night time is hard.

Guided meditation apps on my cellphone seemed to help some nights. Sometimes I would fall asleep before I got to the end. I like Headspace and Calm. Hope it helps.