October 2018 Moms
Options

Entertaining toddler on bad days...

meltonjlmeltonjl member
edited March 2018 in October 2018 Moms
Anyone have suggestions on entertaining a 23 month old on days of bad nausea and other symptoms? I’ve tried movies. They aren’t working...

Re: Entertaining toddler on bad days...

• Options
    Daniel tiger. Free on Amazon prime.

We also play “sleep” sometimes, where she tucks me in on the couch and kisses me goodnight and then leaves, and then comes back and “wakes” me. Repeat 40000x
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly I locked my 3 yr old in the play room the other day. No I'm not playing with you, you're surrounded by toys, mommys about to puke so leave me alone. 

But sometimes play doh is a good distraction or coloring. Also those circle stamp markers. 

Sometimes we put all the trucks in a line and then put them back in a drawer. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH has been a lifesaver taking on a lot of the playtime duties with our 23 month old. It's finally starting to warm up around here so last couple weekends we've done some hikes and gone to the park to play. I find the fresh air makes me feel better too and less nauseous. But on rly bad days it's paw patrol and he's pretty good at playing by himself with cars and trucks :)
  • Options
    Play doh, FaceTime with grandma, coloring, and Daniel Tiger have worked well for my two year old.
  • Options

Play-doh, coloring, fingerpainting.  I have kept my 22 month old still with some of her favorite snacks when I just needed a moment to chill (oranges seem to take forever to eat).  Those reusable sticker books by Melissa and Doug (and so much less annoying than regular stickers).   

Sometimes, if my kids are really off the wall after dinner (or mid-afternoon) and nothing is working, we have tubby time.  They love playing in the water and while I can't really go lay down, at least they are in one place and not destroying the house, and I can just sort of monitor them.  And it is so silly, but they love playing with shaving cream, so they can play with that in the tub for a while before I turn the water on.

It is tough.  Hope you are feeling better soon!

image        image

• Options
    Kindle fire with amazon freetime. So many educational games and apps and gives me some moments of peace. Originally only got it for car rides, but I’ve definitely been guilty of giving it to her way more often recently. Oh well, worth it for some silence and to get her to hold still while mommy pukes. 
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone.  I love how DS is suddenly now uninterested in screen time when I really need him to be!
  • Options
    Kinetic sand is really fun and reasonably easy to clean up. Color wonder markers and paper. Netflix and letting yourself off the hook. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Uh...I tell him to go bug his daddy. Duh!

DH is legit the best this go around! He was a twat last go round so I think he’s trying to make up for it. Last weekend he took the 3 year old to the park forever  and then came home with ice cream for me. He puts DS to bed every night because I’m usually in bed by 7!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Okay, but real life: I give him unlimited screen time right now and I read a lot of books. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was so thankful that the first few weeks DH took SS6 to his parents on Tuedays (the day I work a 2nd job) so I could nap between work. 

I do feel bad because I've totally slacked on reading with him since I got pregnant. I really need to get back on track with that.