October 2018 Moms

March AMA moms!

How far along are you?

What appointments/testing/procedures are you anticipating this month?

How are you feeling?

Any questions or concerns?

GTKY - Since we all can remember the 80's, what is a trend from the 80's you'd love to bring back (or are glad to see is back!)

Re: March AMA moms!

• How far along are you?  7 weeks 2 days

What appointments/testing/procedures are you anticipating this month? We have our first meeting with the OB on March 21st.  I will be about 10 weeks at that point, so i'm wondering if we will go over any first trimester screening at that time.  All my blood work came back clear, which is awesome because i swore my thyroid was acting up.  Turns out it's just pregnancy.

How are you feeling? Pretty terrible.  I have almost all day MS, but i never get sick, i just dry heave a lot.  This pregnancy is feeling much harder than my last...

Any questions or concerns?  For the non-invasive testing, do they take a blood sample?  swab? what should i expect?

GTKY - Since we all can remember the 80's, what is a trend from the 80's you'd love to bring back (or are glad to see is back!)  Slap bracelets. Those sparkly instruments of pain were the best.
  • How far along are you?
    5+6

I'll have weekly ultrasounds for most of this month, in addition to my intake with my OB in three weeks. Next ultrasound on Monday.

How are you feeling?
    I've had some food aversion issues, but I'm better today. Otherwise just very emotional and anxious. Nausea usually kicks in for me around 6-7 weeks, so we'll see how the next few days go.

Heartbeat count on Monday is a big freaking deal. This week there were two sacs with fetal structures, and I feel like Monday we're finding out if it's twins or not.

GTKY:
    This may just be because I'm old and crotchety, but pop music these days seems AWFUL. I hear it in waiting rooms and can't believe people are getting rich off that garbage. The best part of the 80s, to me, was its awesome pop, and I miss being able to turn on the radio and hear fun music.
    ***TW***
    DD born April 2015 after many rounds of IVF and losses.

After much more of the same...

• Loading the player...
  • muchwantedmuchwanted member
    edited March 2018
    Any questions or concerns?  For the non-invasive testing, do they take a blood sample?  swab? what should i expect?
    Do you mean for the NIPT? (Panorama, Harmony, etc) That's a blood draw. :)
    ***TW***
    DD born April 2015 after many rounds of IVF and losses.

After much more of the same...

• How far along are you?
    9 weeks today (from LMP)

my first OB appointment and ultrasound (just the in-room one) on March 20

How are you feeling?

sick, exhausted, really exhausted. ;)

not right now...just that normally I do not like to wish time away, but I am ready for that first appointment and to hopefully start feeling better, so March can hurry by!

• GTKY - Since we all can remember the 80's, what is a trend from the 80's you'd love to bring back (or are glad to see is back!)
  • @norahkate- I had totally forgotten about those, and they should totally make a comeback. 
  • edited March 2018
    How far along are you? 9w2d

I don’t currently have a PCP, so meeting with one next week. Then on March 13, I have a meeting with a genetics counselor.  March 23 is my next meeting with the OB, where I’ll get to hear the heartbeat.  

How are you feeling?

Mostly this week I have been struggling with exhaustion and feelings of inadequacy.  I also had a lot of nausea, which I’m sure was exacerbated by the exhaustion and stress.  I am also enjoying lovely sharp pain in my pelvis when I stand up or stretch. (Yes, I’m weird.)

Not at this minute.  I’m itching to tell all the people, but waiting until after the genetics consult and my appointment on the 23.

GTKY - Since we all can remember the 80's, what is a trend from the 80's you'd love to bring back (or are glad to see is back!)

I was a big Strawberry Shortcake fan back in the day.  I accidentally painted my guest bedroom Strawberry Shortcake pink, and my parents found me a doll in good condition at a flea market, so I actually have a Strawberry Shortcake Room.  (And yes, it was an accident- the color was supposed to be more red- I don’t actually like pink.)

• norahkate said:
    Hahahaha oh man, I totally forgot about these! 
  • @muchwanted - yes!  That is what i meant to say if my brain weren't struggling so much with words! lol.  Thanks!
  • KFrobKFrob member
    What appointments/testing/procedures are you anticipating this month?  Have my prenatal exam with all the fun yearly check up stuff on the 13th.  Then we have our NIPT appointment and u/s on the 23rd.  

How are you feeling?  Ups and downs but almost always exhausted  

Any questions or concerns?  Nope

GTKY - Since we all can remember the 80's, what is a trend from the 80's you'd love to bring back (or are glad to see is back!)  I love the highwaisted skinny jeans that came back.  
  • Is anyone not doing any testing? Our clinic recently changed their procedures for AMA patients and other than me initialing that I was educated on the testing options, there is no difference due to age. Also, they switched to Harmony and require pre-authorization. but the old standard (cheaper) test is no longer offered there so would have to be set up through a different organization if we wanted that one. We are lucky in that our insurance would cover either, but it seems like a fairly non-patient focused move? I don't know.

But all that to say that we are leaning toward choosing none of the above. I know this is a personal decision, but if you are comfortable sharing, what are your thoughts? Always good to hear what other people come up with.

• @norahkate - i am waiting to talk to my OB before i make a decision,  but i am considering skipping it. I personally don't feel that much has changed since i had my son, and they did zero screening/testing with him.  
  • I’m definitely doing testing.  If I was just concerned about inheritable conditions (such as sickle cell anemia), I would skip it.  However, conditions such as Down’s Syndrome are related to the health of the egg, which deteriorates as we age.  

If your insurance covers it, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t do it- especially the non-invasive screenings. (Obviously, amniocentesis has greater risk to the baby.)
  • KFrobKFrob member
    We opted to not do it last time, but since I'm AMA this time and my doctor offered it we decided to go ahead and schedule it.  I hate to admit this but we didn't even do the NT scan last time mainly bc of the cost.  This time I have different insurance and figure were going to hit our deductible either way, the testing will just get us there faster and then we will have a bit of peace of mind or more time for preparation if there is something amiss.  
  • How far along are you? 6 weeks 

What appointments/testing/procedures are you anticipating this month? Ob + ultrasound on the 15th

How are you feeling? Food is gross, so tired 

Any questions or concerns? TW. Hoping my appointment goes well. I had a missed m/c and d&c in October 

GTKY - Since we all can remember the 80's, what is a trend from the 80's you'd love to bring back (or are glad to see is back!) I’m more excited for some of the returning 90s trends, to be honest 
  • How far along are you? 9 something

What appointments/testing/procedures are you anticipating this month? 10w blood draw this week for NIPT then in 2 weeks the Nuchal scan

How are you feeling? Tired, def crampy at times. 

Any questions or concerns? Just hoping everything is ok. 

OMG that charm necklace! I love it. Remember hyper color shirts?!

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Update: Now I'm 8w5d. I had my first exam last week and ultrasound. Everything was great. I did find it strange that I go back in 4 weeks for another ultrasound with MFM.  It seems to be part of the appt with genetic counseling.  I'll be doing NIPT in 3 weeks (11+2).  I'm used to ultrasound @ 8 weeks, anatomy scan, and then maybe just maybe close to delivery.  Do AMA moms get a lot more ultrasounds or is it just this one extra?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • KFrobKFrob member
    Usually they do the NT scan at around 12 weeks.  We had our NT scan with the appointment for the NIPT blood draw.
  • I didn’t have the NT scan because the NIPT results came back good.  

I did have an ultrasound at my 12w appointment because the doctor couldn’t find the heartbeat with the doppler- which wasn’t concerning- sometimes that is too early. 
  • @tropical1982
    I feel like I had more when I wasn't AMA! This time, I had my first one at 9w and then the NT scan at 12w and then I won't have another one till 20w. Then maybe closer to the end? I dont remember! 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am getting more ultrasounds in the back half, but i think its because i previously had breech baby and am trying for a VBAC, so i don't think it has anything to do with age.  They did mention additional NSTs because of age, but thats so far out. 
  • Maybe the 12 week is the NT scan.  I didn't put those two together.  Previous pregnancies I've opted out of it.

@Laumb11 - that's all I had with my previous pregnancies.  Iniital then not again until 20w.  I paid for elective ultrasounds just so I could see the peanut and find out gender before the anatomy scan.

Also, anyone getting a glucose test in the first tri?  I haven't been told but I saw someone else was getting one early on because of AMA then again around 28 weeks! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I did a glucose test last Friday (12w2d), but that was related to my history of PCOS, not my age.  
  • I have the same as my last pregnancy...US at my 12ish week appt (with the little bedside US machine) and then the anatomy scan. Apparently nothing extra for my AMA (which is referred to as elderly something something on one of the forms and totally cracks me up) unless they have any concerns.

and @tropical1982 they have not mentioned an extra glucose test, but pretty sure I could not stomach that at this point anyway so they would be out of luck. ;)

we did just get our Harmony results back yesterday and all looks good!

• I appreciate that when I told my OB I was AMA she was like "barely!" and made me feel like it's all fine. She did say I'll get a few more U/S this time. Last time we had 2, I think I will have 3 or 4 this time. Even though I did genetic screening this week she is still having me to the 12 week u/s, which I'm fine with.