October 2018 Moms

Questions 3/23

Re: Questions 3/23

• @coffee-saur I just bought a pair of full length compression leggings which my OB recommended for the flight I’m taking next week. REI has a great selection. My OB said to get thigh highs or full tights because the knee highs sometimes lead to pooling issues behind the knee. This might have just been for flying though.

@nayyohme chiming in late to say that’s ridiculous of your SIL. The bottom line is you should pick whatever colors you want. They really are all gender neutral. Here is an interesting article about the origin of the gendering of pink and blue. Originally pink was considered the masculine color because it was a “more decided and strong color.” https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/when-did-girls-start-wearing-pink-1370097/

Bottom line in my opinion- pick colors you like!
  • Is the STM+ check in once a month or did we just forget to make it the last couple weeks?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I need to start searching for some compression socks/leggings for my trip on April 13th... maybe I'll take a trip to REI.
  • edited March 2018
    Are compression socks/leggings really worth it? I flew a bunch of times during my pregnancy with DS and I never even thought about getting them. 

Edited to add, I’m flying next week so that’s why I'm curious :wink:
  • Are compression socks/leggings really worth it? I flew a bunch of times during my pregnancy with DS and I never even thought about getting them. 

I flew at 7wks, and my normally very shapely ankles were cankles by the end of the trip without wearing compression socks.  I have two trips coming up in May, I’m planning to wear some for those flights. 
  • Are compression socks/leggings really worth it? I flew a bunch of times during my pregnancy with DS and I never even thought about getting them. 

By month 6, I was swelling so badly I practically LIVED in them... but that was month 6. If you’re flying next week, it might be a good idea to have them just in case, but you might not need them. 
  • Did I miss a convo about what to look for with compression items? We have a lot of flying planned this pregnancy and I'd like to avoid the swelling I've encounter the last two times. What rating am I looking for?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited March 2018
    @mariek312 we had a bit of a conversation about them at the top of 3/2 questions (all on the first page.) Hopefully this link works - apologies if it doesn't.
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/90509159#Comment_90509159

I've worn them for a few years after a blood clot, and @jengibre_zorro, @mesamyt, and @Lisa3379 also had some experience with them.

The basic thing to know is that they come in different weights and heights. If it's not under doctor's orders, you can likely just get some running compression socks or some off of amazon in the 15-30 mmhg (basically the strength of compression) range. 30+ usually requires a prescription.
    I wear a pair of running ones that come up over my calf, and much prefer it that height as it really helps keep the blood flow moving all the way back up my leg and keeps my calves from swelling when sitting too long.
  • @chopchop25 it worked, thanks!
  • I did the one hour glucose test today and failed. I think it's because they said I didn't need to fast so I had coffee and a bagel in the morning. I known have asked before, but anyone taken their one hour yet? Did you fast? If my doc says anything I am going to ask to do another 1 hour and fast next time.
  • @momtobx2. I believe you are supposed to fast for the glucose test. I would let your doctor or midwife know ASAP so they can hopefully let you repeat the 1 hour and not go straight to the 3 hour.
  • @momtobx2. I believe you are supposed to fast for the glucose test. I would let your doctor or midwife know ASAP so they can hopefully let you repeat the 1 hour and not go straight to the 3 hour.
    That's what I thought too! But at my very appointment the lab tech said I didn't have to but I skipped it at that point and I googled it this morning to make sure.
  • momtobx2 said:
    @momtobx2. I believe you are supposed to fast for the glucose test. I would let your doctor or midwife know ASAP so they can hopefully let you repeat the 1 hour and not go straight to the 3 hour.
    That's what I thought too! But at my very appointment the lab tech said I didn't have to but I skipped it at that point and I googled it this morning to make sure.
    My dr let's me have a piece of toast in the am of the test. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • I did the 1hr last week, and the doctor just asked what I had last eaten and when (Saltines about 2hrs prior.).  She wasn’t too worried about that and had me go ahead and take the test. Unfortunately, she wasn’t happy with the result (dude- my number was within the lab’s published range!) and so I have to go back and take the 3hr test.  This has totally screwed with my plans for next Saturday. :(
  • I did the 1hr last week, and the doctor just asked what I had last eaten and when (Saltines about 2hrs prior.).  She wasn’t too worried about that and had me go ahead and take the test. Unfortunately, she wasn’t happy with the result (dude- my number was within the lab’s published range!) and so I have to go back and take the 3hr test.  This has totally screwed with my plans for next Saturday. :(
    That's what I am afraid of. Mine was outside the range. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because I had to do the 3 hour for my first pregnancy. 
  • I was told to fast for mine. I did it last Tuesday. I was at 132 and they wanted me under 140, so I passed for now.
  • @purplegoldfish2 I think we should do it weekly or at least by weekly. Then we STMs have a place to talk about all the mama drama.
  • You are not supposed to fast for the 1 hour test as fasting can mess up the numbers. My last pregnancy they told me that they wanted me to eat a light breakfast, but to stay away from anything sugary. They suggested eggs and toast. 

@cdepperschmidt I can go start one now, although no promises that I’ll keep it up or that it will be on a consistent day!
  • @purplegoldfish2 the paperwork my Dr gives everyone tells you to fast. When he mentioned wanting me to take it, he asked what I'd eaten that day. When I told him a handful of saltines he told me I couldn't take it that day.
  • Dr recommendations vary about fasting or not. Just follow whatever they say. If you don’t need to fast, I’d still stay away from anything that would spike your sugar though. 
  • Has anyone found any good deals for baby-related items on Amazon? I'm often scrolling and adding things to my list, but there's so much stuff! 
  • Pregnancy pillows aside, has anyone tried memory foam mattress toppers to help make your bed more comfortable?

The last few nights, it has been really hard sleeping in any position, and my shoulders are especially annoyed about side sleeping. So I’m wondering if a mattress topper might be worth it. 
  • @knottieamusements I can’t imagine a bed without a mattress topper!
  • @knottieamusements I have a foam top for my matress it's about 4 inches but honestly I hate it.. it holds heat and obviously you can't wash it so it holds in odors too.. idk about memory foam I'd give that a shot but regular foam I wouldn't bother. It feels like I have no support where I need it..
  • memory foam is warm... heck hot. pre pregnancy i wanted to hurt people when I had to lay on a bed with memory foam if the house wasn't 30 degrees.
  • Question for STM- when do your nips start leaking? I ask because I have some nice bras that I would prefer to not leak all over, and I am wondering if I should buy some bras for later in pregnancy so they can leak on those or if it really is after pregnancy. 
  • @kiwi2628 literally everyone is different. I didn't leak until i was straight up nursing and even then rarely. But some women start at some point in their 2nd & 3rd trimester. You can always buy some nursing pads to tuck in if youre worried
  • @kiwi2628 same as @theglitteredpterodactyl. I rarely needed them. 
  • @kiwi2628 I never had a leaking problem. Not to say I didn’t have a small leak at some point, but it was never noticeable and I never wore breast pads. That being said, I’ve heard every time is different.
  • KFrobKFrob member
    I'm with everyone else on the leaking, it was minimal and not until my milk came in
  • @kiwi2628 I think I remember that it was later on in the pregnancy, like in the 3rd trimester. But it varied with each one. As the others have said, it can be vastly different for everyone. 
    After my oldest was born, I got really engorged and would leak a lot. I had to use breast pads all the time! 
    Interesting thinking about it now, but the first time, I had a huge milk supply, and nursing did NOT work. But with the other two, supply wasn't an issue, but nursing was a piece of cake. 
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • Mine never leaked and then I had a retained placenta after birth and my milk never came in. What I learned was that buying all the breastfeeding stuff was a total waste and I wish I had waited and saved my money and registry items for other things!
  • @kiwi2628 I started leaking pretty early. I want to say it was around 24 or 25 weeks? It was only like a couple drops a day though. Definitely not enough to leak through my bra though.
  • I didn’t start leaking until after my milk came in, and then I would be waking up in a big puddle in the morning. So fun.
    If you’re worried, buy some nursing pads and keep them in your purse if you notice you start to leak.
  • I never leaked, except in the shower after my boys were born, but never in clothes or anything.  I barely used any nursing pads.  My chiropractor asked me to wear them while he adjusted me because he was afraid the adjustments would make me leak when he pushed on my back and my chest was pushed into the table, so I did to make him comfortable, but never really needed them.
  • With my first I started leaking around 20 weeks, but never enough to wear pads until after delivery. 
  • I started leaking from one side around 30 weeks, but never enough to ruin a bra. Also, even after the milk comes in, some women don't have a problem with leaking or needing to wear pads. 
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • Maternity pillow: yes or no?  I never used one with my other pregnancies, but man I’m tempted.  I usually use a body pillow and just stuff a pillow on my back.  Are they super hot?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Maternity pillow: yes or no?  I never used one with my other pregnancies, but man I’m tempted.  I usually use a body pillow and just stuff a pillow on my back.  Are they super hot?
    I wasn’t that hot with mine. I thought it was pretty nice to have, but you might be set with a body pillow anyway - I had never used a body pillow, so the maternity pillow was way different for me. 
  • @mama2bofthree

I think we were talking about this on another thread, but here are my updated thoughts...

I bought one of these:

https://www.pregnancypillow.com/

I found it too hard to roll over when I wanted to, and too hot.  But I was also using it before I was getting uncomfortable in bed.  

I’m still not using it. (13w1d)

The last week, I discovered that my arms were falling asleep no matter what position I was sleeping in, and my shoulders were getting really angry at me.  I tried the pillow again, and still didn’t like it. 

Instead, the last few nights, I’ve been using a body pillow, and a couple of standard size pillows to make myself a nest.  I’ve been far more comfortable, and I’m not wrestling with the pillows to get in and out of bed. 

I’m going to probably try the pregnancy pillow again as things progress, but mostly I imagine that I will spend the next six months cannibalizing pillows from other places in my house to further outfit my nest.