Baby Names

Initials

I am having some trouble deciding how much a kids initials truly matter/if I care about the initials, and I just need someone outside my H and I to give some POVs. 

We will be having a son (so at least no monogrammed stuff). The middle name we really want to use begins with an A and our last name begins with a G. Here is the issue: the names we really like right now are Henry, Nathaniel, Bennett and Wesley....aka the initials would be HAG, NAG, BAG or WAG. Now none of those are TIT or ASS or something truly terrible, but still. How much do you guys think that matters? Do we have to give up the middle name we wanted to use in order to use the first name(s) we want? Is it terrible to saddle a child as a 'HAG'?

Re: Initials

• I personally would probably avoid HAG and NAG. But I'm not sure if it's something I'd pick up on unless I was looking, ya know?
  • I personally would probably avoid HAG and NAG. But I'm not sure if it's something I'd pick up on unless I was looking, ya know?
    Ditto. BAG and WAG are harmless words. If you love Henry the most and you are sold on the middle, like if it’s a family name you want to use, I don’t think HAG should be a deal breaker on a boy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don’t think any of them are that bad. Also rarely is the middle name shown. When I sign my initials I just use first and last name letters. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would avoid wag and hag. I normally would say initials don’t matter, but I worked at a place where we went by our 3 initials for all mail distributions, so everyone’s 3 initials were seen and used constantly. I know that’s a rare situation, but because of that, I think about it now. 
  • None of those would deter me. My oldest has TAG and it really doesn’t even come up. It has come up maybe two times in his 8 years. Most times his initial are needed it’s just TG and even if it did come up your initials spelling something that’s isn’t like KKK is cool if anything. 

• Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited March 2018
    I personally wouldnt worry, but I did think about it with my daughter Victoria. Our last name starts with "G" so I knew I didn't want VAG at all...
  • I think initials should only be considered/avoided when it’s a negative word (i.e. HAG, ASS, etc). If it’s a neutral word, like WAG, I wouldn’t think twice about using it. I have some friends whose nicknames are based off of their initials, and I certainly don’t see it as a negative thing!
  • Personally I wouldn’t worry. Kids will always find ways to tease and come up with stupid nicknames regardless... but if you love the name, go for it. 
  • Thanks everyone!
  • I would not use an A name in the middle spot. 
  • I would stay away from names that start with F for sure, maybe H.  Otherwise, I don't think it's too much of a big deal if the initials spell a word.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade