October 2018 Moms

GTKY - Family Vacations

chyviechyvie member
edited March 2018 in October 2018 Moms
What was your fondest family vacation memory when you were young? How old were you? Where did you go?

Me 33 DH 41
TTC since 2016
Due: October 12, 2018

Re: GTKY - Family Vacations

• Mine would be driving down to FL with my dad. The rest of my family flew. I was 11 and enjoyed helping my dad navigate. We stopped along the way to see Washington DC. Then we went to Disney and had a blast! 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016

• I had tons of great vacations when I was growing up, but when I consider my family vacations, I consider vacations my husband and I have taken. I would say my two favorite would be when we did a 3 week eurotrip- we did Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Munich and Florence- that trip was a BLAST. Also our (first of three) babymoon to Portugal was lovely. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have to agree with @kiwi2628, my fondest vacation memories are with with my husband and would also include our 2.5 week Eurotrip. We went to Trieste, Venice, Milan and Rome in Italy and also to Paris. 
  • @kiwi2628 DH and I have traveled a lot and want to continue with our kids. That is why I am curious to know what kids really remember and what trips are worth it kind of thing. When I was younger we did a lot of camping trips that I enjoyed, but not a lot of far trips.  
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016

• @chyvie ah, got it. I would mention that in the original so you dont get a bunch of responses like mine!

As for when I was a kid we traveled a lot, but my favorites would be when we did the Southwest (Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Vegas)- it was age 14 and we stayed at this wonderful spa for a few days and then took a road trip to Vegas which is fun as a kid. Also Boston- I think I was 10? Ish? We went to revolutionary sights and went whale watching and went up to salem to see the witch trial stuff.
  • slizteesliztee member
    edited March 2018
    @chyvie As far as vacations we took when I was a kiddo...

I grew up in GA, so we often took trips to FL where my grandparents lived. I really loved going anywhere with a beach or a pool, so I really liked it when we rented a place in Myrtle Beach too. Renting a beach home with other families we were close with was a total bonus.

Camping wasn't really my thing...and still isn't. The idea of walking into the woods to relieve myself has never been appealing.

• I’m 38 and still regularly travel with my parents; I feel so lucky to still get to do this.  

From childhood, my favorite trip was probably our road trip to Louisiana - I still pull out stories about being on an oil covered beach, eating fresh caught squid, and watching my Dad make a Herculean effort to get through an enormous platter of clams.  
  • edited March 2018
    I remember things that were out of the ordinary - one vacation we got to be in “jail”, in a stockade and feed some deer.  I remember the hotel from that one too, and I was about 4, so I’m thinking it may have been my first hotel stay, but I have no idea where we were.  Disney when I was 5 there was Mickey’s birthday party, the Country Bear Jamboree and Mickey’s village (not sure if any of that is still there, but I know for sure the village is gone).  Hershey Park around 7 I remember being “baked” in the oven on one of the rides.  After that we started camping instead of going places until I was in high school when we went back to Disney with my little brother and sister.

Edit to add - I feel like taking pictures and printing them helped me to remember going.  I remember looking at the pictures not to long after taking the trips and periodically throughout my childhood.

Also, my sister is only a year younger than me and was on those trips with us, but doesn’t remember the first one or the Disney trip (not sure about Hershey), so some of it will depend on the kid & age too (although I am surprised she doesn’t remember anything from Disney).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • When I was in 5th grade my dad took me to Rome, London and Paris! It was only in a week so we filled every day with so much stuff! But it was such a great experience and we bonded so much! Great memories! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Every year in the summer, we would go ‘up north’ - I’m from Michigan and that’s a thing here. With two other families who had kids close in age to my brother and I. These are some of my favorite childhood memories. Our parents took turns cooking meals and we were outside all day playing games, swimming, etc. I already can’t wait to keep up this tradition when we meet our little one! 
  • When I was younger we would take family camping trips to Pittsburg NH. It wasn't just immediate family though we would go with cousins, aunts, uncles, and have sometimes up to almost 20 of us! Those were some of the most fun times I'd have, looking through rocks, hiking, biking, kayaking, fly fishing, etc. I wish we still all did these trips but everyone grew up and moved pretty far away.. I still love camping, DH isn't the biggest fan but we're still working on that
  • We did some fun stuff but my favorite was always going to the White Mountains in NH with the 5 of us.  We would stay at a lodge that had an arcade, and my dad would beat the Fun House pinball machine and we would watch and get so into it.

Such a small thing but now any time one of us is in a place with that machine, we send each other a picture of it.  My parents were (still are) the best. 

image        image

• nasalot188nasalot188 member
    edited March 2018
    I come from a family of 4 kids so parents didn't have a ton of money to spend on vacations. However, I have so many great memories of all the simple vacations we took like camping every Labour day wknd before school started, and cottage trips in the summer time. It was honestly so much fun and so good as young kids to hang out with family and enjoy the simple things like swimming, campfires, marshmallows etc.
  • We did lots of road trips because that was all we could afford. Seriously we loved being on the road and love the trip in the car more than the destination some times! It was a chance to be in our own little bubble and do what we wanted. It was also together so we have fun moments with that and my mom would always pack food for the trip as stopping was too expensive. So it was like a rolling picnic. We loved it and I find I get excited when DH and I need to go somewhere and I will start packing food for the journey and he is all like, we can just stop for food on the way lol he gets it more now :) 
  • My favorite childhood vacation was a trip to Vegas during some bad wildfires in southern ca. Being homeschooled, my family was able to take a trip up in our old RV. Spent our time at an RV park/at the pool there, and at Circus Circus. 
  • As a kid my favorite vacation was probably when I was 8 or 9 we went to Chincoteague, VA for Pony Penning week. I just remember having a blast.
  • As a kid my favorite vacation was probably when I was 8 or 9 we went to Chincoteague, VA for Pony Penning week. I just remember having a blast.
    Omg life goals! I have wanted to do that ever since reading Misty of Chincoteague!
  • My only childhood vacation was when I was 13/14. My parents took me to Las Vegas and I had to sit and watch movies in the hotel while my parents gambled/ went to shows. That was fun. 

My favorite family vacation has been, of course, taking my kids to Disneyland and the beach. Oh, and taking a cruise. So wonderful!
  • We went on a few vacations when I was younger, but I think my favorite one was when I was in high school. My dad and I drove to Washington D.C. for the weekend and seen a lot of the museums and the Vietnam Wall (he was in the war). It was a blast because it was just the two of us and I’m such a daddy’s girl to begin with so getting to spend time with him was great.
  • My favorite vacation as a kid... hmm that's really hard! My family never really on vacation when I was little! My grandparents did take me and two of my cousins on an Outer Banks trip when I was in 6th grade. That was a lot of fun!

My husband and I have been together since we were 16, so I like to think of family vacations as ones I've been on with him. My favorite so far was doing a West Coast road trip. We flew into San Diego and spent 18 days driving up the Pacific Coast Highway and flew out of Seattle. It was amazing.
  • My favorite was when I was 10 years old. My sister had just graduated high school so my mom went with her on her senior trip as a chaperone, so my dad took me on vacation for a week. We did Six Flags in Atlanta and then camping the rest of the week, and we had the best time!