June 2018 Moms

Questions Questions Questions (Week of 3.19)

Re: Questions Questions Questions (Week of 3.19)

• Selfishly starting threads this morning...

I bought the Belly Bandit at BBB this weekend thinking it would help with the pressure I've been feeling every time I stand up. I put it on this morning, but by the time I got to the office, my back was so, so sore. Like end of day sore. Does anyone else have this? Am I just doing it wrong? Does anyone have a belly support they actually like?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522
    I've had great luck with this one @amys614 recommended: Maternity Belt Plus Baby Bib by HealthySam - Breathable Belly Band For Pregnancy - Lower Back and Pelvic Support - Comfortable Pregnancy Belt for Belly - One Size - Beige https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1X5A54/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5.7RAbS8BZVZS
    I did notice my back above where I wear the band feels fatigued faster- I’m assumimg because it changes my posture (for the better).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @LaceyBee522 I have one I bought off Amazon and it looks similar enough to yours. I wear mine for the vaginal/pelvic pain. I don't notice any extra back issues with it, but I've been wearing it for 13 weeks now so I wouldn't know the difference of what actually causes my back pain. Maybe try adjusting the angle of which you wear it? Straight around vs higher in front and lower in back vs lower in front and higher in back. I wear mine pretty much straight around. I also don't have a walking commute, so there's that too. Maybe you can try and put it on after you get to the office and see if there's a difference while your body adjusts to the weight shift with it on.

So how does this FTM finding a pediatrician thing go. I call ones I may be interested in, say that I'm 28 weeks pregnant, and can I come in for an appt? An interview? To meet the doctor?  Do you pay a copay when you go? Gosh I feel silly. 
  • ^ and like @amys614 said about wearing it differently- I wear mine at different levels throughout the day, sometimes straight around my hips, sometimes up higher to cradle my belly a little more, sometimes higher in the back- all depending what’s hurting. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @amys614 With my ped office, I did have a pre-natal appointment, where we basically had a mini-q&a. They took a family history, as to already have it on file. I asked some questions I'd had about the immunization schedule and frequency of appointments. They had/have a rotation at the hospital at which I deliver, so it was nice to know that I wouldn't have to worry about them being there (My OB office notified them of the deliveries.)
    I don't recall being charged anything for the visit.
  • @LaceyBee522 I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0113WE0QS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

It doesn't hurt my back, but I find that sometimes it gets too tight by the end of the day and I feel like my belly is being strangled.  

@amys614 I called two different pedi offices and said that I was pregnant and wanted to see if they were accepting new patients. They both offered to set up mini-appointments with available pediatricians.  The visits were free.
  • krash_krash_ member
    edited March 2018
    On the topic of pediatricians; I just looked at the clinics with the group that we are delivering with. I figure it would be easier because they would have access to all the records from the hospital. But the locations aren't great. They have two that are close to my or MH's work but none that close to home/daycare. I don't think it will be an issue for when I am on leave because its just 15 mins but when we are both back at work and we have to do an appointment we would have to leave work drive 15 mins towards home to pick up LO then drive 15 mins back towards work. It would just be a lot of back and forth. 

Would it be easier to just find one with a different group near home/daycare and transfer the records? How many appointments are there? 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• edited March 2018
    @krashke At my pedi's office, there are seven appointments within the first year, after the initial hospital discharge. I can get there in 10 minutes from home and daycare. That's just check-ups. I practically lived at my pedi's office the first year, between check-ups and ear infections.
    My brother and SIL, however, kept their pediatrician after they moved back home (75 miles away.) I guess it just depends on what you prefer. 
  • I didn't know pedi offices did mini interviews.. I like that idea even though I wouldn't know what to ask for.  When is a good time to start calling?  I have a pedi office in mind but I thought it would be too soon to call.
  • I just checked my pedi's website and now they do a monthly open house for expectant parents, where you can meet the doctors and take a mini-tour.  
    @becca_123 I would say to call somewhere in the next few weeks, just so you can get it out of the way without feeling as pressured. They should let you know if for some reason they want you to wait a little closer to your due date.
  • We have an HMO, so no interviews for pediatric care. The easiest method for me this time around was to select a family practice doctor for myself and then mention that you’ll also be seeing the baby post-birth.
  • @krashke I'd go for convenience.  We were at the doctor a lot in the first two months due to weight gain issues. You don't want to have to deal with a terrible location while sleep deprived.  Plus, sick visits are easier when you are close to the doctor.  I'd honestly do a practice near home versus work.
  • doxiemoxie212doxiemoxie212 member
    edited March 2018
    @bearmoons for me it feels like I pulled my hip flexors but also bruised my pubic bone but also have pain that’s difficult to locate on my butt cheek/hip? It hurts A LOT to put pants on or shoes/socks while standing (ie I can’t stand on one foot anymore), and rolling over in bed specifically hurts my pubic bone region. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 awesome. this sounds exactly like what I'm feeling, just much milder. Hopefully it stays that way. 
  • @bearmoons welcome to the spd club! It sucks. We are unhappy to have you. ;)
  • @doxiemoxie212 ha! maybe MH can log roll me in bed so I don't have to roll over myself. I already make him put on my socks. 
  • Those of you doing newborn photos what are you spending? 

In nyc, from the research I’ve done, seems like $2500 minimum and I need to book ASAP. Thoughts? Worth it for that price?
  • With my first, I wasn't allowed to do a meet and greet or pick the ped I wanted. They randomly assigned us one, and she was awful  (overdosed my daughter on zantac, which thankfully didn't cause any problems).
    Thankfully I was able to switch, and that Dr ended up either leaving or getting let go.

This time, my kids already have a Dr I love, but he's leaving in June  :'(  so I'll have to find another one.
  • krash_krash_ member
    edited March 2018
    @doxiemoxie212 is it just the newborn photos, nothing else included? I mean it seems expensive but I have no frame of reference. 

Our first year package is $700 but our photographer is a friend so he gave us $150 off and he's from Appleton, WI so not a hot market for photographers. He is even going to drive the 4 1/2 hours to our house to do newborn photos at home. 

ETA @aharv77 if you need a photographer I can get you the hook up! 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke it's the newborn session and 45 digital photos, average. Most I've found come to you and bring some props or whatever. I certainly think it would cost less outside of NYC, and I really want to get them done, but it's a fair amount of money for DH to put up a stink about, so I'm trying to really weigh it. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 We paid less for our wedding photographer and she was one of the more quality photographers in the area :worried: Again, not helpful being in Wisconsin but most of the packages I've looked at for just newborn photos are in the $200-$400 range. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • doxiemoxie212doxiemoxie212 member
    edited March 2018
    @aharv77 I got married in the bay area, and I spent about $3k for wedding photos with a more inexperienced photographer (who was excellent, though), which included an engagement session and our wedding photos (no prints) (ETA: 5 years ago). I know a lot of my friends have spent $10k on wedding photos in the bay area, NYC and DC, so I felt like I got a steal. 
  • LaceyBee522LaceyBee522 member
    edited March 2018
    @doxiemoxie212 I've been able to find some in the city for less. Here are a few I like:

https://adamwcohenvisuals.com/investment-newborns/

https://farylloewphotography.com/

If you haven't already, consider joining some of the mom groups on Facebook. You don't have to friend anyone to do it and there's good resources on there. I'm a member of the group for my neighborhood, but also joined the UES versions because that's where all the action is. 

ETA: I'm not sure if you can see this if you aren't a member, but here's a whole thread on recs for newborn photogs in NYC: 
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1474122222800550/permalink/2014111622134938/
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Anyone else just stalking the photographers that @LaceyBee522 linked because baby photos are mesmerizing? 
    *TW LC*

• @LaceyBee522 oh amazing, thank you! I have tried to join some FB groups, but I find the formatting so weird and overwhelming (FFMC?) for some reason. I think because I'm just so used to TB, I hardly know where to look. 
  • Our newborn photography is about $450. Seems to be the general price around this area. I don't think i could get myself to pays thousands.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • We are paying $150 for maternity pics, $400 for birth photography and $300 for a newborn session. 
  • I was going to ask about SPD pain so thank you @bearmoons! I feel like the area right against my pubic bone is bruised and I feel the most pain after I have sat for a little while. 

@doxiemoxie212 $2500 for newborn photos seems outrageous to me but I live pretty far from the city so I know prices here are much different. That price is about what someone would spend on a wedding 
  • Has anyone tried this or something similar?

Idson Muscle Roller Stick for Athletes-18 Inches Body Massage Sticks Tools-Muscle Roller Massager for Relief Muscle Soreness,Cramping and Tightness,Help Legs and Back Recovery,Black Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015RKCWR6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5IfSAbC35VC4H

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Re baby photos: be careful my friend went with a top (and very expensive) newborn studio here in Houston. Then when she got to the shoot with their packaged that included seveal outfits and props a videographer came in and asked if she wanted filming of the session. They told her, if she liked it she could buy the video, it was completely no charge if she didn’t. Well she’d already spent $2k she loved the video but didn’t want to spend more. With the photos she signed whether or not the studio could use the pictures, but nothing was signed on the “free” video. Well the studio proceeded to use the video in promotional material including social media. When she told them to take it down that she didn’t consisent they told her bc it was free she didn’t get any rights to the video. Read deeper in the contract and it stated anything not covered by the package purchased could be used for promotional material. Them posting the video (that she didn’t pay for) for most ppl would be great bc now the parents/ grandparents/ etc would get to share it on social media. But in this case the dad is very much against the child being on social media (...4 months later and hes over it lol). But yeah, read and understand the contract. 

As an aside they took it all the way to the top of the company where they agreed to give them the video for free and use the video on only certain outlets. 
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @2589 I use something very similar to that. I use it primarily on my IT band, hamstrings, quads, and calves. Sometimes I can talk MH into doing my low back, but he isn’t as good at it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jsl82jsl82 member
    @doxiemoxie212 that seems absolutely insane to me.  When I was getting married our friends were also planning their wedding- they got married in north jersey and we got married outside Philly.  Our photographer cost more than theirs because there are sooo many photographers and photography students building their portfolios that they had more competition.  I would keep shopping around and look at photography schools, photography assistants, ect.  They are usually much more affordable and still produce amazing shots.

For DD we used the hospital photographer- Bella Baby (they are at many hospitals nationwide).  The session was 15 minutes but free, and we paid $250 for the digital download of the pictures.  

For her 1 year pictures we used my cousins wife's cousin and paid $250 for the 45 minute photo shoot (she came to us and brought a few props).  The pictures cost another $250 for the digital or we could have picked different package.  

@2589 I used something similar when I was in physical therapy years ago and when I would get shin splint.  I have a harder pool noodle looking version, it should work to get some relief... also very helpful for breastfeeding backaches later on.
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @jsl82 I think part of the problem is I have worked professionally with so many photographers for beauty/entertainment brands and things that I’ve just become extremely picky lol. Like tacky photos are the worst to me, and a lot of newborn photos look like bad stock imagery to me? I don’t know. But I know I’d rather spend more money for something I really love than less money for something I will hate. It’s not like I can’t take photos of the baby myself; I have a good camera and lighting equipment. But sometimes the super duper photogs just make everything look so darn precious... sigh. 
  • jsl82jsl82 member
    @doxiemoxie212 ahh if you have a picky eye, than it may be worth it to keep shopping around a bit more.  I know if I know there is a flaw with something it becomes the only thing I can see.  I wouldn't want my newborns baby pictures to be something i can only see the flaws.   If you can do them yourself that would work, unless you are hoping to be in some pics with your newborn.  Good luck.
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @doxiemoxie212 I haven't seen anything even remotely close to that price in SJ but I guess it's all relative to location.  Mine are $525 for a studio session and that was on the higher side of what I researched, and I live in an a pretty urban area.  I felt the same way about my wedding photos though - they were important to me since it was only a one shot deal and they would last forever.  I would say your photographer is way way wayyy overpriced but then I don't know the general price ranges in NYC which would obviously be higher.
  • @doxiemoxie212 My newborn shoot is going to cost $600 which seems to be fairly average here in CA.  I really, really love the pictures from DD's newborn shoot, but they do not bring me $2500 worth of joy! :) 
  • @bearmoons - @doxiemoxie212 described how I feel.  I also feel like my pubic bone is separating right below my vag - like being pushed apart. I also get sharp shooting pains if I move one leg instead of both at the same time (getting up, taking a step, etc.) if I've been on my feet.  That's the lovely lightening crotch.

@doxiemoxie212 holy crap NB photos are expensive in NY! I'm paying $450 for 5 reserved dates, 2 hours of photography at my house (for the whole family), 40 digital photos and a 20 photo book.  I balked at $450, so I don't think I would pay $2500.  I got NB photos done for DS and that's the only reason I'm doing them again.  Have you joined any local new mom's groups? There may be photographers on there who are getting started / lower rates / etc.

• To clarify - this includes the photos right? Because the newborn session itself is $350 but to get any photos (digital) I have to pay a bunch of fees. I’m assuming yes but just want to check... 
  • @doxiemoxie212 40 photos are included in my $450.  Most packages I saw ranged between 400-600, including photos or 200-300, without photos.