Infertility

Need Information: Cost of Injectibles

My wife and I have tried five unsuccessful iuis, 3 with clomid and 2 with femara, looking for some sort of average price for injectibles so we can try and plan. I need to know what kinds you used, how much and what they cost.

Re: Need Information: Cost of Injectibles

• tosh24tosh24 member
    edited March 2018
    Not sure where you're located (which may make a difference), but I did two IUIs with injectibles (Gonal  F) + Femara. One cycle was about $600 and the other was closer to $1000.

edit: typo and to add more info
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• For me, my first round (300 units of Gonal F, Ovidrel trigger and Novarel) was about $600. My second (75 units Gonal F and my leftover Novarel trigger from last IUI) was about $165. My third (75 units Gonal F and Pregnyl trigger) was $281.
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • Loading the player...
  • I paid about $300/day for 300 units Gonal-F + 75 units Luveris. Cetrotide was about $100/dose and HCG trigger was $150. For 1 round of IVF my total injectables cost was close to $3500.
  • My iui cost is a few thousand dollars with follistim and trigger and I forgot the other because it was 5 years ago but in Virginia because I didn’t have fertility coverage I was able to get a discount through freedom fertility for those out of pocket. So if I paid 2k that was a huge savings for iui. Now this time around I had coverage for my ivf for the first time and I know for my follistim, menopur and lupron and cetrodtide for one cycle my insurance was charge 8k. I used freedom fertility again.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited March 2018
    Hi @rmartin_ttc I'm so sorry for the follicle fiasco. This sh&! really is frustrating. I wonder, can you share what they did with the femara (what doses they tried), when they did u/s, etc.? Is your wife doing the hcg trigger shot?

I had an over response to clomid even on small doses, but got huge cysts every time. With femara, we started on 5mg and only one follicle matured last cycle; right on the cusp though. My RE increased the dose to 7.5mg and we got 3. Two were mature two days ago, another mature one showed up on u/s this morning right before iui. 

I agree with your quest to find a different clinic unless they can tell you that they've already increased doses and give you a scientific explanation as to why her follicles aren't maturing. 

Hugs. <3 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• We had mature follicles with our first five iuis, with at least one follicle being 15 on cycle day 11 and then one 18-20 on cycle day 14. The last cycle we actually had 2 follicles, but smaller at 16 and 17. However, her lining has never been great, they just never told us that until we went over everything last week. In order it was a 6, 6, 8, 7, 6.5, and now this past scan was a 4.5. On this last scan there was also only one follicle even close to mature and it was a 13. We asked him yesterday during the scan of her can give us anything to encourage follicle growth or even help her lining and he insists there is nothing wrong with either and that cycle day 11 is just too early to see how everything is going to pan out. He also said that for a lining anything above a 4 is fine, which from what everyone else says is not what their REs tell them. We have a consultation booked with another RE on April 23rd and we are hoping they will have more to offer and a game plan that will work. You also asked the clomid/femara doses it was, in order, clomid 50, clomid 100, clomid 150, clomid 150, femara 5, and now this time femara 5 again. We did have a cp on the third cycle (when her lining was the thickest) by the way. 
  • @suzycupcake

Oh and sorry I forgot, yes we used a trigger shot every time. We do a baseline scan on cycle day 3, a check on cycle day 11, another on cycle day 14 and usually trigger that day and iui 24 hours later on cycle day 15.

Also, I'm glad you got 3 follicles, woo hoo :) thanks for the support and the listening ear while I ranted, and hugs to you as well, and as always baby dust. 

• @rmartin_ttc Clomid is known to thin the lining so REs will often prescribe Estrace to be used vaginally during Clomid cycles to help thicken the lining. I'd find a new RE.
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• @rmartin_ttc You can also ask to do a combo cycle with femara and follistim. It's less expensive than only injectables alone. I believe follistim for that at 300iu was around $300, but will injectables of 600iu was somewhere around $600. When only on injectables, you'll be monitored a little more so don't overstimulate. Here's an online price list that gives you a little idea :) https://https//www.avella.com/specialties/fertility/fertility-medication-pricing Also, sign up with Design RX First Steps and Compassionate Care. You may qualify for more of a discount. If not, if you use MDR and show them that you don't, then they will give you at least another 5% off.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• @kristimh80 Thank you so much!!!! 
  • @rmartin_ttc Yea it really does sound like you guys are on the right track with wanting to find a new doctor. That's ridiculous to say that a 4mm lining is fine. What a joke! It sounds like he doesn't have very much experience. Either that or he is being ultra ultra conservative about it. Conservative is good, but not that conservative. It's almost as if he is doing everything he can to mimic a natural cycle only missing a lot of it. And besides, we all know we are doing treatment cycles. What's the point in being not even remotely aggressive about it?

Has he done a 7dpiui progesterone test even?

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile. I forgot we were talking in here too. 

People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

•  @suzycupcake Its okay, I forgot too. I don't really know why he's so weird about it. The good news is that the lining did improve to 7, but I wish I was more like 8 or above. His argument is that it could just be her natural lining thickness, but like obviously that isn't working for us and that's why we are on iui number 6 lol. We asked about the progesterone test and he said he won't do it because if he prescribed it that late it could mess up implantation. I have no idea honestly and can't wait to get a second opinion if this doesn't work. I think he's really old school, he's in his fifties. 
  • @rmartin_ttc He's ridiculous. Most women are instructed to start taking p at 3dpiui/o and continue into pregnancy for a little while until something else takes over, I forget what it's called lol

Natural lining, my a$$. Obs that's not true or she wouldn't have different numbers every time. I feel your struggle and I hope this next doc makes you guys feel all the warm and fuzzies because you deserve it!

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• libellula28libellula28 member
    edited March 2018
    Wait.  So what thickness should your lining be?  Mine, at my 3 day ultrasound, was 4.9 and he didn't mention that as an issue.  
  • @libellula28 Day 3 for it to be that is totally fine, that's when your lining is shedding bc it's during or right after your period so it's supposed to be low. Ideal lining for implantation, so later in your cycle, is above an 8
  • I came across this post as I was actually looking to find where I can get rid of some excess medication.  Does anyone know if there is a group out there where people can help eachother with things like that?
  • @HollySperanza they got rid of the group a couple years ago that took meds for donations. Nothing has been started since.

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP