October 2018 Moms

Randoms 3/15

Re: Randoms 3/15

• @lynzev I’m with you on the BMI scale. I definitely looked “pregnant” last time, starting around 14-ish weeks it was really obvious, but it was also twins. Before that I just looked fluffier than usual...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I Definitely feel like I just look fatter and fluffier than pregnant... I can see a difference from week 5 to week 9, but unless you know I just look fat. I also hold most of my weight in my stomach anyway thanks to my insulin resistance...
  • Loading the player...
  • The whole looking fat vs looking pregnant is why I’m not doing the whole weekly bump photo thing.  

A friend of mine is going to do a nice set of bump photos somewhere near the end of 2nd trimester instead.  
  • Since we are talking bumps and @knottieamusements mentioned pictures... are they worth doing? I think some nice professional pregnancy photos would be fun after the bloat is long gone lol This may be the only time I am pregnant and would be neat to look back on. when is the best time to do them? 2nd tri? 3rd? just before EDD? 
  • @SweetSweetTooth I’ve typically seen people recommmend end 2nd tri/beginning 3rd tri. Big enough there’s a noticeable bump but not yet hugely uncomfortable. I didn’t do them last time but I want to this time. More as family photos though with some cute big brother plus bump shots. I feel like I’ll get more use out of those than I would have pictures of just me. 
  • @SweetSweetTooth

I also looking at end of 2nd, beginning of 3rd.  I’d like to do them a little further into 3rd, because Missouri summers can be brutal, but I think either way I’ll be uncomfortable.  

The other consideration is that if for some reason I end up giving birth way early or on bed rest, well, there goes my pictures.  :(
  • I didn’t really do bump pics last time and I regret it.  My boys love looking at the few we do have and it makes me wish I had more to show them. I was not thinking about them maybe wanting to see them, only that I didn’t really care about them.  This time I’m not going to take a lot at the beginning, but definitely will make an effort to get more later in the pregnancy than I did last time.  I also like @tinattt23 idea to do family bump pics... I think my boys would like that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Lisa3379Lisa3379 member
    edited March 2018
    I didn’t do professional bump photos for my first because I know I’d never do anything with them - hell, I still haven’t really done anything with DS’s newborn pics (other than the birth announcement) and he’s 15 months old! 

I like the idea of having photos of DS with the bump, but probably will save our money for newborn pics instead, and just take the bumps pics ourselves. The cameras on our phones are decent enough. 
  • @SweetSweetTooth definitely worth doing. So are professional newborn pics. I did neither with my first and both with my second. They’re perfect and I love them. Def doing them this time too. Im going to do 3rd tri, shooting for 7.5m pregnant. If I wait any longer than that I’ll worry about an impatient fetus face messing up my plans.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I’m not into professional bump pictures. They’re not for me. I would never display them so it seems like a waste. I am going to try to get few more bump pictures this time though. But professional newborn photos are definitely worth it!
  • I've been a mostly vegetarian for almost 30 years (I'm old). I've never cooked meat in my life. But my cravings for steaks have been so bad that I bought one yesterday and plan to cook it for myself tonight while hubby is at work (he's a vegan).

Advice appreciated. I've literally never done this.
    ***TW***
    DD born April 2015 after many rounds of IVF and losses.

After much more of the same...

• Do you have a grill, @muchwanted? It not, use your broiler. I usually make hubby make the steaks...
  • Do you have a grill, @muchwanted? It not, use your broiler. I usually make hubby make the steaks...
    We have a grill, but it's 25 degrees right now. I'm not invested enough to grill in the cold! Will google broiler directions...
    ***TW***
    DD born April 2015 after many rounds of IVF and losses.

After much more of the same...

• @muchwanted I pan fry mine! (And yes, I use BUTTER! Nomz.)
  • edited March 2018
    @muchwanted My husband sears the outside in a pan and then sticks it in the oven to finish it (especially mine since we’re supposed to have it well done right now - stupid toxoplasmosis ruining steaks for pregnant women).He keeps telling me he wants to teach me to do it, but the smell of raw beef disgusts me right now so if he doesn’t cook it, nobody gets to eat it.
  • @purplegoldfish2 That's how I do ours also and it is so good!! Much better than a grill.

• Omg don't tell this woman to have a well done steak! She'll never want one again! 
    I was actually firmly convinced for several years that I had lost my taste for steak because whenever my ex would make one, it was awful.   Despite my numerous requests to do it medium rare, he always did it well done (no pink at all, ever). 

At one point though, he went out of town for several days, so I decided to grill my own steak- medium rare, just the way I like it.  It was heaven.  I had steak both nights he was gone.  

I won’t even try to eat one right now- if I can’t have it medium rare (which I’m not supposed to), I’m not going to attempt to get it down.  At least chicken works for me.  :)
  • Omg don't tell this woman to have a well done steak! She'll never want one again! 
     :#  :#  But, but.... she’s a vegetarian!  As a former vegetarian, I still can’t eat anything less than medium well and it took me a long time to get here. 
     :#  :#  But, but.... she’s a vegetarian!  As a former vegetarian, I still can’t eat anything less than medium well and it took me a long time to get here. 
    This is so crazy to me. Well done is just so... chewy. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • @knottieamusements I’m with you...if I can’t have it medium to medium rare why bother? 
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • @muchwanted do you live near a Whole Foods or a bare burger?  If so, the impossible burger is really the meatiest non meat I’ve ever tried and you can stick to your vegetarianism if that’s important to you. I had a serious burger craving last week and that really helped. I’m also mostly vegetarian and the meat cravings have been real!
    This is so crazy to me. Well done is just so... chewy. 
    But medium is just so... bloody.  My husband has tried so hard and I’m ok with some red juices, if it’s not cooked enough it just tastes raw to me and grosses me out.  I also have trouble eating things with bones, especially wings.  As long as I don’t think about it I’m fine, but the minute somebody points out that I’m eating off the bone it gets in my head and I just can’t. And people do point it out to me because they see it happen so rarely.  Also, veins are gross too.
  • Another thought- have you tried adding an additional iron supplement?   I would guess that if you were just short on protein, you’d be craving hummus- but steak says iron to me. 
  • Another thought- have you tried adding an additional iron supplement?   I would guess that if you were just short on protein, you’d be craving hummus- but steak says iron to me. 
    I believe low iron is usually signaled by a craving to chew on ice, although I suppose there could be other signals.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• DunkinDecafDunkinDecaf member
    edited March 2018
    FFMC. I eat my steak rare when I’m not pregnant, and I usually wind up snitching several little bits raw while I’m cooking. Pregnant me eats it medium rare but that’s as far as I’m going. 

@muchwanted take a cast iron pan and heat it up, melt some salted butter in there and sear both sides of the meat. Then throw it under the broiler. Check it often. If you overcook it, @stithof is right. It will be chewy and horrifying.

eta I’m also a big fan of sautéeing onions in the pan once the steak is done and resting.

it really bums me out that I find this post nauseating instead of delicious right now.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @krzyriver congrats!!! That's so exciting! I can't wait for DH and I to get into our own place, unfortunately it won't be for a while..
  • chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited March 2018
    Definitely still eating medium burgers and steak now. I didn't think it was rare enough to be a concern? My rare tolerance is high bc my brother would basically like the meat still 'moo'-ing. Sorry for any vegetarians out there...

edit to add-
    @krzyriver congrats on the house!
  • krzyriver said:

The last week or so completely got away from me. Totally forgot I was even pregnant half the time, so I definitely didn't even remember to check here. We went from day dreaming on realtor.com to calling our friend who's a realtor, looking at two dozen houses, putting in offers on two different places, and having the second accepted! We're finally getting out of the ghetto (10 minutes outside Detroit!) and into a crazy nice neighborhood that's 8 minutes away from my parents!!

I wonder if your current place is near me. I'm "downriver", my city borders Detroit on the southwest side. 
    Congrats on your move!!
  • rc-colarc-cola member
    edited March 2018
    @chopchop25 can’t speak for all vegetarians but im not at all offended by other people’s meat consumption! It’s a personal preference. Plus my twin brother owns a food truck that only sells smoked meats... and ive tried the food and it’s amazing.
  •  

@mamabearcj Thank you! I'm hearing that from a lot of my friends... it's so hard these days for so many people. We wouldn't have been able to do it for a long time without a litt help from my parents. But this area is just getting so bad, we couldn't stay any longer.

@sammierose464 We're over in Redford right now. It seems like all the crime is seeping out of the city limits and into the surrounding areas. My husband lived in Redford 20 years ago and it was lovely. He didn't realize how bad it had gotten until we moved in. Anything nicer was out of our price range at the time. Thankfully we rent on a monthly basis so we're out of here in about a month!!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Rare before pregnancy. Medium rare now. You can't tell me how to live my lyfe!!! Also currently eating an Italian sub. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • All this food talk is making me hungry. What’s on everyone’s meal planning this week? 
  • @krzyriver I wouldn't want to live in Redford either. Some of the area if you go further west isn't bad, but the east side isn't the greatest. We're in Melvindale, but on the west side of the city. There's definitely a difference when you cross a certain area. yay for moving!