July 2018 Moms

STM+ Check In 3/14

How far along are you? Girl/boy/team green? 

How old are your other kids? 

Rants/Raves/Questions (related to being a STM, stages your kids are going through, or anything else)? 

GTKY: Who is your go to band/artist when you can't decide what to listen to?

Re: STM+ Check In 3/14

• How far along are you? Girl/boy/team green?  21 weeks tomorrow! Boy.

How old are your other kids? 2.5 (closer to 3)

Rants/Raves/Questions (related to being a STM, stages your kids are going through, or anything else)? 
    It is 6:21 and DS is still asleep. I think he might be sick though, which would be our first real bout with him this season other than a random fever early in the winter that persisted for a few days. As long as he's not miserably ill, I'm going to enjoy these moments of silence with my coffee and newspaper.

GTKY: Avett Brothers. Almost every song they have speaks to some aspect of my life. A lot of their music talks about a struggle to get sober which makes me think of my brother, and a lot of it is about life struggles which really has spoken to me in the past year especially. Plus, banjos and guitars and folksy man voices are kinda my jam! Saw them in concert in September at a small outdoor venue, in the rain, and it was 50 degrees...but best show I have ever been to hands down!
  • tarheelgirl8tarheelgirl8 member
    edited March 2018

22 weeks with a girl 

DD is 2.5

When did y’all flip your car seats to forward facing?  DD is still rearfacing and the weight limit on her car seat will allow her to continue rear facing for a while.  Unfortunately, I don’t think our cars will fit two rear facing car seats. I’ve seen too many news stories about children being in wrecks and being internally decapitated (!) because they were forward facing.  So I’m having a lot of anxiety about flipping her too soon.

ETA:  I realize this is probably a slightly irrational fear because the odds are so low, but I just can’t shake it for some reason.  
  • Loading the player...
  • @tarheelgirl8 I flipped DS at 2 but he's a pretty big kiddo and his legs were squished up backwards. Upon research I could have kept him rear facing for awhile longer, up to 40 lbs and 49 inches, and adjusted the seat. To each his own, I think a lot of people I know think I switched late (most people i know switched around 1) and some people would have continued to keep rear facing! As a bonus, it cut back on tantrums in the car and my anxiety on what he was doing and whether or not he was sleeping or spontaneously choking on something weird.
  • How far along are you? Girl/boy/team green? 
    23 wks today with boy
    23 months 
    I still don’t know what to do for DSs bday.
    Also it’s almost 5 and I’ve been battling with DS to stay in bed for the last 45 mins. He was doing so good staying until at least 530/6. Idk what’s going on. I finally had to close the door on him. 
    @tarheelgirl8 we were planning at turning him at 2 yrs. he’s close to 3’ and 30lbs. I need to check again what’s the recommendation weight and height but i want to check with the pediatrician first. His legs are starting to get scrunched up so we’ll need to do some adjustments soon.

Red hot chili peppers they are my all time fav 
  • Fwiw, legs being squished in the RF car seats shouldn't be a safety issue. Like wildtot is afraid of, in the event of a horrible accident I think it would be better to have a possible broken leg over a broken neck or death. 

We turned DD shortly after 2yo, and I am waiting to turn DS this summer (2.5yo) when we have to fit the third car seat in for the baby. I am hoping it will cut back on him fighting me to go in the seat.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • How far along are you? Girl/boy/team green?  21 weeks with another girl

How old are your other kids? 2 and a half

Rants/Raves/Questions (related to being a STM, stages your kids are going through, or anything else)?  My kid is just a ball of energy and I am like a couch potato. I thought I would have my energy back by now :(

GTKY: Who is your go to band/artist when you can't decide what to listen to? Depends on what I am doing... Nine Inch Nails when driving, etc, ....Moby while working
  • Regarding car seats, mine is 2.6 and still rear facing. She is still really tall so her legs are bent up, but my pedi was okay with me keeping her rear for now
  • DS is 2.5, 3 this July. I plan on keeping him RF until 40lbs which is the limit of his car seat, he’ll reach that before the height limit. It’s less conveneint and his legs are a little squished (usually crossed) but I’d take a couple of broken legs over a broken neck any day. We were in an accident a little over a month ago and he walked away without a bump on him. 

24 weeks- girl! 

Sort of re-sleep trained DS a couple of weeks ago to fall asleep alone instead of having DH or I lay with him until he falls asleep. SOOOO GLAD I DID. I can finally leave the room and he almost always goes right to sleep. I thought it would never happen lol. 
    Just this morning he spouted off 5 new words too, which is huge for him. His speech is really improving out of nowhere. 

Ill usually catch up on my podcasts or just listen to what’s on the radio, I’m not picky. I love my 90’s and 2000’s pandora station for nostalgic road trips though 

• How far along are you? Girl/boy/team green? 22 weeks, girl

How old are your other kids? 2yo and almost 4yo

Rants/Raves/Questions (related to being a STM, stages your kids are going through, or anything else)? I am so happy that my husband is hands-on and competent. He's been doing solo daddy this week while i'm away for work and it's a relief to me that I don't have to worry about it. He also reported good things about DS's first speech therapy visit this morning. The therapist picked up on his weak areas right away and DH said she seems really caring and genuine about getting DS to where he needs to be. She'll be back in two weeks and then I get to meet her. 

GTKY: Who is your go to band/artist when you can't decide what to listen to? In the car I usually listen to an alternative rock radio station and on Spotify I'll pick a station featuring chill "coffee house" music. 

• Thanks for making me feel a little more sane, ladies!  Most of my family thinks it’s weird that she’s still rear facing, and I’ve noticed that most of her friends at school (who are smaller than her) are already forward facing.  I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one.  I’m going to continue holding out as long as possible though I still think it will have to be before the baby comes to get both to fit.  
  • @tarheelgirl8 i think some states may still allow front facing at 1 yr. But most recommendations I’ve seen have been for 2 yrs min. 
  • @tarheelgirl8 I know our kids are about the same age.. I am planning on keeping her rear facing until she outgrows the specs (chicco nextfit zip) or until she is just simply too big. She is ridiculously tall for her age, but still has 10 inches she can grow.
  • @tarheelgirl8 @wildtot FF is legal after 1 in my state, although they suggest you RF longer it’s not required. My family was surprised DS is still RF, but he’s the first little guy in 8+ years and public opinion has shifted since then. Even my
    mom thought DS was supposed to be FF after the infant seat ~1yr, I couldn’t imagine switching him so soon. 
  • SmashJamSmashJam member
    edited March 2018
    I should have talked to y'all before switching! People made fun of me for not switching at 1 around here and you guys make the extended time DS was rear facing seem totally normal! 
  • @SmashJam it’s slowly becoming the new norm. I’m know in Cali that law is maybe 2 years since implemented. My mom didn’t even let my sister and i sit in the front seat till late high school! Now that’s nuts lol 
  • wildtot said:
    @SmashJam it’s slowly becoming the new norm. I’m know in Cali that law is maybe 2 years since implemented. My mom didn’t even let my sister and i sit in the front seat till late high school! Now that’s nuts lol 
    Lol.  I think my family is convinced that’s the path I’m on!
  • haha, I am definitely part of the generation that rode in the front seat of cars as a small child all the time...and even in the rear bed of a pick up truck without any form of restraint, before I was 10 years old! I should ask my mom when the last time I saw in a car seat was--she was pretty poor at the time and didn't always have a car so i can't imagine that we also had a car seat. I remember my brother and sister rode in the built-in car seat of my parent's minivan when they were little, 18+ years ago. At least that had a 5-point harness.

• @flockofmoosen3 they used to have minivans with built in carseats? That is amazing. We were always pretty broke too I do wonder when I got turned around/stopped using a carseat. 

@wildtot @tarheelgirl8 there are kids in the elementary school I worked at still in car seats. One is a 5th grader this year and as of last year his parents still had him in a carseat because he was very small. Not just a booster, but not a full on convertible. He probably only weight 45 ish lbs, maybe 50. Just a small kid! So I guess my friends might just be dicks, lol, and its definitely getting more normal!
  • How far along are you? Girl/boy/team green?  24 weeks. Girl.

How old are your other kids? 2.5 (closer to 3), and 18 months.

18 m DD has two molars coming in, so she's been kind of cranky this week. I'm on pelvic rest so I can't pick her up and comfort her. It's hard. But my DH is a rockstar.

Car seats: I wanted to keep my DS RF as long as possible. He's really sminny, no where near the weight limit. But after he turned 2, it was becoming a fight. Pulling the seatbelt to child lock, kicking the seat, etc. So we decided to go ahead and turn him FF. I think he likes it better bc he can see more. I want to keep my DD RF as long as possible too. She's even smaller than my DS! Hopefully she won't mind as much =\
  • How far along are you? Girl/boy/team green?  21 weeks tomorrow. Boy
    How old are your other kids? Girl - 22 months going on 22 years
    We still haven't taken DD to the dentist...Ped wanted her to go by a year but she wasn't on our insurance so they said we could wait until beginning of this year...still haven't taken her.  Went to my dentist last week and he doesn't usually recommend coming in until closer to 2.5/3 but since she has everything but 2 year molars he said he'd see her. Also we've had 2 successful pees in the potty this week! yay! except now she's sitting on the potty for like 30 min and keeps saying no to "are you all done?" I figured this was a delay-tactic at bedtime, BUT there is significant amount of pee in there after so I guess I should just have more patience.

Car seats: DD is still rear facing and will be until she weight/heights out (65 lb/49 in).  My friend is a car seat enthusiast and has instilled the need for RF in me.  She did have good information on some other equally safe brands that are a little more compact (i'm 5'11" and DH is 6'3" so we need all the driver leg room we can get) so we got one of those for DH's sedan and will give new baby the infant carrier behind the passenger that is a bit bigger.
    GTKY:  In the car I have the radio on, when home or in the office I usually have whatever broadway soundtrack is stuck in my head going, but my fall back is usually Bowling for Soup - I'm still a punk princess at heart.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @gingerbride26 DS just had his first dentist appointment at 23 months. It’s more of getting them use to it than anything else.

@kc1293 ugh molars are the worst! Hope it passes quick. We are expecting our last set of molars soon with DS. He always gets super sick with new teeth.
    24 weeks today! Team boy!

2 years old

My kid doesn’t want to nap but is so overly exhausted that he’s just a turd. Ugh. Finally if I threaten or bribe him, he’ll go to sleep, but never more than an hour. 

Johnny Cash
  • @paytonpedro I hear ya on the nap struggle. I hate that I can't even put rhyme or reason to why he's not sleeping some days but sleeping others, and sleeping in some mornings but waking up at 5am others. It's maddening!

We still do quiet time, so he stays in his room for 45 min to an hour with nothing but books and stuffed animals and he either falls asleep or doesn't. I try to tell myself at least the hour is something but compared to the 1.5 hours I get on days he actually naps, its nothing and its hard to get things done AND do something for myself!
  • @acunamatada they changed the law in our state recently. They made the change in October 2017 to  "Any child who is under 2 years old or weighs less than 30 pounds, regardless of age, must be placed in a rear-facing child restraint." So now your child must be rear facing when they reach both milestones. My daughter may have to be rearfacing for a while since shes so petite, but I am willing to do it. The article announcing it said 8 other states have made it a law.
    24 weeks

19 months

DD is starting to test us a bit harder lately. She is saying no alot and I think we are handling it well, but man. I am dreading the day we have to bust out the whole time-out chair.

Moana and Trolls lol
  • @Katm89 LOL to your music choices. Haven't made it through Trolls yet DS isn't interested for some reason, but Moana is on heavy rotation in the car.
  • Katm89 said:
    @acunamatada they changed the law in our state recently. They made the change in October 2017 to  "Any child who is under 2 years old or weighs less than 30 pounds, regardless of age, must be placed in a rear-facing child restraint." So now your child must be rear facing when they reach both milestones. My daughter may have to be rearfacing for a while since shes so petite, but I am willing to do it. The article announcing it said 8 other states have made it a law.

Stuck in thebix:

my 4 year old isn’t 30 lbs yet. 
  • @elizabethrn87 yea I doubt they reinforce it.
  • @SmashJam I think I enjoy it more than my daughter lol We also do Kids Bob.
  • How far along are you? Girl/boy/team green? 24 weeks - Having a girl

How old are your other kids? DS is 13 months

Rants/Raves/Questions (related to being a STM, stages your kids are going through, or anything else)? DS has been giving us such a hard time at bedtime the last few nights and we cannot figure it out for the life of us. He just thrashes in our arms until he passes out and will wake up a few times. Maybe teething? I don't see any teeth at all so I just don't know. Not looking forward to the balance of his sleep issues with a newborn. 

GTKY: Who is your go to band/artist when you can't decide what to listen to? Depends on what I'm doing. I listen to piano while studying, jazz while cooking, indie or house when just hanging out. 
  • @Kenya715 any fever or ear tugging? DD used to do that with ear infections - pressure when laying down.  Or gas made worse by laying down.  They didn't last too long...try to just enjoy the extra cuddles :-/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @gingerbride26 Nope, no fever or eat tugging. Other than being super fussy, he's been totally normal. I looked in his mouth today and one incisor looks awfully close to rupturing, but it feels too early for one of those to come through. He skipped his second nap today so fingers crossed it helps him get to sleep tonight. I think it's a matter to sleep training again. Ugh...
  • @SmashJam I do the same thing. I don’t usually let him out unless he sleeps, but he’s pretty content. Unless it’s like 2 hours and he still hasn’t slept. 
    All I want to do is sit down and eat sweets by myself, is it that much to ask  :D:D:D