June 2018 Moms

Randomly Randoms {3/12}

Re: Randomly Randoms {3/12}

• krash_krash_ member
    edited March 2018
    I know it has been mentioned a few times not to use car seat covers for our June babies when it will be hot but I just found these muslin covers that I wonder if they would be more breathable. 

https://littleunicorn.com/collections/car-seat-stroller/cotton?pp=0

love this lemon one!!!

ETA: they consider this lemon one girl but I think it could be neutral. Thoughts as we are team green?

*TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Loading the player...
  • @krashke boys like lemons! Also, I love Little Unicorn. I want all the clothes and sleepers and washcloths and towels from them!
  • @doxiemoxie212 idk how I didn't know about them but I just added like a million things from their site to our babylist.com registry. 

like this narwhal burp cloth 

because need obvi

*TW LC*

• @krashke yes yes yes! I discovered them because Lucie's List suggests them for diaper bags. Ours is from there (grey with faux brown letter details, rather unisex IMO) and it's very cute - TBD if I find it functional lol. 
  • @krashke I am loving that floral one. "Summer Poppy"
    I feel lemons could be neutral also. "Prickle Pots" {lol the name} could be too :)

Btw are these more for cooler weather or are they 'summer safe' ? I remember someone mentioned nothing on baby to not 'keep heat in' 
  • @krashke a cursory internet search looks like they recommend muslin for summer so I'd give my uneducated opinion that yes, these would be breathable enough. Good catch, these are adorable! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I knew my nephew was graduating this year but didn't even think about a graduation ceremony. Till today! Exactly one wk post csection. :D
     I'll get home from the hospital sun or Monday and the ceremony is Friday. I will not miss this. Just told my mom I'll probably sit in the car till they get to his letter... he's at the end of the alphabet lol
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • @krashke That cover's super cute. It looks like it's the same material as a swaddling blanket which is what we used for a sun shade in hot weather. (I kind of folded it around the handle or tied it if it was windy.) I google image searched it to try and show you and turns out Jennifer Garner did the same thing and she has the same car seat as me... (pic in spoiler.) Obviously the one you linked would stay on nicely but swaddling blankets work in a pinch and you tend to have a lot of them with a newborn.

Related image

• I posted this previously, but this article also advises against using muslin due to the risks:

https://www.today.com/parents/seeking-stroller-shade-why-covering-blanket-can-be-dangerous-baby-t101059

On warm days, it’s certainly possible to create a greenhouse effect in an enclosed space, like a stroller, even if you use a muslin cloth or other thin, free-flowing fabric that appears to be very breathable, she said.
  • What’s the point of car seat covers? I honestly don’t understand them. I’ve only used a blanket to cover the seat like that Jennifer Garner picture when I was walking through the rain with the bucket. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @dinodna3 obv you are not hiding from the paparazzi 

(Also I don’t know, I’m not even getting a car seat lol)
  • it's easter candy pick up day at DS' school. I'm eating the biggest chunk of the large peanut butter choc egg tonight. plus I've been really wanting some haluski, which they serve at the fish fry there. nom nom nom. is it 5oclock yet? I have my evening lined up and and I'm ready.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • @dinodna3 I rarely leave the house so I think they’d all just think I’ve died. 
  • @dinodna3 I imagine myself using the cover when I'm in more crowded places and I don't want overly baby crazy people getting to excited and handsy. Likely the farmers market or if we end up going to the state fair at the end of August. I don't think they're necessary when we're just out for a walk or running to the grocery store. I will probably get a thick cover for the winter though. 
    *TW LC*

• Austenista  Austenista member
    edited March 2018
    I kept DS covered all the time (winter baby) due to germs and strangers wanting to touch. With this one I'll probably worry about how hot it is here and too much sun in the summer. I'm probably going to need/want to drape something over him. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'll also add that MH and I were looking into the amount of time babies spend in car seats. A newborn, like within the first 4 weeks, should only be in a car seat for up to 30 mins. Then given a break to stretch out for 10-15 minutes. After that babies should only be in there up to 2 hours before a break. So while the car seat cover is nice, you should be checking on your baby frequently and not leaving them in the car seat for hours on end anyway. 

This might be common sense but it was kind of news to me. 
    *TW LC*

• @dinodna3 I always equated them to crate covers for animals. Makes things less stressful and quieter for travel, easier for baby to sleep while you're out and about. I obviously have no idea and eventually will have to stop thinking babies and animals are the same. But I doubt I'll be using one in Arizona in the summer anyways. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• I plan on using the car seats in my stroller, so I can see needing to cover them some when we're walking around the city. Or, if we stop to eat outside and there's no shade, I'm thinking the cover could be handy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • silvergreensilvergreen member
    edited March 2018
    Guys, can I just take a second to rave about the pStyle?? I used it at the doctor's office earlier this week when giving my urine sample and it worked like a charm! I'm usually one of those people that ends up peeing all over my hand and the cup. The appointment before that one the nurse took the cup with her bare hand (even though I dried it off), and I just can't...

ETA: accidentally posted before finishing!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When DD was super young I literally asked my dog trainer friends who have kids as well if it was crazy that I was considering clicker training my baby.  dogs and kids/babies/most adults are basically the same

Did you train the baby, and did it work? The real question/answer here lol
  • I can see the cover being nice for not wanting to random people touching your baby. I would feel like I’m suffocating if I put a blanket over my head while outside, therefore I wouldn’t do it for my baby. This could be personal issue since I have asthma and most small spaces make me feel like that. We always just use the sun shade on the car seat and then lay a muslin blanket over their legs if they are in the sun for any length of time. Also, we limit the amount of time we are outside during peak hours because it’s just darn too hot. 

My dog throws tantrums and rips up the trash if she wants more attention, so yes, dogs and kids are pretty similar at times. 

DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @silvergreen OMG - I just googled pstyle. This is hilarious and looks like it could be a game changer!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @silvergreen @LaceyBee522 my first reaction was "this would've been so helpful on our hikes during our babymoon!" but then I read the part about how if you don't have access to a sink, you should just shake it vigorously to remove as much pee as you can from it.....and nope. Nope nope nope. Would not use on a hike. lol
  • @LaceyBee522 Absolutely!! I was totally skeptical that I was going to leak somehow but it funnels beautifully. Some reviewers recommend a test run in the shower, lol.

@doxiemoxie212 I think some people use bottled water, but yeah - I wouldn't use it unless I could rinse it!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are still apartment hunting. Finding a two bedroom/two bath in our price range has been so challenging. We're looking at a couple in Long Island City (in Queens) this weekend. I'm irrationally sad about leaving Manhattan. I lived in Queens for years and loved it, so I'm surprised by my own reaction. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • MissKittyDanger - ha, the reward I was told I should give if clicker training her was milk, lol.  I didn't end up clicker training her, lol...I don't even remember what made me think of doing it- I think she was going through a phase of not wanting to be put down so I wanted to reward her for being content when I wasn't holding her. 
  • Amphibious22Amphibious22 member
    edited March 2018
    @kmurdock925 you could use the same techniques without the clicker, especially as kids get older. The click is just a communicative bridge to let the animal know exactly what behavior is being rewarded. With children we can use words for them to more easily understand what the reward is for, and they have the ability to accept different rewards for the same behavior. I don't think there is any way for me to avoid using positive reinforcement training while raising my kids. I have heard people say that zookeepers have some of the best behaved kids though so it must work pretty well! Lol. 

ETA: I know we're reading baby books, but if anyone is interested in a good training book, I would recommend Don't Shoot the Dog. It talks a bit about how the techniques can work for people too. Just an overall good read. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• Amphibious22 - oh for sure!  I always used a marker word "high pitched good" instead of a clicker with my dogs...I fumbled with the actual clicker too much and then treated right after.  I totally find myself doing that with DD now just much more out of habit/natural instinct rather than intentional clicker training.  I forget the time, I'm sure you know...what is you- you have 1 or 2 seconds (if that) to treat after you mark the behavior for them to correlate two things?
  • I'm watching a live on BirthTube (I think it was @BurlapandLace that mentioned them) they livestream labor/births on FB. Anyway, the dad is wearing a "Best Dad Ever" t-shirt and I'm going to cry. I think I am going to get a shirt for MH to wear and pack it in my hospital bag to give him when we are in labor. 
    *TW LC*