June 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Summertime Essentials (babies 0-3 months)

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... summertime essentials! We've already had a lot of threads that may have touched on some of these items, but since our babies will be born right before/during summer, I thought it would be helpful to discuss anything essential for summer for babies 0-3 months. Clothes? Swim? Fans? You tell me! :) 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed. :)

For S+TMs: 

• Climate (humid, dry, urban, etc):
  • Favorite [summertime essential]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [summertime essential] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [summertime essential] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [summertime essential]?:

For FTMs

• [summertime essential] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gjNtxy2Kd2JceTYYR5wkwVcpTbU-khgazhjcZnfI1y4/edit?usp=sharing

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Summertime Essentials (babies 0-3 months)

• Options
    jsl82jsl82 member
    DD was about 6 months old last summer- just old enough to be starting to sit up and play.  We went to the beach once for a day trip (I live outside of Philly so it was a 2ish hour drive to get to the Jersey Shore), and went to the pool a handful of times.  Mostly we hung out inside in the AC- carrying an infant when it's hot and humid) is the last thing I wanted to do). 

Sunscreen/ sunblock- I know we have discussed before, but there products not approved for babies under 6 months.  After 6 months only Sunblock is approved- it sits on top of the skin vs being absorbed into the skin.  For our LOs we should be covering them up as much as possible (long sleeve bathing suites, big hats, umbrellas/tents/ect).

We used a pop up tent like this when we went to the beach- if we go again this summer (need to decide soon) we will keep baby boy in the cabana pretty much the entire time, DD will spend 75% of her time in the shade as well.  

Keeping babies cool is most important during the summer- it is advised not to cover the baby carriers with blankets or towels- which restricts air flow.  For trips to the pool this summer, I plan to bring the RnP and keep him under the shade of an umbrella as much as possible.  DD loves the bath, so I'm expecting her to be in the water as much as she can.  I'll baby wear whenever I don't have help (my mom/DH/babysitter to play with DD while I sit in the shade with LO).
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    We have central air. We don't typically have it too cold.

Can newborns have blankets? I've seen mixed reviews, because some grab and risk of it over the face. I was thinking a light cotton blanket in case, or would footie sleeper be a safer bet?

I know most newborns want to be swaddled, but I'll be surprised if this one wants to be swaddled .... she hates any constriction on my belly as is.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jsl82jsl82 member
    @MissKittyDanger the short answer is no- blankets for babies are considered a suffocation hazard (they cannot physcially lift anything off their faces).  Almost all of the swaddle blankets we have I have used 100% as BFing cover ups.  Halo makes wearable blankets, with arm holes, so you can feel like babe is warm in the AC/ Winter but they can't kick it over their faces and/or pull it on top of themselves, pull it through the rails of the crib (strangling themselves), ect. They also make a few swaddles that you can adjust to allow 1 arm free, both arms free, no arms free.  DD hated when we swaddled her but calmed right down for the nurses at the hospital.  She was a winter baby and by the summer we basically had her in footie pjs for bed and she was fine.  These LOs should be fine without a blanket of any kind unless you keep your house below 60 degrees.

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    @MissKittyDanger I think the rule of thumb is to have baby in one more layer than you are comfortable in. So if you are comfortable in shorts and a tank top they would be fine in a long sleeve footie sleeper. Like @jsl82 said blankets are not recommended. Especially for sleeping or when you won't be monitoring baby. And if you need an extra layer then something like a sleep sac would be best. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @jsl82 Yeh our place is typical temps - around 70*F - and upstairs often is warmer.
    I'll definitely look into those swaddles, because only ones I'd seen was babe all wrapped up. I was a stretcher at newborn {hated swaddled} and my H was okay to be swaddled except his hands - they had to be out.
  • Options
    @misskittydanger no blankets for newborns.  Nothing should be in the crib / bassinet except the baby.  Due to the babies' reflexes, swaddles are recommended for at least the first few weeks.  After that, many people use hands free swaddles. DS routinely startled himself awake.  

Also, you should not be draping the carseat / stroller with a blanket while outside in warm temperatures.  The blankets will trap the heat and can cause issues. https://www.today.com/parents/seeking-stroller-shade-why-covering-blanket-can-be-dangerous-baby-t101059

• Options
    what about a bottom sheet? {like what baby lies on} is that safe or is that considered a no-no?
  • Options
    @misskittydanger? like a crib sheet?  or a bassinet sheet? That is fine because it isn't loose.  
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger fitted sheets for cribs or pack n play’s (they make specific ones for them) are fine as long as they fit properly 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Frogg Togg Chiling pads/towels (and like products by different brands - all easily found on Amazon) were a lifesaver the summer DS was born. I would put it between he and I when babywearung to prevent either of us from becoming a sweaty mess. I would also put it under him in the car seat/stroller if we went out on walks to keep him cooler since the car seats can make their backs very hot and sweaty (note ~ I did not, nor am I advocating anyone use this or anything else between their child and the car seat while driving!) 
    Are they good to put on the ground as well? Like if you're in the shade {obv} to have baby lay on over grass? It gets pretty damn humid here, and friend of mine will be coming to visit in August {her youngest will be 5 months, and mine will likely just under 3 months} and we're looking at spending some time at splash pad for her oldest kiddos while we're in shady area
  • Options
    MissKittyDanger said: Are they good to put on the ground as well? Like if you're in the shade {obv} to have baby lay on over grass? It gets pretty damn humid here, and friend of mine will be coming to visit in August {her youngest will be 5 months, and mine will likely just under 3 months} and we're looking at spending some time at splash pad for her oldest kiddos while we're in shady area
    Yes! I plan on laying one down on our picnic blanket that I sit on while DS is in swim lessons - so DD can lay on that next to me 
  • Options
    MissKittyDanger said: Are they good to put on the ground as well? Like if you're in the shade {obv} to have baby lay on over grass? It gets pretty damn humid here, and friend of mine will be coming to visit in August {her youngest will be 5 months, and mine will likely just under 3 months} and we're looking at spending some time at splash pad for her oldest kiddos while we're in shady area
    Yes! I plan on laying one down on our picnic blanket that I sit on while DS is in swim lessons - so DD can lay on that next to me 
    Oh excellent! I've never heard of this brand so I wasn't sure :) we were just going to find a cotton sheet but this might be a hell of a lot better lol
  • Options
    I’m getting some more muslin sleep sacks for the summer. Our AC is pretty weak so it doesn’t get below 80 during the day without a fight. 
  • Options
    jsl82jsl82 member
    thanks for the tip @BurlapandLace... I never would have thought of it, but it sounds like the perfect solution to the sweat issues with summer baby wearing.
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    Lillebaby Airflow carrier  :)
  • Options
    Anyone have any suggestions for poolside essentials? We're renting a house with a pool for a week in August, so I'll probably have them out there with me. I know I'll need shade (because no sunblock), but id there anything else?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @LaceyBee522 Reuseable swim
    diapers are awesome and really the only thing that fits at that age. I think the iplay ones start at 6m but they run on the smaller size. I recommend the ones with snaps because it’s easier to take off if they poop in them. 

DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @LaceyBee522 If you're on Pinterest search "baby beach hacks." I've used some of the tips for having babies at the beach and I think some would apply to poolside lounging.

I've never had a baby as young as 2 months on a summer vacation. Really at that age you just need to keep them cool and fed. The only 2 extra things I could think of that might be nice for you are bringing an infant bathtub to let them rest in. You can let the water sit in the sun so it's not so shockingly cold (that'll probably just piss them off) and a sling you can baby-wear in the water. This also might just piss baby off at that age, though, if the water feels cold at first, lol. Pics. in spoiler.

so mad I didnt think of taking our tub to the beach Good tips for taking a baby to the beach or lake
    Hey I found this really awesome Etsy listing at httpwwwetsycomlisting175751727beachfront-baby-water-ring-sling-wear

• Options
    @llamamama14 Oh, that's a cool pool sling! I've never seen that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @BurlapandLace I was looking at the frogg togg pads on amazon....in the product description they say it needs to be able to breathe in order to really keep cool.  They don’t recommend wearing it under clothes or anything...but did you still feel like it worked wearing it between you and baby?  If so that would be awesome...I really want to baby wear but I am kind of concerned about overheating, both for myself and the baby.  Just seems like it would be so easy for them to get super hot since practically their whole body is covered while babywearing...at least for us mommas it’s just out fronts that are in contact with baby.
  • Options
    Resurrecting this thread because I pulled this product out yesterday and thought I would share with y’all. We love this thing! With car seats being rear facing, they can get really warm since it’s hard to get the A/C to them. So we use this in our car and it’s helped a lot. Now that DS is older (he’s still rear facing), he actually asks for it when we get in the car if it’s hot. 

The Noggle - Making the Backseat Cool Again - Vehicle Air Conditioning System to Keep Your Baby / Children Cool and Comfortable When Traveling in the Car - Works with Most Vehicles - 6ft, Black Ice https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXT23RU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WfnZAb3PET74Y