October 2018 Moms

Symptoms Week of 3/12

Re: Symptoms Week of 3/12

• @chyvie I've lost weight too. I've definitely been eating healthier, but I think the biggest switch was cutting out the alcohol. Not sure how much of a drinker you were before, but for me, I'm confident that is the prime weight loss factor (empty calories plus drunk food binge plus hangover food binge all gone).
    A friends said she lost weight with both pregnancies because of cutting out the beer!
  • @chyvie I've lost weight too. I've definitely been eating healthier, but I think the biggest switch was cutting out the alcohol. Not sure how much of a drinker you were before, but for me, I'm confident that is the prime weight loss factor (empty calories plus drunk food binge plus hangover food binge all gone).
    A friends said she lost weight with both pregnancies because of cutting out the beer!
    I can attest to the absence of wine causing me to lose a few pounds as well haha
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, I was pretty consistently eating wine for dinner before this thing  :D
  • jynjer91 said:
    @coffee-saur My hair too!!! It is parched and my scalp has changed. Not for the better!! Warning this is gross... My whole head feels dry and itchy and my scalp is starting to get flaky too. Idk if it’s dandruff or dry skin or what but omg its gross. (leaves for vomit break) I started taking omegas so hopefully that helps. Any “home remedies” that actually work? I’d rather stay away from head and shoulders because it stinks and has to have a ton of chemicals I shouldn’t use right now. 
    I'm glad I'm not the only one... Started to wonder if it was just me!
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • @legalmamanyc that could be why I lost so much while TTGP the last three months prior to my BFP because I cut down significantly due to being on Metformin and it not mixing well with booze. 
    It is a very good point - empty calories and lots of sugar!
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• @purplegoldfish2 thanks for the advice! From how you described it it’s definitely dry scalp. I usually try to keep conditioner away from my scalp because it flattens my natural curls so much but that sounds like an easy fix!
  • Ugh how can I be expected to actually do any work at work when I’m this tired?? All I want to do is curl up under my desk and take a nap. I don’t remember being this tired when I was pregnant with my son (though DH tells me I was) but I’m hoping once I get to 2nd tri, I’ll get some of my energy back. 
  • @pumpkinpancake So much same. Things are taking me three times as long because I just can't focus. 

I haven't told any coworkers yet about being pregnant, but sometimes I have to go out to job sites. I've managed to get out of it so far, but if it ever comes up I'm going to have to tell. Because there's no way that I could go stand behind a truck for hours without being so tired, wanting to throw up, or needing to pee every 15 minutes (when I'm out in the middle of a field).

• 10w 4d
    the smells. Oh the smells! I feel like nothing smells good and I’ve been trying these sea bands on my wrist but I feel like It’s not working (I adjust them just incase it’s in the wrong spot) but nope. Still horrible.
  • My hair has changed too! I’m getting all the lovely benefits of prenatals, growing fast and shiney... but this randomly happened..... I now have a cowlick that I’ve never had before. It was like the natural part I have in my hair decided to shift. And now I can’t figure out how to style it! So weird 
  • @chyvie I’ve lost 10 pounds with this pregnancy. I think I lost 13 with my first pregnancy. Last time, around the beginning of the second tri I stopped losing weight and kind of plateaued. Then, around 18 weeks I started to gain. Last time it ended up working out OK because when I delivered I was only 23 pounds above my pre-baby weight. I gained a total of 36 pounds but since I’d lost weight I left the hospital at my pre-baby weight. Of course I didn’t look the same but my weight was fine.

@coffee-saur My hair changed a lot last pregnancy. It hasn’t changed so far this time but it still could. My stylist calls it pregnancy hair so I guess it’s a thing? Last pregnancy I also got really hairy. I had way more on my belly and chest, not thick just more hair.
  • Is anyone else starting to worry they’ll never feel normal? This is my second pregnancy, so I’ve been through it all before. However, this time I’ve been sick way longer and way more and I have so many more aversions. I’m starting to worry that I’m never going to want to eat all these foods again and then I’m gonna feel terrible my entire pregnancy. I’m 11 weeks and 1 day today and I’ve been sick since 4 weeks and 5 days. Ugh!
  • @jynjer91 You’re welcome!  I thought that might be what it was based on your description of your hair drying out too.  You could also try washing your hair less often so your scalp isn’t getting dried out as much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 10w3d and anxiously waiting for my turn to see the doctor. First pregnancy and as we are waiting for the 12 week scan to be sure to start telling anyone we are expecting, I have been avoiding posting anything and have been unable to ask anyone questions, etc. I have had to resort to google for advice and what I'm worried about at the moment, I'm sure will be alright, but I just need that reassurance in person to rest my mind.. Have had most pregnancy symptoms apart from actually vomiting, so all good so far, however what started as light spotting a week ago has not stopped, but feels like a light period. This may not be the place to share thoughts like this, but is there a discussion thread or page where we can ask advice from others going through the same thing? Hard to go through this without being able to turn to your friends who are mothers just yet..
  • skukla said:
    Have had most pregnancy symptoms apart from actually vomiting, so all good so far, however what started as light spotting a week ago has not stopped, but feels like a light period. This may not be the place to share thoughts like this, but is there a discussion thread or page where we can ask advice from others going through the same thing?
    This is absolutely the thread to be asking about that. We start a new symptoms thread each week to compare notes with each other. 

That said- if you are worried about spotting, you should call your OB’s office.  They will be able to actually help you figure out if everything is going ok with you and baby, while the best we can do is commiserate. 
  • Thank you. Haven't met with an OB yet (booked in for first appointment in a few weeks). Seeing my regular doctor today.
  • @cdepperschmidt  I haven't gotten there yet, but I remember feeling that way very much last pregnancy. I was so tired of being tired and grouchy and everything hurting. 
    I guess I do wonder if I'll be able to at least keep up with my three kiddos ever again... 
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • @skukla spotting is definitely one of those things that you can and should call your OB about and not wait until your appointment. A lot of time they will get you in ASAP to check everything. I would call them tomorrow and say, I haven’t had my first appointment, but I’ve been spotting for several days. That being said, spotting is not always something to worry about, but it should be checked! 
  • @coffee-saur I’ve barely keeping up with one so you’re awesome for trying to keep up with three! I guess I didn’t feel like this last time. Psobably because I could make my own schedule and rest.
  • @cdepperschmidt I'm certainly not bored
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • Oh for crying out loud. The app erased most of my reply... 
    After my second was born, I coordinated their naps ASAP! We'd eat lunch then all take a nap. And then I did it with the 3rd. Yeesh! I sound old!
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!
  • @jynjer91 super late, but when me hair got like that with my first pregnancy I switched to Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo. It made a huge difference!! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • KFrobKFrob member
    @hellopartyof5 I had no idea Trader Joe's made a tea tree shampoo!  We LOVE Trader Joe's but I've never check out their bath products.  
  • Oh yea @kfrob I love their skincare line too!!! And their hand soap! 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • KFrobKFrob member
    @hellopartyof5 Good to know!  I'm going to try the shampoo!  
  • @skukla spotting is definitely one of those things that you can and should call your OB about and not wait until your appointment. A lot of time they will get you in ASAP to check everything. I would call them tomorrow and say, I haven’t had my first appointment, but I’ve been spotting for several days. That being said, spotting is not always something to worry about, but it should be checked! 
    Especially if your Rh-
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • purplegoldfish2 said: 2x2
    @skukla spotting is definitely one of those things that you can and should call your OB about and not wait until your appointment. A lot of time they will get you in ASAP to check everything. I would call them tomorrow and say, I haven’t had my first appointment, but I’ve been spotting for several days. That being said, spotting is not always something to worry about, but it should be checked! 
    Especially if your Rh-
    @skukla I'm only 7w5d but I've been spotting, went in to my OB, she said everything is A-OK. And she said to stay off Dr. Google because only the scary stories get posted :)  I'm still freaked out myself so I'm right there with you. I've decided to talk to one of my bosses because if I MC I don't want to have to tell my friends, but I would want my partners to know in case I need coverage. So maybe find a not-as-close female to share with that it won't be so awkward if things go badly?

What @purplegoldfish2 said- Rh-, MC or not, if you're spotting call the doc. There's an rhneg thread on this BMB somewhere with more info too - but you can't always rely on your OB to remember you're rhneg. *steps off soapbox* 
    Age 32, FTM, cis-hetero, married since 11-2016. Love is love is love is love.
  • 8w1d, my throat is constantly sore from vomiting and gagging so much.
  • @chopchop25 Same boat! 8w4d and I have yet to throw up. Mild to moderate nausea and plenty of food aversions (and the boobs) but until my first US next week I don’t even know how it’ll fully sink in. 

I can tell you I’m counting my blessings for no MS for sure tho. 
  • For the last few weeks I've been feeling pretty good actually, mostly just super thirsty all of the time and tired in the afternoons. Now I am 7w4d and have noticed a pretty significant difference in how I'm feeling. This week I am absolutely starving all morning, I eat a big breakfast, snack all morning and inhale my lunch and then by 2pm I am exhausted, have a headache and am nauseous to the point of not wanting to even think about food, all of which sticks around for the rest of the day. But despite how tired I feel, I am having a heck of a time sleeping!
  • My lactose intolerance is going crazy, which is weird because my last 2 pregnancies it got better! Boo!
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • The nausea has returned. Last night it was heartburn. (Last night I felt better and wanted barbecue. Not good for heartburn!) I’m tired, and when I see food I feel like I’m going to be sick. Also my boobs hurt so much! It’s reassuring, though. I had two losses, and I haven’t felt this bad since my daughter was born, and she was a healthy pregnancy!
  • 8 weeks yesterday. Nausea and exhaustion. This is baby #3 for me and I have no patience for this!! Begging for 2nd trimester to come fast. 
  • Ugh not so much a symptom, but I just feel so fat today. I don’t know if I’d say that I’m “showing” yet, but I definitely feel like you can notice something (regardless of if it’s just bloat), and I’m feeling particularly self conscious about it today at work. I can’t wait till I’m legitimately showing so that I can bust out the maternity clothes again. 
  • @pumpkinpancake with you on feeling fat today. That said, I've been eating like complete crap and just asked H if he wanted to grab ice cream for dinner tonight. It has protein, right? ;)
  • @pumpkinpancake and @chopchop25 totally with you on feeling super fat. Definitely not a bump yet, but I did get asked this week if I was pregnant at work. :/ Some people have no tact!
  • but I did get asked this week if I was pregnant at work. :/ Some people have no tact!
    Um, yeah, that's not okay. What did you say?
    Someone from our European team asked me that on the phone (bc I can't travel with the team in two weeks) - I chalked it up to a bit of a cultural difference but definitely had some initial shock value to being asked.
  • @chopchop25 I was kind of a smartass, said “No, just fat I guess! Gee, I should burn this dress when I get home!”  Had to shut it down. Her jaw dropped and it took her about 10 minutes to finally apologize. 
    Bahaha that is amazing. I love it!