June 2018 Moms

Ask Your Questions Here (3/12)

Re: Ask Your Questions Here (3/12)

• @2589 I am feeling like I have a serious case of an attention issue going on. I think mine is bc I have so much to do that I'm not certain entirely where to start so I start about 3 different things and finish nothing. 

I just unloaded all the groceries, need to make good use of this day off so I have planned to clean the entire first floor, run to post office and then I need to tackle the spare bedroom and the mountain of like 6 loads of laundry to put away. The reason I am in this pickle in the first place is bc I half ass spot cleaned and only brought the laundry up stairs yesterday. Also the spare room has been in disarray for weeks bc I start organizing and quit. It's like I am in the middle of a bunch of different stuff. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @2589 definitely.  Especially work related. It all seems so pointless since I'm going to be out for 3-4 months.  I have a ton to do at home too, but things need to get done before I can do them.  Like, I need to wash the clothes from DS, but my H needs to put together the dresser.  Before he can do that, we need to clean the nursery, etc.  Plus, I don't want to do anything too early (like order postpartum supplies), so I just end up filling and refilling my amazon cart with stuff.
  • Anyone else notice that they get Braxton Hicks at literally the same time every day? 

Every single day, timable to a the same 5 minute span each day (always in the middle of laying drown with DS for his nap), I get one great big Braxton Hicks. I just find it odd because it’s predictable and they were never predictable with DS. I’m going to ask my midwife about it at my next appointment, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this? 
  • @BurlapandLace I can’t say at the exact same time, but I will say with increasing frequency. I’m having them almost daily now.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • jsl82jsl82 member
    @BurlapandLace with DD I had them at the same time everyday.  With this pregnancy I haven't had many.  
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @BurlapandLace @2589 @jsl82 can you give any description of these?  Does it feel like cramping (like period cramps) or something else?  I've very occasionally been having these weird sensations that I'm wondering if they're braxton hicks or just something else.
  • @taykc90 my OB describes (and I feel) BH as a tightening of my stomach. Sometimes it can be a bit painful but mainly it’s just tight. Kind of like a weak Charley horse. 
  • @taykc90 I wonder the same thing. Will I even know if I have one? I feel like such a newbie and have no idea if I've had a BH contraction or not. This entire pregnancy has been full of sensations and feelings in which I have no idea what they are. 
  • @amys614 THANK YOU! I totally agree, there have been so many random pains and feelings and I feel like nobody really talks about that (well aside from these boards which I appreciate haha).  Like oh you might get morning sickness or have back pain/gas/constipation...but what about all the random cramps?!  Nobody told me to expect this!  Haha
  • jsl82jsl82 member
    For me- the RLP in the first couple of weeks of pregnancy (during the TWW) feels like menstrual cramps where as BH is a tightening, most similar to working out and feeling the muscle contract during a crunch/squat/curl/ect).  I have most of my BHs after physical activity (DID, taking a brisk walk, rigorous cleaning).  I wouldn't say the BH contractions are painful, just noticeable. 
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• I am curious if any ST+M have done baby lead weaning/feeding. Would there be enough interest to do a whole thread on it? Might be something to discuss as we get closer or after the babies are born but you know me and wanting to research and prepare. 

I am specifically interested in what foods worked best for you and how you managed with day care. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• It's a silly question but the shower thread has me thinking... is anyone not wearing a dress for their baby shower?  I feel like it's protocol for the mom to be to wear a dress but a) I don't have one b) it's an intimate get together of probably less than 10 ladies and c) it's this Sunday so ordering is out the question by now.  I was going to wear a nice top and skinny jeans.  I'm probably over thinking it but I was curious if I'd be the only one!

Oh and d) I'm embarrassed about my varicose vein.
  • @becca_123 I didn't for my shower or my sprinkle. I never wanted to spend the money on a dress I'd only wear for a few months, so I just wore my normal maternity clothes. 
  • Y'all talk to me about doulas. My bradley method birth class sent out a list of doulas, and I started to panic that maybe I was doing the wrong thing by not getting one (while attempting med-free), but then DH was like bla bla bla you don't need one, you're a bossy bitch, etc. But then I actually read the (rather long) list of doula recos and a few of them are primarily licensed massage therapists/acupuncturists and THAT DOES SOUND LOVELY to have someone whose entire job is to massage me while I'm in labor...? (Previously I sort of thought a doula would just advocate for my wishes and tell me I'm doing a good job, which I definitely do not need. I hate cheerleaders, I hate compliments in these situations, and I more than advocate for myself on my own.) Thoughts? Experiences? 
  • @May14th2011 Thanks for sharing.  I asked my mom/sister to make sure it wasn't anything super fancy and they said just be comfortable so I think the nice top will work good.  
  • krashke said:
    I am curious if any ST+M have done baby lead weaning/feeding. Would there be enough interest to do a whole thread on it? Might be something to discuss as we get closer or after the babies are born but you know me and wanting to research and prepare. 

I am specifically interested in what foods worked best for you and how you managed with day care. 
    We did!  Well, we did a combination.  First, there is a book about it, but don't get that one, get this one.  It has all the basic information you need, and has helpful food suggestions, recipes, and guidelines.  I think we could definitely do a thread on it later when we get to that point, but basically it was nice because they just ate what you ate with some modifications.  With daycare, they did purees, and I was okay with that because 1) DD was still trying all the different foods and 2) I wasn't about the life of sending in food for her lol.  We are very lucky that daycare provides all the food for DD within out tuition.  

Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @doxiemoxie212 My doula did massage various pressure points, used aromatherapy to help me, and didn't talk to the nurses or any medical staff at all, except to ask questions. She did help me make decisions, by explaining what things meant and helped DH stay calm when I was in pain. Also she had tons of ideas of what to do, things I might not have known or thought of in the middle of labor. "Why don't we try moving like this?" "Let's walk like this." 
    I loved it.
  • @doxiemoxie212 from what I have gathered in Bradley classes and particularly from our instructors that are also doula's is that they will really be there to advise and help when your primary support person needs a break. Bradley is husband coaching focused so I think more often than not they will encourage the husband to do something for you rather than jumping in to do it themselves first. They will likely remind you to eat, drink water, rest, and go the bathroom a lot. I'm sure they will do a lot of massage and any other pain relief methods you find helpful but they wont want to step on your husbands toes. 

That's not to say that that wouldn't be extremely helpful because I'm sure MH will need a break and not having family close by we are kind of on our own so it might be nice to have a secondary support person that is dedicated to us i.e. not one of the nurses or MW's that will also be helping other patients. 

Also as you know this is all from my impression not actual experience as a FTM. 
    *TW LC*

• @sunshineandwhiskey thank you for the book recommendation! Most of what I have found is just on Pinterest. Our day care provider will supply Gerber purees or rice cereal. I'm not entirely opposed to purees but I might have to provide my own if I want organic or homemade so then it might be just as easy to provide BLW foods. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke FTM here but I too would be interested to learn more about that.  I agree thought it might be better to wait until after babies start arriving :)

@becca_123 I agree with May14th2011...you're the special lady and you're growing a person, you get to wear whatever the heck you want!
  • @doxiemoxie212 it might be early on in the course for you because this week we have two full classed in the book of stuff that is all for the coach. It could just be a different style of teaching as well because our class is very much "get ready to work!" to the point where at this point I'm thinking it might be more work for MH than for me lol. 

But I'm sure it depends on the doula and you would get a feel for them and their style with calls/interviews. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke once I'm done with the series, I'd love to compare notes with you because I think it would be really interesting to find out if our classes, though both Bradley, are not really the same at all. Also maybe it's just DH/my relationship. Like, I am the support person in our relationship. If we're on a plane and the middle seat is open between us? DH lies in my lap. On the couch? DH lies in my lap. In bed? DH is the little spoon. So when we did the one exercise where everyone had to get down on the floor in the circle with husband's behind their wives (holding ice cubes? did you do that?), everyone else was like leaning back onto their husbands, and mine was just like no, I am already uncomfortable, do not use me as a chair.  :#:# Sigh... 
  • @doxiemoxie212 haha no we did not have to do that! We have done relaxation exercises where the mamas were all laying on the floor and given a card that said something like "tense left foot through contractions" and then the instructor would tell us when a contraction was and our husbands had to find where we were holding tension and make us relax. We have also done practice pushing and practice early/active labor techniques like using the birthing ball and hip squeezes. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke holy isht, that is definitely not on our schedule at all lol. That sort of sounds fun, though! I think DH would like that more, he likes being a detective, and he likes anything that feels like a competition. This was like, hold an ice cube in your hand for a minute - see how much that hurts? Now let's try some breathing techniques and do it again - see how that hurts less?  :D
  • Oh, do any of you want to view a free webinar on post-partem stuff? The birth instructor is doing one tonight I think from 7-9pm? And she said we could send the registration link to anyone interested. I don't think you have to watch live - if you register, they will send you a link after to watch at your leisure. PM me if you're curious, I'll send you the link. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 PP stuff as in pain management?
  • @becca_123 I think two couples are going to share their experiences with the post partem period (one had a c-section, one was med-free). So I imagine it will talk a bit about what pain they experienced? I think a lot of it will just be a discussion of how you, the mom, sort of stop receiving any care between birth and your 6-week OB appointment, and that it can be a painful, challenging time. I really have no idea if they'll have suggestions for management or just share that it was terrible or share that it was wonderful lol. 
  • @krashke we tried baby led weaning, but DS greatly preferred purees.  It truly is baby led.  That might be a topic to discuss postpartum (3-4 months).
  • @krashke We did BLW too. With DD, we waited until 6m and introduced solids starting with avocados.  But my son was begging for food at 4.5/5 months, so he started on purees then because it’s not recommended until 6m and after. It worked really well for us and we will do it again with this LO. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @becca_123 I vote it is definitely not a requirement. The only reason I wore one is because I felt it was expected. I mean I love the dress I got, but I definitely would've been more comfortable in pants. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• jsl82jsl82 member
    @krashke we also did a modified BLW where DD had some purees (but I only gave her the stage 3 foods or the pouches).  Pediatrician do not recommend starting babies on solids until they are 6 months old- and BLW in particular is big on the 6 month milestones.  This is something I am sure we will start discussing around October/November as the babies are closer to the 6 month mark.  And really the book that @sunshineandwhiskey recommended is the best book to read when it comes to the method.  

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Also @doxiemoxie212 if you do look into getting a doula, check with your hospital and see if they offer doula services or have any that work with them. Our hospital had them, (still had to pay) but because they were through the hospital, they had special privileges that "outside" doulas wouldn't have. They were allowed to accompany you into the OR if there was a csection, and all of the hospital staff knew them so everyone was comfortable with each other.

• @doxiemoxie212 It sounds interesting and informative.  I'd be interested in hearing your summary points from it if you'd care to share after watching it (if you plan to).

@Amphibious22 The "expectation" is what's getting to me lol, but I honestly never wear dresses.  But you looked so dang adorable in yours it's making me wonder if I should just go have a browse so I can look cute in photos.  
  • @becca_123 if you're thinking about it, I'll put in yet another plug for pink blush. Super cute options, not too pricy, and I bought mine really late and paid for expedited shipping. They have overnight shipping as an option too. Don't feel pressured, but if you want to just browse and keep your options open. And I'm sure you would look equally adorable in jeans and a cute top! 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @Amphibious22 Ha thanks.  I have looked several times on pink blush but thought it might be too late to change my mind.  I'll take another look and if anything grabs my attention I'll just go for it  ;) 
  • izza2izza2 member
    How fast are you guys' nails growing?
    I cut mine a week and a half ago and they desperately need to be cut again. It's kind of getting ridiculous.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• @izza2 my nails have always grown at rocket speed, so I have no idea if they're growing faster. I still have to cut them every single day or they're long. (And they're very bendy, so it's annoying AF to have them long.) 
  • @doxiemoxie212 - Yes. A doula is much more than an advocate. Technically, the doula can’t speak up
    for you in the hospital. But they can discuss things with you and help you advocate for yourself. 

But it more than that, they know labor inside and out. They know what to look for during certain stages of labor. They know what suggestions to make when, whether it be changing positions, resting, walking, pressure points, massage, aromatherapy, etc. 

They have lots of tools in their bag - both figuratively and literally - to help you through labor. Having a doula statistically raises your likelyhood of a med free birth. 

MH is a great support in labor, and though we’ve done this before, he is not an expert in labor. We’ve taken the birth classes and will again as a refresher, but having an expert there is a totally different thing. I find doulas invaluable and I highly advocate meeting with some if you are even a little bit interested. Meet with a few, talk with them, ask them questions and see what you think then.