1st Trimester
Options

To Manicure or not?

edited March 2018 in 1st Trimester
I am so excited at my pregnancy numero uno! And to connect with all you mamas to be :) only thing is, I’ve gone manicure free now for 4 weeks- nails are growing out of control since being pregnant. Is it safe to go to a nail salon? Are there any “natural” or chemically safe polishes/Salons in NY? 

Re: To Manicure or not?

• Options
    It’s typically ok but always check with your doctor. You do want to make sure your in a well ventilated place.
  • Options
    OP, I'm in NY and just continued to go to my regular nail place for manis and pedis. I get them done weekly and have had no issues throughout my pregnancy. I don't think there's any reason you need to change your routine. If you're concerned, you can always call your OB's office.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Go for it. 
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • Options
    Some salons smell stronger than others. The one I go to tucks the chemical soaked cotton balls into empty water bottles and put the lid on to minimize the smell. FWIW, I got pedicures through out my previous pregnancies and had two healthy kids. Do what you feel good about but I think you would be fine. 

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I read that OPI  and ESSIE are safe from the big 3 toxins that may effect baby- DBP (dibutyl phthalate), toluene and formaldehyde. Those are typical in nail salons anyway so you should be good. Maybe sit as close as you can to the front door or wear a mask if you're really concerned.
  • Options
    i got my toes done at the salon but instead of polush i just got them buffed so they are nice and shiny