October 2018 Moms

Abnormal Pap

lolo_0924lolo_0924 member
edited March 2018 in October 2018 Moms
Hi! I got a call from my doctor saying my pap came back with some low grade abnormalities. She said I can either do the follow up procedure now (she said it’s safe) or I can wait until after birth. Is it better to have it looked at now or to just wait - I’m assuming since she said I can wait it can’t be too serious? Just not sure what to do. (I’m currently 9 weeks - everything is normal, great heart rate, saw ultrasound, no bleeding) just worried! 

Re: Abnormal Pap

• If your doctor says the procedure is safe to do, best to do it now rather than later. If I had a pap done at 9 weeks that came back abnormal, I definitely would not want to wait 7 more months to address it.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Honestly, I would ask for more info. What is the abnormality? Is it HPV? Are they precancerous cells? I had an abnormal pap in 2017, but there was no reason for it, so they told me that I needed to to take no further action unless I had my next one come back abnormal and it didn’t. Also, can you get a second opinion? 
  • Loading the player...
  • @cdepperschmidt when I asked what it could be the nurse told me theirs a 100 possibilities and that’s why they would need to take a closer look - she said it could be as simple as “hormonal changes” (im my head I’m going well duh my hormones have changed recently). She said they did not test for HPV bc of the type of result - something different point to HPV. I think your right, I may just need to ask some more questions. 
  • I've had one abnomal one come back when I was 18. The procedure they did after was simply spraying my cervix with something that would turn abnormal cells white and they looked at it with a big microscope. Everything was fine and I didn't need anything further. 

You might feel better if you go in to get it checked now. Piece of mind.
  • What everyone else said. Ask them for more info, maybe get a second opinion, and for sure get it checked out if it's going to drive you nuts until then. 
  • @lolo_0924 My PAP came back abnormal for the second year (high risk HPV) right after I got pregnant. My doctor did a colposcopy with the dyes (vinegar and iodine) to get a better look. I have low grade dysplasia and even though it is slightly worse than last year (there weren't any visible cell changes last year and a small spot this year) he sees no reason to do anything except another PAP when I am 6 weeks post partum.
    Me: 25 | DH: 34
    Married since 2010, TTC since Dec 2013
    Dx: PCOS
  • FYI pregnancy can cause abnormalities on pap smears. I had precancerous (cin 2) discovered during my last pregnancy in 2015. At my check postpartum it was gone and my smear came back normal.