June 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Baby Monitors (w/o Dec 4)

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... baby monitors! Video, audio, super techy... anything.

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed. httpsforumsthebumpcomresourcesemojismilepng 

For S+TMs: 

• Favorite [baby monitor]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [baby monitor] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [baby monitor] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [baby monitors]?:

For FTMs

• [baby monitor] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gjNtxy2Kd2JceTYYR5wkwVcpTbU-khgazhjcZnfI1y4/edit?usp=sharing

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Baby Monitors (w/o Dec 4)

• Options
    We have this: 

absolutely love it!! We already have it hooked up with two cameras too. And the cameras come with different lenses. We had to buy the wide lense for DD when she moves to her room. Battery lasts forever, you can turn of the screen but still hear sound, you can zoom. It’s pretty cool. When it ovulates between cameras, you can only hear sound from the room the camera is showing, but it switches every 15 secs or so. 

Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @sunshineandwhiskey how far is the range on your monitor?  We have a similar model and we cannot sit out front of our tiny house with the monitor (DD's room is in the back of the house).  We bought a second cheap monitor (audio only) so we can sit across the street with our neighbors in the warmer months.  We can sit on our back deck without any issues it's just out front.  We haven't had any issues in our house, but we live in a 1524 sq. ft box.  I'm concerned about range if we had a larger house.

https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Split-Screen-Video-Monitor/dp/B00P4874U2/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1512403835&sr=8-9&keywords=summer+baby+monitor+2+cameras&refinements=p_89:Summer+Infant
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):  $275
    • What you like about it:  Love the video monitor aspect.  Being about to see her is great for knowing if she's awake crying or sleep crying.  Also when she's quiet without the video I would assume she's sleeping- not always the case.  More than once I find she's trying to reach the cord for the monitor.  We will be able to use the monitor in both rooms side by side, or switch views.  
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:  Like I mentioned above the range of the monitor is limited.  
    • Is there a [baby monitor] you don't have but are considering? Why?:  They are expensive so we will likely stick to this one.  
    • Is there a [baby monitor] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
    • Additional thoughts on [baby monitors]?:  On Halloween we set up DH's work phone to facetime his personal phone and put it in front of the monitor. This allowed us to see the monitor as we were giving out candy and DH was having a few more beers with the neighbors. 
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jsl82 our house is a little over 2000 square feet. It works in every room and even outside in our yard. We have a neighborhood pool across from us as well and have debated to see if the range works there too  :D
    Married March 2016
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I got the wide view "best of the best" Summer's Infant video monitor in 2015. They don't sell it anymore because the technology changes so quickly. I have been happy with it, but I still plan on buying a new one as opposed to adding a second camera. I have my eye on this Summer's Infant Dual view. It offers split screen viewing as opposed to toggling between 2 rooms. https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=107532626 - I believe it is a BRU exclusive, and it is currently out of stock. Makes me wonder if something new is around the corner. I'll probably buy this as late as possible since the models change so often!
  • Options
    • Favorite [baby monitor]: Summer Infant Video Monitor 
    • Link/picture: 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): In Canada it ranges from $170-$200
    • What you like about it: can add multiple cameras. Wide screen. Has a microphone, so you can speak to baby if you ever need. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: the range is pretty good, but we do find it’s not as good if we are outside on the opposite side of our house as DDs bedroom.
    • Is there a [baby monitor] you don't have but are considering? Why?: nope. love this one, gonna stick with it.
    • Is there a [baby monitor] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: non-video monitors. I feel like I would constantly be waking baby up by having to go check on them due to not being able to see them. This way I can easily see DD and what she’s up to.
    • Additional thoughts on [baby monitors]?:
  • Options
    Right now, we have this vtech one. The camera looks like an owl on his shelf... which freaked him out for a few days cause you can move the head around etc from the handset. Before this we had a summer infant one (older version than what's out now) and liked it a lot. The charging cord went bad so we had to run to target at 8pm one night and grab whatever they had... which was the vtech. But I really like it. Love love the talk back feature now that he's older. Not sure that would help much for a newborn. But he's 5 (and yes. Still monitored) so it's great. And the picture is really good. Only thing I don't like is you can't 'shut off' the picture at night. So I put it face down so it's not glowing at me all night.

Heres a link 

https://www.target.com/p/vtech-174-owl-digital-video-baby-monitor-with-pan-tilt-camera-and-night-vision-vm344/-/A-46794800

me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Options
    We just have an audio one. DH was never interested in a video one, and I really didn’t care. I’ve never missed it. It’s just a $20-30 Safety First monitor. It’s lasted three years with no problems!

ill probably just move it to baby’s room when s/he moves into a room. DD is fairly independent at this point. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    FTM!

We're looking at this monitor:
    https://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=93753706
    Name: Levana Alexa 5" Video Baby Monitor with Temperature Monitoring

$179.99 {CAD}

- Benefits of this?
    - Is there a better one out there?
    - anything else you wanna mention?
  • Options
    Anyone have the Owlet or Angelcare things? Or know anyone who has them?
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 I am a FTM but I am 100% getting an Owlet. My good friend and coworker just had baby #2 and has used it on both. She has said that the peace of mind is worth every penny, especially if you are a worry wart, which ahem, guilty. 
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 One of my previous BMB moms has the angelcare and loves it.  She said it is great, and gives her real piece of mind.  I have heard mixed reviews of the Owlet - The big reason people don't like it is the number of "false alarms." 
    Married March 2016
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @katykat03 I'm pretty sure that's the same one we have. I've never felt the need to look at baby while they're sleeping, and if they're awake I go and get them. I'm also pretty stingy and don't want to spend a ton of money though, lol.
  • Options
    What does the Owlet actually do? I have read the website - is it just a heart monitor oxygen monitor?

Has anyone heard/read reviews on the Sproutling (I think it just came out). I think it only monitors baby's sleep - not heart or oxygen. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sproutling-baby-wearable-tracks-sleep/

Is there one that does everything??
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Owlet: The false alarms complaint is what keeps me from getting it.
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 I have an Angelcare. He was in the RNP so long we never used the thing that goes under the mattress. The video monitor is nice and I like it. We recently had to replace it because the sound is going out in the monitor (DS likes to play with it and stick it in his mouth which what I suspect is the culprit there). We bought this one by Summer Infant, but haven't tried it out yet. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    moguippymoguippy member
    edited March 2018
    Reviving this to see if any more STM+ have any more advice to offer. 
    ETA:
    Super awkward. I'm from July 18 and used the search function and didn't realize it sent me to June 18.... But I'll still take your advice lol
  • Options
    @moguippy Ha! I, for one, am glad you revived this thread. I've been meaning to ask if anyone has any insight on the new Alexa monitor (Project Nursery)? 
    https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/project-nursery-reg-smart-nursery-baby-monitoring-system-with-alexa-voice-control-in-white/5031977?skuId=63902679&registryId=545635240&sopt=

I registered for it because I already use an Alexa and I like that it connects to my phone instead of a separate monitor screen. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @moguippy haha! We could use some baby monitor talk anyway! 

FTM here so not from experience but we went with the infant optics video monitor I wanted something that was video and could also do just audio. It had a lot of good Amazon reviews and comes with different lenses so you can do it focused directly into the crib or you can use a wide angle and get the whole room. @LaceyBee522 I actually wanted something that didn't connect to our phones and send notifications. I think it would drive me bonkers and I was trying to figure out logistically how it would work if we had a baby sitter over. We would have to connect it to our iPad but I didn't feel comfortable giving a stranger access to everything on the iPad. I'm not tech-y enough to figure out how to do that. Also, you can hook up two cameras to the one monitor which would be good for twins. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @krashke That's the one that I put on my registry too because of good reviews.  Have you tried it out yet for picture quality/ease of use?

@LaceyBee522 I saw that too and since we also use Alexa it peaked my interest.  The smart version doesn't have too many reviews yet so I'm waiting to see what it's like.  I also agree with krashke that I'm not sure that I want the monitor taking over my phone.
  • Options
    @becca_123 we haven't received it yet. Someone bought it off our registry so we wont be able to play with it until April. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    +1 to registering for the infant optics video monitor. I originally registered for a nest cam since we already use nest for other things and it can connect to our Google home, but it got very mixed reviews for using it as a baby monitor. I decided to switch thanks to the earlier posts on this thread and Amazon reviews. No one's bought it yet, but hopefully someone does since it's a little pricey. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• Options
    @krashke @becca_123 We have the infant optics one and love it!  We have two cameras already, and the wide lens for DD when she is eventually in her toddler bed.  I really have no complaints about it at all.  It is easy, the picture quality is great, and it was even easy to figure out how to hook up the second camera ans switch between the two.  Its nice that it will automatically jump from camera to camera too if you want.
    Married March 2016
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @krashke It didn't even dawn on me that I can hook it up to my iPad...duh! I actually like it more, now that I realize that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @krashke ah got it.

@sunshineandwhiskey thanks for the review - I haven't seen anything really terrible about it but just wanted to make sure!
  • Options
    Just in case anyone is still undecided, we have used the Motorola Connect for about 2 years and will be adding a camera to this system for the new baby. I tossed around finding a new system because every so often the camera goes offline and just needs to be unplugged/re-plugged in to reset itself. Sometimes this is once a month, sometimes 2-3 times/week. So not the most completely perfect system, BUT it comes with a monitor unit and can be pulled up on the phone as well. I mostly only use the monitor unit since I’m basically always in the house with her, but when DH is home he will wait til she’s asleep and then if he needs to go out to his shop to work on something he can pull up the feed on his phone via WiFi so he knows when she’s waking up again. Most other systems that I’ve found only offer monitor OR phone so it looks like we’re sticking with this one since it does both. 

Pregnancy Ticker