September 2018 Moms

Deals, Steals, and Freebies

This is a good place to share that amazing deal you just found! 

Re: Deals, Steals, and Freebies

• FTM question: Is a video monitor truly necessary? We both would prefer a regular audio monitor -- after all that's what our parents had for us and we turned out fine! Something I'm missing though?

• Loading the player...
  • adirat said:
    FTM question: Is a video monitor truly necessary? We both would prefer a regular audio monitor -- after all that's what our parents had for us and we turned out fine! Something I'm missing though?
    We have only audio. There have been a handful or less times that I wished for video. I also know I'm the type of person to want to watch him a ton if it's an option, so it's best for me not to have the option. I love our audio monitor, and $17.

He's a terrible sleeper still at 20 months, but I think video of him messing around would just frustrate more. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like having a video monitor to be able to check in the MOTN if DS cries out to see if he actually needs me or not. But I also can appreciate that I have spent way too much time watching the monitor to see if he's awake, asleep, etc. Personal preference, can't hurt to start with something basic and buy more later on.
  • We also have a video monitor and I love being able to see DS. If he's fussing and laying down, he'll most likely go back to sleep on his own. But if he's fussing and standing up, he may need attention. I like knowing which scenario is happening without having to go into his room and risk waking him up if he wasn't actually fully awake already.

Our first video monitor I dropped the parent receiver and broke the screen. The few days I was without it were unbelievably annoying and I was so happy to get another video one.

Definitely personal preference, but I love having video. I also don't sit around and stare at the screen so it works for us. The screen is only on when I need to check why he's making noise.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • @smsaulino was the honest diaper sample one of those things where it signs you up for a subscription? They do samples of their cleaning and personal care stuff, but then send you something every month and its a pain to stop it.  I'd love some diaper samples but don't want loads of them coming now
  • We got an inexpensive foscam surveillance camera and use a baby monitor app for it on our phones then a cheap basic audio monitor for backup. I like it alot, I don’t carry around an extra device during naps, just peek at her w my ohone as needed, and use the audio one when I’m sleeping. 

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• @nackie yes... but I cancelled same day the package arrived. When you set up yourself up for a trial, they use the information to make you an account on their site. It was a weekend so I knew I wouldn't be able to contact them over the phone, so I went to the Honest site and signed into my account and canceled the subscription. Took less than 5 minutes. When baby is born and it's a good fit for them, then I can easily start the membership back up. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• adirat I have absolutely loved the video monitor! Gives me peace of mind being able to see what he's up to. It's also been helpful because sometimes my son will make a noise or cry out but he's still asleep and everything is fine... without the video monitor I would have rushed in there during those times and woken him up lol! I did get one without Wifi because it creeps me out that those can be hacked.

Me: 28, DH: 30 Married July 2014  DX: Severe MFI- 3 failed IUI's, IVF #1 Egg retrieval June 4th 2016, 5 day transfer- BFP Baby Boy! EDD 2/25/2017. Our sweet miracle Carter Bennett arrived 2/12/2017 6 lbs, 2 oz 19 inches. <3 Surprise BFP!!! Baby Girl due 10/1/2018.

• Skip Hop is on Zulily today- I love their stroller organizers and other diaper bag accessories!
    https://www.zulily.com/e/skip-hop-271773.html

Me: 28, DH: 30 Married July 2014  DX: Severe MFI- 3 failed IUI's, IVF #1 Egg retrieval June 4th 2016, 5 day transfer- BFP Baby Boy! EDD 2/25/2017. Our sweet miracle Carter Bennett arrived 2/12/2017 6 lbs, 2 oz 19 inches. <3 Surprise BFP!!! Baby Girl due 10/1/2018.

• Skip Hop is on Zulily today- I love their stroller organizers and other diaper bag accessories!
    https://www.zulily.com/e/skip-hop-271773.html

I have their Stroller Organizer and Pronto Changing Pad - I love them both and use them all the time.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • +1 on preferring to have video (especially when they start rolling in the crib) 
    and +1 on specifically wanting one not on WiFi #teamparanoid
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • @fwtx5815 - I refused to buy WiFi too. Even though our network is secured. No thank you to someone hacking my kid's monitor.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • jhjocelynjhjocelyn member
    edited February 2018
    I love the summer infant playard!! 
    ...and the kidco go-pod! 

Wifi camera’s aren’t always unsafe. Though I def understand they can be. We live rural, our monitor isn’t on the internet just our house wifi, no one not in our yard can pick up the signal. Between the driveway alarm and dog we know when anyone is nearby. 

I feel like a schlub, I have had no inspiration for researching baby gear and nursery themes. Sorry kid #2! Hopefully things kick in soon. 

Edited: technicL difficulties and typos

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Thanks all for weighing in. I didn't even think of hacking into the video so now I am even more staunchly team audio only. Fwiw we plan to keep the baby in the room with us for a couple months so maybe I'll learn what the various sounds mean by the the time we move him.

• @adirat $17 for the audio, and you can always upgrade later if you really want. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • adirat said:
    Thanks all for weighing in. I didn't even think of hacking into the video so now I am even more staunchly team audio only. Fwiw we plan to keep the baby in the room with us for a couple months so maybe I'll learn what the various sounds mean by the the time we move him.
    There are WiFi and non-WiFi video monitors available. I have a video monitor but it does not use WiFi.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Anyone see the coupons floating around for a free carseat canopy thru the carseat canopy company? You just pay shipping. I remember seeing them during my last pregnancy, but thought it felt scammy for being free so never did it. I have a girlfriend that did it and she said it’s legit and raves about her canopy cover! 
    AF Wife/ Mama / Brewing Baby H / Photographer
  • I didn't get that, but I tried out the wrap, the breast pads, the leggings, and. ... something else. The items were free, but shipping was silly high, like $15-20? Quality was debatable at best. Not impressed.
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did the leggings, and was happy with them.  They weren't super high quality, but I only needed them for a few months and they worked well for me
  • shouse11 said:
    Anyone see the coupons floating around for a free carseat canopy thru the carseat canopy company? You just pay shipping. I remember seeing them during my last pregnancy, but thought it felt scammy for being free so never did it. I have a girlfriend that did it and she said it’s legit and raves about her canopy cover! 
    I got them from Motherhood Maternity whenever I bought something there. I used the Udder Covers coupon to get a nursing cover. The shipping wasn't cheap, but I absolutely loved the nursing cover I got from them. It has a piece of boning in the top so it keeps the top of the cover away from your face and you can see down to see what baby's doing.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • I have babylist and I didn't see anything about a welcome box... @smaulino did you have to go public to get the offer?  Bc I haven't done that yet.
  • @BusinessWife I first started the registry last summer and kept it "hidden." I didn't complete all the steps either. I kept seeing the box being advertised all over social media and I had to contact them about it. At first, they told me that I wouldn't be able to get one because my registry was made before January 1st this year, but someone else messaged me back and okayed it after I told them I hadn't put in a due date until January 2nd. Regardless of how long you've had it on there, I'm sure if you sent them an email, they'd send you one. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• @adirat https://offspring.lifehacker.com/how-to-find-a-hack-proof-baby-monitor-1797534985

Incidentally, the one the author recommends the one I already had on my list. ;)  At first, I was with you for sure like, do I even need a monitor?  But I mean I do see the benefits, and mostly I can see using it if baby is sleeping in our room and I am down in the kitchen / laundry room doing things.  So we'll see if anyone in our family thinks it's important enough to splurge on it for us, too! Lol If not, meh.  We'll live.
  • Thanks @nackie and @DanyTargaryen! I’ll try that. I looked for an option to delete originally but I didn’t see one. I wasn’t probably looking hard enough.  :D
  • edited March 2018
    Zulily has some really cute maternity/nursing clothes right now! I may have just ordered a bunch of stuff...
    (ETA pictures in spoiler because they're huge!)

Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• ellbeedee said:
    I got the Amazon welcome box! Just had to make a registry and then order one 10 dollar item off it. My box had a muslin swaddle, a ton of diapers, a burts bees onesie, and a bunch of coupons and samples.
    My Amazon welcome box sucked last time! I’ll have to try again...