October 2018 Moms
Options

BFing advice

Unfortunately, BFing did not work out for DS. My milk came in late, and since DS was jaundiced, the LC at the hospital recommended I start pumping with a hospital grade pump immediately, but even then my supply was very low.

He also had severe tongue and lip ties that we weren’t able to get lasered until he was over a month old.  So no latch, and later we found out that he’s lactose intolerant to boot. I caved and gave him formula at 3 or 4 days old because I couldn’t stand his hungry screams. I tried supplementing, but later found out my milk was making him sick, so at 6 weeks or so that was the end of that. 

Have any STM+ been in a similar situation and were able to successfully BF a sibling? Is there anything I can do this time around to make it easier?  Lactation cookies while pregnant? 
Thanks for any thoughts and advice on this. 
Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: BFing advice

• Options
    I don’t have advice for all of that, but my DS also had bad jaundice and my milk took a while to come in. We got this syringe thing from he hospital with this long tiny tube and put formula in the syringe. Whenever DS would latch on me we would slip the tube in the corner of his mouth so he would be sucking and helping to get my production going but also getting some formula to help his jaundice and hunger pains. 
    Something to keep in mind if the situation is similar again. 
    I also have a friend who had a very similar experience to yours with her first. She just had another and that baby nurses like a champ and her supply is awesome. I don’t think she did anything different, so everything might just work out easier next time for you!
  • Options
     @kablaze I wish I had been aware of that syringe feeding method back then! If I end up having the same issues, I’ll definitely try that next time, so thank you!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) is what you’re talking about. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My milk took some time to come in after I had my daughter. My mother kept giving me an herbal tea to help with milk production. I think it was called mother’s milk, they have it at target. I believe it has fenugreek and anise in it. That did the job. I also ate the lactation treats. Thin
  • Options
    I caved and supplemented as soon as we got home because my daughter was so hungry. Day 5 my milk came in and we did ok with BFing but not great (found out later she had upper lip tie). I ended up pumping for 4 months and had a great supply until I spiked a high fever one weekend and my boobs never recovered. I was power pumping and  pumping all day and would get one whole bottle. I finally decided to give myself a break and went to formula. Best decision ever. I will try to BF with this one and see how far we can get but fed is definitely best in my house. Sanity means a lot to me after the first one. 

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• Options
    Agreed, fed is best! I have no regrets with DS. We had so many obstacles in the very beginning, and I definitely wasn’t supported very well. The LC at the hospital spoke with me for ten whole minutes. 

In hindsight, DS ended up needing hypo-allergenic formula, and I’m not sure anything I could have done differently would have changed that. Not to mention, having DH help with bottle feeding definitely helped save what was left of my sanity! 
  • Options
    Agreed, fed is best! I have no regrets with DS. We had so many obstacles in the very beginning, and I definitely wasn’t supported very well. The LC at the hospital spoke with me for ten whole minutes. 

In hindsight, DS ended up needing hypo-allergenic formula, and I’m not sure anything I could have done differently would have changed that. Not to mention, having DH help with bottle feeding definitely helped save what was left of my sanity! 
    I could've written this! My DS didn't latch well at all and my nurses would help, but no one really had good advice other than just latching him on themselves. He ended up on hypo-allergenic formula as well. I was so devastated when we had to switch, but oh my god! I was going insane trying to do it all myself. DH helping made a huge difference! Fed is best!!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    Finding a good LC is a lifesaver. Someone outside the hospital that can help you throughout your journey, not just the first day or two. My son did great in the hospital, but once we got home things went downhill. Positioning issues, latch issues, reflux. We lived with our LC for a couple months as new things popped up. Eventually we found our rhythm and now he’s still nursing at 14 months old. 

Hopefully this time isn’t as hard. But at least I’ve found my resources in case it is. Or maybe something totally different will happen and this will be a formula baby. As other have said, fed is best. 
  • Options
    So nursing DS was not a challenge. My milk didn’t come in until day 5 and I was a just enough producer, but DS nursed fine. 

BUT

I killed myself nursing and pumping to make it to 12 months EBF and he never even fully weaned until two. This time I will not stress over pumping and EBF. Feed is best and there is nothing wrong with FF or supplementing.