Infertility

Tubal infertility and ivf

Hi, guys,
I need an advice, I had an EP in my right tube right by my ovary, my left tube is no good all scarred and stuff based on the wonderful doctor who did my surgery. And I am lucky I still have both ovaries. So long story short I am into my first ivf cycle. We did good: 7R, 6M, 6F, 4B. My re said that my right ovary is being lazy and we probably damaged it during my EP surgery he said, it should come back... For now we have 4 blasts: 2 5 day hatchng blasts, 1 6 day hatching blast and one last chance 6 day expanding little one. So we should be good right? Not really. . . Fresh transfer ends in high number CP, next transfer was a BFN, next FET was a low number BFP and CP again. I have one low quality embie left. My RE thinks that  my embies go into tubes because I had an EP before, he thinks I should cut my second tube. I disagree, it should take more than just a hunch to go into surgery again. What do you ladies think? I am transferring my last low quality embie soon and I can't talk myself into removing my second tube. Do you think I should just do it
Me 30, DH 39
TTC since Aug 2015, 
BFP Apr 2017 - late diagnosed EP, right tube removed, left tube scarred.
Dx: tubal IF
IVF Sept 2017, 7 R, 6M, 6F- 4 blasts, 1 transferred fresh - CP
FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
FET #3 BFP!!! EDD 12/15/2018!

Re: Tubal infertility and ivf

• I haven't been through what you're going through, but I have hydrosalpinx which has completely damaged my right tube and we're not yet sure of the state my left is in, so I've done a lot of research on it and IVF. If there's substantial scarring, it may be of benefit to remove the tube. I've read studies that show more success with ivf after removal of tubes in women with tubal factor infertility than without removal or ligation. I cannot make the decision for you, but I highly recommend researching articles about success rates with ivf and damaged tubes vs removal of damaged tubes prior to ivf. You can never be too informed about these things. Good luck, I know it's not an easy decision. 
  • Yes, if your tube is damaged it decreases your chances of implantation to less than 10%. I just had surgery last Thursday to remove a tube for this very reason. My problem is caused by endometriosis. I have 1 tube left that is intact, but prior to surgery I gave my RE permission to take both tubes if it was necessary. It's a personal decision. For me, I'm 36 years old and I'm going to do IVF anyways, so I don't need the tubes. But at the same time, it was a hard decision knowing that I would never concieve naturally. My RE said with the damaged tube gone, success rates go back up to >50%. I agree with above poster, definitely take time to research this. Good luck to you! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I also have tubal infertility (3 EP so both tubes gone) and I would love to know how the removal of a tube increases implantation? They implant embryos into your uterus, particularly your lining so where does the Fallopian tubes come into play? I have heard about EP happening after transfers because the catheter was put up too far. I was preparing for IVF after my second EP and my left tube was saved but scarred.I just did my first IVF cycle and transferred 2 embryos. I always wanted some insight on this same question. Thank you in advance for any information you can share.

@DecemberDoll27 research, ask questions, get second opinions if necessary, ultimately go with your gut feeling and do whatever you feel will give you the best chance for your THB, GL!
    Me:28 DH:33
    01/10/12 : First ectopic pregnancy  :'(
    Dx:PCOS
    2012-2015: TTC #2 (2 rounds of clomid + metformin)
    04/13/15: Second ectopic pregnancy  :'(
    02/29/16: Third ectopic pregnancy  :'(
    Tubal Infertility
    Married: 2/11/17  <3
    7/21/17 : Consult with RE  :#
    10/12/17 : Second consult with a different RE
    1st IVF Cycle scheduled for Feb 2018
    02/13/18 : ER
    (22 follies,16m Eggs, 11 fert, 5 blasts)
    02/18/18 : ET 
    - 2 beautiful blast 3AA,2AA (highest quality)
    02/27/18 : First Beta - 193!!!
    03/01/18 : Second Beta - 546

• @mrsa2017 I have only read about hydrosalpinx and removal of tubes. Hydrosalpinx is fluid built up in the tubes. This fluid can flush back into the uterus and cause difficulty implanting and less successful transfers. 
  • This may not be relevant to the OP, but this is something I read when I was first diagnosed. 
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds oh wow that’s horrible. I would definitely remove, no questions asked, if that was happening to me.
    Okay so now I’m wondering why @DecemberDoll27 RE said he “thinks” they are going in her tube. When you’ve had a couple CP that obviously implanted in your uterus because they weren’t someplace else?! Implantation happens with EP just not where they supposed to and you more than half the time has to have a tube removed but that hasn’t been the case since you did IVF. I’ve read about other women on here who had pgs normal embryos and had either CP and BFNs but their RE didn’t “think” they were going into their tubes. Do you think he is grasping at straws and not trying to really find out why you aren’t on your way to having your THB?
    Tubal Infertility

• edited February 2018
    @mrsa2017 okay, I just edited this because I didn't read well enough lol. She said she's had EP before, so I'm wondering if the RE thinks she might just be at higher risk and IVF will be more effective without?
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds now that sounds more like what an RE should say. Because after my first EP I was told that I was at a higher risk for it to happen again and so said so done. That is the reason we starting looking into IVF after the second time. EP sux! The next breakthrough in science needs to be finding a way to correct that but I’m guessing it would be hard once the embryo starts to burrow in.
    Tubal Infertility

• Thank you ladies for your input! Just to clarify - my first EP was natural pregnancy. After that we went straight into IVF. Ivf resulted in 2 CPs and one BFN. And my RE is obsessing about CPs being EPs ( no hard evidence of that at all). We are transferring our last embryo in a month and adding Lovenox to the protocol to see if it will do the trick. 
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
  • @DecemberDoll27 ... Why lovenox?? That seems like a strange addition for fertility? This is from my limited experience in fertility treatment, I've just never heard of an anticoagulant being used in IVF. Does he think you're high risk for blood clots or something? I'm confused. 
  • Lovenox is used to treat reaccuring pregnancy loss, so the idea is that blood clotting prevents implantation and/or causes early mc. It is used in fertility quite often. 
    Me 30, DH 39
    TTC since Aug 2015, 
    FET #1 Dec 2017- BFN
    FET #2 Jan 2018- CP
  • Hm, interesting, I've never heard of that.