April 2018 Moms

Contractions at night + preterm labor?

On Sunday I went to the hospital at exactly 32 weeks to be checked for dehydration. Turns out I wasn’t dehydrated, but I was dilated to a 1 and was having cramps on the monitor without even feeling them! After two hours of monitoring, I was 2 cm dilated and 60% effaced, so they admitted me right away and started me on Procaria to stop the contractions. I didn’t dilate any more after that but they did give baby steroids for her lungs over the two nights I was there. Now, for the past 3 days that I’ve been home, I’ve been having sharp pains in my pelvic area and pretty strong contractions throughout the day. However, they’re irregular so I dismissed them as Braxton Hicks. But it seems like at night they become regular starting around 7 pm, I’ll get them every few minutes and they’re pretty strong!! Should I be worried? I have no idea if what I’m experiencing is changing my cervix or not. I don’t want to have this baby yet :O 

Re: Contractions at night + preterm labor?

• Considering you have been in the hospital and have already received treatment to try to stop preterm labor I would take everything seriously and call your doctor asap. 
  • Agree with @JJMNO1616 - this is a question for your OB. I’d be calling even not having had pre-term labor symptoms previously. 
    Me: 31  DH: 32
    Married: 10/3/15 
    TTC: May 2017
    BFP: 7/20/17
    EDD: 3/29/18
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd be on my way to hospital with no questions asked. 
  • Mmmm and what did they tell you when you got discharged? Probably call your OB to anything suspicious!? I’m sure he have better advices than a bunch of internet strangers 
  • *Lurking from July*

The same thing happened to me with DS. I started having BHs at 16 wks but they progressively got worse even with daily medicine. By 32 wks i was 1in dilated and showing contractions fairly frequently. I was scheduled for NST twice a week, strict bedrest, and continued medication (something called nifedipine). I was also given the steroid shots as a precaution. I did ended up in L&D at least three times but was able to make it full term at 39 wks for my scheduled c section. I never fully dilated or went into labor after all that. Definitely keep calling to your doctor! I hope all goes well and baby stays put!