October 2018 Moms

Anyone Not Gaining weight?!

carlyamccarlyamc member
edited February 2018 in October 2018 Moms
Obviously is still super early so it’s not a huge deal but I haven’t gained any weight yet! I am 161lbs and 5’4 so technically I’m ‘overweight’ although I hold a lot in my hips and legs and definitely don’t consider myself heavy so my weight gain is only suppose to be 15-25
lbs. I guess I’m just nervous. I thought you weren’t suppose to be nervous the second time around! 

Anyone else not gaining weight or even losing weight?!

Re: Anyone Not Gaining weight?!

• I'm down a lb or so at just over 6 weeks (and also a few lbs overweight.) I think pregnancy has kicked my metabolism into gear a bit since I have the worst time losing weight. Plus I'm working out and just not as hungry, even though I'm still trying to force myself to eat as much as I did prior. I figured the weight gain would come as the baby starts to grow more significantly in size.
  • With my first pregnancy I lost 6-8lbs my first trimester from all the MS and didn’t start gaining weight until maybe 16 weeks. I wouldn’t worry!
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Loading the player...
  • No gain in the first tri is no big deal. Last time, I think I lost like 5 lbs. I still had issues gaining in second tri which my doc started to get worried about, but I started eating more and got back on track. Gained the normal 25-30 lbs by the end. 

When I was falling behind, I kept this on my fridge. Helped me get back on track. 
    https://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html
  • Don't worry about the weight gain. It shifts a lot during pregnancy. With my first I lost about 10 lbs in the first tri, gained the 10 plus 5 in the second, and then a full 20 the last few months. I was around 200lbs when I got pregnant with my first and my Dr never had an issue with my weight or health. 

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• klpv415klpv415 member
    edited February 2018
    I'm really overweight now so prior to getting the BFP I had been dieting by limiting my carbs. I mostly just eat fruits, meat and vegetables which I know is good for the baby anyway, but I'm curious what the doctor will say about my weight and what needs to happen throughout the pregnancy. 

Edited to add: Although I haven't changed my eating habits since getting the + I noticed my pants this morning were a little more snug than usual. 
  • @lynzev
    My dr didn't have a problem with me being overweight. I would say watch the fruit intake. With my first, all I craved was fruit and it almost put me into gestational diabetes because of all the natural sugar. 

I didn't gain much in the first bit but of course my pants kept getting snug because of the bump. I felt like maybe I was losing weight on other parts of my body and gaining it in the middle where the bump was?? Because I actually lost weight and was still having to buy maternity pants by week 10. 

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• @krgriffin26 Yeah I had started snacking on fruit because it's what I had around the house, but now I'm trying to eat cheese and other forms of protein instead because of the sugar. I'm already dreading that glucose test everyone talks about. 
  • @lynzev - I’m also dreading the glucose test.  Trying to make changes now (stopped drinking soda, trying to cut down on pasta, eating more salads) to make it easier later if I have to cut out carbs.  

But- pasta.  And, well, pasta.  
  • I feel like  I've already gained too much. Before my BFP I had gotten back into a good fitness routine and was working on cleaning up my eating. I have insulin resistance, so I gain very easily, especially when I eat carbs. Since all I really crave or feel like eating right now are starchy carbs, I'm a bit worried about my weight. My jeans still fit fine, but my stomach seems to be huge (and it's not just baby...). I want to get back into working out, but I'm just exhausted and sick.
  • I have lost a few pounds, but I’ve also been extremely nauseous so I haven’t been eating a lot.
  • @lynzev @knottieamusements
    I pass/failed my glucose tests. Yes I took several lol. I would pass 1 hour but then fail the second. One the three hour I passed 2 but not the third. Anyways, I didn't really have to change my diet, I just had to eat small meals more often. I was eating something every two hours or so. I had to cut fruits big time but didn't really have to change my pasta or potato intake. 

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• I'm actually trying not to gain any weight right now.  I'm not dieting or restricting, but being very careful about what I eat.

I gained 50 pounds with my last pregnancy and losing that weight was really, really hard.  I would like to not have to do that again if possible.

image        image

• I’ve typically stayed the same or lost weight 1st trimester. I have more than made up for it with both pregnancies later on! I wouldn’t worry, if you are being healthy savor the saved lbs for later on!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I've lost about 8lbs over the last two weeks, which is a lot for me. I've been trying to drop those pounds for a few months after I tore my ACL and had to stop working out/running. So I was surprised to see the scale go down. I've had some nausea, so I've started eating smaller meals. I'm wondering if that's kicking my metabolism up a bit. Plus it helps to cut out all the alcohol. My fiance hosts bar trivia and I usually travel with him, so we were pretty moderate drinkers. Fingers crossed it helps him drop a few pounds too. Ha. This is my first pregnancy, so it sounds like the weight won't show up for a few more weeks? My first prenatal appt is early March, so I'm looking forward to getting some clarity on that. 
  • On days when i don't feel like puking all the time, I try to eat lots of protein and veggies. On days when I have to carry a bucket around with me, I just try to eat very small meals of whatever sounds like it will stay down. My overall goal is to not gain any weight during the first trimester since I'm already overweight. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • :( I've lost 6 lbs so far 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • edited February 2018
    OP I’m the same height as you and carry weight similarly. For DS I started out around 160. I ended up loosing 11 lbs and only topped out at 183. This pregnancy i started at 178 and I’m down to 172. Totally normal from what I understand. In the 2nd, and especially the 3rd Tri the weight comes on no problem.

EDIT: The first tri of pregnancy seems to be the only time I can loose weight with no effort :neutral:
  • I’ve lost 10 lb so far because I can’t keep anything down. (6wk) 
  • Ha-not gaining weight. Lol. Im overweight and i already gained 2 pounds and im eating the same things, trying my best not to overdue it. I need help.
  • @cdepperschmidt I basically followed this exact pattern. Started at 156 pre-pregnancy, lost during the first tri, gained some during the second tri, but gained the most in the third tri. I gave birth at 183. Started this pregnancy at 173 and I have lost a pound or two. I’m a bit disappointed I was unable to lose weight from my first pregnancy.