October 2018 Moms

UO Thursday

pebbledampebbledam member
edited February 2018 in October 2018 Moms
Let's hear those unpopular opinions (since I forgot to start WTF Wednesday this week)!

Me: 29 | DH: 29
Married 12/2016
DSS born 01/2016
TTC since 01/2017
Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • kiwi2628 said:
    My UO- I find this board to be very polite and friendly....and I miss the stark from TTGP
    Wait until we get to know each other better.  We’re still trying to figure out where each other’s landmines are. :)
  • Everything I know about pregnancy and kids under the age of five, I’ve learned in the last six months.  If I could skip ahead to having a kindergartner (while retaining the bonding and integration of lives that happens in the first five years), I’d do so in a heartbeat. 

I haven’t changed a diaper in over 20 years. I didn’t really think of it as a skill I might need. 
  • kiwi2628 said:
    @Gizmo1231 ITA. I also find them to sometimes be a #humblebrag
    ^wss

AFM, I have a few. We don't let my two-year-old DSS play on the tablet or our phones. We figure he has plenty of time to learn how to use technology and we want him to be able to entertain himself. 

On a completely different note, I don't find Channing Tatum attractive. 

And I hate avocados. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • My UO is I hate Bobs shoes. Back in the olden days, that style used to be worn as "house shoes," and you could buy them at Walgreens for a couple bucks. My depression-era Great grandma used to wear them, because at size 11, she couldn't find shoes anywhere else to fit her that she could afford. They are also ugly AF, and the buy one pair, donate one pair thing is a joke, because at the price of $50, I could buy and donate a lot more than 2 pairs of ugly shoes. Lol, and I thought Uggs were bad. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I was on Glow while TTGP and never said a word for fear of my head being ripped off! Here I thought the bump was just a very civilized and polite bunch of ladies. Now hearing it is snarky in the TTGP boards shocks me! You all are a bunch of lovely ladies here! :)
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• @pebbledam
    WHAT?! Channing Tatum is the sex god of my dreams!!

My UO is that I am against monogramming your kids initials on things. 
  • @pebbledam we’re the same way with our DS. He’s turning two next month and the only time he uses the phone is when we’re doing FaceTime with the grandparents. I don’t judge people who let their kids play with technology all the time, but I think there’s something to be said about a kid being able to entertain themselves the old fashioned way. 

My UO is that having some of the “weekly” threads on the board that aren’t tied to a specific day (like weekly randoms, but not WTF Wednesday) start mid-week gives me anxiety. It’s probably just my ocd, and I’m cool with going along with what the majority of the group likes, but to me, a weekly thread should start at the beginning of the week. Admittedly, I can definitely be a little too ocd about organization sometimes, so I’m trying to get used to it! 
  • We let our DD play with our phones and we have flash card and shape games for her. She's 18 mo. DH and I both work in technology and it is a huge part of our lives so I love watching her do it 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• My UO is that having some of the “weekly” threads on the board that aren’t tied to a specific day (like weekly randoms, but not WTF Wednesday) start mid-week gives me anxiety. It’s probably just my ocd, and I’m cool with going along with what the majority of the group likes, but to me, a weekly thread should start at the beginning of the week. Admittedly, I can definitely be a little too ocd about organization sometimes, so I’m trying to get used to it! 
    I don’t mind that they don’t start on a certain day, I just wish I could figure out which day!

• My UO is that having some of the “weekly” threads on the board that aren’t tied to a specific day (like weekly randoms, but not WTF Wednesday) start mid-week gives me anxiety. It’s probably just my ocd, and I’m cool with going along with what the majority of the group likes, but to me, a weekly thread should start at the beginning of the week. Admittedly, I can definitely be a little too ocd about organization sometimes, so I’m trying to get used to it! 
    Agreed! My last BMB was super strict about when threads are started and board organization so that's what I'm used to. But it's still early so I'm sure the kinks will get worked out here soon.
  • @knottieamusements I tried to put them all on the welcome thread along with who is "responsible" or willing to start them. I'm more than happy to add more if people want to see them on that thread!! Then at least there's "some" organization. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • I’m actually with @SawyerRichardson - I imagine most of the kinks will get worked out as we go.  Also, I’d hate for my grumpiness to stress out the people who have volunteered to help keep us talking. :)
  • @pebbledam I have to agree about changing and avocados. I want to like avocados but I just cant!
  • @SawyerRichardson yeah I’m sure it will all get worked out as we all settle in, so in the meantime I’m trying to just go with it! 
  • My kids play with technology and yet still entertain themselves "the old fashioned way" all the time.  Really.  All the time.  It's called healthy balance.

I actually think they end up learning a lot from the technology we give them exposure to.

image        image

• ^except Captain Underpants.  0% educational value in Captain Underpants. 

image        image

• My UO is I really don’t like the weekly check in as opposed to the weekly ticker changes. I just feel it’s the same week after week because we are all at basically the exact same place in our pregnancy. I always liked the variety that came with having everyone spaced out a little bit, saying how big baby way this week, and felt it was helpful to me on a previous BMB when I was bringing up the rear and was always checking in with the same ladies a couple weeks ahead of me. As mentioned previously, I know I’m in the minority and will go with the flow - just not a fan.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I don't like the Olympics. Never watch the games, find it very boring.
  • My UO is I think the super strict board organization is dumb. I like this board because it’s a little more free. I lurked a lot in September and god forbid you start a thread. It makes the boards boring. Also, I’ve been hoping for some drive by or troll type posts so I can have some good reading material. I need to go back to lurking on other boards. 

I agree, weekly DD threads. How do you feel? Crappy? Me too. 5 weeks? Me too. Random GTKY? Don’t really care because I don’t.l do whatever the thing is. 

I hate monograms. I actually hate personalized stuff. Like if you give me a personalized blanket I can’t use it for any other kid. Also what if I say I’m going to name the kid one thing and you make me something and then I change my mind? 
  • @nasalot188 - you are not alone. But then, I’m team green, in part because I hate the idea of making expectations for baby before they even arrive. :/
  • @knottieamusements I'm team green too, which probably adds to my dislike for them lol. With DS we were team green, this time DH wants to find out. I feel like I need to give in cause I got my way last time...but we'll see ;)
  • *waddles over to August '18 to lurk*
  • To two of my coworkers: PICK. UP. YOUR. DAMN. FEET. WHEN. YOU. WALK.
  • Maybe that was just bitching, but whatever. 

• I worry I rely on technology too much with my 6yo. I try and make sure to balance it out. My siblings (10 and 8) are way too reliant on their iPads, and it drives me crazy. We let my SS take his tablet when we are going somewhere it will be hard for him to entertain himself. He does get to use it at home on occasion, but I don't let him sit on it all day. Once it's dead, it's done for the day usually. Then he can go play with all the toys he has and never touches!