Infertility

Acupuncture anyone?

We have had 3 failed iui's with clomid and now 3 failed with injectibles including Gonal f. Next stop is IVF which I've been putting off for a few months because I needed a break from all the testing and needles. Unexplained infertility as the testing looks like chemically and physically everything is "normal" for my husband and I. This year I have taken a new job in the hopes of lowering my stress and hoping to also get some more exercise in. I was wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with using acupuncture? And anyone recommend an acupuncturist in the Boston area? Thank you. 

Re: Acupuncture anyone?

• I've been doing acupuncture on and off through our TTC journey for the last 7-8 years. I've been going religiously for the last year. I find that it REALLY helps me with PMS/AF symptoms and also with my response to meds (there was a cycle I didn't go and my response was pitiful and once where I started going late after I had already been stimming for 4 days,  and my response went from 1 mature to about 10 mature follicles within 48 hours of my session). My RE'S office recommends that all their patients do acupuncture. I find it also helps with my stress level. If you're going to go,  find someone who specializes in fertility (preferably someone who is also a naturopath or doctor of Chinese medicine so they can support your fertility in other ways as well). GL!
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• I started doing acupuncture about a month ago and my acupuncturist also started me on some herbs. It has definitely helped with stress, and while it's only been a month, I actually had a normal cycle this time and it's been a while since it's been normal! I'm in limbo right now as I'm out a couple of cycles while I wait for a cyst to resolve, so I figured why not do this in the meantime. My acupuncturist also times her treatments around whatever fertility treatment you're doing,  so it gives you the best chance at conception. It may sound weird, but I compare it to getting a massage, because I literally fall asleep within 5 minutes of those needles going in. It completely relaxes me!!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Jumping in late, but also wanted to add some additional thoughts for those who might find this later.  Accupuncture worked wonders on my lining.  I did multiple cycles (clomid, fresh transfer, frozen transfer) where my lining was always questionably too thin.  I have had no issues since incorporating acupuncture into our cycles.
  • I haven’t started it but I plan on this week. 
  • I just started up with it today to help prep for my ivf in march. I have done it in the past for terrible period cramps and it worked great. I inexplicably feel better after each session, although I cant fall asleep during. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I had my first appointment and I mean it relaxed me. It most definitely did. I had tension stress for 2 days and after my first treatment I was relaxed. I have to go twice a week since my retrieval is in 2 weeks. I’m ready to go on Saturday again lol
  • I've been doing acupuncture religiously since the beginning of my IVF journey and while it has yet to lead to a BFP, it has done wonders for my state of mind, which is half the battle. I have been calm and relaxed though the whole crazy ride and I am not normally a calm and relaxed person. Plus, I LOVE my acupuncturist and tell her everything! I would highly recommend it. I can't personally recommend anyone in Boston (I am in Western MA) but I will ask my Boston friends if they have any recs.
    Me: 39 DH: 38
    TTC since 2015 - low ovarian reserve
    March/April 2017 IVF #1 - 2 eggs retrieved - 2 fertilized - 0 blasts transferred/frozen
    May/June 2017 IVF #2 - 2 eggs retrieved - 2 fertilized - 1 blast frozen
    July 2017 FET - BFN
    October 2017 IVF #3 - 7 eggs retrieved - 6 fertilized - 2 transferred - 1 blast frozen - BFN
    February 2018 - FET - BFN
  • A little late to the party but wanted to chime in that acupuncture has been working wonders for my husband and I. It's helped to increase his count from 7.5M washed to 18M washed over the course of a month (plus additional vitamins). I don't have any physical benefits yet, but we've been working on getting more blood flowing to that area and it's helped to release some tension. 
  • At what point did you ladies go during your cycle to do acupuncture? I figured shoot if it could help with stress maybe I should consider going. But during stims or before transfer?

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• @mcgeeva I have not yet started IVF, but I do know there is a specific protocol the acupuncturists follow related to retrieval and transfer. I've just been going every other week for now until I start the IVF process in a few months. 
  • So this story didn't end well, but my first positive pregnancy test ever was after one month of herbs and acupuncture. I LOVE my acupuncturist. She used to be a nurse at a RE office so knows so much about infertility. She's awesome and I love going to her and getting her treatment in addition to western medicine. I am doing my next IUI with her right now and even though I was on the same dose of clomid, I had MORE follicles this time around. Lining is still a bit thin but clomid always does this to me.
    TTC History in Spolier:
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    Diagnosis: Me: Unexplained. Him: 1% morphology pre-washed.
    IUI  - CANCELLED Jan IUI - 100 mg Clomid Days 3-7. Cancelled after Estrace stunted follicle growth. BFN 
    IUI #1 - Feb/March, 2017 IUI - IUI+7 days Clomid+HCG trigger shot. March 1st IUI. 3/15 BFN
    IUI # 2 - August, 2017 IUI -  7 days Clomid + HCG trigger shot. IUI on August 12. 8/26 BFN 
    *TW* November 1st, BFP. Ended in MC @ 6 w 3 days. 11/20/17. **Natural Cycle with Acupuncture & Chinese Herbs. 
    IUI #3 Feb 24 2018, IUI + 7 days Clomid + HCG Trigger Shot. Feb 24 IUI. 3/12 BFN
    *TW* 5/10/18 BFP/MC. Natural Cycle. 1st Beta 232, 2nd 850. No Fetal pole seen on U/S, 5/30/18. Medicated MC on 6/23. 
    IVF #1, Stims begin on August 17th. ER, 8/28/18. 32 Eggs Retrieved, 18 mature, 18 Fertilized. 12 Day 5. 6 Blasts Tested Normal with CCS. 
    FET 1, 11/6/19. 1 Embryo Transferred. NEG BETA 11/15
    FET 2, 1/29. 1 Embryo to Transfer. +HPT 2/5. Beta 2/7 = 137, 2nd HCG = 317. MC at 6w4d. No fetal pole seen on U/S

• Alright I have setup acupuncture for next friday. A week or less before retrieval. Can't wait to see how this goes! 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• FWIW, I saw my RE office now offers laser acupuncture (sans needles) administered directly before and after IVF procedures at a cost of $200 out of pocket.
  • FutureMrsMerati that's awesome they offer that. Although 200 is a bit out of budget for me with the cost of ivf. My friend found a great place that is 90 a session but half of that if I allow medical students to watch the doctor do needles. I chose no students but I think I'm only going to go before retrieval and before transfer