October 2018 Moms

New bras! (Larger cup sizes)

In one of the check-in threads, I saw a comment about needing new bras in larger cup sizes, but hesitant about where to find them since the mama was a DD to begin with. 

It seemed like a good discussion for everyone. Please share your favorite places to buy larger bras. If you have any wisdom on maternity/breastfeeding bras that would be welcome too!

Re: New bras! (Larger cup sizes)

• My favorite place to buy bras in larger cup sizes is https://www.barenecessities.com/. You do need to be careful because they have both US and UK sizes. 

I also like https://www.lanebryant.com/, but I don’t know if they carry smaller band sizes. (I wear a 42, so I honestly haven’t paid attention to what they have that is smaller.)
  • Last go around, I sized up mid pregnancy and again later on with just regular bras. Got a cheap soft nursing bar from target for right after. After 3 weeks I got fitted for a good one at Nordstrom’s. It was Natori. Got me through about 10 months then I got a Bravado in a size smaller that I’m still wearing.
  • Loading the player...
  • I absolutely fell in love with Anita bras last pregnancy.  They sell them in nice bra stores, but I bought mine online after having a friend measure me.  I started out with a large bust ( DD) before pregnancy and went up to a G, and the right after delivery and while breast feeding I went back down to an F.  So for me, bras aren’t just for show, I need them to be supportive and hold the girls up! I bought the nursing bra with underwire and it was awesome.  I wore it well after my nursing days.
  • DunkinDecafDunkinDecaf member
    edited February 2018
    This bra. It’s spectacular. I will not wear underwire anymore. Life is too short. 

https://trueandco.com/bras/true-co/true-body-lift-scoop-neck-bra/5702

eta: I’m a 34D usually, went up to 34DD when I was nursing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • After a certain point in both pregnancies underwrites hurt SO BAD. They just dug into my ribs. So yea, team no underwire here. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited February 2018
    I ordered two good nursing bras from Soma around 12 weeks that were a size up from my normal 32D.  I wore the 32DD through my whole pregnancy, until close to the end when I went up to a 34DDD.  I got two of those from Motherhood, and two more cheapo ones from Target.  After a couple of months of nursing I went back down to the 32DDs until I weaned.  I stuck with underwires the whole time.  

eta: if you think you're going to nurse go straight to nursing bras
  • I would hold off for as long as possible to buy new bras or you will just spend crazy amounts of money to continue upsizing. I waited until my third trimester my first pregnancy when I absolutely could not take the underwire one more day and got some nursing bras that resembled more of a sports bra that I knew I could grow into. Even late into your pregnancy you will probably need another size up once your milk comes in if you really buy specific size bras that you are getting measured for. This time around wires and half of my sports bras are already killing me! 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @DunkinDecaf could you nurse in the bra you linked? Looks comfortable!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • So I ended up going to speciality store here in Indianapolis to get fitted for nursing bras... much more costly but they held up these girls well and I didn't have to convert anything. I'm currently STILL nursing but wearing a normal bra. My boobs are so freaking tender... I'm hoping they only grow as much as they did PP with DS2. After I'm done with these babies Mama is getting a boob job. Stat.
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • I heard to go right for the nursing or maternity bras. Get the most out of your money since you will most likely need them eventually! 
  • @Gizmo1231 I am right there with you! After nursing DD my boobs need some serious help. 
  • @Gizmo1231 What store did you go to. I'm starting to grow out of my pre-pregnancy bras. They are Ds so I'm going to need supportive nursing bras for sure.
    Me: 25 | DH: 34
    Married since 2010, TTC since Dec 2013
    Dx: PCOS
  • I have been wearing sports bras. I am not big in the chest but they have been really comfy. I am sure I will be sizing up my regular bras soon though!
  • I wore wires my entire pregnancy. Never bugged me. Went right back to wired nursing bras 3-4 weeks later (though I will admit I mostly just lived in nursing tanks for awhile). Anything no wired just doesn’t feel supportive enough even with my tiny boobs. 
  • @tinattt23. I am the same way... I have big boobs and just feel like my boobs are resting on my ribs if I don’t have underwire.  It feels so uncomfortable me, as does going braless.  I put a bra on the minute I wake up and it stays on right until I go to bed.  
    I did buy a band extender because my rib size changed and that helped with any digging!
  • Thank you for this!! Now to find the energy to have DH measure me..
  • @DunkinDecaf could you nurse in the bra you linked? Looks comfortable!
    It’s not ideal for nursing. It’s very supportive so it’s wicked comfy but form fitting on me. You can definitely nurse in it, but I wouldn’t call it a nursing bra.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited February 2018
    I’m going to advise  not going right to nursing bras. I did that last pregnancy and then when my milk can in I had to size up again. 
  • Agree with @cdepperschmidt. If I’d have gone straight to nursing bras they wouldnt have fit. Also, my nursing bras got some serious wear and tear and didn’t even make it through a full year. So I just would have had to replace them sooner anyways. 
  • I had two sizes of nursing bras.  After a few months of nursing and weight loss I went down a size.  So I used the ones I wore while pregnant during probably the last 6 months of my year of nursing.  I wouldn’t have been able to avoid the two sizes.  I pulled out my giant ones the other day and it blows my mind that I fit into them!  
  • Okay, you have to be careful with this recommendation, but I've found Zulily to occasionally be a treasure trove for good bras at reduced prices with large/out of the norm band and cup sizes.  I'm a pre-pregnancy 30G, and have a specialty store nearby that I go to, but that gets expensive. Zulily will occasionally carry some of the same brands that Bare Necessities has in a huge variety of band/cup sizes.  Earlier this week I just bought a Affinitas bra a cup size up from my usual on Zulily for $15. 

Her Room also has a huge selection of brands and sizes in bras.
  • Can I just say that I absolutely hated nursing bras? I could never figure out those stupid snaps and usually just ended up popping my boob over the top to save time because DD was not a patient baby. This time I might just get new wireless bras that are easy to pull down. I really like those bras that are basically sports bras but with normal straps. So comfy.