Infertility

March 2018 IVF

Re: March 2018 IVF

• kyapplbkyapplb member
    edited February 2018
    Is anyone changing their diet to try and help prevent OHSS? I was in for a “mock transfer” yesterday and my MD said I’m pretty high risk for OHSS, which if I start to develop it they will just do my ER in March and then freeze all the embryos and do a FET in April.
    Supposedly a high protien diet and lots of coconut water/electrolytes is the way to go? I have my med teaching class Thursday and plan to ask my MD then. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • moly416moly416 member
    edited February 2018
    @azetter1 Towards the end of my IVF stim #1, I had so many follicles, they gave me cabergoline to combat OHSS. The nurse did say to stay hydrated but nothing about consuming high protein foods. 

Tomorrow, I'm having my WTF appointment. I'm very anxious that I can't concentrate at work. For background, I did my first IVF stims last January. Everything was going well until the day of ER where only 4 eggs were retrieved, two of which were immature despite having tons of follicles. Unfortunately, none of our embryos made it to Day5/6.

Anyway, I kept track of my IVF stims which you can see here. https://imgur.com/a/I860k

The doctors said they've gone through the details of my first cycle and have figured out where to go from there. I can't wait for their explanation tomorrow! 

History in Spoiler
    Me: 34 DH: 31
    Dx: PCOS with history of endometrial cancer (under control with hormone therapy)
    RE advised IVF as fastest way to get pregnant before hysterectomy
    IVF #1, Jan 2018: Tons of follies, only 2 eggs, zero blasts :(
    IVF #2, April 2018: 22 eggs-> 16 mature -> 9 fertilized -> 3 5-day blasts -> 2 PGS normal
    FET#1 June 2018

• Loading the player...
  • @azetter1 I’ve read that a low-carb and high-protein diet is recommended for post ER.  Over the past couple weeks I’ve been trying to train myself to eat less carbs.  It’s hard for me because I love pasta!
    Me: 32, DH: 34
    3 fur babies - Cali: 10, Lily: 8, Gus: 1
    TTC: 2+ Years
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    IVF March 2018: BFP Twins due 11/27/2018 

• @moly416. I hope they have a good explanation! It always is more frustrating for me when they just aren’t sure. 

@josiepasta i feel ya, I am trying to resist, lol. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hi ladies!  I wound up starting my cycle a bit earlier than expected, so started BCPs last Friday.  Expect to start stims on 3/3.  I have my pre-stim scan Monday the 26th.  Excited to get going with this cycle.  :) 
    **TW loss mentioned**

Me:40 DH:42
    TTC since 12/15
    June 2017:  First IVF cycle; four embryos - 2 PGS normal
    September 2017: FET - BFN :'(
    December 2017:  FET - BFP but early MC  :'(
    January 2018: Surgery to repair septate uterus
    February 2018:  Second IVF stim cycle to start

• My big box of meds arrived today!!!  This is starting to get real!

• @moly416let us know how your meeting with the RE went. 

@txjewel you’re so lucky. Your cycle on BCP is so short compared to my 3 wks. I was telling my husband this past weekend I hate taking BCP since it’s literally making me count the days to stim...makes it so much longer. 

@josiepasta I felt the same way when I received my package!! 
  • moly416moly416 member
    edited February 2018
    Had my follow up appointment earlier. I'm glad it's a couple of weeks after ER, as I wasn't as visibly emotionally upset.

So my RE said that I probably started with too low of Gonal-F/Menopur. I started with 225 IU of Gonal-F only, on Day 4, ultrasound didn't show much except maybe 1-2 follicles. See here -> https://imgur.com/a/I860k
    Then they increased my meds to 150 IU Gonal F and 150 IU Menopur. But apparently, that still wasn't enough because the follicles that were developing were still too small to count at Day 6. After that, they increased meds to maximum dosage of 225 IU each and only then we saw the follicles growing more steadily.

So basically, this time they want to approach it more "aggressively" by starting me off with 225 IU of Gonal F and 225 IU of Menopur. They also want to trigger differently this time, they want to do a combination of hcg (ovidrel) and lupron. Last time, I only had ovidrel as the trigger.

I decided to do my next stims in April but I'm still going to be lurking around here and posting! 

Edit: I forgot to say they wanted to add DHA and CoQ10 supplements to my regimen of Folic Acid and  Vitamin D.

History in Spoiler
    Dx: PCOS with history of endometrial cancer (under control with hormone therapy)
    IVF #2, April 2018: 22 eggs-> 16 mature -> 9 fertilized -> 3 5-day blasts -> 2 PGS normal
    FET#1 June 2018

• I go in tomorrow for my injections training and ultrasound and E2. Oh and let's not forget to make that awesome payment they are expecting lol. I had such a busy weekend it flew by so I am looking forward to the rest of the week going quickly as well. I just really hope it all works out perfectly for all of us!
  • Happyin14Happyin14 member
    edited February 2018
    Hi! I go here, I hope. I used to be more active but took a break from IVF and from forums. A bit about me:

********TRIGGERS OF ALL SORTS. Living child, loss of a child, m/c*********************

DS1 was born 11/10 and we lost him suddenly in 8/13 - at 2.5 years old. 

DS2 is 3.5. 

We’ve been TTC for 2 years, I guess?  6 miscarriages at different points.

**************End Trigger*********************

We didn’t go for IUI because of my age (I’m 38) and straight for IVF. Did a cycle in the fall that didn’t go well. No embryos as a result. We are changing protocol and giving it another go. I’m OOP so this may be our last try. I’ve been dealing with fertility and such for 8.5 years now. 

Start Lupron this weekend, I hope. And we shall see from there! 

• So I start stims today!!! Excited and nervous! Mostly excited though! Is anyone else starting stims yet?
  • @mom2be_sarah so exciting!  I start sims tomorrow!  I have my baseline tests first thing in the morning and will start stims later that night.  

• prudence9-2prudence9-2 member
    edited February 2018
    @josiepasta my box arrived over the weekend. Definitely make it feel real!

@moly416 glad that WTF appt went well. Minor tweaks after a failed cycle always give me some hope for a different and better outcome!

@Happyin14 welcome! Sorry for your loss! I hope this cycle will work out for you! I’m also all oop...

@mom2be_sarah I start a week from today! That’s when I have the baseline appt. and good luck on your injection training tomorrow. I was terrified before my first injection and had a needle phobia. And now I’m a pro. Haha. 
    TTC history in spoiler box:
    Me: 42, single
    Hysteroscopy: 2013
    IUI #1-2: 2013 BFN
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    IUI  #3-5 (with Clomid): summer 2016 BFN
    IVF #1: 11/2016. 30R; 21M; 20F; 8B (6 day5 & 2 day6); 4 normal after PGS
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.
    Medicated FET #2June 2017 - cancelled...
    Hysteroscopy #2: June 2017
    Medicated FET #2: 8/7/2017 transferred 1 embryo 5BB. BFP. Ended in CP.
    Medicated FET #3: 10/11/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFN
    ERA: December 2017 - need an extra 12 hours of PIO
    Medicated FET #4: 1/24/2018 transferred 1 embryo 4AA. BFN
    Out of embryos.  :'(
    IVF #2: 03/2018.

• Hey everyone! My baseline tests went well this morning and I was given the go-ahead to start stims.  I just took my first shots a few minutes ago - Gonal-f and Menopur.  Besides trying to keep all the mixing steps straight and different needles correct, it wasn’t too bad.  Menopur burns a little when injecting it, but i was expecting that.  I’m sure by the end of this cycle I’ll feel like a pro.

Good luck to everyone else starting stims soon!!

• @josiepasta oh yeah, I remember that Menopur burns a little bit... I'm few days behind you, my baseline in on Thurs! Today is my last BCP....

Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.

• Hi Ladies! I'm 37, this is my first round of ivf. I am scheduled for the endo biopsy on Thursday. Eek I'm a little nervous..how bad is this?? I have my baseline scan the following week and then will start my stims. Any runners here? Wondering what your experiences have been - are you taking time off during your cycle or just while you're stimming? 
  • josiepasta sorry jumping in here ladies! What does the low carb diet have to do with OHSS? Just asking since I'm a week out and my ass totally at some carbs. 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Hey ladies! Just checking in! Today is day 5 of stims. So far it hasn't been too bad but I think I am lucky because my protocol is pretty light since we are MFI. Have just been doing Gonal-f up until today and then add in Menopur tomorrow. I have my first monitoring appointment in about an hour so hopefully will get some kind of an update on how I am doing and what the rest of the week is going to look like. No terrible side effects other than slight headaches in the morning and last night I got up to pee like 5x. It was terrible haha.
  • @mom2be_sarah glad so far it’s not too bad! Good luck at the appt today. My baseline is on Thurs!

• TruStoryTruStory member
    edited February 2018
    I'm set to start 3/5! Im already on BCP, and my meds are to be delivered tomorrow. I am super excited, and anxious...nervous, all of the above. This is also my first round of IVF, so I don't really know what to expect.
    TTC #1
    Endo Stage IV
    Lap 9/11/2009
    IUI 1st Cycle Canceled
    IUI 2nd Cycle Failed
    New RE: RMACT
    BCP 2/6/2018
    Hysteroscopy to remove polyps 2/16/2018
    IVF #1 3/5/2018- Menopur + Follistim + Ganirelix, HCG + Lupron Trigger
    ER- 3/18/2018- 11 retrieved, 9 mature, 4 made it to blast. 
    PGS- 3 normal
    FET #1- 4/25/2018
    WE ARE PREGNANT!! Due 1/11/2019
  • @Happyin14 hello! It's been awhile so you may not remember me, but we were on the loss board together. I usually just stalk these boards because I'm terrible at keeping up and contributing the way I should. But I had to say hi! Hoping we both have some luck at this!
  • @mrsnygI'll be just a few days ahead of you with infections starting 3/5 and ER somewhere around 3/16
    TTC #1
    Endo Stage IV
    Lap 9/11/2009
    IUI 1st Cycle Canceled
    IUI 2nd Cycle Failed
    New RE: RMACT
    BCP 2/6/2018
    Hysteroscopy to remove polyps 2/16/2018
    IVF #1 3/5/2018- Menopur + Follistim + Ganirelix, HCG + Lupron Trigger
    ER- 3/18/2018- 11 retrieved, 9 mature, 4 made it to blast. 
    PGS- 3 normal
    FET #1- 4/25/2018
    WE ARE PREGNANT!! Due 1/11/2019
  • Hello Ladies! I finally had my IVF consult today.  Had an HSG done, bloodwork, paperwork, consents, med teaching, etc.  RE is starting me on the "New Lupron" protocol.  My protocol will consist of Lupron, Follitism or Gonal, and Menopur.  Official tentative stim start date is 3/10
    TTC 5+ years--> unexplained infertility
    5 IUI Cycles-BFN
    IVF Fresh Transfer 03/2018, Blighted Ovum D&C 4/2018
    FET #1 Scheduled 8/7 ☺️

• @mcgeeva Unfortunately I do not know the science behind it, but pretty much all of the blogs I've read (I've read about 10 or so) mention that right after egg retrieval, they go on a low carb/high protein diet to help avoid OHSS.  Some blogs even said their RE or nurse requested that they do so.  Don't feel bad!  I just ate a ton of pasta last night since my cousin was in town and we went to an Italian restaurant.  I think it's OK during stims.

@TruStory So excited for you!  It's my first IVF cycle too, and I went into it all excited but nervous too.  I like to give myself a mental high-five after each round of shots :) 

AFM, I'm on day 4 of stims and had my first follow-up appointment this morning.  They only saw 2 little follicles so far, but they said that was normal since it is still so early.  I'm staying with my current doses - 150 of Gonal-F and 150 of Menopur, and follow up again on Wednesday morning.  So far, I don't have any side effects, but I did get headaches almost daily when they put me back on BCP a few weeks ago.  I'm glad that's over!  I also started "AF" yesterday after stopping the BCP last week, which they said was normal.

• @nic_pan I've done a lot of endometrial biopsies. The trick is to take ibuprofen/tylenol an hour before your appointment. I do half a dose of each and combine them. It doesn't completely take away the pain but it's better than nothing!
    History in Spoiler
    FET#1 June 2018

• @moly416 Thanks for your reply! I will definitely try that!!
  • Hi All! I am on day 11 of stims on my second IVF cycle. Retrieval date was set for 3/1/18, but I'm responding super duper slow this time so it is a day by day process now. Currently waiting for today's blood test results but we are following the same protocol we used for IVF#1 - 300 Follistim, 300 Menapur and as of Saturday the Ganirelix. We triggered on day 11 of IVF#1 so I am bummed that it is being kicked out this cycle. I'm kind of over the injections as I'm running out of non-bruised space on my lower abdomen (it's not terrible just annoying) . However, I know that slow and steady the route we have chosen and the RE is pretty pleased with how it's going. I guess IVF cycles are like pregnancies; no two are alike.
  • Hey ladies! Just an update. I had 7 follicles yesterday. Originally the doctors were worries about OHSS but don't seem to be worried anymore so they told me not to drop my dosage. I start the menopur today. I have another appointment tomorrow where they will see if how the progress is coming along. Originally we were shooting for 3/5 ER but I am thinking if I am responding slower than they would like, it will be pushed out a few more days. Whatever needs to be done to get the best results I guess. I am not really looking forward to the Menopur shots because I hear they burn but hopefully I won't have to do them for too long! 

I hope everyone is doing well so far. We are on our way ladies!! This is happening!! :)
  • mcgeevamcgeeva member
    edited February 2018
    mom2be_sarah can I ask why they were worried about OHSS? I am on CD 7 and have 29 follies now so they are cutting my meds back tonight and I need to go back in tomorrow. I guess I will need to ask about this. Also, Menopur totally burns going in!

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Just an update, we had some blood work re-done and apparently my AMH has dropped rather drastically to 0.6 ng/mL. It was 2.8 ng/mL just last year. I'm not sure what happened! 
    History in Spoiler
    FET#1 June 2018

• Another day, another blood test and ultrasound! It was a mixed bag of sorts. Yesterday's levels were good and the RE wanted to see me this morning to check out the follies.  Yesterday's scan showed 10 but only 2 were the right size. She saw 4 with a possible 5th that looked to be ready. The other 5 are still too small. Depending on today's blood work and tomorrow's scan/blood work we are going to trigger 2/28 and retrieve 3/2 . The rational being its better to take the 4/5 before they get too big and we lose them while we are waiting for the other 5 to catch up. Birds, hand, bush... you get the picture.

**Update** As I was writing this, RE office called and told me we are good to go for 3/2 retrieval. However, she gave me my E2 level and now I've gone down a rabbit hole of researching and comparing my levels to others. ** 
  • Good luck to all that are stimming and those who are expecting an ER soon!!
  • I am planning on doing a fresh transfer so if I overstimulate then I won't be able to do it. Definitely ask about OHSS. It usually happens when you retrieve a ton of eggs. I am no expert by any means but we are doing IVF due to male factor so they wanted to make sure I wasn't overstimulating. It can't hurt to ask!
  • mom2be_sarah Gotcha that makes sense. I'm doing a fet so I guess it changes some although I already have some fluid building up in my lining. Well they had to cut my dose today bc my estrogen shot up and I have 29 follies on cd 7. 

• Hi Ladies- I'm on day 6 of stims of my first IVF.  I originally started on 150 Follistim and 75 Menopur.  But my day 3 scan showed some lagging, and my estrogen was low (94).  So they upped my Follistim to 225.  Went back today- 7 follies on the left (4-10mm, 1-8mm, 1-12mm, 1-15mm) , 5 on the right (2-7mm, 2-5mm, 1- 6mm) there might be a few more, but my right ovary plays hide and seek with the ultrasound, it almost hides behind my uterus, so it's harder to see this one very clearly. And my estrogen was up to 400 today!! 
    I'm thinking my retrieval will be Monday or Tuesday. Should I be concerned that the ones on the right might not be mature, or if we let the ones on the right mature, the ones on the left will be over cooked?
    Me 33, DH 39
    Poor Ovulation & MFI (very low for all counts)
    TTC #1 12/2006.
    Clomid for ovulation- 10/2007 & 11/2007- no effect- Told we'd never conceive naturally.
    Natural BFP- 10/2008, Miracle Boy born 6/18/2009

TTC #2- Since 6/2011
    1st RE apt- 2/2014
    TTC put on back burner 6/2014-1/2016
    Diagnosed w/ Thyroid Cancer- 3/2016, Radiation 9/2016 (no ttc x 1 yr)
    Resume RE- 9/2017- Myomectomy 6 Fibroids- 12/2017
    IVF w/ICSI #1- 8r,5m,5f, Transferred 1 5d blast, 0 made freeze. Bets #1-8dp= 7 :(

• stephanienj  I'm sure they will catch up! Are you taking Genirelix? I have no clue the size of my follies but I have a ton. But I'm sure they will still sprout up a ton more in the next few days. 

• @stephanienj it sounds like you are progressing nicely!  ER will be here before you know it!

AFM, Today is my day 6 of stims.  At my follow-up this morning, they found 4 follicles total (2 on each ovary), all of them are between 11-12mm.  The nurse said they were all aligned perfectly straight, which is good.  My Estradiol is up to 728.  I think my RE is taking it slow and steady with me, as she also has me on a small dose of Metformin to prevent overstimulating (even though I don't have PCOS).  She upped my doses for the next two days from 150 to 225 Gonal-F, kept me at the same 150 of Menopur, and added a third shot of 250mg of Ganirelix.  My guess is that I'll be doing my ER sometime towards the end of next week.

• @mcgeeva , I'm on 5 units of Lupron in the AM to prevent ovulation.  Your follie count is Amazing!
    @josiepasta - Your estradiol level is great and your follies sound like they are all progressing nicely together.

Dust and luck to you ladies as well, and thanks for the support and words of encouragement! 

I trust my RE, very much....but I can't help but ride this roller coaster of emotion.  A few days ago, I was upbeat and optimistic, in my mind it was going to work on the first shot. Today, I'm Debbie downer with thoughts of failure thrown in, thinking nothing but doom and negativity.  

I was handling this IVF thing so well until today.  But with this being my 1st round, I'm so full of doubt now, and the uncertainty of not knowing exactly what will happen is killing me (i'm serious type a personality, and like to know every detail, plan, list, and i'll say it again...know every detail, lol)

I think today I'm in need of some retail therapy, and should go shopping after dinner :) 
    Friday I have a nice session booked with my chiropractor, followed by 1 hour with the massage therapist, hoping that will relax and soothe some of this stress away.

Me 33, DH 39
    TTC #1 12/2006.
    Clomid for ovulation- 10/2007 & 11/2007- no effect- Told we'd never conceive naturally.

TTC #2- Since 6/2011
    1st RE apt- 2/2014
    IVF w/ICSI #1- 8r,5m,5f, Transferred 1 5d blast, 0 made freeze. Bets #1-8dp= 7 :(

• @stephanienj I agree with @mcgeeva - They will definitely catch up! You have few more days of stims and I bet you'll see some more growth! 

Final ultrasound today and trigger tonight at 11:55 pm! ER on Friday at 11:00 am. Before my trigger shot we are doing a boost of 75ml of Follistim and 75ml of Menapur to see if that helps any of the stragglers.  Right now there 5 follies ready to go and 4 on the cusp. 
  • @frenchiemom80 , thank you!  I guess I was mostly freaking out because there's such a big difference in the sizes from the left to the right. And My Estradiol level seemed to be low (when comparing to others), but based on an article I just read about estrogen, now that my stims dose is higher, and my estrogen is doubling everyday, that would put me on target to trigger Saturday night for retrieval on Monday as originally planned. I just need to stop putting so much though and comparison into everything :)   Good Luck to you on your retrieval Friday- hopefully those last 4 will come around with the extra boost!
    Me 33, DH 39
    TTC #1 12/2006.

TTC #2- Since 6/2011
    1st RE apt- 2/2014