Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Missed miscarriage, subsequent medically managed miscarriage, and AF's return?

Hello, 

First and foremost, to everyone on this board, my deepest sympathies go out for your losses. I lost my first pregnancy,  at 40, the day after Christmas. 

I had a medically managed miscarriage at 9.5 weeks, when my HCG levels weren't moving as they should and my little bean measured at 6 weeks. It was absolutely brutal,  physically and emotionally, and all I can do is continue to look ahead with some semblance of hope. 

That being said,  I'm almost 4 weeks out from the miscarriage and 3 weeks from the actual ending of the spotting. I'm wondering if there are others who had this experience, and when I should start expecting AF's arrival again.  My doctor said 4-6 weeks, but I did have some thin CM about one week ago. It was nowhere near what it normally is around my ovulation time, but it did give me some hope. 

Fingers crossed....

Re: Missed miscarriage, subsequent medically managed miscarriage, and AF's return?

• I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't have much to add, because this time I'm not past the inital stages. Just wanted to send condolences and best wishes for your next try.
  • yankeebelle77 I've never had pills for my MCs, but I have had D&C and natural MCs. Your doctor's estimate of 4-6 weeks is correct; however, it can also take months for your cycle to 'regulate' back out again. Additionally, your new 'normal' may not be your pre-MC 'normal.' Did they track your hcg down to 0? It can sometimes take 4-6 weeks AFTER your hcg gets to 0 for you to get AF. Unfortunately, the only normal thing after MC is that there is no normal. I'm sorry for your loss.

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Loading the player...
  • So sorry for your loss.
    I tried the pills but that didn't work unfortunately, but at the time I remember the nurse saying that it would be about 4-6 weeks. That being said they were going to do a blood test the following week to see how fast my hcg was going down. I suppose the slower it does the longer it will take for AF. 
  • Nothing ever seems to be standard when it comes to mc. I got af immediately after the spotting ended from my d&c. In my case, I had a natural incomplete miscarriage before that, so Af arrived 27 days after the first day of the natural mc. Interstingly enough I had a blood draw the same day and my hcg was still 68.
  • @yankeebelle77 I lost my first pregnancy in January, so I can totally relate to what you're going through. I did have a D&C, though. I'm with you as far as hating the waiting game and being unsure when things are happening- as I'm ready to TTC again. I had a 4-day flow about 17 days after my D&C and the doctor said it could be AF, but she wasn't sure. I'm not really sure how to track my ovulation with not knowing if I had AF or not, and not knowing how long the next cycle will be.

Keep me posted with how everything goes! I'm going to follow this thread to see what others experienced!
  • Update: AF arrived 4 weeks after my last day of significant spotting from my medically - managed miscarriage. I've had 3 normal cycles since, right around my typical 25 days. We've tried every month, but no news yet. I'll keep you posted and continue to keep you all in my prayers of comfort.