September 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight 2/12: Baby Wearing

SkilledSailorSkilledSailor member
edited February 2018 in September 2018 Moms

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... baby carriers

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed. httpsforumsthebumpcomresourcesemojismilepng 

For S+TMs: 

• Favorite [baby carrier brand]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [baby carrier] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [baby carrier]?:

For FTMs

• [Baby carrier] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Re: Product Spotlight 2/12: Baby Wearing

• I'm very interested in the Lillebaby.. I know several friends that have one.. and have carried their little ones around in it. I found it to be very comfortable.

Here is the link to the one that I have on my registry: https://www.lillebaby.com/baby-carriers/completetm/airflow/complete-airflow-donuts-and-sprinkles.html  

The cost is expensive at $135... but the friends that do have this carrier do not own a stroller. They specifically carry the child around in this. 

Have an S+TM had this brand of carrier or a structural carrier that could offer some additional insight? 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• I have a Lillebaby! We used the K'Tan when my son was about 0-3m old, then we switched to the Lillebaby. I think it was very comfortable for my son, we used it very regularly until he was about 10 months old. It is also pretty easy to put on and my husband found it super easy to use too - he used it at least as much and maybe even more than I did. However, I never found it as comfortable as I wanted it to be - it felt like it just didn't fit my body right. This totally might be because my husband and I took turns using it, so it may not have always been perfected adjusted for my body. I'm sure my husband will love using it again with baby #2, but I might want to get a carrier that is ONLY for me so that I don't have to adjust it each time.
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018

• Loading the player...
  • I really want to get a wrap-style carrier to try with this baby. I have a K'Tan and Lillebaby, but I need to splurge on something for this baby! I'm leaning towards a Solly, but would love to hear other suggestions. Also, should I consider a ring sling? Or can you use the wrap style for longer?
    Engaged 12/2013
    Married 5/2015
    BFP 11/27/2015 - EDD 8/4/2016
    <3 Baby Boy born 8/13/2016 ~ 8lbs 7oz  <3
    BFP 1/6/2018 - EDD 9/19/2018

• Favorite [baby carrier brand]: Tula
    • Link/picture: www.babytula.com
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): they range a lot. If you buy them on the bst pages you can get them under $100 (usually used), but the fancy ones can be $1,000 or more. Most are about $135-$160 for standard ones.
    • What you like about it: It has magic sleepy dust. We tried the Ergo with an infant insert (and without) and a boba wrap. The Tula is more comfortable for me and cooler (we live in warm temps year round). DD never napped in the other carriers and now it is so easy to strap on and go, and she will often nap in it.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: nothing
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I May get a tula ring sling or ftg (free to grow) carrier since those can be used from birth. Right now I have a standard coast (mesh so it’s cooler) but I would need an infant insert at first. I may just use my old carriers for a few months.
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: I was so excited about the Ergo but it just wasn’t love. I thought the Boba was too hard to get my daughter into unless I loosened it a lot, but then it would be too loose to carry her in.
    • Additional thoughts on [maternity clothes]?: I bought a bunch of maternity tees from Target that I never stopped wearing afterwards because they are so easy to pull down and nurse with (not specifically nursing tees). Also get  yourself some nice nursing bras... they’re worth it.
  • @yogapants247. As far as wraps for me, right now I have two mobys I found inexpensively - I believe they were both on clearance from cloth diaper websites, or on ebay, for under $30.  They are just an entry level, "starter wrap," and I believe they have a little more stretch, and are more of a heavy jersey type material than the bobas, which give a little less, and are more of a sweatshirt type material, at least is my understanding.  Maybe someone who has both, or has the boba, can also weigh in to compare.

I also heard that they can run hot, so I got the solly as well, and I have two of those.  The material is very soft and also stretchy, bit lighter weight, more like a tee shirt material.  More important maybe to keep a summer baby cool, but if it's fall and throwing on a fall jacket or a cardigan over, I personally feel like it will be nice to be able to choose between the warmer Moby perhaps around the house, and the cooler solly for layering.  Idk.

Neither one though is really recommended for carrying a heavy toddler, so these would be good for brand new baby, winter/spring infant as well, but at some point to be able to continue wrapping, a woven is recommended.  You could always continue to research and wear baby in whatever you get to start, and determine what your prefences would be for a woven / toddler wrap when the time comes, as the wovens are generally pricier, too, and I personally would rather invest in something I have a pretty good idea I'm going to like and want to keep, vs. not actually be crazy about for whatever reason and want to resell right away.  Just my two cents as a FTM with already a decent little stash started! lol
  • spottedgingerspottedginger member
    edited February 2018
    I loved my k’tan when DS was a little baby and even used it a few times when he was a bit bigger (through 7 month months or so). Then I transitioned to the Lille baby airflow. It was amazing for bigger baby and toddler stage. There was a thanksgiving trip to the in laws ~11 months old during which he would only sleep strapped to me in the lillebaby while I was walking or bouncing. Both of them are lifesavers. I chose the k’tan rather than a wrap because of its versatility and ease of use. About 75% of my friends who had traditional wraps said that they never or rarely used them because of complexity getting the wrap and then insecurity about whether they “did it right”. 
    • Favorite [baby carrier brand]: I really liked the structure of my ergo, and I also have a baby ka'tan.
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Ergo was shower gift with the infant insert I think they are $$$. The Ka-tan was maybe 75$ and then I used a 20% BBB coupon. 
    • What you like about it: I mainly used the ergo, and I really like the structure of it and that DD felt secure. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The material was heavy so in marmer times I felt she got warm in it. I also felt the hassle is getting her into the infant insert and then into the ergo was a bit much. I used it much more once DD was bigger. DD was a January baby so I felt like I spent too much time in the freezing outside my car trying to get her into it.
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I need to research. I want something really easy to get baby in and out of but that also has structure. With a 2 year old running around, I think baby wearing is going to be much more necessary. 
    • Additional thoughts on [maternity clothes]?: Nada yet. I gave my sister my maternity clothing a while back. She's due this month. I'll take stock once she gives it all back and adds in what she bought. 
  • knitknitreadknitknitread member
    edited February 2018
    Umm, I have multiple favorite woven wrap brands. Didymos is my go to recommendation for new wrappers simply because of the cost and the variety. My absolute favorite is Didymos Cleo. It has stripes which can really help you while learning how to tighten. It is thin but very sturdy.
    • Link/picture:
    This is out of Canada but they also have cheap shipping to the US:

https://www.birdiesroom.com/33-babywearing-wraps

And this is one of my favorite US retailers who carries more brands than Didymos:

https://www.purpleelmbaby.com/collections/woven-wrap-baby-carriers
    Didymos tends to range from $100 to $300. $150 is pretty average for a size 6.
    So, what I like about woven wraps in general is the varied ways they can be used. You are not stuck with one use. I also found them much easier to adjust than soft structure carriers.
    I don't really have any complaints. There is a bit of a learning curve but that can be expected with anything.
    I got to try a lot of variety with DD. So, this time I'm just going to have a few wovens.
    I hesitate to answer this because it all comes down to personal preference. What works best for one body type my not work for another.

Personally, I have a hard time finding SSCs that work for my body type. I have narrow, sloping shoulders and it just felt like I was constantly having to try to keep the straps from sliding off.

I was also not a fan of stretchy wraps like Moby. They aren't usable for very long, they are hard to adjust, and they just bugged me.
    • Additonal thoughts about baby carrier]?:
    I really enjoy wovens. I like that they are so easily adaptable. Of all the types of carriers that I tried, they had the best staying power. You can easily use the same wrap from birth to the end of your Wearing days. (And they aren't going to just not fit you. You may have some carries that are more comfortable than others)

My biggest advice for buying a wrap is to get something you are drawn to because you are more likely to push through the learning curve.

Oh and as always, check to see if you have a Babywearing International chapter in your area. They will have educators and a variety of carriers for you to try. You can start attending meetings now and try carriers with their weighted dolls. It's a really great resource if you have a chapter in your area.

ETA photo, same carrier used in three different types of carry (back, hip, and front).

And obligatory disclaimer, this picture features a WOVEN wrap. They are made to be tightened AFTER you have placed baby in the carrier. This allows for back carries.

DO NOT attempt a back carry with a stretchy knit wrap like a Moby. Carriers like Moby are made to be tightened before the baby is placed in the carrier. You cannot tighten them with after the fact and it will not be tight enough to keep the Wrapee in place.

• jhjocelynjhjocelyn member
    edited February 2018
    • Favorite [baby carrier brand]: I have limited experience, I did my research and bought a beco gemini, but not until dd was too old for front carry. ...dh didn’t want to spend the $$ since we had been given an infantino front carrier...which I ised but hated. 
    • Link/picture: 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I got mine on sale for $99. 
    • What you like about it: This style can do all the carries! Front-facing in or out, side/hip, and back. And it holds up to 35lbs I believe. Which, babies run small in our family, so dd just technically outgrew it at 4 yrs old... 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Not sure, it’s been a while. It was easy to use and dh liked it as well. I’m curious how it will be w a newborn. 
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: nope. I’m not a huge carrier, but that may change w having to keep up w dd! 
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Infantino had a fromt carrier for little ones, I could never get the clips undone! 
    • Edited to add pic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

For my first, I used a homemade-Moby when he was a newborn, switched to a ring sling when he was able to hold his head up reliably, and then started using a Lillebaby soon after for times when my husband was around because it's harder to put DS in there by myself.
    Homemade moby -- $
    Ring Sling -- $$
    Lillebaby -- $$$
    As someone else pointed out, we didn't mind spending more money on carriers because we don't have a stroller. After a trip to Mexico this past weekend, I'm more committed than ever to this method because it was so incredibly versatile. I wore DS for his naps but when I was uncomfortable, DH wore him quite a bit too.
    The "moby" was nice because it gave a lot of support with a newborn and kept him warm (he was born during a blizzard). Also, it kept people from wanting to hold him during flu season. He never got sick as a newborn.
    The ring sling was wonderful because I could put him in by myself. If he was fussy when I was at home, I could pop him in and out very quickly. The moby took a lot of work every time so I would just wear it even when he wasn't in it but that meant it stretched out throughout the day and I would have to redo it a couple times. The RS was perfect for when I ran errands by myself. Now, at 13 months, DS is heavy and it puts some strain on my shoulder if I have to wear it for long but for quick errands I still grab it.
    The Lillebaby is great for longer hikes. DH and I are similar in size so that isn't an issue. It's super easy to put DS in (if we help each other) and it has a lot of hip support. The weight is carried on the hip band, not the shoulder, like a hiking backpack. Also, the cover means that if he falls asleep, we can put that up and it keeps him from startling as often.
    Moby -- too stretchy to use when the baby gets heavier. Hot. Hard to use on and off throughout the day.
    RS -- strain on my shoulders when DS got bigger
    Lillebaby -- hard, but not impossible, to use when I'm by myself.
    A woven wrap or a silk RS. No need but they look beautiful and could be fun to try.
    Anything that doesn't have the hip support. I did a lot of research to make sure anything I got would not be strappy but would have the wide waist with extra support.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Tula (Ring Sling, Woven Wrap or the Free to Grow carrier)
    • Solly (Perfect for newborns)
    • Wild Bird (This is new to me, I have a RS in the box waiting for baby #3)
    • Lenny Lamb (Their Soft Structured Carriers are incredible, as are the woven wraps and slings.

Link/picture: 
    • Here is one of my favorite Tula Ring Slings -- great for all size babies!
    •  

• And a Solly Wrap is amazing for newborn squishes!

• Lenny Lamb:

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
    • Tula & Lenny Lamb are $$-$$$
    • Solly is $
    • Wild Bird is $-$$

What you like about it:
    Tula offers some truly gorgeous canvas prints and woven carriers, that are great for all skill levels. The company also makes blankets that are ridiculously soft, bath towels, bags and backpacks! 

Lenny Lamb is very similar to Tula in terms of the variety of products, however ALL Lenny Lamb carriers are made out of woven wrap fabric. This makes the Lenny Lamb carriers insanely soft and easy to break in. They offer two different size SSC's, wraps, ring slings, mai tais, wrap tais and blankets. 

Solly is the perfect stretchy wrap for Newborns. The fabric is lightweight and breathable (opposite of Moby). There is a slight learning curve, but Solly has made some great video tutorials available + they have a babywearing educator who can easily help you out!

Wild Bird is new to me, but I really love their fabrics and structure of the carriers.

What you don't like about it, if anything:
    A standard tula is NOT ideal unless you have a 9+ month old. If you want a SSC (Soft Structured Carrier) you want the Free to Grow as you can use it from Day 1 of your newborn squish, up to Toddlerhood.

Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
    Nope! I've tried about two dozen different carriers, the ones I shared above are my hands down favorites.

Is there a [baby carrier] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
    I hate Beco's. They are uncomfortable and kind of frustrating to use.

Additional thoughts on BABWEARING ?:

This is probably one of my favorite topics.  <3  I'm very passionate about babywearing and really enjoy helping others find carriers that are perfect for them! My blog is insanely out dated because momming 2 kids and moving to a new state is hard, but I have a few write ups on baby carriers and whatnot here
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• I have an Infantino Mei Tei (https://infantino.com/products/sash) and a Lillebaby Complete Original (https://www.lillebaby.com/baby-carriers/completetm/original/lillebabyr-completetm-original-stone.html).

I got the Mei Tei off Amazon for $35 and used it for the first few months while DS was little. I upgraded to the Lillebaby which I got off Amazon for $120 (only $84 on the Lillebaby site right now) once he was bigger and could support his own head more.

So far there has been nothing I didn't like about either. I tried a K'tan before the Mei Tei and hated it. It felt like it was too tight, but the next size up was way too big to be used safely. It took a couple tries of putting it on before I was completely comfortable doing it, but I found it easy enough to use that I could get DS up in the carrier in the middle of a parking lot no problem.

I also find the Lillebaby to be easy to use. Getting it adjusted right the first time I used it took some time, but after that it's so quick to snap on. I even used it this past Christmas when DS was 15 months for Christmas Tree shopping and he was still comfortable to carry in it.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • @smsaulino I also have got a lillebaby before DS2 and used it all the time! I have the complete airflow and like that it can be used without an infant insert and can be used for 6 different carries. I live in Florida too so it stayed nice and cool. DS liked it and would always fall asleep. 

I havent found a wrap wrap I like because I always feel like it takes too long to get baby into...I have been a fan of the more structured carries. I am interested in trying a ring sling this go around though. 

I think lillebaby is having a sale right now too! 
  • @ktsmomx3 we live in hot Houston.. the baby will be not only born during the hottest time of year, but also hurricane season and it's one of the many reasons I'm very interested in the complete airflow. Lillebaby is having a sale right now!! The carrier that I'm really wanting is marked down to $94, from $135. Told DH last night and he is convinced there will be a bigger sale before baby gets here. I was like.. "I'm sorry but I believe that $40 off is a huge sale." 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• This thread is super helpful! Thank you all!

I live in New York. Would I need something different for winter or would most carriers accommodate a baby bulked up in winter clothes?

• @smsaulino - Other than final sale clearance items, I don't think I've ever seen a bigger sale for Lillebaby. Maybe if you found them at 3rd party retailers and had a huge coupon, but 30% is the best discount I've ever seen on them. Except for maybe Zulily which I have a hard time buying stuff from because the no returns makes me nervous.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • @adirat Just my two cents, but a baby in a carrier creates quite a bit of warmth without anything extra. I used fleece when going outside and then pulled my coat around DS's legs. But that was when he was a newborn, I wouldn't stay outside very long mostly because of his face. Now that he's bigger, we haven't had any trouble fitting him in the carrier. The lillebaby is pretty easy to adjust so you can always loosen it a bit if you need to. DS is super warm blooded though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ooh, I'm excited for this thread! I hadn't noticed it was here because I was only scanning for those little yellow unread boxes.  :D

I've spent a LOT of hours and brain power on babywearing information. Some would say too much. LOL

First of all, I did not take full advantage of babywearing with my daughter, and I plan to change some of that this time. I think it will partly be a necessity with some different life circumstances, but it also took me FOREVER to get into any sort of groove as a new mom. I felt like every single routine I had was totally thrown out the window, and I didn't have many solid routines to begin with. I need to find a way to continue as close as possible to what's working for us now even with an infant, and babywearing makes so much sense for helping get things done.

There's a ton of info out there on types of carriers and how to use them, so don't be afraid to do some research. Find something that works for *you*. Facebook is an awesome resource for buying and learning.

I'm just going to make this multiple posts so I can separate info more easily. Before I do, though, here's what I plan to have in my babywearing stack for this little one, although some details might change:

* Baby K'tan
    * Torso-carry wrap (kitenge that my mom got me in Africa)
    * Size 2 woven (cotton, machine-woven Pretty Paisley)
    * Size 4 woven (cotton/silk blend, Sling Studios)
    * Size 6 woven (cotton, Ellevill Jade, really a 7 but it wraps short)
    * Ring sling (cotton, Girasol, with fringe - and it's a rainbow for this rainbow baby)
    * Baby-size SSC (DIY, apron-style similar to a Connecta, made from another kitenge + linen canvas)
    * Baby-size meh dai (DIY from a Cari Slings wrap)

* Toddler-size half-buckle - meh dai with buckle waist (DIY from a Kokoskaa Tencel-blend wrap)
    * Toddler-size SSC (Kinderpack)
    * Probably a preschool-size buckle onbuhimo, because I want one for a trip we're taking this summer (DIY)
    * Possibly a nyia, because I might have some extra fabric
    * Possibly another ring sling, if I like them. Will keep one in the diaper bag and one at home if so.

We don't really wear much right now, although my 3 year old wants up at the grocery store sometimes. I generally use the Kinderpack with her because I keep it in the car and it's quick for when she only wants up for a very short time.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • knitknitreadknitknitread member
    edited February 2018
    @treeofcheem I LOVED my Sling Studio wrap when I had one. Their all cotton is so kitten belly soft ❤

I didn't get to try any of their silk blends though. I hear they are lovely. 

ETA- I also had an Ellevill at one point. Very grippy and fun to wrap with! I could never get used to the tapers though.
  • @adirat they have babywearing hoodies that go around you and the carrier... my friends who live in colder climates really like them! Also what was said above is true... body warmth helps a lot!
  • @adirat I think you can also get coat extenders if you want to cover up baby in a carrier or just for pregnant women. 
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• starla said:
    @adirat I think you can also get coat extenders if you want to cover up baby in a carrier or just for pregnant women. 
    Those coat extenders work really well for front carries!

I ended up having a larger coat that I zipped as much as I could, wrapped an extra scarf around DD, and made sure all of her limbs were cozy.
  • Thanks for the info about winter wearing! Much appreciated. 

• My favorite type of carrier, what I would use if I only had one, is a meh dai (also called a bei dai, used to be called mei tai but that's a less accurate pronunciation so it's generally been changed in sensitivity to the original language).

This is one of the types of East Asian style babycarriers. A meh dai is basically a rectangle of fabric with a strap at each corner - the two bottom ones tie around your waist, and the top 2 go over your shoulders then around baby to secure him/her. There are narrower, flat strap versions, and there are also wide straps, either plain or padded at the top of the shoulders, usually made of wrap fabric.
    • Favorite [baby carrier brand]: I really like wrap conversions with padded-to-wrap straps, but I had a "traditional" narrower strap one to begin with and really, really liked it (it was the out-of-business brand Mei Tai Baby). Infantino is very cheap and easy to find. Other brands include Babyhawk, Lenny Lamb, Soul Slings, Fidella, and more.
    • Link/picture: https://5mr.com/collections/meh-dai has a lot of examples. This is the Infantino:

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $35-$300
    • What you like about it: It's comfortable, easy to use (although it can take a few tries to get the muscle memory for it), can be worn front or back, more versatile than a SSC for sharing between wearers, folds up small, can be really pretty, and you can nurse in it. Also works with even tiny babies
      They're not as versatile as a wrap, and your LO will grow out of it. If you babywear into the toddler years, you'll likely need to size up, although they can fit for a large time range. The Infantino in particular I've heard can get less comfortable with an older baby. Some really nice versions are very, very expensive. It could probably be pre-tied but would be a little tricky.
    • Is there one you don't have but are considering? Why?: If I saw an Oscha Coorie pop up for a super duper cheap price I'd grab it! But they're way out of my price range. I'm planning to sew another one
    • Is there one you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
    • Additional thoughts?: Onbuhimos are another Asian style baby carrier, and they have the same type of rectangular panel but only a set of straps at the top corners. The bottom corners traditionally have rings, and the straps thread through sort of like a backpack and then get tied various ways. They're almost always used for back carrying. There are also versions that use buckles and more padded straps instead of rings (like an SSC without a waistbelt), and versions that have padded straps with rings at the top and longer straps at the bottom (reverse onbuhimo). I don't have much experience with these. I had a reverse that didn't fit us very well so I moved it on pretty quickly. I want to try a buckle version with my 3 year old for our trip this summer. They can't be used with newborns, but many people like them for quick and easy carriers for older children. They put all the weight on your shoulders, though, so a lot of people don't like them at all. They can be a little tricky to get fit and positioned just right, and the most padded versions are typically pretty pricey ($150-$350+).

The other main type is a podaegi. A Hmong carrier or nyia is similar so I'm grouping them together. Both are typically used for back carries. A podaegi is a Korean carrier that's basically a long blanket with a strap at the top; the whole thing gets wrapped around you and LO and then the straps tie everything in place. A nyia is similar in that it has a strap across the top, but the "blanket" is a much narrower panel. I don't know of any commercially made ones off the top of my head. I did have a nyia for a while and I could easily get a nice, high carry with it. I always had some trouble getting the strap across the right part of my daughter's back, though, and we stopped using it. I might try another one with a smaller child, I think most of the trouble was in getting a heavy, older toddler onto my back and figuring out how to get everything positioned. She was pretty impatient at that point.
      Podaegi:  
      Nyia: 
  • Wraps are my #2 favorite. @knitknitread Cleo is one of my favorite stripes for looks!

There are two main types of wraps, stretchy/knit wraps and wovens. Stretchies are very popular with little babies, but wovens can be used from newborn to preschooler and up.
      I don't have a particular favorite. For wovens, Sling Studios has my favorite in looks but they're very expensive; I only have one because I happened to see someone selling a used one for a super good price and I snagged it. Cari Slings has some nice wraps and can very reasonable (especially used but they have some for $55 in their online shop right now). Didymos has a huge variety of tried and true wraps. Girasol is another good standby. Pavos are higher end but can be found at good prices. Some are very thick and a little tougher to use if you're new to wrapping, though. Used wraps are usually cheaper and often broken in, which makes them softer and floppier and easier to use. If you want to try one, get something medium weight, all cotton. There's tons of info on different brands all around the internet.
      For a stretchy, I've only used a K'tan. They're sometimes hard to figure out the right size, so they don't work for everyone. But they're easy to use, nothing to drag on the ground. Moby, Solly, Boba are all good wrap styles. They can all be pre-tied at home and then the baby put in when you get where you're going.
    • Link/picture:
      Used stretchy wraps can be as cheap as $10; wovens can be found used for $40-50 or up to $1000+ for specialty handwoven ones.
      The same woven wrap can be used for a variety of caregivers and children. It can last from newborn until you're done wearing. There are a ton of different "carries" that let you use the wrap in the way that's most comfortable for you.
      A stretchy wrap is just soft and easy to wear and feels like it must be snuggly for LO.
      Woven have a learning curve. They can get very pricey, and some of the wearers can be kind of snobby about it. Not all, but some.
      Stretchy wraps only work comfortably until around 15-20 lb.
      Woven wraps come in sizes. They are typically size 2-8, sometimes you can find a 9. I don't think I've ever seen a 1, although a ring sling without rings would be about that size. Any wearer can use almost any size wrap, although at the ends of the size spectrum it would get less flexible. The thing that changes is what carries you can do with which size, which is just the different ways you can tie the wrap around you. This changes as your child grows, too. Some people have a variety of sizes to do different types of carries with, some people just stick with one wrap in one size for simplicity. Many people start with their "base" size, which is considered the size you need to do a specific carry called Front Wrap Cross Carry. It's commonly a size 6, although 7 is also very common and can really be anywhere from a 5-8 typically. A base-2 is another size with lot of common carries.
      YouTube has a gazillion tutorials of how to use wraps. Find a resource you like and use it.
  • This thread is so helpful! I know I want to babywear but had not considered or even realized all the options out there. Great to read opinions and reviews from real moms who have put them to the test. 
  • SSCs - these are the most mainstream type of carrier IMO. In my area, it's what I'm most likely to see if I see anyone else babywearing.
      I've tried a few brands but not a ton. There are so many variations out there. My current SSC is a Kinderpack, and they were the first/one of the first to have an adjustable infant size (so the carrier cinches down to let a small baby fit comfortably without an insert). I had a standard Tula first, then tried a toddler Connecta, a Kanga XT, and a toddler Kinderpack. I was happy with any of them, but the Kinderpack fit me better than the Tula. SSCs, because they're sort of adjustable but not as much as a wrap or softer carrier, tend to be like jeans. They fit different bodies differently, and while there are many, many quality carriers, it can take some trial and error to find the best one for you. I prefer carriers that don't require an infant insert; they're an extra expense, extra piece of something to hang onto, extra hassle - but they aren't the end of the world.
    • Link/picture:

$$-$$$
      They're pretty straightforward. There's a strap that buckles around your waist and a set of straps that goes over your shoulders.
      Some carriers let you cross the straps (my preference for front carrying, otherwise the straps always slip off my shoulders and I hate trying to get a chestbelt fastened on my back).
      Some have PFAs, which let you change the length of the padded part of the straps. That can be really helpful if you have two or more people using the carrier who are pretty different in size.
      Some let you adjust in two directions, which just makes it easier to adjust while the carrier is on you.
      Many have hoods, which is great for keeping floppy sleeping heads from rolling all around. My daughter never really slept in the carrier so it wasn't a huge deal for us, but I liked having the option. Hoods attach all different ways, and some create a little pocket when they're stored.
      Some have mesh panels in the center to get a little more airflow to LO, but that's generally not a huge difference in how the wearer will feel.
      They can look pretty plain, which is a plus for some people, a negative for others. Slipcovers can make them more your style.
      They usually do front and back carries, and some do outward facing front carries - which is only useful for a short time period for most people, and some people never need to do it at all. It can be really useful with some babies, though.
      They aren't super customizable in terms of fit. Some waistbands are really bad at pushing down your pants. They load the weight mainly on your pelvis and hips, which is fine for most people but could cause issues for some. It can be bulky to carry around. It can be hard to get a good fit in a front carry by yourself if the straps tend to slip on you.
      I'll probably do a Connecta/Integra style carrier for the baby size. Instead of a padded waist, it just has webbing or possibly fabric straps (with buckles). It's usually worn a little higher and "apron style." If MH is interested in wearing at all, it's only in a SSC. I don't know if he'd be comfortable with the non-structured waist, so I'd contemplate another Kinderpack if I see one for a great price, or a Kanga X2, but I never see those used. We still use the toddler size or I'd try to trade.
  • Another favorite for newborns and babies, although they can be really good for toddlers too, are ring slings. I never found the love but I'm going to give them another shot this time. I think I know more about how to get them comfortably adjusted and how to make them quick to use. I like using a short wrap in traditional sling carry, so I'm thinking I might like ring slings this go around.
      No personal favorite. Sakura Bloom, Wildbird are popular, and a lot of wrap/carrier brands make them from their own wrap fabric (Tula, Lillebaby, Oscha, etc). These are made from a variety of materials - the most common are linen, silk, and wrap material. Some are floating around made from regular quilting cotton in a double layer, but that stuff rips and wears out so easily, I wouldn't feel safe using it. All slings now have to be tested, so there are fewer people converting wraps to slings. There are still people doing it outside of the regulations but that's technically illegal in the US. I have a Girasol wrap I'm going to convert. You want something moldable and easy to adjust through the rings (not too grippy), and the more broken in they get the more moldable and adjustable they are.
    • Link/picture:

$-$$$
      They're supposed to be very quick to use. Just put it on, adjust it nice and tight, just enough room to pop baby in, and then you can get the baby in the sling quickly. Not long enough to drag on the ground. Supposedly easy to nurse in. Relatively cool because it's just one layer of fabric over you.
      They restrict arm movement on one side. If you don't get them situated quite right they can dig into your neck or upper shoulder. Some people get picky about shoulder style - you can get pleated (narrower, less adjustable, pretty much just put on and go), gathered (wider, adjustable, can take a tiny bit more time to get settled nicely on your shoulder), or hybrid (partly gathered, partly pleated).
      I've heard a lot of people say they hated the Maya ring sling. It's the one that has stuck out to me not to try.
  • Bumping back to page 1

• I'm just going to drop this link in here for how to use and size yourself for a pouch style sling (ie- Seven Sling).

https://wrappingrachel.com/tag/pouch-sling/
  • So glad this thread was bumped! This has been on my mind a lot and I've been stalking some carrier B/S/T groups on FB, but waiting to buy until we find out if baby is a boy or a girl in a few weeks. I lent my friend my Moby which I'll be getting back. I enjoyed wearing when DD was an infant but it does get warm, so I'm planning to buy a Solly for this baby, too. I had an Ergo with DD and it didn't fit me great, but worked OK as she got a little older and we went hiking, etc.

I've been researching Tulas and Kinderpacks and think I'm leaning more towards a Kinderpack - I love that you can cross the straps in the back because it seems like it would be more supportive. Those that have tried both - which did you prefer and why? 
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• @southernlady07 It really depends from person to person. I personally loved the KP's fit. I have narrow, sloping shoulders and it was the only soft structure carrier that didn't slip off my shoulders.

I have friends who greatly preferred Tula.

This said, both options are supportive. Crossed straps or not, both are supportive and great carrier options. It, in my experience, comes down to how the carrier fits to the body of the wearer.
  • @knitknitread Thank you! I have narrow shoulders as well so that is good to know. 
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• Favorite [baby carrier brand]: Beco Butterfly 2 and a basic black wrap.  All comments are about the beco
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Nice carriers are reasonably expensive but WORTH IT.
    •  What you like about it:  Well my husband really likes it so that's a bonus but it distributes the childs weight on you evenly 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: not much.  it's a little awkward to figure out how to put on due to the all the straps and it doesn't adjust easily 
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you don't have but are considering? Why?: nope
    • Is there a [baby carrier] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: a cheapo basic one.  no support for baby or mom
    • Additional thoughts on [baby carrier]?: The basic black wrap is great for the newborn stage but when they get big enough I go straight to the Beco.   Also, our parents all had a snugli and the soft sided carriers (ex the beco butterfly) are basically the modern version of it.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • @southernlady07 I liked the KP better than Tula, too. I also have narrow shoulders, and being able to cross the KP straps is super helpful for me. It does make it trickier to get on, though! The fit was just better for us, and it felt more comfortable over all.
  • I just reread the thread and didn't find much to answer this...

I have a friend who is going to lend me a Moby, but I've heard great things about the Solly (mostly around The Bump). I'm leaning toward a wrap over a RS until LO is big enough for the Lille. Is there any major difference between the two besides fabric thickness? I'm thinking a Solly would be better because LO is due on the 3rd and our Septembers are pretty warm. I want to go walking with DS and LO while the weather is still nice. Is there one that ties easier or is there some other fundamental difference? The Solly seams marginally more expensive than the Moby (but in my case Moby is free). I tried the Ktan with DS and hated it (and he hated it because I couldn't get him in there comfortably).

DH also had a customer of his recently rave about the Beco Gemini, but I can't see spending money on this when we have a barely used Lille. I'm surprised he even mentioned it because he always tells me I have a baby gear spending problem! :D