February 2018 Moms
Options

Flu season and sickness

msunshine123msunshine123 member
edited February 2018 in February 2018 Moms
How is everyone managing with flu season and sickness? If you are pregnant are you planning to do anything specific  to keep LO away from germs? If you've already welcomed your LO what strategies are you using? 

Re: Flu season and sickness

• Options
    Our LO is 2 weeks. All of us in home have had flu shot. We've been avoiding having LO's little cousins visit until after 8 week shots. Keeping LO home mostly aside from MD appointments. DH had a fever the other night - just a 24 hour bug, but we still kept him quarantined to avoid spreading germs as best we could. It's a bad season with sickness and flu - just trying our best. 
  • Options
    Keeping the hospital visitors to a minimum, anyone who visits the house obviously has to wash their hands before holding LO and I’m thinking about asking people if they’ve been sick in the last 2 weeks before giving them the OK to visit. Definitely keeping him home as long as possible though. I’ve been on DH to make sure he’s washing his hands frequently at work. Those offices are a cesspool of germs! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everyone who wants to see the baby needs flu vaccine. 
  • Options
    Not allowing anyone to visit the hospital except immediate family. Not taking any risks. 3,000 Americans have died of the flu so far this year! That's so many in such a little amount of time. Blame the hospital staff and say no visitors due to the doctor not allowing people in. Lucky for me my due date is in the middle of the week and the hospital has very limited visiting hours anyways. Highly doubt anyone will try to see baby in the hospital but if they desperately want to see her I will show her through the glass window of the nursery for an hour while I rest. My best advice? Don't take any chances. Every mom wants the best for her baby and will understand if you don't want anyone to visit due to the flu epidemic this year. 
  • Options
    Lots of hand washing. Since I have to take dd I will do a ton of baby wearing to prevent people from touching baby. 
  • Options
    My hospital won't let kids 12 and under on the postpartum unit so when my SIL came to visit, my husband hung out with her 6 n 4 year old across the street at McDonald's while my SIL and BIL visited me and the baby. 
  • Options
    My hospital won't let kids 12 and under on the postpartum unit so when my SIL came to visit, my husband hung out with her 6 n 4 year old across the street at McDonald's while my SIL and BIL visited me and the baby. 
    Mine has a very patient first attitude so they generally have no visiting restrictions (nice as a patient, but I’m also an employee there and it gets annoying!) but with the flu so bad this year, there’s a temporary ban on kids under 14. Kinda stinks because my goddaughter is 7 and probably the only “extra” family member besides my parents who I’d like to visit. It is what it is! 
  • Options
    @kristinl492 yeah it's a temporary flu ban at mine too. On the one hand I love my nieces and they would adore the baby n ask a bunch of cute questions but at the same time they're germ factories. 
  • Options
    @kristinl492 yeah it's a temporary flu ban at mine too. On the one hand I love my nieces and they would adore the baby n ask a bunch of cute questions but at the same time they're germ factories. 
    “Germ factories”  :D Funny, but accurate