High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Polyhydramnios (high amniotic fluid)

Did anyone here have experience in this condition?

4 weeks ago I had a scan where they said the fluid was high but still normal, so I had to cut back on sugar.  Which I did.  Not all sugar, but ate less of it definitely. 

Yesterday at the checkup scan the amniotic fluid level was even higher and outside of normal territory (7.8 deepest vertical pocket, overall score 27).  The baby is also measuring about 2 weeks ahead, 1600gr ish at 29+4. It's a boy.

They ruled out GD and RHesus issues, plus I had an infection test 4 weeks ago, also ruled out.

The doctor really scared me by offering me amnio at 32 weeks.  This sounds like they might think it's a chromosomal problem??

I had the harmony test at 11 weeks which came back negative, plus there were no soft markers on any of my large scans (had 4!  12 weeks, 20 weeks, 25 weeks and now).  

Does anyone have experience with false negative NIPT and false negative scans and still had a shock T21 or similar? 

Or any experience with polyhydramnios in general?

Me:  35 year old FTM, a busy city banker living in London, and a constant worrier. 
My DH:  French guy, car fanatic, best husband ever.  
Our baby boy:  Due on 17 April, currently 37 weeks.  I can't believe it - I made it to full term!!!! 
Last measurement:  3150 gs at 37+1!  This is going to be a big baby :)

Re: Polyhydramnios (high amniotic fluid)

• Options
    Loss mentioned....

I lost my son at 26 weeks last August. He had markers from the first US at 12 weeks. (High NT of 4.4 mm). We did the NIPT and came back clear for 13, 18 and 21 but I still felt like something was wrong. I developed polyhydramnios around 20 weeks. At the anatomy scan, they discovered he had a brain and heart abnormality and also though he had a TE fistula (could swallow) which was causing the high fluid. We were offered amnio but declined. After he passed, the mircroarray revealed he had a substantial deletion on his 7th chromosome. He didn't have a TE fistula, but did have issues with his lungs in addition to the other abnormalities. 

I would imagine everything is fine for you since you have no other issues! Like I said, we had markers and warning signs from very early in the pregnancy. Sounds like your baby is healthy and could just be a fluke thing! Hope you get answers and peace of mind <3 Congrats on a sweet baby boy! 

DS1: 12/17/2014
    DS2: born sleeping at 26 weeks on 8/8/2016 due to chromosomal deletion
    Pregnant with baby 3 -  EDD 9/14/2017

• Options
    I had polyhydramnios with DS and high fluid (but not poly) with DD2. My son has a syndrome and many times this syndrome is accompanied by poly. I would try not to stress too hard if your child doesn't have any other markers right now. Things are easy to miss on an ultrasound so I would probably take any extra testing that they offer but that's because so many things were missed with my son's pregnancy.
                                          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
                                                                     Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                           "Lyric" EDD Nov/4/11 - c/p Feb/11
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                             "Lux" EDD Apr/21/17 - c/p Aug/16
                                                       "Kokonah" EDD May/24/17 - m/c Oct/16
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                          Grab bag of mental health disorders
                                                                              Pancolitis

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been recently diagnosed with poly at my appointment just shy of 32 weeks.  I've been with a high-risk practice for this entire pregnancy, but not due to fluid issues.  Our other two pregnancies were also spent full time with perinatologists.  

My AFI is holding steady at 31 cm and the baby is measuring 5 weeks ahead.  I'm huge, uncomfortable and often in pain.  With the poly diagnosis, I'm going in weekly for NSTs and fluid checks though I think that will soon change to bi-weekly appointments.  

We've ruled out gestational diabetes, trisomies 13, 18 and 21 and esophageal abnormalities.  All anatomy and growth scans to date have been normal.  So, it's looking like we're in the category of 50% cases of unknown etiology.  

Since this is still new, I don't yet feel adequately educated about the condition.  At our last appointment, the MFM said that I'm at high risk for pre-term labor, basically any time now from 33 weeks onward.  And they said that given the condition, we can schedule a c-section as early as 37 weeks (I would need a RCS regardless).  I'm still hoping to make it to 39 weeks, but they won't let me go longer than that.

How are you feeling?
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Options
    I was just diagnosed with this today at 37+4 which concerns me because my fluid level was normal at my ultrasound at 34+4. Baby is in the 57th%, we had NIPT done early on which came back “normal.” I don’t know what this could be, but I made the mistake of googling right away while they had me on the monitor today, not a good idea. 

My level right now is 9.2 at the deepest pocket. I am being sent back to my MFM next week and I’m a wreck! 
  • Options
    @chasingroygbiv, I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  It is scary. And I did the same thing by hitting Google immediately.  Scary stuff, but I wanted to understand what we’re dealing with.  I’ll be 37 weeks tomorrow. My last AFI was 39.6 (this is a measurement based on four pockets).  I would ask them if they’ll give you a four quadrant measurement, rather than the single deepest pocket.  The four quad measurement is more accurate at this point in our pregnancies.  The single deepest pocket tends to be used when poly is suspected much earlier in pregnancy.  

All of our anatomy scans scans and genetic screening have come back normal.  Sounds like you’re in a similar situation. Just remember that a large number of poly cases are of unknown etiology and the baby is born healthy. Try not to borrow trouble!   Easier said than done, I know.  Let us know how you’re doing.  
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.