June 2018 Moms

Baby Names

Re: Baby Names

• We are having another girl and I'm really struggling with the name on this one.  We are looking at a lot of Irish names but I have a huge hang up that they don't look at all how they sound! So when it comes to people pronouncing her name, they're going to just butcher it unless they are of Irish decent or knew someone with that name before.  The one name I like that is not a crazy spelling Irish name is Nora but DH's sister has a daughter named Cora.  Cora will be 10 when baby girl is born.  Can we use Nora or is that just too close?

EDD 6/18/18
    DD=10/5/10 DS=4/9/13
  • @murraydog2008 We have a big Irish family and there are a lot of repeated names among cousins, and nobody really cares. I checked with my aunts before I named DD after my grandma and they were confused because someone else could just also use the name if they wanted to, lol

i guess it’s different for everyone, though. My SIL’s brother didn’t speak to her for weeks when they named their kid something that starts with the same letter. That feels extreme. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @catlady1215 I love Trey for the meaning behind it! 

We still can't decide on a boy's name . . . 
  • @murraydog2008 I love the name Nora! I'd say go for it. It's close but not the same name, so why not.

@marcus7676 I don't know why boy names are harder. A lot of people say that!
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • @pupsicle23 Didn't speak to them for weeks because of the same first letter in the name?!?!?! That is nuts! people are so crazy about names sometimes.  Thanks for the feedback.  They are similar but different enough that I think it is ok.  We'll see. I'll probably change my mind like 12 different times between now and June.

EDD 6/18/18
    DD=10/5/10 DS=4/9/13
  • @murraydog2008 our DD's first name is my niece's middle name. No problems there, though DH was against it for a while. 
    I'm considering Nicholas which is very close to one of my niece's names, but I don't think it matters. 
    I'd say if you still like that name when baby comes, go for it!
  • @murraydog2008 go for it! I think they’re just different enough and I love Nora! Im having a girl too and I’ve always loved that name but my niece’s name is Norah so that’s a no go for me. 

I think we’ve finally narrowed down our names; Charlotte (Charlie) or Ruby. DH immediately goes to a nickname whenever a new name is suggested so he’s been shortening Ruby to Rue. Which then led to him calling her Blanche because of Rue Mclanahan from the Golden Girls.  

At at this point I almost feel like I’m going to have to wait until I see DD to know which name is really hers. Anyone else feel that way? 
  • @murraydog2008 we had the exact same issue with the pronunciation of irish names when we were having DD.  DH really liked Saoirse but I was worried about no one pronouncing it correctly (Plus I just had to look up the name in order to spell it correctly myself).  We ended up naming DD Reagan, but I preferred the more Irish looking Reaghan.  

Cora and Nora are definitely different enough- I can't tell you how many Ryan and Brians are in my family.  

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @murraydog2008 They're both beautiful names but they do sound similar. I don't think that matters if you really love the two together though.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kellicoptor062018 Ruby has been on our short list too! It's such a cute name!  We are also in the camp of have a few names picked out but wait until you see the baby to decide. We did that with our other 2 and it was so clear when we saw our daughter what her name was. With our son, it took a few hours of hanging out with him and looking at him to decide on Eli.

@jsl82 I love the name Saoirse! My son has a little girl with that name in his class and it's soooo cute hearing him say her name!  The other 2 Irish names we're considering are Aoife and Roisin.  Love they way they both sound, but I just worry about people not knowing how to pronounce them!

EDD 6/18/18
    DD=10/5/10 DS=4/9/13
  • @murraydog2008 Aoife was another name on our REALLY Irish list.  I just knew she would have to tell people how to pronounce it all the time.
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Saoirse Flora Ann 
    Pronounced Seer-sha
  • silvergreensilvergreen member
    edited February 2018
    @Austenista Yep! I am forever correcting people with my name, but I honestly don't care that much. (Thea pronounced "thay-ah" and not "thee-ah").

ETA: I just tell people rhyme it with Princess Leia. ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @amyparrish9 That is such a beautiful name! I love it so much! 

EDD 6/18/18
    DD=10/5/10 DS=4/9/13
  • @catlady1215 - Our nickname for this baby is currently "Trey" as he'll be our third son.  DH told me it was growing on him as an actual name (we're nowhere near picking out a name yet - our other boys didn't get officially named until they were born).  So you get my approval.  :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @mytinc our first DS didn't get a name till the night before we left the hospital. So im right there with ya! Lol
  • @mytinc our first DS didn't get a name till the night before we left the hospital. So im right there with ya! Lol
    I won't settle on a name until I actually see and hold our baby. We did the same with our daughter. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Real talk. We are trying to incorporate some family name ideas. Does Avery Ruth make you think of a Baby Ruth candy bar? I know you don’t walk around saying first and middle name together a lot.
  • @pupsicle23 I love Avery Ruth. I wouldn't have thought of baby ruth at all, had you not asked. I think its beautiful and flows nicely (Avery is on our short list too)!
  • I think Avery Ruth is cute!  I always think of Avery as a boy name??  I even know an IRL Averi though so no clue why...

FWIW, my dd gets called by her first and middle name all the time.  It flows, she calls herself that, and all the daycare ladies loved it when we first started bringing her there so it just kind of stuck. Even family often calls her by first and middle name. 
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @pupsicle23 I love Avery Ruth too! I’m biased about the name Avery though since that’s DD’s name. She’s Avery Lane. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @pupsicle23 I didn’t think about baby Ruth at all! I think with Ruth as a first name that’s a much higher risk! 

@Lolalipsy this is our first but I’m right there with you, I need to see her face to know who she is! Also since it’s my first I might be putting undo pressure on myself for a name but, this is a big responsibility to name a person! 
  • I need haaaaaaalp with some boy names!

Dd is Hazel.  We like unique but not strange or classic, older names.  Please offer suggestions?
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• @sabby2 I really like Eli, but I’ve never actually had a boy to name so I haven’t looked into how popular it is. Also- Connor, Gavin, Elias, Grant, Cole. That’s all I have off the top of my head for ya. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • sabby2sabby2 member
    edited February 2018
    @2589 I like Eli too but would want it to be a nickname for something... maybe Elijah or Elias?

Eta: your other choices are spot on with my style. I'll have to add those to the list. :)
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• @sabby2 we went with Jack since it's a family name, but others on my list were Owen, Oliver, Ethan, Issac, Wesley, Levi, Ian, and Andrew. I know some of those are a little more common than others but they seem in the grain of classic names. Also realizing that I obviously have a thing for boy names that start with a vowel. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @Amphibious22 some good ones in that list too. I seem to get stuck on E names right now.  It's hard because I grew up as one of 3 girls in my class with my name... and am one of 3 in my office with my name so I don't want that for my kids, hence Hazel.  I think Jack is so cute but it's popularge right now so I shy away from it.  I also have a huge extended family so I run into issues with names already in use by people we frequently see.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• @sabby2 yeah I was really hesitant to commit to Jack because of it's popularity, but it's both of our paternal grandfathers' names and it felt right. We are middle naming him Tiberius to make sure he's not too mainstream. Lol. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @sabby we like different also. A few on our extended list are Cade, Carter, Reed. And we have a Talon.
  • @sabby2 my friend has a 15 month old son named Ezra and if/when they have a girl they want to name her Hazel. I think they sound cute together but I know Ezra is getting a lot more popular. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @krashke Ezra is my top choice!!  DH is not a huge fan though.  I think they sound cute together.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• krash_krash_ member
    edited February 2018
    What do we think about the name Diane for a girl? Particularly if we have a boy named David? 

Is it too 80's/90's? Our style is traditional unpopular names. Some of our other girl choices are Ada, Marilyn and Beverly. 

Also my late grandmothers name was Diana so it is kind of a nod without naming her the exact same.

ETA: growing up I never really liked that my name was a "middle aged" name, but now I like it. Does Diane sound too middle aged? lol 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke This is a little hard for me to answer, since my mom's name is Diane, so it does feel pretty "middle-aged" to me. But, not sure if this matters to you, I have always really liked the nicknames for Diane--my mom's family calls her both Di and Annie, and I think both are cute. It gives you a lot of options, in case your kid wants to be called something else until she grows into her middle aged name.  ;)
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @krashke I like it!  I like the nod to your grandmother too. :)
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• @krashke Diane does feel like she's my mom's friend/ a baby boomer. "Diana" for some reason sounds more classic to me. Either way she would stand out from all the century-old names that are popular now. (Not necessarily a bad thing.) I like Diane, I like Diana more. 

Siblings with all the same first letter are not my style but I do like David. 

@sabby2 Theo/Theodore, Elliott, Everett,  Emmett, Nigel, Caden, Cason, Henry, Edward, Charles, Thomas, Felix.
  • @krashke I love the name Diane. Also Sylvia (Silkie as a nickname). Classic names and elegant in my opinion.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @krashke Like @llamamama14 I also like Diana, but probably because I associate the name with the Roman goddess:

Diana, in Roman religion, goddess of wild animals and the hunt, identified with the Greek goddess Artemis. Her name is akin to the Latin words dium(“sky”) and dius (“daylight”). Like her Greek counterpart, she was also a goddess of domestic animals. As a fertility deity she was invoked by women to aid conception and delivery. (https://www.britannica.com/topic/Diana-Roman-religion)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Lolalipsy my other grandmother that just past away in January was actually named Sylvia. We have considered it but MH isn't a huge fan. 

@llamamama14 my mom and her siblings all start with S and I didn't even think about them both being D until you mentioned it. We have pretty much decided on David so that might rule out Diane/Diana. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke myself, MH, and now this baby all have names starting in J. It's definitely not on purpose, but some people have commented on it. It doesn't bother me though and I don't think it's a big deal. I mean if you have 6 kids and they all start with D then maybe that's a little much, but 2 isn't bad. My sister and I are both J names and we never thought about it being weird. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020