October 2018 Moms

Geeky Moms Unite

edited February 2018 in October 2018 Moms
Hey. Total geek here looking for other geeky ladies to discuss all the geeky things :) what are your geeky passions?

Edit: I changed the title of this thread to Geeky Moms. I define a geek as someone who is unapologetically passionate about a particular subject. Let’s share our loves of all the things :)

Re: Geeky Moms Unite

• My nerdy passions are board games, Harry Potter, game of thrones, and all things Pixar. I’m sure there are others, but those are the big ones
  • I'm a big HP fan too. However, most of my nerdiness lies on comic books. I'm a huge DC fan.
  • Loading the player...
  • olivemommaolivemomma member
    edited February 2018
    Yes to all things HP and GOT! This will be my third baby and for Halloween I want all my kids to dress as dragons and I want to be mother of dragons!! (Not sure how DH fits into my costume plan)

Edit to include stranger things!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • nugget2ehfnugget2ehf member
    edited February 2018
    @olivemomma Yes HP! And yes GoT! We actually have the name Emilia on our top list of girl names after (kind of) Emilia Clarke. Make your husband either Jon Snow or Khal Drogo. 

My husband is ridiculously into dinosaurs (he says they’re not for children), so therefore I am into dinosaurs. I have no choice but to have everything dinosaur in our kids future. 
  • twinpeaksmamatwinpeaksmama member
    edited February 2018
    My nerdy things are: Harry Potter, Mystery Science Theater 3000 (the Mike and Joel days), the Animal Crossing video games, and Twin Peaks.

Edited because this app keeps eating my replies.
  • You can add me to the HP and GOT list, though in both instances I much prefer the books. I'm not big on board games, probably because there's never anyone around to play them with me, but sign me up for all of the puzzles.

@twinpeaksmama, are you trying to add emojis from your phone? If so, the bump cuts off at whatever you used that's not in their (limited) arsenal. If you click on the smiley on top of the leave a reply box, there's a few emojis in there and that's all TB recognizes.
  • I love HP, board games, Stranger Things, The Sims, SimCity, and Musicals. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • hoping4lilbit and @pebbledam what kind of board games? DH and I have a ton. we finished pandemic season 2 a couple of weeks ago and we own about 25+ board games. I really like any euro type board game.

I love all things nerdy- HP, Star wars, anything on Netflix, board games. I play a couple of video/pc games; Fallout, lego dimensions, and Sims.  
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• HP, Star Wars,  Star Trek, comics, musicals, and podcasts are my big nerd things. But I tend to like almost anything sci fi. I'm starting to play some video games because I live with a gamer, but that's not my main thing. 
  • @olivemomma - SS wants to be a character from How to Train your Dragon for Halloween, I've already been looking up infant dragon costumes!
  • @kosmo86 - Catan is a staple in our house. We also play Lords of Waterdeep, Kingdom Builder, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Betrayal at the House on the Hill... Among others. 
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
  • Holla to all the European style board game geeks! I’m also a huge escape room aficionado. Geeked out and made one for my hubbys bday last year. Also huge political wonk.  

Dont follow HP or GOT but looking fwd to westworld. 
    me: 37 dh: 42; TTC since Jan 2016
    dx: PCOS, low progesterone; 2 MMC
    Sept FET 2018 Spreadsheet
    3 failed IUIs (clomid + ovidrel), unresponsive to femara
    Jan 2 2018 - 1st IVF cycle - 9 retrieved, 7 mature/fertilized, 1 5d transfer + 5 untested snowbabies
    Jan 19 2018 - Fresh Transfer #1 one 5dt; BFP 1/25/2018; EDD 10/7/2018; MMC at 8w3d; D&C 3/6/2018
    May 16 2018 - FET #1 one 5dt; BFP with 4 betas (6.5, 24.3, 165.5, 2250) - EDD 2/1/2019; MMC at 6w; D&C 6/20/18
    Sept 17 2018 - FET #2 one 5dt; BFP 38.9 7dpt, 167 9dpt - EDD 6/5/2019  
    (3 untested embryos remain)

• kosmo86kosmo86 member
    edited February 2018
    @pebbledam I still have yet to play Catan since its needs 3 people and its just DH and I. I like kingdom builder and ticket to ride. My favorite game of all time is castles of burgundy. A fan favorite around our house is carcassonne 

ETA: we also have mansions of madness which I have been dying to play lately. I think its similar to Betrayal at the House on the Hill

• @kosmo86 - Catan can be played with 2 people. We play all the time....
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
  • Massive bookworm and a not so slight obsession with Harry Potter and Game of Thrones, among others. 
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • This is fantastic! So happy you are all here :) my favorite board game these days is Five Tribes. Not a board game, but DH and I have also been playing through Zelda Breath of the Wild on WiiU together. DH does most of the battling while I enjoy running around, solving puzzles and finding things. 

Anyway. Here’s a pic of our game collection. Anybody else wanna share pics of their obsessions?
  • my favorite european style game is Puerto Rico followed by Power Grid, but we usually play Pandemic b/c it can be played with two people. have recently played Terraforming Mars, Seven Wonders, Evolution, and Agricola. I love most games b/c i'm uber competitive. :) 

but i also love a good party game... my favorites are Taboo and Telestrations. and the trusty standby, Celebrity Bowl.
    me: 37 dh: 42; TTC since Jan 2016
    dx: PCOS, low progesterone; 2 MMC
    Sept FET 2018 Spreadsheet
    3 failed IUIs (clomid + ovidrel), unresponsive to femara
    Jan 2 2018 - 1st IVF cycle - 9 retrieved, 7 mature/fertilized, 1 5d transfer + 5 untested snowbabies
    Jan 19 2018 - Fresh Transfer #1 one 5dt; BFP 1/25/2018; EDD 10/7/2018; MMC at 8w3d; D&C 3/6/2018
    May 16 2018 - FET #1 one 5dt; BFP with 4 betas (6.5, 24.3, 165.5, 2250) - EDD 2/1/2019; MMC at 6w; D&C 6/20/18
    Sept 17 2018 - FET #2 one 5dt; BFP 38.9 7dpt, 167 9dpt - EDD 6/5/2019  
    (3 untested embryos remain)

• ....I didn't know some of this was considered nerdy

I love GoT, Westworld, HP, party games and cards
  • @northbeach3 I haven’t played Puerto Rico but I have the adaption San Juan which is pretty good. We play Agricola quite often.

This is most of our collection.

• I love your collections! I have a few, but can never find people to play
  • @olivemomma your husband should be the knight :) granted Knights killed dragons, right? OK, maybe a bad idea but it would look cute as a group. 
  • Omg such awesome collections of board games you guys! We had to sell off part of ours when we moved across the Atlantic, but love playing Catan and @kosmo86 I agree that San Juan is a pretty good game that you easily can play with 2 people.

Besides boardgames I also love GoT,  HP, stranger things etc. Any other good series you guys have watched lately? We watched the handmaids tale which is a little creepy when you're pregnant, but great show. 
  • HP, all the games, all the puzzles & all the sci-fi everything.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Big HP fan here! And Doctor Who!! although I haven't watched the most recent season yet :( 
  • I am hardcore into Pokemon. DD1 whole first nursery was themed in pokemon! If all goes well I am thinking Marvel next. 
    I was also really into anime/manga when I had more time, and am very good with computers.
  • I love this! I am a big HP fan and I love me some Star Wars although I'm not as knowledgeable about the "Star Wars" world as I am HP. I'd like to have an HP themed baby shower! I think it could really fun! 
  • I love this!

Harry Potter and lord of the rings are some of my favorite book series, and movies! 

I have written a few of my own novels, which I think is nerdy haha.

We love to play a lot of games like settlers, cover your assets, sushi go!, splendor, bohnanza, skull king, exploding kittens... so many

We also play a lot of video games. I went to the Ellen show and I won a PlayStation among other things and got the Virtual Reality system too so we’ve been hitting that pretty hard!
  • Super geek, here! Love all the HP, GoT, Star Wars, Stranger Things fandoms. Also a PC gamer, mostly Blizzard games like Overwatch and Hearthstone, but some stuff on Steam, too.
    DH is a game designer, so gaming (of all types) is a way of life in our home!  
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • My daughter asked me today if she could be a princess for Halloween and I asked her if she would be a dragon instead  :# I then went into watch an old episode of GOT while they napped instead of cleaning like I was supposed to be doing 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @olivemomma two years ago for Halloween I was Daenerys and DD was my dragon!!!

I love HP, GoT, and Star Wars and love video games. I also read a ridiculous amount of books each year. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• @northbeach3 Terraforming Mars and Seven Wonders are both hot in our house right now, and we are going to a rediscovery of some old school favs like Acquire. But we just got Gloomhaven I think we might be exploring that the next few wknds. Anyone else try the legacy games? We have Pandemic Legacy and Seafall but haven't broken into them yet. 

My DH and my second date was a double date to board game bar, and we promptly got into a heated debate over the validity of a Scattegories answer. I knew right then I would marry that man.

This is a photo of (most of) our board game closet with a pantry problem. :) 
    Age 32, FTM, cis-hetero, married since 11-2016. Love is love is love is love.
  • Oh and this past Xmas my 5 yr old nephew caught Nana (my mom) not paying attention and Uno'd her but GOOD. And my DH and I did an escape room with his family. Our little munchkin doesn't stand a chance, does s/he? :)

Can you tell I love this thread?
    Age 32, FTM, cis-hetero, married since 11-2016. Love is love is love is love.