October 2018 Moms

Exercise

Anyone else super competitive? I exercise 5x a week. I have 2 half marathons and a 10k in the next few weeks. I wanted to PR one but don’t think I should now, but I dont know. Obviously I’m going to talk to my doctor but anyone else feel like they “should” slow down? Right now I feel Ok but not sure how hard to push myself. And I had Signed up for the Chicago full in October lol

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Exercise

• I have a back issue that WILL get worse if I don't strengthen my core, and because it's winter I have been really lazy lately. I can tell the pain is close to coming back, but I turn into a blanket covered hermit when it gets cold. 

I hope you're able to tone it down without feeling too held back... Not sure about that full marathon though!  :D
  • I've always heard that if you were doing it before you got pregnant, you can keep doing it. I'm not a runner, but my friend ran for the entire 40 weeks of her pregnancy and she loved it. I don't think she did any races though, just jogging. I do think my old boss did a couple half marathons while she was pregnant though. Just stay hydrated and you will probably be fine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m still working out and want to do it throughout my pregnancy. Ditto on if you did it before there is no need to alter your routine if it’s a healthy pregnancy. I have even heard of women running full marathons when they are in their third trimester! So I would just check with you doc and continue at your comfort level! We are going to New Zealand in a couple of weeks and are doing a 40k multi day trek that I’m a little nervous about - I’m hoping I can make my husband carry all of the heavy gear and I can be in charge of sleeping bags  ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Ditto on above - always heard that you can just keep doing what you were already doing, but check with doc. I'm in full on maintenance mode - skipping HIIT workouts and burpees, but otherwise maintaining what I was doing prior.
  • Lol my due date is the actual marathon which makes me laugh. I was Told i had a 5% chance of getting pregnant so we gave up. I joked that it would happen once i sign up for a full marathon. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not out there running any marathons, but I exercise 5-6 days a week.  Mostly jogging, spinning and weights.  I plan on keeping it all up as long as I can. 

Trying to remind myself to drink extra water, too.

image        image

• @laumb11 - What timing! Two days before I found out I was pregnant I agreed to go indoor skydiving at the end of March. I'm not sure what I'm going to tell my mom and niece to get out of that one...
  • @kimberbeep how about you just pulled something in your neck earlier that week and the doc said no? ;)
  • Spinning is great! We have a peloton and I should make more use out of it.

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ugh.. yea maybe your sick?! 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @chopchop25 and @Laumb11 - My niece is visiting from out of country and indoor skydiving is one of two things she wants to do (the other thing being the Justin Timberlake concert which is unaffordable!!) She's a little bit of a brat, so any "excuse" I make will be met with teenaged angst. My mom is just the planner and already promised to reserve our tickets by the beginning of March. I'll likely end up telling my mom within the next few weeks, but not sure what I can tell my niece or plan instead... 
  • @kimberbeep oh no! Can you still go with her and just watch her do it?  And then maybe manicures or something with her then afterward to continue the bonding / doing something together?
  • Laumb11 said:
    Spinning is great! We have a peloton and I should make more use out of it.

@laumb11 We just got a peloton in December (Merry Christmas to me!)  I love having it as a workout option (especially for the days when I can't workout until the kids are in bed).

image        image

• @kimberbeep oh no! Can you still go with her and just watch her do it?  And then maybe manicures or something with her then afterward to continue the bonding / doing something together?
    Great idea! 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used to run marathons, but eventually stopped when we were ttc because it messed up my cycle.  I did run a 5k when i was pregnant with my son at 8 weeks, but i barfed in the middle and clocked my worst time ever, and didn't run the rest of pregnancy because it sucked.  I did continue to lift much more than the traditional "25 lb" reco because its something i have always done.  (i have to lift things for work sometimes, and i have an obese handicapped dog and now a clingy toddler to boot.)  I was told that if you have a healthy normal pregnancy, you can continue whatever exercise you normally do, just make sure you don't overheat or your heart rate doesn't get too high.  Maybe just do the half marathons for fun @Laumb11? A couple years ago a woman did the chicago marathon while in labor at 40 weeks, and then caught a cab at the finish line to go deliver her baby....maybe you can do a 2018 repeat?? 
  • @kimberbeep - could you volunteer to take some awesome photos of them doing it??
  • I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do exercise why. I was doing 80 Day Obsession from Beachbody, and the creator has said it's not safe for pregnant women (because of heavy lifting, work on your back, and balancing). I"m thinking about doing a different program of hers. Maybe not 6 days a week like I was... 
  • @jengibre_zorro hahaha I don't think I will be running at all at 40 weeks! That is insane.. Once these 2 halfs are done I will prob cut back and do between 3-6, playing it by ear. I don't do crossfit so I don't necessarily lift heavy stuff but I do squats and other things with heavy weights. Today I did walking lunges and reverse lunges with 60lbs on my shoulders. I am not sure how I will continue to do that with a big ol belly though. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sammierose464 you can keep doing those things, I would think up until the 3rd tri. Ask your doc! 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Laumb11 since the creator advises against it, I've decided to play it safe.
  • @sammierose464 true, that’s weird but yes def better safe!

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I worked out as much as I could during my last pregnancy, but as I got bigger, even going for a walk seemed like a major workout. I think if you make an effort to keep moving in some way as long as you can, that's great. Unless it's against doctor's orders, of course. :) 
  • I've been to dizzy to be comfortable trying to work out. It kind of sucks.
    Me: 25 | DH: 34
    Married since 2010, TTC since Dec 2013
    Dx: PCOS
  • All of my regular activities I have to stop at 12 weeks  :(. (Rock climbing, horseback riding, and paddle boarding). I NEED to find something else I don’t hate so I don’t blow up like a whale like last time. I loathe running, weight lifting is mehh, I need something fun that I don’t think of as working out. Any ideas? 
  • @koala1107 - try zumba or some other type of dance! 

I am keeping up my regular routine for now. My work has a great gym with lots of classes.  (all 30 minute classes). I did already twist my ankle 1 day. I feel a lot less balanced already. I walked a lot during my last pregnancy and made sure to get at least 10k steps pretty much up to 8 months preggo.
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• I have probably worked out more this pregnancy than I did at all with my 2nd. However, I was also in really good shape before we had DS2. This time I am hoping to continue working out as long as possible! Currently, I am doing a C25K program and light weights on my "off" cardio days. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • @koala1107 - Yoga? I think that's what I might try.
  • I've been doing a quick 20 min yoga work out to keep myself moving.  I feel like yoga is easier to make myself do when all I want to do is crawl in to bed than my usual more intense work out.  I never really got back in shape/into a consistent routine after DD and it's stressing me out a bit.  I was really in shape that  pregnancy and feel like it helped so much with carrying the extra weight and labor.  
  • @kfrob - Is there a specific program/video you do?
  • @kimberbeep I've been doing the SarahBethYoga on youtube.  So far I've done the prenatal bedtime, prenatal wakeup, and prenatal work out.  
  • I’m in the middle of couch to 10k. I’ve been running for the past two years but had to lay off for an injury in the fall. Yesterday I tried to run and felt terrible! Winded much faster with heavy feeling legs.

I’m walking and doing yoga until I see the OB, just to be sure. Any other running mamas have this happen? Does it get better? I think I’m going to crazy if I can’t run!
  • Heard you can do what you had been doing at least for the first trimester. After that things may need to slow down, be tweaked, or stop. Of course check with your Dr. 
  • @quiltandknit thats basically how I knew to test. I was winded when I  went for a run that wasn't a "hard" run. It happened while I was doing burpees when I was first pregnant with DS. I stopped running with him but I wasn't running nearly as much as I do now so I am hoping it goes away also! I did a SUPER slow run last Sunday and I    was ok. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Laumb11 Thanks!  I miss running but for the past two days I've done brisk treadmill walks instead.  On days I feel really good I'll probably put some intervals back in.  
  • I'm proud of myself for getting up and working out today. I did Autumn Calabrese's (of 21 day fix) first Trimester workout today. I enjoyed it but dang is working out while pregnant harder!
  • @sammierose464 omg I just finished that first trimester workout of Autumn’s was thinking the same exact thing! How was I doing the 80 Day obsession JUST last week and now I’m all
    out of sorts from this! 
  • edited February 2018
    Former half fanatic checking in (after 2 knee surgeries I stopped racing). Have fun with your HMs! Listen to your body- if you feel good then why not try for the PR? If you don’t feel great, don’t push it and just run for fun and fitness.

A full would give me pause. The training and intensity that goes into it could be on your body. I would definitely check with your doctor on that one. It’s just so... long. And so much training. An October full would *definitely* be out haha, but hopefully you get a baby instead of a medal?

I’m still working out 5-6 days a week. I’m definitely getting a bit more winded than usual and hoping a good friend from my workout class isn’t noticing!
  • Ditto on above - always heard that you can just keep doing what you were already doing, but check with doc. I'm in full on maintenance mode - skipping HIIT workouts and burpees, but otherwise maintaining what I was doing prior.
    I’ve been swapping regular burpees for modified burpees! It’s pretty much moving my legs back into a plank and then back up (with no push-up). It’s been a decent substitute! 
  • @sammierose464 and @estellegetty - I did her first tri workout last night and the yoga workout this morning! It really is amazing how quickly my heart rate gets up there!
  • I’ve worked out until my due date with DD and DS and ran on my due date with both as they were both late. I qualified for the NYC marathon twice and cancelled twice because I got pregnant both times. I finally ran the marathon last November and it was such an emotional moment. Having to train with 2 kids at home and still breastfeeding was seriously no joke, but crossing that finish line was an incredible feeling. 
    Pregnancy Ticker