Baby Names
Options

Olive and Oliver?

Opinions needed! My DS's middle name is Oliver. We have been having a really hard time finding any names that we like. Our last name is an noun AND it's one syllable so it has been really difficult finding something that sounds right and something we love. We found the name "Olive" last night and fell in love. Nickname (if we decide to use one down the road) will be Liv. 

Is it weird to name our DD Olive if our DS's middle name is Oliver? 

Any other suggestions for our difficult last name? We tend to like shorter names that aren't too "frilly"

Re: Olive and Oliver?

• Options
    I think it’s totally fine. Middle names are so rarely used and I can’t think of a situation where they would be both together and called by their first and middle name.

other short non frilly names 

Ruth 
    Ruby
    Ivy
    Isla
    Mabel
    Hazel 
    Eden
    Mae
    Mauve 
    Rose
    Cora
    Clara 
    Violet 
    Willa
    Winnie 
    Willow 
    Mila
    Myla
    Lilah 
    Estelle
  • Options
    I have a 2 year old and infant, and we use their first and middle names quite often. Maybe that’s not the norm, but we do. 
    I think you can get away with it if you don’t mind hearing the similarity often. Say the names aloud a lot and see what you think. 

Wren
    Maeve
    Zara
    Pearl
    Irene
    Astrid
    Edith

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh man when I saw this I thought you were going to ask about Oliver and Olive as first names ... to that, I’d give you a hell no. Haha... but with middle, I think it is fine! I really like olive. Other ideas... Arden, Iris, Fiona, Hazel, Lydia, Leona, Lucy. 
  • Options
    It’s a little weird, but not that big of a deal as I agree we don’t use middle names a lot...more just that when you announce the name family may side eye you. I was tempted to use Jack as a first name for DS3 , but used Jackson as a middle for my first son and I felt that was too odd
  • Options
    I know brothers named James Robert and Robert Joseph..........nobody comments about it
  • Options
    @BabyBoyH92016 I'm actually really liking the name Clara!

@holli0801 Hahaha I wouldn't go THAT far.

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping we don't get TOO much side eye if we choose to use it. I'm not sure how I feel about it. More opinions are welcome!
  • Options
    If you don’t use the middle names often I don’t think it is a problem.  However with a noun last name I’d avoid a noun first names like Olive.  I love some of the other suggestions especially Clara!  Suggesting or seconding—

Clara
    Cora
    Sarah
    Louise
    Phoebe
    Alice
    Ruth
    Vera
    Ellen
    Jane
    Reese
    Lydia
    Maren

• Options
    I don’t think it’s that weird, but it depends how often you call your son by their full name. I find myself calling my daughter by her full name a lot right now, but she’s also a toddler so maybe that will die down when she starts listening to me? :D
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I think it would probably be fine. But maybe keep looking until baby is born before you commit to it?
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I know someone whose middle name is Gabrielle, then her parents named her little sister Gabrielle. She thought it was a little weird but didn't seem to mine too badly.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!