Trying to Get Pregnant

PCOS ttc going on 7 months

Hey everyone. My name is Kim. My husband (46)and I (31)have been ttc since July. We have a 4 1/2 year old together and I have one from a previous relationship. I had an iud after my youngest and had it taken out in July to ttc another one. After 3 months and no + and no af I went to my ob and had blood work done. She prescribed a medication to induce my af and then letrozole to help ovulate. She used that one because she seems to think I have PCOS. I have been using opk and got + but still no + pg test. I looked into our insurance and we have coverage for two smart cycle options for fertility treatments. I don’t know if we are ready for that option yet or not. We are both getting frustrated with it. I never had any issues with getting pg with my first two and now all of a sudden I am. Posted are what our options are for treatments. Not sure what the best way to go would be

Re: PCOS ttc going on 7 months

• memommy86 said:
    Hey everyone. My name is Kim. My husband (46)and I (31)have been ttc since July. We have a 4 1/2 year old together and I have one from a previous relationship. I had an iud after my youngest and had it taken out in July to ttc another one. After 3 months and no + and no af I went to my ob and had blood work done. She prescribed a medication to induce my af and then letrozole to help ovulate. She used that one because she seems to think I have PCOS. I have been using opk and got + but still no + pg test. I looked into our insurance and we have coverage for two smart cycle options for fertility treatments. I don’t know if we are ready for that option yet or not. We are both getting frustrated with it. I never had any issues with getting pg with my first two and now all of a sudden I am. Posted are what our options are for treatments. Not sure what the best way to go would be
    Just here for the QFP minus pic.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• memommy86 said:
    Just here for the QFP minus pic.

Qfp for what?
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn’t do that because I haven’t started any and I don’t know if it’s even been long enough to have that as an option. 
  • I had blood work done two different times checking for I don’t know what but lots of things. I was put on it because I had no periods the entire time with an iud and even after it was taken out. Never ovulated till after taking letrozole. 
  • @memommy86 Just trying to help figure some things out, did you have the copper iud or the hormonal one? Did they happen to do an ultrasound as well? Do you know those results?
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• memommy86memommy86 member
    edited February 2018
    I have a history of problems with cysts on my ovaries. I had the mirena iud. They did not do an ultrasound. I have been using opks since July. This is what I had done for blood work. 
  • I'm curious. What were the state of your periods when you got your IUD out in September of 2012 after having it in for 2.5 years?
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• I'm curious. What were the state of your periods when you got your IUD out in September of 2012 after having it in for 2.5 years?
    When I got it out in 2012 I never had a period before finding out I was pregnant in November. 
  • I was 5 weeks when I found out. I got another one in at my 6 week check up. I always had crazy afs and the abnormal hair growth plus the history of cysts.  Af is still not normal anyplace between 26 and 35ish days the past few months. 
  • Go here and scroll down to click on 'Tests' under the About PCOS section to get an idea of what a doctor has to do in order to diagnose it https://labtestsonline.org/conditions/polycystic-ovary-syndrome

People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• You’ve had some great advice so far, I just had a point about misdiagnoses. When I was 17, I was told I had PCOS. The doctor did no testing whatsoever and just went based on my abnormal cycle and weight, even though lots of teenagers have weird cycles. Fast forward 16 years and I’m in a PCOS TTC group on Facebook. After reading everyone’s stories about diagnosis, I ask my current doctor. She agrees that it sounds like it was inaccurate and sends me for a consult. After all the testing, it turns out I don’t have it (although I do have a different, unrelated, fertility issue). Doctors aren’t always right. There are certain clinical criteria that have to be met in order to qualify for a PCOS diagnosis. If your doctor is just giving you that label without testing properly, something sounds wrong. 
    Especially if they are actively treating you for PCOS without testing properly. It’s one thing to throw out an iffy diagnosis, it’s another to start treatment without confirmation.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited February 2018
    Lurker*** 

Jumping in to say not having a period while on mirena is very common. I was on Mirena for 9 years and didnt have a period for 8 of those years. After mirena, I got my period back right away but it was very different...it went down to 1 day of spotting. My OB didnt seem worried. **TW** It took 6 cycles to have a successful bfp after one loss and I consider myself extremely lucky. **TW**

As others have said, you need to consider getting a new OB and be more involved in/informed about your health.