Infertility

February 2018 IUI

Re: February 2018 IUI

• @scully127 I'm sorry for the cancelled cycle. It is interesting (and frustrating) how our bodies respond differently to the meds each month. I have only had 3-4 follicles with each IUI on 50mg of clomid but I did develop OHSS with huge ovaries and fluid in my abdomen after one cycle.

That is so interesting how the doctors all do things slightly differently. My RE wants 2-4 days of strict abstinence before an IUI which is always interesting trying to plan when we don't know when it will be...

@Chartleib - Welcome! So you did IUI with no meds? Are you doing IUI or TI this month with the Femara and injectables?

***Siggy Warning Child and Loss***

Officially diagnosed with unexplained infertility after 4 years of TTC
    IUI#2 gave us DS#1 who became an angel a few minutes after birth from Noonan syndrome
    IUI#4 gave us DS#2 - going strong as a toddler!

TTC again... Found a clinical trial for unexplained infertility and finished 16 weeks of "lifestyle intervention"
    Cycle #1 - cancelled for ovarian cyst x3...
  • I feel so behind- I was still minutely attempting to wrap-up January’s IUI. Final beta on Monday. Looks like I’m headed into IUI 2. 

@fertilizemeplease I second It Starts With The Egg. HIGHlY eximmend it for improving egg quality and knowledge surrounding fertility. While 15% success does not sound that different from intercourse, you have to remember that whatever the % is for intercourse is for normal, healthy, non-impaired fertile people. Clearly, our numbers would be much lower than that in a natural cycle. 

@FutureMrsMerati My RE is not open on the weekends. 

@scully127 Sorry for the cancelled cycle :( Take care of yourself. 

@RVAmom315  Hi :) How are you doing with this cycle?  Like, you?

AFM, negative beta today at 10dpo. One more on Monday to confirm. Then, we will WFAF & head into IUI #2. I’ll be on clomid x5 days, gonal-f 3-5 days, trigger, then prometrium 2x/day. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Officially got my BFN today so here I am, friends.  Tonight's my first night in two weeks without doing a progesterone in oil shot in the butt, so that's a nice change.  Waiting for AF to arrive now before hopping back on the crazy train for IUI #3!

TGIF and toasting you all with this glass of wine I treated myself to in honor of my hopefully-only-temporarily-empty uterus. Cheers and have a great weekend! I hope you're all doing something fun! <3 

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• ChartleibChartleib member
    edited February 2018
    @kistra Yeah, I did 5 IUIs with no meds in 2016. Now we are gonna try Femara and injections to see if that'll help. I have unexplained infertility (oh joy) and after one miscarriage and 4 failed IUIs I took a break for a year. I'll be doing an IUI.
    Me: 29 DH: 30Married 07/05/2008TTC since 09/2013IUI: Oct. 17 2015 BFN: 11/05/15IUI: June 14 2016 BFP: 07/04/16 (Miscarried07/06/16)IUI: Sep. 21 2016 BFN: 10/05/16IUI: Oct. 24 2016 BFN: 10/29/16IUI: Nov. 11 2016 BFN: 11/25/16IUI Feb. 26 2018 BFN: 03/08/18 (First IUI with meds)IUI March 26 2018 BFP: 04/10/18Furbaby: Copper (Shiba Inu) 3 years old

• Thanks everyone for the comments and thoughts. Interestingly my husband took it pretty hard today that we had cancel our cycle. Usually it is me the one who is emotional and crying, but this was the first time that he got really upset about it. Not at me, but just generally. I took him out to dinner and spent a lot of time listening to his anger, so he is a bit better now. How do your partners react to setbacks? 
  • @scully127 I’m sorry about the cancelled cycle. That’s always tough

@rooonilwaazlib Sorry about the BFN ((hugs))

@Chartleib Welcome!

@jrm_14 I’m sorry about the BFN, it’s always sucks :( I’m doing ok - just finished up meds last night, and now sitting tight until my mid cycle US on Tuesday. Got my AMH number yesterday and it was 4.09 - so relieved! Not bad for an old lady LOL!
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • Hi All. I had my 2nd IUI Friday. So I am in my 2ww. Had one big follicle at 22.5 and a small one at 12. I am now on progesterone, baby aspiin and steroid. 
    Baby dust to all 
  • Hi All. On my 2nd IUI.  Had it on Friday.. sorry if I am repeating myself. My posts keep disappearing 
    Baby dust to all 
  • @RVAmom315 that is a good AMH my only .05 so not the best.
    @scully127 yes my partner normally don't show too much emotion towards out situation but recently i can tell it's getting to him.
    @Chartleib good luck with these next IUIs are you having medicated? Has the Dr mentioned steroids and baby aspirin? 
  • @mybabylove2018 No mention of baby aspirin or steroids. Just talked about Femara and injections. I've never had medications before and I'm just a bit worried. Good vibes and prayers to all who have already had their IUIs so far!
    Me: 29 DH: 30Married 07/05/2008TTC since 09/2013IUI: Oct. 17 2015 BFN: 11/05/15IUI: June 14 2016 BFP: 07/04/16 (Miscarried07/06/16)IUI: Sep. 21 2016 BFN: 10/05/16IUI: Oct. 24 2016 BFN: 10/29/16IUI: Nov. 11 2016 BFN: 11/25/16IUI Feb. 26 2018 BFN: 03/08/18 (First IUI with meds)IUI March 26 2018 BFP: 04/10/18Furbaby: Copper (Shiba Inu) 3 years old

• @scully127 Up until this point, MH Gs been very (over) rational- “We will get it done. The doctor is going to help us. Blah blah blah.”  This was our first failed treatment cycle. He was more disappointed than I have seen him about TTC. However, that also may be his wallet worrying. 

@rvamom315 Is this your first cycle with gonal-f? Was it for 1 day? FX that your next scan goes well. Congrats on the great AMH. Are you over 35?   (Holy questions!)
  • @jrm_14 This is my third cycle with Gonal F. First cycle I did 5 days @ 75 units/day (total 375) next two just 1 day @ 150 units. Had a better response with the 2nd protocol. (Did 50 mg Clomid days 3-7 IUI #1, 100 mg Clomid days 3-7 IUI #2)

Yup I’m 38 :anguished:
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • okay ya'll... I want to poll the audience.  To recap, I'm having to monitor with OPK since my clinic doesn't do monitoring on the weekend.  I got my "high fertility" (flashing smiley) this morning.  Typically I have had one or two days flashing, then the solid.  My RE said to call if I was surging today (to schedule IUI for tomorrow).  Since the flashing smiley indicates rising estrogen and solid smiley is LH surge, I'm going to hold off on calling.  I plan to test again this evening and again in the AM.  I have an early u/s scheduled tomorrow AM.  If I get the solid smiley tonight or tomorrow AM, I'll obviously call the clinic, but otherwise, I guess we'll see what the u/s shows in the AM.  I am just afraid of messing up this timing!  

And I guess once I see the solid smiley there's no need to do the Ovidrel injection since the ovulation is already underway?  Has anyone else timed their IUI off of OPK?  Any insight?  Does my plan sound reasonable?

Sorry for the anxious rambling...

TTC History in Spoiler
    Me: 29  DH:34
    TTC 21 cycles
    All TI cycles BFN (with letrozole, ovidrel, prometrium)
    Hysteroscopy + Polypectomy + D&C on 1/3
    IUI #1 February 6, BFP 2/21, CP 2/26
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    July 2018 IVF, developed lead follicle, converted to TI, BFN
    August/September 2018 IVF converted to freeze-all: 7 mature eggs; we fertilized 3 and froze 4. 3/3 fertilized and 1 blast!
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• @wishing-and-hoping When did your clinic instruct you to take the ovidrel?  Studies show that ovidrel trigger increases the success rate of IUI vs. natural ovulation. If I were you, I’d take the trigger shot as directed. GL. FX it all works out. 
  • @Chartleib - I'm a little jealous. Both of my RE's have refused to do unmedicated IUIs. I have asked as this is the second cycle I have had cancelled for cysts. But the cysts only mean I can't take Clomid, I could still safely trigger and do the IUI itself. We have unexplained infertility as well so I ovulate every month on my own so I have wondered why we couldn't do IUI with that follie.

@scully127 My DH doesn't care one way or the other if we get pregnant. So he is only upset if I am upset. Which feels like a lot of pressure not to get upset which just makes it worse. He is awesome and says his response shouldn't affect how I feel but I feel like I am placing this huge source of disappointment and stress in our lives.
    ***Siggy Warning Child and Loss***

Officially diagnosed with unexplained infertility after 4 years of TTC
    IUI#2 gave us DS#1 who became an angel a few minutes after birth from Noonan syndrome
    IUI#4 gave us DS#2 - going strong as a toddler!

TTC again... Found a clinical trial for unexplained infertility and finished 16 weeks of "lifestyle intervention"
    Cycle #1 - cancelled for ovarian cyst x3...
  • Insurance wouldn’t cover IVI until I have tried naturally for three months.

Thankfully, It worked out that my husband is not leaving until tomorrow at 3 PM. So the doctor gave me the ovadrel shot and fingers crossed that natural will work for us this time!  The doctor actually seemed more optimistix today than last time. He seemed impressed with the quality of my ONE egg that he saw but it could also be because my husband was with me this time. I’m not sure but it’s in Gods hands!! TY for replying! And baby does to you for sure!!!
  • Hi everyone! So sorry, it was a very busy weekend. Update on the IUI - I did as the doctor instructed and stayed the course without BD the night before, and I think it was a good move. Still a little troubled by the pains I had the night before, but I did wake up with a ton of EWCM again.  Sorry for my little pre-IUI freakout :) 

In positive news, my husband and I have both been doing acupuncture for the last month and I think we're starting to see the results now! At our last IUI in late December, his washed numbers were only 7.5M which was disappointing. After a month of having acupuncture twice/week and taking some new vitamins, his washed numbers went from 7.5M to 18M this time around! We were ecstatic! 

@mybabylove2018 I'm in the 2ww with you! BD to you!

@scully127 so sorry to hear about the cancelled cycle, that is frustrating. I've got the opposite problem, where my body only produces 1-2 mature follicles from 100mg Clomid. Hopefully they'll work out the kinks and you'll be ready to go soon!

@RVAmom315 thanks for the reassurance! Let us know how your follicles look tomorrow! Fingers crossed... 
  • @FutureMrsMerati It's perfectly okay to freak out! This whole infertility crap sucks and the timing part is the worst because it feels like even 1 second past time will completely screw everything up! I'm glad his numbers doubled!!!! That's awesome!

• @jrm_14 thanks for the reply.  Ended up with flashing smiley again this morning, went to u/s appt and had an 18, 16, 15 and a bunch of 12s/13s.  There was some debate about waiting for the big ones to get bigger but they went ahead and triggered me since I'm on day 2 of flashing smiley and I typically see the solid LH surge on day 3.  We didn't want to wait to trigger until tomorrow and have my body already be surging or ovulating ahead of schedule.  Anyway, we'll do the IUI tomorrow afternoon (about 30 hrs post trigger).  Feels like nothing is going quite right on this cycle but still holding out hope of course.
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    August/September 2018 IVF converted to freeze-all: 7 mature eggs; we fertilized 3 and froze 4. 3/3 fertilized and 1 blast!
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• @wishing-and-hoping Good luck on your IUI tomorrow! It's my first time to encounter those flashing and solid smiley terms, sounds interesting and fun :smiley: What brand of OPKs are you using? I just use the cheap internet ones.

@kistra I have a similar situation with my husband. He gets so affected on how I feel. Oftentimes he gets more depressed when he sees me sad. I try really hard to hide my emotions from him and just show the good ones. It's hard.

@FutureMrsMerati  Congrats on the wonderful numbers doubling!

• @tinjp78 @kistra my husband is the same way. He often feels worse than I do when I'm upset, be it with work or fertility struggles. I find myself keeping the bad/negative things to myself since there's no use in both of us being upset if there's no solution, but I do recognize this is not super healthy. Just wanted to let you ladies know you're not alone!

• Quick question to all y'all who have done Femera (letrozole) and injectibles. What are the worst side effects? AF is going to be showing any time now and I've never been on meds before so I'm trying to prepare myself without scouring the internet for side effects, which will only freak me out. So, any suggestions or advice or things to look out for? I'd greatly appreciate y'alls input! :smile:

• @tinjp78 haha I can imagine I sound crazy if you've never seen that kind.  They're the clearblue advanced digital ovulation tests.

@Chartleib  I have taken letrozole and ovidrel.  I would say honestly headache is about the only side effect I've noticed with regularity.

AFM, had the IUI today, so much less of a "thing" than I thought it would be.  Wasn't even wearing a gown (just a sheet from the waist down as usual with u/s appts) and they did it in one of the exam rooms.  Seemed like everything went fine and RE didn't have any trouble getting to uterus this time so that was great.  I don't know what's up but I just feel so little hope this time around.  I don't know if it's all just getting to me or what.  Hoping that my rising hormones will rise me out of this funk.
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• @wishing-and-hoping Congrats on your IUI! I hope that your TWW would be relaxing and interesting. May you have fun distractions so that you won't get obsessed with the symptom spotting game, it's not so amusing in my opinion. Take care of yourself and as the author of 'It Starts with the Egg' said, treat yourself as if you were pregnant already. Keep us posted :smile:

@Chartleib Sorry I've got no experience to share about Femera nor other medications pre-IUI. I'm still on a non-medicated course. The only one I got on my last cycle was the HCG trigger shot and I got no significant side effects from it.

@FutureMrsMerati Thanks for sharing your story. I helps to know that what I'm dealing with is not an isolated case and that I'm with people who understand me truly. I hope and pray that this situation of ours would change and that our DH would be transformed for the better.
  • Update: Mid cycle U/S wasn’t great yesterday - nowhere near ready with a 12+ a 14 and a 14+. Which is strange because last cycle at this time I was 15, 17 and 18 ish. Last cycle was all my right ovary and this cycle is my left ovary, which is known to be a slow responder. So I go back Friday to see where things are (and take OPKs in the mean time just in case) If I’m good Friday we’ll probably do the IUI this weekend.

@wishing-and-hoping Glad your IUI went well. Yeah the whole process is quite anti-climactic

@Chartleib Haven’t taken letrozole but I have done injectables and the only side effects I’ve had are headache and hot flashes (and some mild insomnia) my advice is to take them at night has to sleep through most of it
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • @Chartleib So, I’m not a good person to ask about letrozole as I’m appearently allergic. This is a RARE, I repeat RARE side effect. However, with clomid+injectables, the worst thing has been a mild headache and all the feeings. All. The. Feeings. That started after the progesterone, though. 

@RVAmom315 Ugh, sorry that your US wasn’t the greatest. FX that they pick up growth & everything works out well. 

@wishing-and-hoping Glad your IUI went well!  I was surprised at how easy/fast the whole procedure went. 
  • Thanks everyone! It seems like headaches are what I should be aware of! I really appreciate y'all sharing your experiences with me. If AF doesn't show up by tomorrow I'll be shocked, so that closer it gets, the more freaked out I get. Lol. 

• @RVAmom315 Grow follies grow! GL on the upcoming IUI. 

Afm, my cycle was strangely fast this month and from my u/s yesterday, it seemed I have ovulated already (my opk the other day confirmed it already actually). We were given the option to have an IUI yesterday but Dr worried that since the timing is premature, the pregnancy might not be viable. With that said, my cycle is cancelled this month. Oh well, BD it is then.
  • @tinjp78 Oh no! That sucks I’m sorry. I hope you got some good BD sessions in before you O’d! 
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • @tinjp78 So sorry to hear that!

• @tinjp78 sorry to hear about your premature ovulation! :( Sending internet stranger hugs your way and hoping for better luck next month.

I'm holding out hopes for some good news next Friday! I started having cramps today on the left side, same side and feeling as when I had the cramping last month with the BFP followed by the chemical pregnancy. I'm also peeing more frequently, which happened last month. To me, this feeling is different (lower?) than period cramps if that makes sense. Not as painful, quicker/intermittent and sharper. Is day 6 after O too early for implantation cramping? We did BD this morning before I put the Crinone in. My doctor said it was fine, but a part of me is hoping the cramps aren't signifying we messed something up.
  • Oh, and also curious to know when in your cycles do you guys normally start testing after an IUI! 
  • @Chartleib how' it going? Is AF here? Fingers crossed for you 
  • @FutureMrsMerati Good luck! Sprinkling baby dust. I know you must be anxious and excited!
  • @futuremrsmerati Honestly I don't test. My cycles are very regular (except for this one UGH) and I usually get AF before I can test. I like to wait until I know that it wouldn't be my trigger, and that I wouldn't have to squint to see a line if I were KU.
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • Hi all. I and 6dp iui. Anyone else is the same boat?
  • @mybabylove2018 I'm 6dp IUI too! Progesterone check tomorrow.
  • @FutureMrsMerati I will typically test between days 12-14 post ovulation, not really early on.  I am already dreading / anxiously awaiting it.  I think implantation can be between 5-12 days post ovulation so fx thats what you felt!
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD

• hey by the way, did your REs/clinics give you their IUI success rates? 
    TTC History in Spoiler
    TTC 21 cycles
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD