April 2018 Moms

Symptoms thread (feb 3-9)

Week 29 with a girl (baby is the size of a pineapple) and my heartburn and acid reflux is killer as it’s been progressing for a couple of weeks now! I’ve never taken tums before and typically don’t resort to medicine right away, but I’m willing to try it. Does anyone have other recommendations?

Re: Symptoms thread (feb 3-9)

• @korpuskhristi.  Sorry, no help here, but I've known pregnant friends who lived off tums.  Sleep slightly elevated???

I myself miss a good night's sleep.  30 weeks of 2-3 hours is just exhausting and my boys aren't even here yet.  Sigh....
  • @korpuskhristi look into trigger foods, things like tomatoes spicy food etc. you might have to aim for a more bland diet. Tums helps but I’m not sure it’s a good long term solution. If you like seltzer or something like that it can give you momentary relief.
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely watch for acidic foods. They kill me - tomato based sauces kill me. Also try to sleepn elevated. If it’s really a problem, your doctor may approve Zantac! 
  • @korpuskhristi my heartburn has been awful at times. I sleep with my head up, don't lay down right after I eat, and take tums. I don't resort to meds much either!
  • @korpuskhristi If you’re open to trying essential oils, I got approval from my OB to use DigestZen from Doterra for my heartburn. I don’t ingest it, I just rub a little bit by my sternum when the heartburn comes on, and it has worked wonders!! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

• My biggest symptom : super, super, extreme fatigue. I'm literally sleeping anytime I'm not at work. I haven't tested anemic, but I'm so useless when I don't have responsibilities - any tips?
  • @korpuskhristi I take Zantac every night, and on bad days my OB said to up it to one in the morning and one at night. In between if desperate I do tums. Hang in there!
  • @priestess619 No tips, just commiseration - I'm so beat by the end of the day. It's way worse than 1st trimester fatigue for me. MH commented the other day that he was looking forward to me having energy again, and I can't agree more!
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Try drinking water before you eat.
  • @hedgepig I didn't know I was pregnant the entire first trimester, so needless to say this is the first time I've even run into it! If I don't get a nap in mid day I'm miserable, but a half caff coffee in the morning and one mid day instead of one fully caffeinated in the morning is -slightly- doing the trick  :D only a little more time left !
  • My biggest symptom : super, super, extreme fatigue. I'm literally sleeping anytime I'm not at work. I haven't tested anemic, but I'm so useless when I don't have responsibilities - any tips?
    Chocolate!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @korpuskhristi - try different things as mentioned by others. What’s helped me is elevating the head of the bed with 2x4s, taking Omeprazole OTC (approved by OB) in the morning (empty stomach and don’t eat for a period of time afterwards). Eat breakfast and take vitamins. I’m taking a tums at bedtime and usually take more through the night. Still have a little reflux but better than without any interventions. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was struggling with a reflux cough that turned into laryngitis. I have a hiatal hernia and damage from reflux so my doc put me back on protonix. It’s been so much better!! I have a voice again and I can sleep without coughing (and peeing) all night!
  • Also Gaviscon at bedtime when things were rough worked way better than tums!
  • I agree the exhaustion is hard to deal with! I chalk it all up to this being my second therefore having to come home from work to a toddler. I am counting down my actual work days left! 
    My biggest symptom though is the pelvic pain! I can barely get in/out of car, bed, certain positions, and stairs are killing me. I never had any pelvic pain with my first. I've been using ice/heat pads, baths, belly band, very careful slow movements but there are times it brings tears it hurts so bad. 
  • I agree with the exhaustion. I took a nap today and when I got up I wanted to go back to sleep. 

Last night I rolled over too fast and got some RLP that hurt so much I thought it would never go away. Luckily it did. 
  • Insomnia is in full force. I don't sleep more than a couple hours at a time now.
  • Im with @Puddlewonderful. I'm on Zantac now at night and if it's really bad I take one early in the day. It's to the point where water causes heartburn sometimes and Zantac has been a lifesaver. Tums doesn't even work for me anymore. 
  • @aabbaby I have had pretty bad pelvic pain this pregnancy as well. Never had it with my first, my second I did a bit but this one being my 3rd it's been pretty bad. This baby is head down and sitting LOW I believe (although I feel him up high too). It's getting worse as the pregnancy progresses and I find it worse if I'm on me feet more often. I sell homemade baked goods out my house so it's hard to avoid. Will be stopping mid March though because I'm already in so much pain. :-( 
  • Where do I start?!
    I'm living off heartburn chews after I eat and before bed.
    The worst hip and leg pain during the night. My snoring is becoming unbearable apparently also :dizzy:
    Shortness of breath.
    I think my baby girl is tap dancing on my bladder because I spend most of my time on the loo at the moment.
    I cry a lot over nothing and get super angry over the smallest things.
    I know she still needs at least 8 weeks to cook but I'm getting to the stage where it's just not fun. I'm so unbelievably grateful to have my healthy and beautiful babies, but I'm not a women that does well being pregnant. All three of my pregnancies couldn't have gone quick enough!
  • the heart burn.  OH THE HEARTBURN.  I literally spent the other night puking up acid water.  the only thing i can stomach right now is smoothies!  anyone have any good smoothie recipes?  
  • @mmmmkay I don't have proportions but my favorite is :
    Spinache/kale (the more the better!)
    Banana
    Mixed berries 
    Honey greek yogurt (helps me with heartburn and gets a little sweet in it since mine tend to be very spinachey haha).
    I just use water as a base and throw it all in the nutribullet. Pretty basic but very heartburn friendly !
  • thanks @priestess619.  smoothies are about the only thing that sounds good right now!  
  • @priestess619 I have that exact smoothie every morning! I got on a green smoothie (with fruit) kick about 2.5 years ago and never got off haha. I'll swap out some of the fruit depending on what's in season or on sale (sometimes frozen). Love them!
  • 31w5d....killer heartburn but luckily it’s easily controlled with tums during the day and Zantac at night. Started to get some rib pain as he gets bigger. Exhausted. But the worst thing is horrible lower back pain, so bad I can barely walk sometimes. Counting down the days until I can move again! But other than that I feel pretty good ha
    Me: 27 DH: 29
    Baby #1 - DD 8/29/16
    Baby #2 - EDD 4/6/18

• @sdavis2189 the rib pain is such a drag! Mines on the right and not terrible but just there constantly. 

Finally feeling "generally uncomfortable" and my thighs,pelvis,knees, and shinsare feeling her extra weight!
  • Tuesday night I went to sleep feeling fine and woke up yesterday with awful hip pain (the right hip only). I figured it might be time for a wedge under the bump, so I tried that last night and woke up with no relief - still the same hip pain. Pregnancy body pillow is not an affordable option for me... but what have you all done for this type of pain?
  • @lily121312 it sounds strange but I get on all fours and rock. I can't really suggest anything else. I have the same hip and leg pains during the night. It helps with the groin pain I've been suffering from too.
  • @lily121312 I was having the same issues that finally escalated to the point where it not only hurt at night but was hurting during the day and the last straw was I could hardly walk without it hurting. Mostly in the right hip. I have been going to the chiropractor for the last 3 weeks and now only have occasional pain. But they did give me a stretch that helps a lot. You sit on a chair and bring your leg up to the opposite knee, lean toward slightly and push down on your knee. Yesterday she also said I could sit on a tennis size ball and move around so it messages the muscles in that area and loosen them up. I haven't had time to try it though.
  • @luna8433 thanks for sharing! I mentioned the pain to a friend who is a nurse with maternity experience and she suggested sleeping with my leg bent and on a bulky pillow  (so that both legs aren't parallel) and that seemed to help a lot. That same person also suggested that the pain is actually sciatica. I thought that only happened in the back! I might try the tennis ball trick if the pain comes back or gets worse...
  • I had a terrible foot cramp tonight. And some mornings when I wake up my calf will cramp while I stretch.