June 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Strollers Edition w/o Oct 16

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Strollers Edition w/o Oct 16

• @helenbz You can get away without a stroller for sure. I only really used my with my first if I was taking her to the zoo or mall. I used it more with my second because I would just pop his bucket car seat in the stroller base when I took DD to the park or children’s museum. Now I use the stroller more because it’s the easiest way to contain two toddlers in public by myself. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • For S+TMs:
    • What's your primary terrain? (Urban, suburban, rural, etc.): suburban 
    • Favorite [stroller]: Graco Aire 3
    • Link/picture:

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): ~$100usd as a stand alone, closer to 200 for the travel system
    • What you like about it: so super easy to fold. Easy to open. When folded is rather compact. Great storage underneath (will hold my middle schoolers jam packed back-pack after school). The handle has 2 built in cup holders, as well as a zippered compartment,  which was great for keys/wallet. Lightweight. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: that I now need to find a double stroller I adore as much. 
    • Is there a [stroller] you don't have but are considering? Why?:not yet.  
    • Is there a [stroller] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: the stroller that came with my original travel system. It was great while baby needed to be in the carseat, but was hard to fold, and didn't travel well at all. 
    • Additional thoughts on [stroller]:
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the Travel system that includes the Chicco keyfit and our stroller is the Chicco Viaro. I wondered how much as a rural dweller I would use the stroller and the answer is, I use it a lot. 

I loved my keyfit and will reuse it for #2 because it isn’t out of date yet. 

I registered for the Bravo but my dad bought me the Viaro instead. I like that stroller a lot, it’s very sturdy and easy to operate. My biggest complaint is that the back wheels stick out and get caught on things a lot. I’m pretty satisfied with the Chicco brand as a whole (though I also really like the Graco 4ever car seat we upgraded to) and will probably buy one of their double stroller to accommodate our growing babies.

https://www.target.com/p/chicco-174-viaro-stroller-graphite/-/A-51282122?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9012513&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyZLSBRDpARIsAH66VQIwSbxc6fU_kjhtnRR4B8e89m7YwotCK7Geq258qXmv4-C9-Xqr37EaAvueEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista You do? When/where do you find you use it? It seems strange not to get one...but I really can’t imagine where I’d use it. I’d be interested in how you found it most useful. 
  • Austenista  Austenista member
    edited December 2017
    @helenbz I’m a SAHM and so my kid goes with me everywhere. A big one is when I have to go to the doctor’s office for myself, or stores without buggies, walking for exercise, when we were buying our house I put him in there a lot to keep him contained. Going to an event like the 4th of July in the city square. Outlet mall shopping too. I mean I’ve used the crap out of it and I was like you thinking I wouldn’t need it much because of grocery carts. Also, baby carriers are super heavy with a baby inside. Real heavy. Baby wearing is another option and sometimes I do that, but my stroller holds my diaper bag, all my crap, him, everything I purchase/need/and so on and it really is just necessary to my life. Also, register or buy yourself a mommy hook for your stroller, it’s perfectly designed to hold heavy bags if you’re out shopping. 

ETA Another big one: going to the bathroom. Before they can walk, the stroller is my solution for me to go to the bathroom. Once they’re out of the carrier, you can’t just push a shopping cart into the bathroom with you. Are you going to try to hold them or set them in the floor? And you gotta go! Stroller will save your life and your bladder. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista Thank you, that’s helpful! 

I can definitely see the advantage of having something to hold my stuff and the baby for sure. We don’t have any malls or stores without carts that you’d have to walk around much in...except maybe Barnes&Noble. There are outdoor activities like the midnight sun festival and the fair but only in the summer which is over by mid-late August. After that, it’ll be cold and I don’t tend to walk around much at all when it’s cold unless we go to Anchorage where there is a mall or to the lower 48. 

This might be a stupid question...but if I get one for this summer when baby is newborn, can I still use it when they are a toddler? Is there a good stroller that works for both and travels well? 

• @helenbz yes. Mine is the type that the carrier snaps in and also you can seat a toddler in. That’s how I use it now. I’d say most of them are like that unless you’re looking at a lightweight umbrella type stroller. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • FYI for those interested in the Uppababy Vista, they are coming out with a 2018 model in February. The major differences are that the colors that had foam handles in 2017, like Jake, will now have leather, the bassinet is will be two inches longer and there are other colors/fabrics available. These updates are negligible IMHO and I would think with the new model available sites/stores will be discounting the 2017. I just found a 2017 floor model on sale for $700, I'm assuming they are getting their 2018 models in. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @krashke I think most stores have said March for the 2018s to ship. I’m actually into the 2018 model because it has more flame-retardant-free options. I might go 2017 if DH will agree to the Henry (....uhhh or is the name Gregory? Whatever that light blue/grey is) which is the 2017 one. But I think in 2018 they also have a dark grey, light grey and light green with the same fabric situation. I believe uppababy is the only stroller with zero flame retardant materials, but haven’t looked that deeply into it since I know I like that stroller. Also apparently the wheels will be improved but idgaf about that. The longer bassinet appeals to me since we’ll be trying that for sleep with the stand.  (...I mean, unless we move to a house in CA. Don’t want the universe to forget about my dream... lol)
  • krash_krash_ member
    edited December 2017
    @doxiemoxie212 I get the chemical free options are good but I'm willing to forgo it to save a little. I don't know much about it to be honest but I would think as long as the kid isn't like sucking on the fabric they would be fine. 

ETA: again I don't know the specifics and I know they have some wool fabrics that are naturally flame retardant but this is from their website: "All UPPAbaby products meet all applicable flame retardancy standards without these potentially harmful chemicals."
    *TW LC*

• @doxiemoxie212 somewhat related questions, how does YH feel about the leather? I think you've mentioned before that he is more particular with that being veg.
    *TW LC*

• @krashke so the fully naturally-flame-retardant materials is ONLY that light blue right now I mentioned, they're getting more colors in 2018 that will have more. Their wording is a little misleading on their website. For instance, I think only in 2018 is the Mesa carseat getting that same fabric. As far as leather.... oh lord. It was WW3 when he noticed the leather. My argument is that he has said can still buy leather. Like, he has no problem with me buying leather shoes for myself or belts or bags or whatever. So I'm saying the stroller is mine, not the baby's. Which he's on board for, but then he was like, "Okay, I'm getting my own stroller, and I'm never using that one." Even if cost weren't something to be concerned about, we do not have room to store all these stupid strollers. So right now I'm just yes yes, sure honeying him, and hoping he just ends up being too lazy to order "his own stroller." Siiiiiiiiigh. 
  • For those of you considering uppababy and the new models. DS was a September baby but I wanted the car seat earlier (August). Uppababy did not ship new models on time. We ordered both the Cruz and Mesa early and it took months to get them because of production delays. Just something to pay attention to. 
  • On the topic of Uppababy... Does anyone one know if the 2018 version is available for pre-order?  I saw a couple of third party sites that lets you do it but I've never really heard of them and didn't know if BBB lets you pre-order or not.
  • @becca_123 it is at some stores. I think MBeans and Albeebaby specifically, but those are east coast stores (with free shipping, though, I believe).
  • Don't mind my thread resurrection. I'm almost certain we're going with the City Select Lux so we have a double for a second kid. Anyone use this one IRL? It tested great in the store and felt better than the regular City Select to us (and is the same price on Amazon). 

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • @icecubeinthedesert resurrect the threads! That's why we have the links saved in the google doc! :) 
  • @sunshineandwhiskey That sounds beautiful!!!  I have loved my City Mini GT, but now with the need for a double I sure wish I had the Select.  Now I'm debating getting the Select w. a second seat, getting the City Mini GT double, or maybe just getting nothing at all.
  • We went to BRU yesterday just to wander around and I got to check out the City Minis. I had a preference for them online and seeing them in person I loved them even more. I totally see the reasoning some have to get the Select instead but my husband just couldn't justify spending that much on a stroller when we don't know when we'll have more children yet and I kinda agree. I also liked that the mini was much lighter and since they seem to hold their value pretty good I figure if I want I can sell it at a later date to get the double version. Anyone have experience with the regular City Mini vs the GT? The wheels were definitely nicer but I'm wondering if that's really worth $100 for what I'll need it for.

Also kinda related but maybe should go in carseasts thread... But if anyone has the BabyJogger strollers did you get the travel system that comes with their infant car seat?  I know that they adaptors for other brands but it seems more complicated/expensive that way haha. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @sunshineandwhiskey The city select is on our shortlist!! We dont know if well have a second baby but I like the option to make it a double just in case... And for resale value.
  • Question for STM+s ... 

My DD will be 2.5 yo when # 2 arrives. And she loves to walk, run, jog, etc. Or if we are going to the market, just sit in the wagon. When we bought our stroller,  we got the UPPABaby Cruz, not the Vista as we thought we were one and done.  As a result, i have no way to add a 2nd seat (and she's 35lbs plus anyway), but was thinking about just getting a piggy back board. 

My question is... when did your LOs give up the stroller completely and will I definitely need to invest in a double?

Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @rnielsen321 - my 4.5 year old and 3 year old still like sitting in the side by side stroller.  I don't use it often - zoo, festivals, etc.  But they're also kids that like to run away from me, so I use it when I need them to settle down and stay put (provide them a snack but they need to stay seated).  Other kids may not like the stroller as much.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @rnielsen321 DD hated using the stroller until she saw her brother riding in on and then she *needed* to ride. I waited about 6 month before getting a double but DD was constantly crawling into the storage space under the stroller in that time. 
  • Went to BBB today and I'm torn between the City Mini GT and the Peg Perego Booklet (both as the travel systems with infant car seat). The City Mini has great wheels, but barely any storage. It's also fairly heavy and I struggled to open it without it kind of flopping all over. The Peg has excellent car seat ratings and is really light. It also folds and unfolds easily. And has a larger storage basket. The wheels are nice but don't seem as rugged. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm 5'8", MH is 6'3". I am planning on getting an actual jogging stroller next year as well, so that may take care of my want for more rugged wheels....

This stroller stuff is soooo overwhelming!! 
  • BurlapandLaceBurlapandLace member
    edited February 2018
    Well I just discovered this and now I am rethinking getting a double stroller. Might just get this instead. But I’m not sure yet. Thought I would share! 

https://www.goveer.com/cruisers/ 

ETA picture 

• GAH!!!! @BurlapandLace THAT is a game changer for me. 

MY DD loves being in the wagon, so much so we basically gave up the stroller the majority of the time. She will be 2y8mos plus when DS arrives... and that may just be the best option!

We have a Cruz, as we thought we were one and done. And I love it. And the only option is the piggy back to extend. We didn't get the Vista, as the Bassinet would have been near to useless for my big/long fast growing babies, like I said, one and done. At the time. 

Man, now I need to research research, budget, plea and research. 

Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @BurlapandLace Oh. My. God.  I WANT THAT.  and they do monthly payments hahaha 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @rnielsen321 Sorry, just now seeing your question. There are 26 months between DD & DS and I would wear him, while she rode in the stroller. Once she turned 3, she decided that strollers were for babies and even though she would occasionally complain about wanting in, she never stayed in it after that for more than a few minutes at a time. I am just now investing in a double stroller, since DS1 & DS2 will be a little closer in age. 
  • Thanks @kfren
     Budget wise I think we are headed for Lillebaby All Seasons carrier. We are thinking at the moment, we will be keeping DD in full time daycare, so perhaps that will minimize the need for a double. And places rent them too, riight? 
  • @rnielsen321 @sunshineandwhiskey ~ I know right?! DS will be three and I have been seriously debating the double stroller because I’m not sure how often we will use it and I don’t know how long DS will actually sit in a stroller. I think with this he would be more willing to sit in it without a fight. Plus it’s just an adapter for whatever infant car seat you have! Then once #2 is older, you can remove the car seat adapter and they can both sit (strapped in!) to the wagon. Serious game changer. I think we would get more long term use out of this than a double stroller. 
  • I'm not sure specifics, but we got a stroller for free - 3 wheel, Graco - does all carseats/bucket seats fit to the proper name brand?
    Ex: We're being given a barely used carseat. If it's also a Graco, would it automatically fit the stroller or does it have to be more specific?

I'll have to check stroller info, but we don't have carseat yet {it's en route to us}
  • @MissKittyDanger I think you should be ok. We have only had Gracos and have not had any problems. 
  • @kfren Oh good. I'm not sure carseat brand we're getting, but I'm pretty sure it's Graco :) I didn't really want to have to buy another car seat lol ;)
  • @rnielsen321 DD gave up the stroller around 3.5 years old. She preferred to be out and walking around on her own most of the time. If we used anything, it was the cheap umbrella stroller we bought at Walmart to get us by if we were going to be doing a lot of walking around and knew she'd need a break.

I didn't respond to this initial thread but the stroller we have is this Kolcraft one which they don't make anymore. Guessing it's because there was issues with the front tires being recalled. We got the replacement tire after the recall just in case but haven't had any issues. Planning to continue using this stroller for baby #2.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited February 2018
    Sorry, I meant if it is a Graco, you should be ok. You may have some luck with another brand, though.  
  • @BurlapandLace I completely agree. We live across from our neighborhood pool and we have Zoo/aquarium memberships and I think that would be a TOTAL game changer. Thanks for posting! 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Question...I sort of asked this on another board but they redirected me here/didn't completely answer my question.  This seems like a better place for it anyway.  We received a jogging stroller for Christmas - this or something extremely similar - along with an attachment so that we can snap a carseat into it.  I have on my registry a Chicco Bravo travel system (stroller + carseat + caseat base, carseat can clip into stroller).  STM+, what are your opinions on how necessary this is?  Will the jogging stroller work fine for all stroller needs (besides maybe an umbrella stroller when baby is a little older) or do you think the Chicco stroller will collapse down better?  The jogging stroller folds up of course but with those big tires I'm worried we might want something more compact.  Although I'm not sure how much more compact the Chicco stroller will be....  Any advice??
  • @taykc90 Does the travel system you registered for have an option where the stroller works as just a base of the car seat? That’s the only part of the travel system stroller I really used. It was light weight and folded much smaller than a whole stroller with car seat snaps. 

• dinodna3 said:
    @taykc90 Does the travel system you registered for have an option where the stroller works as just a base of the car seat? That’s the only part of the travel system stroller I really used. It was light weight and folded much smaller than a whole stroller with car seat snaps. 

@dinodna3 yes it does. But I would hope I don’t only use that part of it, seems like a waste otherwise :/ obviously that’s all we’ll use at first but when baby is a little older and outgrows infant car seat I would think we’ll use the stroller part of it? Glad to hear the car seat holder version is worth it though.