Infertility

First IVF Egg Retrieval & feeling nervous & nauseated

Hi everyone, 
I just completed my first egg retrieval earlier today--7 eggs (low AMH; 38yrs old)--feel OK about the amount retrieved considering my low ovarian reserve and all. I was feeling perfectly fine emotionally before the retrieval, but am not filled with anxiety! First IVF jitters, I suppose. What is really disconcerting at the moment, though, is how horrible I feel! I was expecting to teach tomorrow, but the intermittent cramping, combined with bloating and nausea has me really wondering if I can make it through the day tomorrow. Did anyone else struggle with nausea, in particular? It's kind of awful. 

Re: First IVF Egg Retrieval & feeling nervous & nauseated

• Above, I wrote "I am not filled with anxiety" when i meant to write "I am NOW filled with anxiety." haha kind of funny. . . 
  • I haven’t had this experience but I can understand why you might feel anxious. Every step of this process makes me anxious and I am shocked each time by my emotional reaction (I am not typically emotional). 

I am also in education and this whole process is causing me to take more time for myself. It’s so easy to keep showing up for others and it’s vital as a teacher. At the same time, these are huge steps and it’s physi and emotional. 

Wishing you the best ❤️
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for this note! I have lurking around these message boards for so long now--I am glad I finally joined the conversation. Infertility is lonely AF, but maybe it doesn't have to be. <3
  • My thoughts exactly. I posted for the first time yesterday. I have been talking about this journey with people but no matter how helpful they try to be, they can’t understand this. I am glad this exists. 
  • True. I had an online therapist that actually told me to stop hanging out with pregnant/fertile friends. ha! So, yes, it is great to have a place where people get the complexity of the situation. Onward!! 
  • Hi there, first of all - congrats on getting through the ER and getting 7 little eggs! You should be very proud of yourself - ivf is a very tough process so never underestimate what you have already done <3
    I know some people suffer nausea after the surgery - I believe that is due to the anaesthetic so it should lift in ~12 hours as it leaves your system. Similarly for the cramps - it was a surgical procedure so it can leave you with pain. Can you take any extra painkillers? Ideally something that's gentle on the stomach. If you can get out of work tomorrow - do. I know that might sound easy to say, but you deserve to take care of yourself - your body has been through trauma. The physical symptoms should lift, but the emotional ones are a little harder to deal with. I found the days after ER very stressful as I was waiting for phonecalls for the fertilization results. I understand your anxiety; you sound like you've been so strong throughout this, but none of us are machines - the emotions come for us all in the end :wink:
    Take care and best of luck on the remainder of your journey.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me 39, DH 40
    Married Oct 2010, TTC ~7yrs
    Seeing RE since Spring 2013
    Clomid - no response
    Letrozole (6 months) 2015 
    Laperoscopy/Hysteroscopy in 2015
    Puregon injectibles + trigger x5 in 2016 - all BFN
    Started IVF March 2017 - 25 follies, 9 eggs, 3 fertilised, 1 survived-> frozen due to hyper stimulation of ovaries
    FET May 16th 2017, BFP May 27th 2017, m/c @ 9wks
    IVF #2 February 2018 - 16 eggs, 8 fertilised, 3 frozen embabies
    Awaiting FET April 2018 - cancelled (cyst)
    FET May 2018, BFP June 2nd 2018, m/c @ 8wks
    FET October 2018 - BFN
    Final FET - late November 2018

• @PosieJ Congrats in your 7 eggs!!
     I felt the same way after my ER I pretty much felt Like crap for about 2 full days by day 3 I felt better but not 100% yet. My stomach was upset, I was sore , and felt bloated as hell! Make sure you try to stay as hyrated as possible. I literally was forcing Gatorade and food down the first few days after my ER. If you’re not feeling well you should stay home and rest. You’re body is recovering and if it’s telling your you’re not feeling well listen to it. As for the anxiety we all know how that feels and it sucks. Did you get your fertilization report yet today? maybe that will help ease the stress.
  • Hopefully your nausea subsided and was just a side effect from the anesthesia!  
  • So good to know you felt awful after ER, as well @ndz2018. I am much better today. Took the day off work today and am just taking it easy. The nausea is gone, but still feel really gassy, but not nearly as bad I felt last night. Drinking Gatorade, grading, reading. . . not so bad.
    And I did get my egg report! 6 fertilized, which, considering my low amh and age, has me rather pleased! One day at a time! 
  • @PosieJ Your physical symptoms and emotional feelings are completely normal. I felt like I was on an emotional roller coaster during the egg retrieval and waiting for all the results. Then it starts all over again for the embryo transfer! This community is absolutely fantastic. I'm not sure if you are doing a fresh or frozen transfer, but I highly recommend jumping into one of the IVF/FET threads. These ladies have saved me from many, many therapy bills ;)
    Me: 35 DH: 28
    TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
    Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
    October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
    29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
    Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
    12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
    2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
    ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
    Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
    Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
    12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Our journey has come to an end.
    ~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~