September 2018 Moms
Options

C/S Momma Support Thread - 1/26

I had a few ladies here indicate interest. Going to do my best coming up with reasonable things here-feel free to make suggestions!

*Please assume a blanket TW on surgical delivery and birth trauma here, please be kind to yourself and only read/participate if this is helpful for you

This thread is being made for support for any momma who has had or is planning to have a c-section. We'll get all S+TMs at first, but FTMs will likely start joining as we all progress. We support VBACs (vaginal birth after cesarean) as well as RCS (repeat c-section) for any reason that the momma has. We want to support the mom's health and desires.

*ETA one more question

How many previous births and types or FTM?

Reasons for previous or future c-sections?

Did you feel pressured into any of your deliveries?

Did you experience any trauma that you wish to discuss?

Rants & Raves about your c-section(s)?

Any tips/products that aided recovery?

Planning for VBAC or RCS for current pregnancy

How comfortable do you feel with your current provider and their support of your birth plans?

What do you hope to gain from this group?
1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
Team green turned BLUE!
2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
Team green turned PINK!
Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: C/S Momma Support Thread - 1/26

• Options
    1 previous birth, c-section
    Breech baby
    Yes, I wanted to try to turn baby or attempt vaginal delivery FIRST, and doctors refused these options.
    Yes. I won't go into everything, but my c-section was unmedicated, so I felt everything. They also over-hydrated me (and therefore baby), so that he had wet lungs and spent a week on a ventilator
    Rants: uhm, un-medicated, and was told it was my only option. 
    Raves: husband was able to announce the sex, they allowed him to trim up umbilical cord and hold baby in OR, and whatever drug they eventually gave me when they were stitching me up afterwards was awesome - I went right out, woke up in 2 hours and wasn't groggy or sick feeling at all. Also, they used surgical glue on my outer incision, and it looks great.
    Belly band given to me from the hospital, that helped for the first few weeks for support. TAKE GAS MEDS as soon as you can afterwards, because surgery causes gas, which causes extra pain. Also, take the colace, my first postpartum poop wasn't terrible. Get up and walk (very very slowly) as soon as you can. Listen to your body, get help with stairs, driving, etc, but make sure to move within your comfort limits as much as you can. 
    Planning for a VBAC or RCS for current pregnancy?
    Definitely planning for a VBAC, at home hopefully
    How comfortable do you feel with your current provider and their support of your birth plans?
    Not sure yet, haven't yet seen any provider. I'm considering dual care - an OB with a hospital, so I can do all normal testing, etc, plus a homebirth midwife that we can hopefully deliver with. This way, if I have a medical need to have a c-section again, or too many risks for a home birth, I have a doctor that I trust and feel comfortable with to go to.
    Hoping to get VBAC support and stories of previous VBACs. Hoping to also gain more knowledge on things to help out with healing if I end up needing a repeat section.
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    How many previous births and types or FTM? One, c-section

Reasons for previous or future c-sections? I was induced a few days before the due date because of gestational diabetes. My labor didn't progress, so after DAYS I finally couldn't take it anymore and had the c-section (the docs said neither me nor the baby were in danger at the time, so I could have waited longer if I wanted, but that after failure to progress for that long it was very unlikely that I would progress). 

Did you feel pressured into any of your deliveries? No. My tip for other mom's is to have the conversation with your ob well before you go into labor: ask when they do c-sections and for what reasons, and if they see any reason you'd be at an increased risk. My docs gave a great little speech about how to them a c-section was a medically necessary last resort.

Did you experience any trauma that you wish to discuss? No trauma. They took a few tries to get the epidural right which was a bit traumatic, but that wasn't c-section related. And it was a little off-center, so I was just a little less numb on one side than the other. 

Rants & Raves about your c-section(s)? They did a great job, and it went probably as smoothly as possible. I did have the shakes...like an extreme shiver..throughout the whole thing which was TERRIBLE but apparently fairly normal. 

Any tips/products that aided recovery? Recovery is TERRIBLE! Don't have a c-section unless it's medically necessary, it's major surgery! I just did what they told me--only took the pain meds as needed, was up walking ASAP, etc. 

Planning for VBAC or RCS for current pregnancy. I'd love to have a VBAC. I'll likely need to be induced again this time, so we'll see if it takes or not this time!

How comfortable do you feel with your current provider and their support of your birth plans? Yes, absolutely.

What do you hope to gain from this group? Be able to share my experience with others, get healing techniques if I end up having another c-section, and to make sure everyone feels empowered to have an honest conversation with their doc about c-section!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How many previous birth and types or FTM? 4 births; 1st vaginally 2nd induction vaginally 3rd and 4th twins baby a vaginally and baby b emergency c-section.

Reason for previous and future c-section? Because I was having twins I had to give birth in an OR for safety precaution Incase of emergency c-section. I was able to deliver baby A who was head down vaginally. After I delivered baby a my doctor took an ultrasound to find where baby B was located. He was breached but my doctor was going to let me deliver baby B vaginally. He grabbed baby B's leg then proceeded to break my water. When my water broke baby B's leg wiggles out of the doctor's hand and landed right by his head. The doctor and his team swiftly prepared for an emergency c-section.

Did you feel any pressure into any of your deliveries? no

Did you have any trauma you wish to discuss? no

Rants or raves about your c-section? My doctor did a wonderful job no complaints here.

Any tips/products that aided recovery? take your pain medication when they give it to you also walk as soon as you can it will help with recovery. Also take your stool softener they give you the first poop is the hardest on you. And your legs will be swollen after delivery it takes time to get them back down but use compression socks to help with that too.

Planning for VBAC or RCS his pregnancy? I will be having a RCS. I would love to try VBAC but my doctor had to give me the vertical or classic cut so I cannot try for one. It's to risky to try to have a VBAC with the classic cut. I'm confident in in my doctor's decision and that he will do a good job on my coming c-section.

how confident do you feel with your provider handling your birth plan? confident as can be he did a great job with my twin pregnancy delivery and I know he will do a good job this time around as well.

what do you hope to gain from this group? i want to be able to share my experiences. Birth of a baby is a beautiful thing and there is no such thing as the easy way out. Plus it will be nice to chat with others going thru the same thing.
  • Options
    How many previous births and types or FTM? 1 emergency c-section

Reasons for previous or future c-sections? Her heart rate kept decelerating so eventually had emergency c-section- the cord ended up wrapped around her head and shoulder 

Did you feel pressured into any of your deliveries? No- it all went so fast 

Did you experience any trauma that you wish to discuss? No trauma really- it was all just so fast. In triage when checking how far I was dialated they had to keep finding different people with longer fingers! Did not enjoy that part one bit. 

used a pillow when sitting down and standing up which helped - just followed drs instructions 

not sure- will have to discuss with my doctor if we get that far. 

How comfortable do you feel with your current provider and their support of your birth plans? I like them. 

What do you hope to gain from this group? Nice to chat with others who have experienced similar experiences. 
  • Options
    I just wanted to say I'm so glad to have people to chat with about this stuff, and so glad that you guys generally didn't have trauma! Let's all hope for great deliveries this time!
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    1 cesarean 

i requested it after 2.5 hours of pushing with baby’s heart rate falling every time I did push. I had a gut feeling I needed one but didn’t ask until I’d pushed for awhile, and for baby’s sake so glad I (eventually) requested it. 

no

yes. I’m kind of a horror story, because 9 months after birth we discovered they’d accidentally left a sponge inside me. I had no symptoms but it could have been deadly. So I had to have another surgery to remove that. 

rants: uh the sponge haha. Recovery was no joke either. 
    Raves: I think the c-section made my sons birth significantly less traumatic and honestly less dangerous than it could’ve been for him. They had to revive him after pulling him out and I keep myself up at night wondering how bad it would have been if I had delivered him vaginally. The doctors all told me I had made the right call. Also he was a 9 pounder so... at the end of the day I love my c-section. 

So much rest. Take all the help you can get and don’t be shy about asking for it. 

I’d much prefer a vbac but am at peace with the possibility of an rcs. 

Very

people who understand!
  • Options
    @embri12 oh my!! How did you figure out that it was still inside?? 
  • Options
    @embri12 That sounds awful, the whole sponge thing. I mean, I'm glad you made the right decision for surgery, but how the hell did they not notice the sponge. Ick, I'm hoping that it didn't cause any further issues after having it removed?
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Bear14+ I was cramping and massaging to ease the pain and felt something big and hard on the left side of my stomach area. I was pretty sure I had cancer or something, which was of course tons of fun to think for the few days it took to figure out what was going on, but my body had encapsulated the sponge in tissue to protect me. (I’ve never been so grateful for my body before!)

@pourmeamocktail No complications that we’ve found yet! There was a little bit of concern that I might struggle to get pregnant again because the growth had attached to my left ovary, but I’m 8 weeks 5 days today :)
  • Options
    @embri12 omg! My c section was evidently the fastest ever done at my hospital (like 19 seconds or something between 1st cut and baby out) and they did an X-ray to make sure they didn’t leave anything inside me, I was so sure they were just running up the bill and didn’t think that actually happened! 

1 birth, emergency cesarean 

Reasons for previous or future c-sections? DD wasn’t tolerating pushing, heart rate kept dropping but I think the sensor just moved around too much 

yes, I was pretty adamant about an unmedicated birth and skin on skin, delayed cord cutting (to be performed by DH) etc but was forced into the c section. Put me under, woke up a few hours later and finally got to hold my baby. 

Did you experience any trauma that you wish to discuss? Not necessarily true medical trauma but I had a lot of negative emotions surrounding the experience, am obviously still quite upset about how it went down. I put so much work into a very calm, zen labor and had it ripped away. PLUS they cut my daughters back and later a nurse asked me what I did to her. Ummm Biatch I did not do that.  She still has a scar. 

This whole thing is basically a rant lol. I fully believe(d) I could have gone all the way had they let me push standing/squatting rather than on my back. Especially since after the fact the doctor could offer no explanation why my DDs heart rate dropped , agreed it was possible the sensor had just moved, and suggested my pelvis was too small to birth a baby. 

Any tips/products that aided recovery? Definitely a small firm pillow to help with getting up and to apply when coughing/laughing. Squatty potty and colace/whatever because that first time is not pleasant. Someone from my first BMB called it ass glass and that was pretty accurate albeit disgusting. 

RCS

How comfortable do you feel with your current provider and their support of your birth plans? Not very comfortable...she and her staff didn’t handle my recent miscarriage well. I tried to switch to a different practice but they aren’t accepting new patients yet. 

What do you hope to gain from this group? Not really sure, just feels good to vent
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    1 - C-Section

I have IBS (no symptoms of it until delivery apparently).  Due to that one of the muscles that is supposed to relax to allow baby to move down - doesn't for me.  So with every push baby just pops right back up.  After being in labor 18 hours my doctor realized I was at the point I really couldn't go anymore and we were making no progress.

Not at all.  We were at the point we had tried and it just wasn't working.  

We didn't realize I had a heart valve issue and after the c-section I was given constant IV fluids.  I was discharged and re-admitted to the cardiac unit 7 days after birth.  All the fluids had caused my heart to slow down to a point it was barely going.  That was pretty traumatic at the time.  

I complained many times about my swelling being excessive.  I was told to keep drinking water and keep my feet up.  Had I kept drinking water it could have been very bad.  Everyone thought I was just a worried first time mom and didn't know what to expect.  

Raves - my incision was great!  It was nearly healed when I was re-hospitalized.  They all when on about how great it was.  I can't even see it now.  Recovery from the c-section wasn't terrible for me.  The first week was hard, but I remember the medicine keeping the pain under control pretty well.

Stay on top of the pain medication schedule!  Having a pillow to press against when getting up/sneezing/coughing was so helpful.  

We really haven't discussed this yet.  At my 6 week post delivery appointment 5 years ago she said to expect a RCS for any more deliveries, but its a discussion I want to go into further detail about now.

Completely.  

Tips for recovery and being able to talk to others who are going through similar experiences.
  • Options
    @embri12 was there some sort of settlement after that? Glad you're okay, but that could've been so much worse!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    How many previous births and types or FTM? 1 CS (DS), 1 VBAC (DD)

Reasons for previous or future c-sections? DS was breech my entire pregnancy. We attempted 2 ECV's (OUCH) but he wouldn't budge. I haven't met with my new doctors but just like my 2nd pregnancy I'll still likely be considered risk for CS.

Did you feel pressured into any of your deliveries? When we found out DS was breech, we were transfered from my MW who I adored, to an OB. The OB wanted to get me on the books that day for a CS (he wanted to deliver at 38 weeks). I was very uncomfortable with this, and we fought and fought to push the CS back. We finally met with a different OB, who was convinced I'd go into labor early, but agreed to schedule my CS on my due date. I never went into labor, and had a scheduled CS at 40+1.

For DD, I had to meet with an OB even though I was going for a VBAC. It was awful. They basically tell you about the risks, but my particular OB worded it in a way that made me feel incredibly guilty as he was emphasizing on the mortality rate. I get it, there are risks with VBACs, but he was pressuring me to go for a RCS which I really did not want.

Did you experience any trauma that you wish to discuss? No physical trauma, just emotional. I hadn't mentally prepared for a CS, my entire pregnancy I was prepping for an unmedicated birth with my midwife. It threw me through a loop and I spent a few months after DS was born feeling guilty about the entire thing. 

Rants & Raves about your c-section(s)? The OB who did my CS was amazing! She stitched me up perfectly and I had very minimal scarring, and my recovery was insanely fast.

Any tips/products that aided recovery? The Belly Bandit is your BFF!! Anyone who is getting a CS, make sure you have one at the ready. The hospital usually will provide a girdle to help, but the Belly Bandit is a bit more fitted. I wore mine almost 24/7, and it was crazy how quickly I was able to recover. I was going up and down stairs and mostly pain free by the end of my first week.

Planning for VBAC or RCS for current pregnancy Hoping for a 2nd VBAC!

How comfortable do you feel with your current provider and their support of your birth plans? I'm nervous!! We're in a new state, so I have an entirely new provider. I met with the Doctor at my practice in November for my annual exam, and we'll meet the rest of the team on Feb 13 to discuss my pregnancy and delivery. Really hoping they're as great as the reviews say, but they were also recently acquired by a larger medical practice. Hoping that doesn't mean they've made changes for the worse.

What do you hope to gain from this group? Mama support! I feel like having a village is incredibly important. <3 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Options
    2- first was natural, 2nd was emergency c @35 weeks

Went in to premature labor @35 weeks, had a placenta previa and an anemic baby so they did an emergency c. 

No

I wish I was more informed or had taken a class before my first birth. I think the nurses jerked me around. 

My doctor did an amazing job with my c section. I really didn't want one but did not have a choice and It turned out to be perfectly ok. 

I started walking as soon as possible and as much as possible. I honestly didn't think recovery was nearly as bad as I expected. 

Haven't decided. The only reason I am on the fence is my baby will be in NICU and if I get a repeat c I will have to wait 6 hours before I can get up... that makes me want to try a VBAC but I'll be induced around 36 weeks and I'm nervous for a failed induction. 

I am using new doctors this time because we moved so I have a lot of anxiety about it.

Support 
  • Options
    @ellbeedee Just out of curiosity (if you don't mind sharing) why are they planning on inducing/scheduling/having your baby born so early?
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @pourmeamocktail I have O negative blood, failed rhogham, and now I have isoimmunization (rhesus disease) basically the reason why women get the rhogham shot is to prevent what happened to me. I had a maternal fetal hemhorrage with my first pregnancy. Now, every baby I have will be sick (anemia) and require in the least NICU stay, phototherapy, and blood transfusions, each pregnancy becoming subsequently worse (this will be my second effected pregnancy) this time we are expecting in-utero blood transfusions to baby. The MFM will not allow these pregnancies to go past 36/37 weeks. My last went to 35 and she was a lot sicker than we anticipated. I will be induced or repeat c around the end of August but we have not set a date. Its overwhelming and scary. I get weekly ultrasounds starting at 15 weeks and then 2x a week Starting 18-20 weeks until I deliver. This will be my last baby. 
  • Options
    @ellbeedee Oh damn. That sucks a ton. I can see why repeat c section might be easier for you. The hospital my son was in the NICU at (not where I delivered) had a NICU big enough that beds could be wheeled into it immediately after mom got out of recovery to meet baby. I wonder if there's a hospital you could use like that? The one I delivered at wouldn't even put me in a wheelchair until it had been 8 hours after, so that's how long I had to wait and the wait was the worst.

Either way, you have a tough choice to make. We deliver babies early in my family, I know that an induction around 35/36 weeks would likely work for me. Maybe acupuncture or something could help you prepare your body for labor early, not sure. Will keep my fingers crossed for you for sure, and I'm glad you seem to have a doctor with a good plan for keeping you both as healthy as possible!
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ellbeedee that's so scary, but it sounds like your doctor knows his stuff. Sending you all the warm vibes and baby juju for the best pregnancy and delivery possible for you!! <3 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Options

How many have had more than one c section? I saw my ob today and we discussed vbac vs repeat c and she completely freaked me out of the risks of repeat c. Now I don't know what to do, my pregnancy is high risk anyway and I am so stressed out. 
  • Options
    marym94marym94 member
    edited February 2018
    2 c -sec

blood sugar issues interfered with delivery of first 9lb baby... repeat section for 2nd and expected 3rd

No

None at all!

My doctor did a great job.. twice. Surgery was really pretty easy even the first time when it was a bit more chaotic and I got to snuggle my newborn after delivery while I was stitched up.  Recovery was relatively easy with my first and even smoother with my second. I had really good experiences all things considered!

I started walking as soon as possible and took gas meds .. gas was th only painful part of this process for my first really and I was prepared with my second! Walking and gas meds made a HUGE difference!

RCS

Very. Except I am more anxious for a 3rd. I wasn’t anxious for the last RCS because I knew my first was relatively easy but a 3rd has me a bit more concerned bc of scar tissue build up.

Support ;)
  • Options
    ellbeedee said:

How many have had more than one c section? I saw my ob today and we discussed vbac vs repeat c and she completely freaked me out of the risks of repeat c. Now I don't know what to do, my pregnancy is high risk anyway and I am so stressed out. 
    You totally should check out ICAN, there may be a chapter nearby you. Their website offers plenty of statistics on risks of multiple sections plus VBAC after 1 or 2 sections. It might help you decide what route is more comfortable for you (mentally and physically). 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    1 previous c/s

DD was sunny-side up and I wasn't dilating past 4 after 18 hours of labour.

Not at all. The OB and midwife told me my options and then left the room to let me and DH talk it over. 

No.

My OB/surgeon and the anesthesiologist were amazing. They made a bad situation good. I'm hoping for the same two this time around if I need another c/s. 

I started walking as soon as they took my catheter out. Just around the room, and then down the hall the next day. I took my pain meds as directed; I didn't wait until I felt pain (for those first few days). 

I'm hoping for a VBAC, but I'm way more open-minded this time around. Last time, I had it in my head that there was no way I'd need a c/s; I come from a family of women who all gave birth easily and quickly. So I was pretty sad when I realized where I was headed. 

Very comfortable. I know him extremely well and I have no worries. 

Support, advice. 

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • Options
    ellbeedee said:

This will be my third CS. What risks did she mention? Both RCS and VBACs have risks. 
  • Options
    How many previous births and types or FTM?  scheduled csection December ‘15

Reasons for previous or future c-sections? breech presentation the entire pregnancy because of my septate uterus, zero chance of flipping, she was wedged in there tight.

Did you feel pressured into any of your deliveries? no

Did you experience any trauma that you wish to discuss? I bled a lot and wasn’t allowed to take the good pain meds for a bit because of it

Rants & Raves about your c-section(s)?  my doctor was great and because it was scheduled so far in advance all of my wishes were accommodated. Got to bring my own music into the OR, immediate skin to skin, and my husband was able to photograph the whole thing for me. It really was made a positive experience.

Any tips/products that aided recovery? belly compression band made a world of difference.

Planning for VBAC or RCS for current pregnancy   I have no preference, I want whatever is deemed safest for us and don’t plan on making that decision for a while. 

How comfortable do you feel with your current provider and their support of your birth plans? very comfortable. I’ve had the same doctor for many ups and downs over the years and he always accommodates my wishes as much as possible while giving me the honest facts to work with. 

What do you hope to gain from this group? support and outside perspectives I may not see myself 
  • Options
    ellbeedee said:

This will be my third CS. What risks did she mention? Both RCS and VBACs have risks. 
    There was mention of a possible hysterectomy after hemmorhage, lots of mention of hemmorhage in general. I had a placenta previa with my last which resulted in an emergency c... not sure if that puts me more at risk. She mentioned abruption with a vbac and I also felt she was maybe discouraging vbac because my baby will be sick at birth etc. 
  • Options
    ellbeedee said:
    ellbeedee said:

There was mention of a possible hysterectomy after hemmorhage, lots of mention of hemmorhage in general. I had a placenta previa with my last which resulted in an emergency c... not sure if that puts me more at risk. She mentioned abruption with a vbac and I also felt she was maybe discouraging vbac because my baby will be sick at birth etc. 
    Almost positive that previa is just an unpredictable thing, and while it's for sure something that makes a section necessary, it shouldn't increase your risks moving forward. I think risk of bleeding is like 5% for first section, and maybe 7-10% roughly for second one (going to try to actually find the statistics later!). Risk of any sort of rupture after 1 section is like 1.5% where risk for rupture for any non even without rupture is like .8% or something. But, risk of catastrophic life endangering rupture is even smaller, maybe .3% risk? 

I will try to find the actual stats though. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!