June 2018 Moms

weekly randoms 1/29

Re: weekly randoms 1/29

• @mytinc I literally have to mute the tab I use to go on the bump because the ads are so effing annoying 
  • Loading the player...
  • @izza2 When my son was born, we seriously had no diapers, no wipes, 1 single set of Dr. Browns bottles, etc. (He was born at 35 weeks and we are terrible procrastinators.) He had a place to sleep and that was about it, and in the end I was so glad. We came home from the hospital with loads of diapers, wipes, extra formula (I had to supplement), hospital blankets to swaddle him in, etc., and had plenty of time to figure out what would work best for him. We’ll be a bit more prepared this time, but I guess my point is that as long as you’re even thinking about this stuff, it’ll totally work itself out.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @doxiemoxie212 - Are the video pop up ads fairly new?  I don't recall them a week or so ago.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @mytinc the ads on mobile are super annoying today too. When I use my laptop I use chrome with an ad blocker extension and it makes it sooooo much better, it's insane. Otherwise I could never use it. I wish I could block ads on mobile too though. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Has anyone done the dip powder nail polish stuff at home?  I keep seeing the ad for it on FB and I'm soo close to pulling the trigger but can't decide.  If you've done it- is it a mess?  Is it fast- I NEED fast drying...is it a PITA to take off?
  • @kmurdock925 I haven't tried the dip powder so I'm no help there but my go to is CND Vinylux. They have a nail cleaner and base coat but I don't use those. I just use the polish and the top coat, I even use the top coat with other brands of polish and get pretty good results. Right now I'm going on a week and a half and there are def some chips but from afar they don't look too bad. It dries quickly, like I've switched the laundry within 15 mins, and you take it off with just regular remover, easy peasy. 

Ignore my horrendous cuticles 

*TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @krashke - 15 mins isn't bad!!  I've been using the Sally Hansen (I think??) instant dry stuff.  The dry time is great but they chip within 2 days and I just can't deal with that, lol.   I'll have to check that stuff out for sure.
  • @kmurdock925 my bottle of top coat is getting a little old and goopy so I think it takes longer to dry. It was definitely quicker when it was brand new. I should pick up a new top coat. But I would say I've had mine for at least a year. 
    *TW LC*

• @kmurdock925 I love Jamberry nail wraps and I also love their Trushine gel system.  I can get manicures to last without chipping for 2 weeks and I'm a nurse!!
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @krashke that's how my last BMB did things. People volunteered to do threads every week and it was their "job" to start them. I think if someone had to go someone else took over. I came in later with that one so I don't know how they came to those decisions. Amusingly, now that we're on Facebook the same people will start their weekly threads even now. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sabby2 - I forgot all about jamberry...are they easy to apply?
  • I didn't like jamberry when I tried it. They edges of them wouldn't stay down so they would get caught in my hair all the time. They peeled off in probably 4 days. 
    *TW LC*

• @kmurdock925 they take practice and paying attention to nail prep.  I can get a whole set on in about 10 to 15 minutes start to finish.

My edges would come up until I figured out what works for my nails for prep.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• @jsl82 cherish those pants! None of my dress pants for work have any pockets so I end up carrying my badge around with me and then I left it in the bathroom and got locked out. 
    *TW LC*

• LaceyBee522LaceyBee522 member
    edited January 2018
    @doxiemoxie212 Thank you for teaching me about the "mute tab" option on chrome. I did not know this existed and it has vastly improved my time on The Bump. 

ETA

Yay, @sabby2! Congrats!

@elsie42 Which ad blocker extension do you use??
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 I agree I don't like gift cards when I have to share them (as in not just me ALONE), I much rather just have the gift so if it needs to be exchanged or returned I can still get what I want. We have a clutch FULL of gift cards from our wedding because DH believes "we don't need anything, and we'll use them when we need them" for those who don't know my husband that translates to "I don't want anything from this particular store right now, and I don't want you spending the money on something I don't want. So lets save these gift cards until I want something."

Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • I used to loooove jamberry. Then I kinda lost my touch and the ends were giving me issues with snagging my hair etc. I wonder if my old jams would still work good. they're a couple years old.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • mytincmytinc member
    edited January 2018
    @doxiemoxie212 - Congrats on the freelance job!

An hourly rate as a consultant (freelance) should be at least double what a salaried rate would be since the employer doesn't need to pay benefits for you, which is likely why they didn't balk - they still save money vs hiring you directly.   DH consulted for about a year and we made a point of setting aside 25% of what he made just to be sure we could cover taxes at the end of the year (we did have enough).  He still made out better than if he was an employee (since he was already covered under my insurance), but we didn't put as much into his retirement as we would have wanted to.

Depending on how much freelance work you take on, I think you're supposed to do quarterly taxes instead of yearly (DH never did as he only consulted a little over a year).  Just some things to think about.  :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
  • @LaceyBee522 it's called Fair AdBlocker
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Congrats @doxiemoxie212 don't forget about us!
    *TW LC*

• @mytinc yeah, I feel good about my rate, but I know I've personally worked at PR agencies before that would have balked at my rate lol. It made me feel good to find out this place was not one of those places since obviously they're not paying my health insurance, electricity, internet, computer, etc. I think we'll probably set aside everything I make and then use it to pay taxes, student loans or put the rest in savings, but that's a good tip about trying to do them quarterly. I'll ask DH what he wants to do - he does our taxes. ;)
  •  Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
  • anyone watch 'unreal' on lifetime? I've been waiting for this new damn season for so long. and I just saw my first preview! woohoo!
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • @doxiemoxie212, congrats on the job! I was required to pay quarterly taxes in grad school when my funding did not come from the University, and therefore taxes were not automatically taken out. FYI there is a penalty if some percentage of your taxes aren't paid ahead by I think the last day of the year. There are special 1040-ES forms to fill out (and a state specific version of those). It was kind of a pain, because there's no way (at least a few years ago) to do it online (check only, then I would run out of stamps...ugh such a process) and you have to remind yourself to do it. 

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • @icecubeinthedesert do you know if there’s a minimum income for that to be true? 
  • @doxiemoxie212 Woohooo congrats!  
  • @doxiemoxie212, here's the blurb from the instructions (sorry for the weird pattern from taking a pic of my monitor):

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • @doxiemoxie212 wooot congrats lady!!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I am a crappy group member. I really want to be here more. I love stopping by and catching up when I do have time though. I have tomorrow off for doctor appointments, so I will try to catch up then.
  • @doxiemoxie212 CONGRATS!!! I dunno anything about freelance but it sounds great!
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker