1st Trimester

Am I being unreasonable? *TW

my husband and I have been trying for a family for 7 years and have gone through IVF with two transfers that were unsuccessful. During all of this I have had 5 early miscarriages all before 6 weeks. 

While waiting to start our third transfer we found out that I was pregnant again. I should be excited but I'm just nervous and worried. I contacted my RE who scheduled a beta (87) approximately 2 days before my expected period. Had to beg for a second beta to make sure that my number went up(255) and then I asked for a third since I have a history of ok numbers that just abruptly fall through the floor. 

She he really fought me on it and said it wasn't necessary. Just come in for an ultrasound at 8 weeks and good luck . 

Im high risk with a history of early miscarriage and a double uterus. Am I really being that unreasonable? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Am I being unreasonable? *TW

• sphinx24 said:
    my husband and I have been trying for a family for 7 years and have gone through IVF with two transfers that were unsuccessful. During all of this I have had 5 early miscarriages all before 6 weeks. 

While waiting to start our third transfer we found out that I was pregnant again. I should be excited but I'm just nervous and worried. I contacted my RE who scheduled a beta (87) approximately 2 days before my expected period. Had to beg for a second beta to make sure that my number went up(255) and then I asked for a third since I have a history of ok numbers that just abruptly fall through the floor. 

She he really fought me on it and said it wasn't necessary. Just come in for an ultrasound at 8 weeks and good luck . 

Im high risk with a history of early miscarriage and a double uterus. Am I really being that unreasonable? 
    I don’t personally have experience with high risk pregnancies, but this does seem pretty lax for some one with your history. I’d suggest joining your bmb and looking for the PAIF (pregnant after infertility). They’d probably be better situated to compare stories, and will be going through the same stages with you.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • In addition to what @meggyme suggested, a PGAL (pregnant after loss) thread may help you feel better as well. Both threads will generally have ladies who've gone through something similar to you, and can share their experiences with the same struggles (worries, stress, nightmares, arguing physicians, etc.).

I can say that I pushed to have betas done during my own pregnancy, with no IF or history of loss, because I had cramping and bleeding early on. I had some push back from the doctor, but in the end, it's your health care and a good physician will do what they need to do in order to make you feel more comfortable and sane.
    If you're having anxiety and stress over your HCG results, and need a third one to feel better, then push for it. As someone who works in healthcare, I can tell you that if you annoy them long enough and often enough, they'll eventually cave if only because they want you off their back.

But no, in my own opinion, I don't feel you're being unreasonable at all.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Loading the player...
  • @sphinx24 I don’t think you’re being unreasonable. My RE offered a third beta even though she didn’t think it was necessary. I then had two ultrasound with her, one at 6.5 weeks and one at 7.5 weeks before graduating. From what I’ve seen of others, my RE experience was fairly standard. Definitely keep advocating for yourself! FX this is your sticky bean!
  • Sorry to hear about your losses and challenges. I don’t think your being unreasonable. My last pregnancy was high risk. This time around i am not being considered as high risk since i made it full term but i did have a few complications early on that i had to demand for betas to ease my concerns. No shame in that. If you feel like your doc is not supportive or doesn’t give you the information you need maybe look for a second opinion. Best of luck and wishing you a sticky bean!
  • I have to do HCG with my pregnancies also, also well as progesterone labs because my body doesn’t make enough on its own to sustain a pregnancy. This time around I only did he first 2 HCG tests which showed good numbers and doubling like yours. I did not do more bloodwork but my MD had me come in at 6.5 weeks for an US and then had another one at 9 weeks. I’m 10.1 weeks now.

This is my 7th pregnancy, I have a DD that’s 2.5 otherwise have had 4 miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy. 

I think the hard part is at this point you stress no matter what. I’d ask for an early OB US though, seems odd that’s not typical for IVF or the hx. 
  • Meant to say good luck to you! I’d push the early US, makes me feel much better to hear the heartbeat rather than see numbers from a test! 
  • Thank you! 3rd beta had numbers go up to 649. They have scheduled me an ultrasound at 8 weeks and put me on progesterone suppositories as a precaution. Normally I think they would bring me in earlier by I have a suspicion... can't prove... it that because I didn't get pregnant while going through a FET cycle that they are treating me as less of a priority. I am stuck right now between my OBGYN and my RE of whom seem to think they the other should be dealing with me 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @sphinx24 Please join us at the Pregnant after IF board  <3