Baby Names

Madeline Issues

Madeline is one of the only names my husband likes, but I have lots of concerns. First of all, I would want to pronounce it with a long I (MadeLINE not MadeLYN), but I'm not sure that's a person's first inclination. 

Also, I would like to avoid the nickname Maddy/Maddie since it is super popular, but I don't think there is any way around it. 

Should I try to compromise with my husband or scrap the name?

Re: Madeline Issues

• I don’t think Madeline being pronounced LINE is a problem. She may have to correct people the first time, but other than that I don’t foresee issues.

I think that if you love the name, but don’t like the nn you just called her Madeline all the time. However, she may decide she wants to be Maddy later in life so I’d you truly hate that nickname, i would go back to the drawing board.

FWIW, I love the name and it was high up on our list, but we decided it was too popular and went back to the drawing board.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I like it, and you may have to correct some people, but that happens a lot so I don’t view it as a big deal. But you clearly don’t love the name, so I would keep it on the list (it may grow on you) and keep looking to find something you both love
  • Loading the player...
  • SeñoritaSeñorita member
    edited January 2018
    My 5 year old daughter's name is Madeleine. Honestly, people rarely try to call her Maddy. We always call her by her full name so everyone else does too. On the rare occasion that new people try to call her Maddy they realize that she doesn't respond to it (because she's only ever gone by her full name) so they learn quickly. Maybe when she's older she will choose a nickname, but this is the case with so many names that we didn't let our dislike for Maddy outweigh our love for the name.

We pronounce her name as it is in French, which is more like MadeLYN. I think the natural inclination to your spelling is MadeLINE. 

ETA: We have yet to encounter another MadeLYN/MadeLINE in any of her school or activity classes. 
  • If you really dislike a nn, I wouldn’t pick the name... you have control now, but she may decide she likes Maddy when she is 7.... or 17. Does that bother you? 
  • I would say MadeLINE but it’s probably about 50/50 with the pronunciations. The popularity and nickname would bug me.  It’s  a nice name but you do not sound at all in love with it so maybe it’s better to look at other options that your husband might agree with. 
  • BabyBoyH92016BabyBoyH92016 member
    edited January 2018
    I see your concern. Madeline is a family name for us, and I couldn’t get behind it because of the LINE LYN pronunciation issue.

I get that it really isn’t a huge deal, and that even the easiest of names can get butchered, but it is something that would personally bug me. If you don’t truly love the name, I would keep looking. And too be honest, I truly didn’t love it, so that’s probably why the pronunciation thing bugged me so much. 
  • My Madeline is the -lyn- pronunciation. I really dislike the Lyn spelling. Nobody has ever questioned how to say her name or said it incorrectly. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • It's a beautiful name, but if you really hate the nn Maddie, I wouldn't choose it. Perhaps use is as the mn?
  • My daughters name is Adeline (Long I) and EVERYONE calls her Adelyn and it really bugs me. So if you are worried about that it’s probably going to happen.