July 2018 Moms

Mental Health Check-in 12/28

zombiehoohaazombiehoohaa member
edited December 2017 in July 2018 Moms
***This thread has a general trigger warning.*** 

This is a safe place for more detailed support in mental health, struggles, and successes.
Whereas general stress and issues are often discussed in several dailies, this place is for a more focused discussion of the impact of mental health. Members are encouraged to use thoughtfulness and depth to examine feelings, barriers, and useful supports.

This post can be replied to at any time during the week. Not limited to those with a mental health diagnosis, but please be sensitive to others.

Feel free to share, vent, or support other members on this thread. Share a picture/gif that expresses how you feel or provides some comfort.  

If you need help getting started, try filling out the form below:

Mental health diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?

How are you feeling?

**Note: Borrowed from June 2018 because I thought this was a wonderful text. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Mental Health Check-in 12/28

• Diagnosed with chronic depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I’m feeling okay despite the circumstances. I’ve been off of anti-depressants since June and I haven’t really noticed a huge difference until I got pregnant. I am much more emotional and anxious now.

How is everyone else doing? 
  • Loading the player...
  • I grew up with a best friend that had wealthy grandparents. I remember always feeling guilty for being jealous of her and her twin sister.  Their grandparents bought them their first (really nice, brand new) cars, while my mom couldn’t even afford to pay to get me driving lessons (mandated in California if you’re under 18). They always had amazing Christmases with tons of gifts, while my family couldn’t afford a tree. They always had a closet full of body wash at their house and we used bar soap. Stuff like that just always got to me and it made me feel silly too, but I think it’s normal to look at your life and compare it to others. Especially when they take it for granted, my best friend always did. I think in a lot of ways, they just don’t realize how much they have. I see it as beneficial in a way though, the hardships that you go through will make you stronger. Having money and help is nice but it can make you dependent on others. You don’t seem immature at all. 

My family lives far too, so I understand missing them. I hope you get to see them soon! @hillbillywife
  • Thanks for posting this again!!

my technical diagnosis is Generalized Anxiety Disorder as well as symptoms of depression but no full criteria for a diagnosis. Also I have and still at times struggle with binge eating

I am here because both sides are flaring up lately. I have struggled with self-esteem and positive body image for the majority of my life. I gained most of my weight in college and have been on a yo-yo ever since. I gained quite a bit though after the birth of my daughter and had full blown postpartum depression and anxiety.

Anyways long story short: I unfortunately have people in my life while trying to be caring tend to make me feel fat through their encouragements to workout and be healthy. I have these desires as well and have lost nearly 30 pounds since June 2017.

anywho this brings me to the present issue (sorry for the novel) I am feeling so down and insecure about my body. I would love to be so fit or trim that I can actually see my baby bump
    form and grow instead of just looking like I have gone on a binge. I just am feeling so down and depressed. I had set all these health goals for this pregnancy but I am just not working out. I definitely could but im tired or make excuses. 

tl;dr: struggled with weight for a long time abd feeling so so down this pregnancy about my appearance
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, Hyper Sensitivity, Depression, and Social Anxiety. 
    I've been on a nice "cocktail" of medications for 5+ years, which have been EXTREMELY helpful to my daily life. Looking back at my younger self, I had all of those growing up yet didn't get diagnosed until I was in my mid-20's. Now that I am pregnant, my psychiatrist recommended I go off all the medications for at least my first trimester. This is has been pretty difficult for me. The first week I was okay, I could deal. As the weeks have gone on, I am feeling myself spiraling downward. Luckily, the ob I saw yesterday told me it is okay to need my medications and that I do come first, because if I'm not happy, then the baby isn't going to be happy. They would prefer I stay off the medications for as long as possible (at least until 18 weeks), though.I am going to continue to try to push through. I do know my breaking point and am not afraid to speak up. It's such a fine line when there is another life at stake now. I don't really feel a connection to this baby or that it's even really happening. I know it's still early (10.5 weeks), however I just feel void of emotion. I didn't cry when my mother in law passed away (we were there when she took her last breath), I didn't cry at her viewing, rosary, or mass. I did cry at the burial. Mostly for the loss of her getting to know her grandchild and for my husband losing his mom. I'm not sure if this lack of emotion is from not being on my meds, the hormones, or all of the above. I feel so void from a lot of things, which is not like me at all. 

I'm sending all of you ladies hugs and positive vibes. This is tough. 

• @lindsayleigh1989 I know from experience that it doesn’t always help when people say this, but I think you’re beautiful. I have struggled with weight problems my whole life and it’s been hard coming to grips with the fact that I probably won’t be able to post bump pictures for this pregnancy because I most likely won’t show enough to notice. I hope that you find the beauty in yourself. Low self-esteem is a nasty monster and I hope you find confidence in yourself as I hope all of us women do during our pregnancies and every day lives. 

@zombiehoohaa I am sorry you’re going through that with medications. That has got to be really tough and you’re a great mom for doing what you need to do, but I’m glad you can speak up if you need to go back on them. You are strong. I wish you peace of mind! I’m sorry about your mother-in-law, too. 
  • Mental health diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?
    had depression throughout my younger years but never diagnosed. Did have anxiety and panic attack back then too. I was formally diagnosed with PPD last year and I’m sure it was some PPA too. I’m better but not the same as before. I still get frustrated and angry pretty quickly. Worried of getting worse after birth.

How are you feeling?
    Holidays make me more anxious. I don’t like being around people too much especially super peppy talkative people. Last night really tested me. We took DS to the zoo lights (super cool in general) but he decided to be that kid that cried the whole time. Nothing made him happy other than drinking my hot chocolate. We rushed through it unfortunately. Speed walked it in 30 mins. Then cried the full ride home (~30 mins). I was holding in my rage so hard i turned up the music to tune him out. He eventually stopped crying and the minute DH said the lights where cool i started crying and apologized for getting so frustrated. I had pumped my self up and imagined this amazing night that turned in to a shit show. 
    Hope today is better since DH goes back to work and I’ll be alone with DS. 
  • Hugs to everyone in this thread.  I'm so glad there is a mental health group, it's been really difficult talking to family and friends about my anxiety.  I'm getting a lot of "Just relax, you should be excited, the worst thing you can do for your baby is stress".  I know that it's well-meaning, but my anxiety has gotten so much worse while pregnant.  I have a constant fear that something will happen to the baby.  I thought once I got to the second trimester (2 more days), I would feel more at ease.  Then, we got the results of our NT yesterday and they shared we are high-risk for Down's Syndrome.  Though, I just turned 25, they say my risk is that of someone in their forties.  I don't know how I will make it through waiting until the holiday is over for our next appointment...then the additional days of waiting for results.  Does anyone have any good tips for coping with the anxiety while we wait?
  • I’m so sorry that you got that scary news! I will be thinking of you and hope you’ll keep me updated on how everything goes.

I am with you with the anxiety, I have felt SO anxious before and in between each appointment. I convinced myself before my last appointment that there was something wrong. Something that has helped me is to try focusing on the positive parts of the pregnancy, I know that sounds cliche “think positive”, but honestly thinking about baby names, what baby will look like, the gender, the things I’ll start buying has really been helpful to getting my mind off of the negative. If that doesn’t work, I try to just take deep breaths and think there is nothing I can do besides take very good care of myself, usually it helps to realize I am doing my best. If none of that works, I cry it out in the bathroom. @julybabybear
  • @julybabybear I’m so sorry to hear that! I really hope that’s not the case. Did you also get blood work to pair up with the NT scan? I’m super anxious since i have mine on Wed. Blood work came back negative so it’s a bit relieving. The way i try to look at it is that i understand the challenges that may come with Down syndrome but from what I’ve seen they are so special in their own way and i would love him regardless and i am sure you would too. Did they offer any extra testing? Hang in there mama we are here for support! I cry it out pretty often too. 
  • @hayhay93 @wildtot Thank you guys.  I'm definitely trying to get my mind off it, but trying to mentally prepare, too.  Crying it out seems to be the case right now.  They did my NT scan and bloodwork in the same day.  The NT ultrasound part was normal (as far as measuring behind the baby's neck, the heart, and measurements), but the bloodwork came back with the scary results.  I guess they combine the ultrasound and bloodwork to create a statistic.  

They gave us two options for further testing, cell-free DNA (the non-invasive option) and CVS.  We decided to go less invasive.  It stinks that we have to wait until Tuesday because of the weekend and holiday.  I hate the thought of not knowing for so long.  

I was initially Team Green, but now with this scare, I'm thinking I just want to know who this baby is, so I can call him/her by their name.  I guess with this testing they can tell us the sex of the baby with our results.  I will definitely update you all.  Thank you so much for the support.  It's really hard to talk to my family/friends about this, even though we're so close, they just don't know the feeling of this anxiety and being pregnant...and I can't talk to them without getting really emotional.  

@wildtot I will be thinking of you for your Wednesday NT ultrasound.  It's great that you already know your bloodwork was negative.  Now you will be able to see your baby and the doctor's can tell you the results/statistic right away versus waiting for anything to come back!
  • @julybabybear we did the cell-free testing too. I can’t imagine the anxiety of going through a CVS if i had to. I know there’s a mama in here that did and will be again. Hope the cumulative results a better. Remember the testing isn’t 100% so there’s a chance all will be ok. I can relate with family not understanding. With DS i had so many complications during and after that i couldn’t relate to anyone since they all had healthy uneventful pregnancies. Please keep up posted and thanks for the positive vibes!
  • There is this pretty cool app called Calm. It is supposed to help with anxiety, sleep, etc. I've been listening to it at night because my mind just doesn't shut down (fuck off negative thoughts). The soothingness of the different sounds, stories, voices, have really put my mind at ease. I woke up actually feeling pretty relaxed this morning. Its really hard to have people say just relax or get over it, especially when they have NO clue what anxiety is like. You do not have control over it. You do not have this switch to turn it off or on. You have to find a way to cope and manage through it. One of the nurses also told me to take a bath. Not a super hot bath or one to soak all of the body, just enough to soak partially. She said this helped her a lot with anxiety. Her words, "if you can get your body muscles to relax, your brain should follow". 

@hayhay93 a good cry is always beneficial!!!

@julybabybear sending you hugs! Hopefully, you get some more definite answers with the cell-free testing! 

@wildtot fx for your nt scan this week!!! 

• yes! the calm app is amazing and I always reccomend it to my clients too!!

• I have an OCD diagnosis. The past couple of weeks have been tough. My fears have taken over and I have been very in my own head about how I’m feeling. I’ve never been on meds, just done therapy. Haven’t seen my therapist in months because of scheduling issues, and I’m starting to feel it. My
    ocd is very thought based, so I ruminate and fixate in a fear. My biggest fear is of going crazy. Since my anxiety has been higher I’ve been so scared of developing some sort of post parfum psychosis. So scary. 
  • Do they charge for the calm app? I remember seeing it but never looked into it.
  • @wildtot They do have free and premium services. It is worth it. My mind is feeling a little better after sleeping because I fall asleep to a story or music, which I normally wouldn't. It's extremely soothing. 

• @julybabybear that's great!

• @hillbillywife You don't sound immature at all. I have a friend like that, and I feel a lot of jealousy towards her. I also have trouble with jealousy towards acquaintances whose lives seem perfect on social media, but at least with them I can tell myself "well you don't know what's going on behind the scenes." I do know what's going on behind the scenes of my friend's life, so it really does seem to me like she has the perfect life. Jealousy is a normal feeling that everyone has, so don't feel guilty about feeling jealous. Just don't let the jealousy poison that friendship. 

@lindsayleigh1989 I know all about the body insecurity. As I've posted elsewhere, I had an eating disorder for years. In high school, I gained a lot of weight mysteriously and couldn't get it off by normal amounts of diet and exercise (thanks, undiagnosed PCOS!), so my desire to lose weight spiraled into an eating disorder. Body image issues take YEARS to overcome - I still haven't overcome them completely. What helps me is to remember that each body is unique and different. I'm never going to have long, thin legs or large breasts because that's just not how I'm built. I can't compare my body to anyone else's body, because my body is made differently and works differently than theirs. All I can do is to keep my body as healthy as possible and celebrate the beauty that I can find in my unique body. It also helped me to realize that not all clothes are made for my body, so it's okay that I don't look good in them - the problem is with the CLOTHES and not with my body. So instead of focusing on what you don't like about yourself, I'm going to challenge you to find 1-2 things about your body that you DO like. 

@zombiehoohaa I'm so sorry you're having trouble with going off of your meds. 

Mental health diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today? Recurrent major depression, generalized anxiety disorder. 

How are you feeling? Anxious. Extremely anxious. My mind is playing the "what if" game about various aspects of my baby's health. And I'm feeling scared because I know that this anxiety for my child will never go away at any stage of my child's life. I'm really struggling with the fact that, even in the womb, I can't put my baby in a protective bubble that will keep him/her 100% safe. I had an overprotective, anxious mother, and I know I'm on track to become JUST like my mom. So I guess my struggle right now is struggling to let go of the desire to control everything and accept that bad things may happen to my child no matter what. 
  • Also, I'm having anxiety about how I'm going to feed my baby. I've mentioned before that I intend to combination feed from birth because I'm concerned about my milk production and about PPD. But I'm on Prozac during this pregnancy and will be on Prozac afterwards. I did some research last night, and unfortunately Prozac has a half-life of about 1-3 days, meaning that it can build up in the baby's system if you breastfeed while taking Prozac. So I'm very conflicted about whether or not to combination feed or to exclusively formula feed to limit my baby's exposure to the drug. I mean part of me says "well the baby has been exposed to it in utero, so what's the harm in a bit more exposure in breastmilk?" But another part of me thinks "if the baby has to be exposed in utero, why not make sure the baby is exposed as little as possible after birth?" I'm just really having trouble weighing the benefits of breastmilk against the risks of exposing an infant to more psychotropic drugs. Obviously this is a decision I'll be making based on the advice of my doctors and not by asking people on the internet what their opinions are. I just needed to talk about my anxiety over having to make this decision. 
  • @beanship thank you! I think I need to take a little step back from our relationship right now because hormones and anxiety isn’t putting me in a place to be a good friend OR take care of myself. 

also- have you talked to your doctors about BF yet? If you’re anxious about it I would bring it up now to see what they think. I wish I could give you good advice or a positive experience but I don’t have those. I don’t remember if this is your first baby or not but you’re doing great things by being protective. It’s okay to be protective. The world needs all kinds of moms, and no one is any better than the other! 

• Thanks @hayhay93 life is hard lol. I’m sorry you’ve had this struggle too. It ended up kind of coming to a peak around New Years and I had to call my dad and cry about it. Which usually helps me put it in its place and move on. 

On another note, I was finally able to bring up my thoughts to my doctor about my anxiety and  depression and she gave me some good starting points for getting help and that made me feel really relieved and good. The next step of making the phone call is going to be hard for me, but I know it needs to be a priority and I’ll feel better once I do it! 
  • @hillbillywife Aw thank you! This is my first! I haven't been able to talk about BFing yet with my doctors because I haven't seen my OB yet, only the RE. My psychiatrist did say "we'll talk about breastfeeding a little later on", which I'm pretty sure means she's going to advise against it. I'll see my OB in Tuesday, so I'll discuss it with her then. Although frankly my psychiatrist specializes in treating women and children and has extensive experience with women taking psychiatric drugs during and after pregnancy, so I'll probably assign more weight to her opinion once I get it. 
  • @beanship that makes sense to give the weight of the opinion to her. I kind of hate responses like that tho. I wouldn’t be asking if I didn’t want to know/didn’t think I could handle the answer. Just tell me a quick yes or no and then we can talk about it later lol. 
  • Just wanted to throw this out there. Are you ladies up for this being a weekly thread or would you prefer bi-weekly, or monthly?

• I think it’s beneficial to have one every week. Things can change so much from week to week in my experience. @zombiehoohaa
  • So- another symptom I remember about not being on mediation is my self doubt about being a mother. Before medication I was constantly putting my ability to be a good mother down- once on medication it was better. Just the normal self doubt not this over critical judgement-
    well it’s back since being off medication. Here is to hoping I can push through but at least I’ve made it to second trimester .
  • @elizabethrn87 hope it gets better self doubt is awful can be hard to combat. for what it's worth I think you are a great mom

• @elizabethrn87 I struggle with self-doubt in general off meds. I wonder if people don't really like me and are faking it, if everyone's been faking that I am a good cook and I really suck, things that just seem crazy when I write them down. I hope it gets better for you, or that self talk helps you off the ledge. Without the meds its the only tool I have and sometimes it takes me a long time to talk myself down!

There was an article on Pregnant Chicken yesterday about going on and coming of Zoloft that I really related to...It was exactly what the meds did for me and exactly how I felt coming off, it was interesting to see that it was other people's experience with the drug as well. I put the link it below!

https://pregnantchicken.com/leaving-zoloft/

• I'm just joining this thread, I've been a little chicken about contributing until now. I have social anxiety, OCD, PTSD, and PMDD (which isn't present during pregnancy, because well, pregnant) and I'm sure a couple things that I've not been yet diagnosed. I've been in a good place the last couple years, and off medication since 2015. I've managed things with therapy, exercise, and other non medical intervention (mindfulness, meditation, binaural beats) and a very supportive husband.

Lately, I've noticed some of my usual ticks and signs before I spiral are popping up. As an example, I had to check the garage door 5 times last night, and then I made the bed at 2am this morning, with my husband still in it, because it was messy and I couldn't sleep in a messy bed.

Part of me says it's just the general hormonal madness of pregnancy and that I have a lot on my mind, but I'm also a little worried about being sucked back into my own personal black hole. Trying to make an appointment with my doctor about it, but having a hard time getting something on the schedule.

• @noideawhatshesdoing welcome to the thread! Hope you can get something soon with your doctor! 

On the topic the frequency i don’t mind weekly or every two weeks. 

+1 to self doubt. I’ve always had that little voice in my head questioning if I’m doing the right thing, am i doing enough, if I’m good enough, do people even like me or are they just nice. I’ve said out loud that i know I’m not a good wife or mom sometimes especially since my PPD. I no longer show excitement or affection in my relationship and i hate it because even if i try i feel like I’m lying to myself but I’m hurting my husband if i don’t. I’ll stop there before i go all therapy session on ya’ll. 
  • @noideawhatshesdoing Glad you're joining in! Hoping you can get in with your doctor to assist some way. 

Thinking every 2 weeks will be a good thing for the check-ins; see how it goes. I'll post a new discussion tomorrow for this thread.