October 2017 Moms

big baby rice cereal

hudsonei hudsonei member
edited January 2018 in October 2017 Moms
My sweet boy had an appointment today to check on his reflux and the doctor said he was too big. He weighs 18lbs 6oz. He is exclusively breastfed, no bottles, no pacifiers. His doctor said to start giving him some rice cereal to help even out his weight. He's only 3 months old and everything I have read says his digestive system isn't developed enough for anything but breast milk and formula. I trust my doctor but I feel like I wouldn't be a good mom unless I researched more. Has anyone else dealt with this? My 5 year old was a big baby too but only 15lbs at 3 months not 18lbs. I have called my lactation consultant to see what she says. I'm just waiting for a call back. 

Re: big baby rice cereal

• I don't have the issue with my baby being big but we have been battling reflux for almost 2 months now. I tried to breastfeed but I couldn't keep up. I'll be starting my baby on rice cereal in her bottles tonight actually. If you start slow their digestive system can handle it. I was told 1 tablespoon per 2 ounces of formula. I respect the research because I would do the same thing. But the doctor wouldn't tell you to do anything that could harm your baby. 
  • emwj10187emwj10187 member
    edited January 2018
    EBF babies tend to be on the bigger side, especially if youre feeding on demand. There usally isnt anything wrong with that. I would get a second opinion honestly. I'm EBF my daughter, feeding on demand and shes 17lbs at 3 months. no rice cereal for us. She also has some reflux that we just deal with. They do grow out of it. If baby is gaining and happy reflux isnt usally a thing to worry about. Im frustrated your doctor has scared you into feeling this way. I urge you to get a  second opinion. Good Luck.
    \