Infertility
Options

Introduction :-)

Hi ladies! I’m so glad to have found this forum and I’m looking forward to having a support system of women who know exactly how I’m feeling. I am 30 and DH is 31. We have been ttc for about 2 years. We started seeing a RE last May where I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. I have had cysts in the past but nothing consistent. DH found out from his SA that he has low morphology and somewhat low motility (although that has fluctuated). We were referred to a urologist where they did find a vericocele. So he is planning to have that corrected in a few months. I have tried Clomid with TI but the Clomid didn’t work for me. After that my RE had me try 3 cycles of Femara and Ovidrel with TI. After all 3 cycles failed we moved on to Femara and Ovidrel with IUI. We had 3 failed cycles of that as well. So now we are debating between injectables with iui or to move straight to ivf. Looking forward to hearing your experiences, success stories and advice! 

Re: Introduction :-)

• Options
    Hey @slp-2 Welcome and sorry you find yourself here. I unfortunately went straight past IUI to IVF due to being 37 and H’s MFI(low count, low morph) I also Have a septum in my uterus which I will Be having removed Monday :)!! We did our egg retrieval back in Dec where we got 29 egg, 25 were mature, 21 were fertilized using icsi Bc if the MFI and 12 made it to day 5! Out of those 12 we have 5 PGS( pre genetic screening) tested normal embryos and 3 mosaic embryos( those 3 contain both normal and abnormal cells). We are gearing up for a March Transfer! 
    Though I cant Give you much advice on IUI can I ask What is holding you back from going straight to IVF? 
  • Options
    tosh24tosh24 member
    edited January 2018
    Welcome and sorry you find yourself here. I think you have a strong case to support going straight to IVF, but thought I'd also offer a different perspective. I did 3 IUIs with femara and then tried two IUIs with injects. The two inject IUIs told me (and my RE) A LOT about my response to stimming. You'll see that people often say your first IVF is like a "trial run". For me,  I only got one chance at an IVF cycle so that kind of mindset was unacceptable to me and part of the reason why I chose to do IUIs with injects prior to IVF. As it turns out, one of my IUIs was cancelled for premature ovulation (so we now knew that I needed to add in an ovulation suppressant earlier) and the other IUI was cancelled because I overstimmed  (10+ mature follies on low dose Gonal F) which told my RE that I don't need a high dose of meds and was at risk for hyperstimulation. For my IVF cycle, my RE put me on a a low-moderate dose of meds and made sure to add in the ganirelix early. As it turns out, I got a good number of eggs and my estrogen was sky high so I was forced to do a freeze all because of OHSS. I'm really glad I learned the lessons I did from my inject IUI cycles! GL with whatever you decide!

Edit - typo
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @slp-2 I second what @tosh24 said! We did a few IUI's and my best # was when I did an IUI with injectables only. It didn't work, but was a good insight on how I would respond to them. It wouldn't hurt if you just tried 1 round of them. That way you know you've covered all bases. And who knows...it maybe your lucky IUI :)
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Options
    @ndz2018 good luck on your removal on Monday and your transfer in March!!! I am so tempted to go straight to ivf because the success rates are so much better. The one and only thing holding me back from ivf is the cost. My insurance pays for meds and ultrasounds but does not pay for iui or ivf procedures. 
  • Options
    @tosh24 and @kristimh80 thank you for that great advice!! I can’t help but think maybe iui with injectables is all we need and it’s good to hear it at the very least could help us to avoid a “trial run” ivf! I didn’t really think about that aspect.