January 2018 Moms
Options

Biggest Surprises in Early Weeks PP

I saw this discussion while lurking on another BMB and thought we could all benefit from it!  STM+s or those PP with their first, what surprised you in the first few weeks with your newborn or your recovery.  Anything goes so lay it out there ladies!

Re: Biggest Surprises in Early Weeks PP

• Options
    Super surprised as a STM how gently my milk has come in this time around. With DS it was like “BAM!” Have some engorgement and a crap ton of pain. Not to mention the sprinkler boobs. This time it just slowly but surely filled right up.... Yes, they are humongous, but they also aren’t rock hard and there is no sprinkler nipple in sight yet.
  • Options
    I was surprised by how much I forgot, it really wasn't that long ago. Maybe it's selective memory. 

I was surprised that my baby stops breathing. Like how do you forget that? Scared the crap out of me, thank you Dr Google for reminding me they do this 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lol at sprinkler boobs

I forgot how many diapers newborns go through. A huge box is going to last like 2 weeks 
  • Options
    @burnsmommy27 OMG explain...like while they are sleeping kinda like sleep apnea?  Totally going to freak me out not going to lie.
    @sbishop426 well shit I don't have that many newborns in the stash...maybe I need to grab some more?  
  • Options
    I'm surprised that I've only cried once! With #1, there was daily waterworks, I was a mess. Not really sad, just crazy emotional.

@burnsmommy27 -  totally forgetful here. I've been thankful for all the baby care reminders from doctors, etc. I've totally had moments of " oh yeah, I forgot I needed to do that."
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    I forgot how paranoid I was the first night home from the hospital. I could not stop staring at him, making sure he was breathing and ok. The second night was much better. 
    I also forgot how noisy newborns are. Thank God for google to put my mind at ease. 
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• Options
    Lol at sprinkler boobs

I forgot how many diapers newborns go through. A huge box is going to last like 2 weeks 
    I stocked up on size 1 diapers... Then had a tiny baby who's going to be in newborn for a while.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    @conineml I forget what it's technically called, paced breathing maybe, but basically they breath really quick then really slow then they pause. The first time she did it I was like omg my baby stopped breathing and I was shaking her chest. DH reminded me it's normal but I still googled it.
  • Options
    I am actually surprised at how much my milk has come back... Not quite sprinkler boobs yet, but it is only time.  What bothers me is that this time I did not pump in the hospital at all!  

I will most likely have to breakdown and get another box of newborn diapers as well.

I am also doing better this time around with the crying.  First couple of days were rough, but now I only get a little iffy when the sun goes down.  I am mostly feeling guilty about DS1 and having to divide my time.

I remembered the noise and the breathing, but it is hard to get my brain to stop listening so I can sleep.
  • Options
    @conineml I think it just depends on how big your LO is. Some babies don’t need newborn for long. This little guy is long and skinny so I think he’ll be in NB longer than most. My first was a peanut and wore them for almost 2 mos but that’s not the norm